Chapter 19

A Jump in Time

Sakura sat on her bed, her hands leisurely playing the string of the yamatogoto she often kept under wraps, while Aoi and Juri hurried to pack the things necessary for the trip they would soon face.

 

Sighing, she played a deep chord, letting the sound echo throughout the room.

 

"Your Grace, you're going to damage the yamatogoto," Juri reminded kindly, as she folded some garments carefully.

 

"That's not true," Sakura said absentmindedly as she played that same chord. "I'm treating the yamatogoto as gently as I always do."

 

"That might be the case," Juri acquiesced. "But, sometimes, playing the same chord over and over can be harmful to the yamatogoto."

 

Sakura smiled sardonically. "You're talking as if such things could have a soul," she said, although she was completely aware of the meaning Juri gave her words.

 

"Do they not?" However, Juri did not back down.

 

Sakura sighed, limiting herself to continue playing the chord.

 

"Your Grace should talk to Chaeyeon soon."

 

This made Sakura stop her mindless playing. "What for?"

 

"So Chaeyeon can be at peace."

 

This made Sakura huff, knowing that, although Juri mentioned Chaeyeon, she actually referred to the Princess herself.

 

However, she wasn't wrong, so she sighed, saying, "And what can I say to dispel her anger?"

 

Juri did not answer. After all, the reason they fought was because of very different points of view. The Princess had already exposed her point of view, just as Chaeyeon had exposed hers. The only solution Juri could see was...

 

"And why should Your Grace be the one to dispel her anger?" Aoi said, slamming some beddings next to Sakura's bed. "The fact that Your Grace tried to look for justice for her should have been a grace she should have been thankful for."

 

"I truly did my best," Sakura agreed. "Did she truly expect me to do nothing?"

 

Juri sighed. "It's a matter of pride."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"Although Chaeyeon is someone stubborn, there are times she can be persuaded. However, trying to force her to accept somebody else's will hurt her pride."

 

"What?" Aoi exclaimed almost mockingly. "As a commoner, hasn't she experienced a life obeying someone else's will?" Although Aoi's words were meant to defend and console the Princess, they, instead, made Sakura pause.

 

'She comes from a place I do not understand at all. How exactly has she lived to be so angry about this?'

 

Ultimately, Chaeyeon now knew much about her, but she knew so little about Chaeyeon.

 

Maybe a talk was definitely needed.

 

"Your Grace, Lord Fujiwara wished to know if Your Grace could spare time to speak with the Fujiwara members," a maid announced outside the door.

 

Sakura looked at Aoi, who nodded at her, to then say, "yes, I will visit them at my uncle's study."

 

"I am grateful for Your Grace's understanding," the maid said before leaving.

 

"Would Your Grace want to change garments?"

 

Sakura smiled wryly. "No, these garments are good enough." Although a part of her was reluctant to interact with the Fujiwara's, she was relieved that the opportunity to distract herself from her unhappiness fell right in front of her. "Let us go."

 

To her misfortune, most of the family members that had come to celebrate her return were still staying here, some of them encountering her on the way to Official Fujiwara's study.

 

She acknowledged them absentmindedly without stopping her walk. Perhaps it was because of it that some of them started hurrying, probably to reach the study before her, afraid of being rude by arriving later than her.

 

Aoi nodded, as if satisfied, before murmuring, "this is how a Princess should be treated."

 

It was very clearly a dig at Chaeyeon, but Sakura, who was torn between agreeing with Aoi or disagreeing with her, said nothing.

 

Should Chaeyeon treat her the same way others did? Would she be satisfied if they went back to more formal interactions, just as when they first met?

 

But even when they first met, Chaeyeon had never been deferential to her. Even with looks or small remarks, she had always expressed her disapproval and anger. This time was no different.

 

Then, what should she do?

 

"Your Grace, Official Fujiwara is expecting your presence," a maid guarding the study's door woke Sakura from her musings.

 

Sakura gestured at the maid to open the door.

 

When she walked in, the members that were inside the study looked at her, waiting for her to greet them first.

 

"It is a good day to meet you all today," Sakura said evenly.

 

There were some variations of, "it is our honor, Your Grace," before Official Fujiwara spoke.

 

"Your Grace's journey was truly tiring. I cannot fathom the energy and kindness of Your Grace to see us."

 

"It is no effort. After all, being able to enjoy the company of my family is but a luxury." Sakura smiled lightly.

 

"Your Grace is magnanimous," one of the older members of the family said.

 

Sakura didn't answer, her expression calm.

 

"It is through that magnanimity that I venture to ask Your Grace about the events that happened at the temple where the 12th Prince resides," Official Fujiwara said, his entire attention on the Princess.

 

This made Sakura sigh. "Although our arrival was received with utmost hospitality, what transpired later would become a thorn in the soul. Initially, the Prince wished to have someone steal the 8th Princess's belt, to then hide it among the belongings of a foul person."

 

This made Official Fujiwara's eyes slightly widen, but his expression was soon pacified. "And how was this person discovered?"

 

"The 8th Princess discovered him." Sakura turned to look at the other members of the Fujiwara family. "Due to this unfortunate situation, we both decided to part ways. The 8th Princess went to the Tachibana manor to look for solace and knowledge."

 

"And what about Lord Yena and Lady Chaeyeon?" Another elder asked. "Have they stayed loyal to Your Grace?"

 

"They are loyal," Sakura answered, her face threatening to show her displeasure. "This is also why they accompanied me along the path."

 

Official Fujiwara's gaze was probing, but, after a moment, he nodded. "It is a blessing that Your Grace found loyal friends."

 

"It is," Sakura agreed half-heartedly. "Although I am saddened to entertain the possibility, we found archers on our trip to this manor, which I suspect were sent by the 12th Prince."

 

Some expressed their shock at such a turn of events.

 

"How could he dare to harm Your Grace?" one of the family members said.

 

This could have been something she would have agreed with long ago, but now, it seemed completely naïve. "This is something that I did not venture to think about. However, I came to have such terrible suspicions when assassins arrived at the inn I was resting at."

 

"How did Your Grace manage to be safe?" Official Fujiwara asked, his hand tightly formed into a fist.

 

"Lord Yena and Lady Chaeyeon protected me," she admitted, feeling a sigh lodged in . "They truly managed to guide me to safety."

 

The expressions of some of the family members showed approval, while Official Fujiwara's hands loosened their grip.

 

However, this didn't mean Official Fujiwara was relaxed. "Since my dear niece is resting at the Tachibana's, and Your Grace is here safe, we must not fret. Instead, we must be relaxed, but cautious."

 

One of the Fujiwara elders turned to look at Official Fujiwara. "Do you have any plans to defeat evil?"

 

This made Official Fujiwara smile. "A piece of good news arrived a few days before the 15th Princess arrived here. The Emperor has sent summons for the 15th Princess."

 

This shocked Sakura. Her father had sent for her. Why didn't Fujiwara tell her sooner? "Did the Emperor explain his reasons to summon me?"

 

Official Fujiwara got a scroll from his sleeve, and began to read. "These are the words of the Emperor. Although I am certainly troubled by my impossibility to attend the wedding ceremony of Minamoto no Jun, I wish to relay the regards and affection I have for the Minamoto family. My most beloved child, the 15th Princess, will take the tokens of Imperial Power and be present at the wedding. She is to give the Emperor's grace to the couple and their families. Only then will my heart be at peace."

 

A woman officiating a wedding ceremony? This was unheard of. Some of the members of the Fujiwara family murmured amongst themselves. However, they stopped when Official Fujiwara cleared his throat.

 

"It is the Emperor's will that Your Grace must make the journey."

 

This also surprised Sakura, though less than others. She was aware of the importance the Emperor put on her, but she was definitely unaware of how much until now. "If it is the Emperor's will, then I am certainly happy to obey."

 

However, there was now another problem. Was she to take Chaeyeon and Yena with her? The trip to the palace would be fine, as they would be surrounded by tens of guards. The problem would come when arriving at the palace. If they have struggled here, they would struggle far more at the palace.

 

Even then, she feared leaving Chaeyeon, as if something told her she would never see her again.

 

As if having read her mind, Official Fujiwara said, "Lord Yena and Lady Chaeyeon could stay here if Your Grace desires it. They can accompany me when time for the wedding is due."

 

This made Sakura feel both relief and anxiety. "I wish not to leave Official Fujiwara with such a burden."

 

"It is not a burden to have the Princess' friends at the manor. On the contrary, it is quite an honor." He smiled reassuringly, which settled Sakura a bit more. Although there was a certain danger of being discovered if they stayed here longer, it would be much less if they left with her.

 

However, Chaeyeon was in a hurry to go back to her home. Sakura knew she would not comply with the idea of staying here several months.

 

But she was injured, very much so. Of course, how could she push Chaeyeon to go beyond what her wounds would let her?

 

This made Sakura's eyebrow quirk slightly.

 

Yes, even if she feared not having Chaeyeon in her sight, she should stay. Moreover, Chaeyeon had promised to stay to rest when they arrived at the Fujiwara manor.

 

"Then I will trouble Official Fujiwara further."

 

"It is nothing but my own selfishness to ingratiate myself with Your Grace." Official Fujiwara smiled jokingly, making Sakura smile. However, this was brief, as the next question presented by another Fujiwara made her expression even out again.

 

"Is Your Grace going to tell the Emperor about the 12th Prince's behavior?"

 

"I would advise Your Grace not to do so," Official Fujiwara said.

 

"Why do you give such advice?" an elder asked.

 

"Although the Emperor has certain power to move troops to punish the Prince, this could only end with violent conflict. The 12th Prince has gone so far to try to harm the 15th Princess. What could he not dare to do?"

 

This made Sakura blanch. Although she had finally coped with the idea that her blood brother would try to kill her, the idea of full-scale war terrified her. What would be of the kingdom if they engaged in such barbarity?

 

"What is the idea Official Fujiwara has?"

 

Official Fujiwara leaned forward. "We must understand first what he wishes to achieve."

 

"Such a prince can only want more power for himself."

 

"That must be true," Official Fujiwara acquiesced. "However, if that is his wish, he would not bother to uproot the social order in such an overt manner. He would, instead, use his intelligence to gain such. Why is he willing to use violence? That is the question we must know the answer to."

 

"What do you think I should do?" Sakura asked, making everyone turn to look at her.

 

"Although the wedding is still quite some moons away, it would be advisable to leave early. According to the information I have received, there has been an influx of new monks in the past year or so. This is quite odd, but not out of consideration, given that monks tend to study fighting to defend the temples they serve." Official Fujiwara scratched his beard. "Instead, we must know with what words did he persuade his new recruits."

 

"How should this information be recovered?"

 

"If Your Grace finds it agreeable, I will send some officers that specialize on gathering such information before Your Grace's departure."

 

"Then it is alright to do so," Sakura answered. "Though it would still be reaffirming if I had a group of guards behind me."

 

"Of course, it would be a tremendous sin if I didn't do my best to protect Your Grace. I will prepare the best people, and, although I am sure the Emperor will provide a carriage capable of showing the Imperial Glory, I will prepare a carriage that honors such orders, so Your Grace can travel at ease."

 

"I am grateful for Official Fujiwara's oversight."

 

"On the contrary, I am grateful Your Grace is willing to let this man prepare for such journey."

 

"Will the 12th Prince go to the wedding as well?" another Fujiwara family member asked.

 

"This is something that cannot be known. If the Prince has decided to be hostile towards Her Grace, then there is no way to know if he will risk going. After all, he might already think Her Grace reported his brutish attitude to the Emperor."

 

"However, if he does go," Sakura interjected. "I will treat my brother with utmost cordiality. Whether he wishes to recur to violence or not, his actions must look sudden and completely unjustified."

 

"As expected, Your Grace is enlightened." Official Fujiwara smiled, his expression full of doting.

 

Sakura waved her hand. "I could not dare to describe myself as such."

 

The conversation then veered to topics regarding the vast issues regarding the Fujiwara family, as well as news from clans both close and distant to the family. Although Sakura knew that Official Fujiwara had other plans, but, knowing he would try his best to not involve her if it wasn't necessary, she followed the conversation, often letting other members look at her for both tacit approval and kind comments.

 

When she came out of the meeting, she walked slowly, but with purpose. She needed to speak with Chaeyeon, not only to truly try to understand her, but to tell her about her departure.

 

Aoi and Juri followed right behind her, no words spoken. They could see her intentions, even if she didn't express them. Asking was unnecessary, and an exercise in futility, as it was apparent that, in Aoi's case, she would not be able to convince the Princess to do anything other than what she wished to do.

 

However, when she arrived at Chaeyeon's chamber, she could perceive the loneliness of the place, as if no one was there. Her steps slowed even further before stopping in front of the door. She turned to look at Aoi, who sighed, but obeyed the unspoken order nonetheless.

 

The lack of answer made Sakura frown, to then heave a sigh. "She must be with Yena." She looked at Juri. "Get someone to find them, and come back to me to tell me their location."

 

"Wouldn't it be better to summon them?" Aoi asked.

 

Sakura felt torn. On one hand, yes, the most appropriate thing would be to summon them, but she wanted to soften Chaeyeon by looking for her.

 

"Fine, summon her." Even then, leaving her pride behind was difficult. "But be kind to them." She had to try, even if a little, to reach a middle ground for both of them.

 

----

"What? What do you mean she won't come?" her tone was both disbelieving and harsh. The maid that had come to announce the answer had been preemptively scared of conveying Chaeyeon's words, but now was trembling at the sight of the Princess' anger.

 

"I apologize to Your Grace, those are the only words Lady Chaeyeon told me. I asked for further explanation, but Lady Chaeyeon did not elaborate."

 

Aoi wanted to express her own fury, but, having to retain her own dignity in front of the Fujiwara maid, she didn't. Instead, seeing that Sakura would not speak, she said, "Fine, we understand. Go back to your duty and do not tell anyone about this."

 

The maid bowed and started her way back when Sakura interrupted her journey.

 

"Wait." The maid contained the cringe that when she was younger would've showed easily.

 

"May Your Grace command."

 

"Where was Lady Chaeyeon?"

 

"She is staying at Lord Yena's chamber."

 

"And how long has she been staying there?"

 

"I have heard that Lady Chaeyeon has been staying since a few days ago. She has not come out of Lord Yena's chamber, either."

 

This surprised Sakura. "Not even to have a meal? Or to accompany him?"

 

"No, Your Grace."

 

"You can go now."

 

There was a moment of silence, where both maids just looked at the Princess, who seemed to be in deep thought. There were some remainders of anger visible on her face, but she was calmer than expected.

 

Finally, Juri tentatively called out to Sakura. "Your Grace?"

 

"What is she planning?" Sakura grabbed a bit of her garments, as she murmured. She then turned to look at the maids. "Chaeyeon is not one to stay indoors for large periods of time. It's the opposite, really. If she really is refusing to go out, and she's staying at Yena's chamber… then, either something has happened…" her expression changed into an expression that reflected both anger and helplessness. "Or she's still angry."

 

"Regardless, that shouldn't get Your Grace worried," Aoi said, a bigger hint of anger on her face. "These people cannot appreciate your worry or your kindness."

 

"Aoi, get someone to spy on them, so I can know what their thoughts are," Sakura ordered, ignoring Aoi's words.

 

This didn’t particularly make Aoi happy, but she obeyed nonetheless.

 

To Sakura's delight, although there wasn't a way to know what they spoke about, she received an interesting piece of news.

 

"You say Lord Yena had a dispute with Gentarou? Concerning what?"

 

"I am not sure, Your Grace, but after the dispute, Gentarou left the library, and there was another dispute between the Lord and Lady."

 

This was something that she didn't expect. After all, even if Yena was not particularly good at pretending to be a noble, he was not someone who would fight other people indiscriminately.

 

"Did something happen after that dispute?"

 

"After that… Lady Chaeyeon left the library."

 

Sakura raised an eyebrow. "But Lord Yena did not leave?"

 

"Yes, Your Grace." Sakura stayed in silence for a moment before letting the maid go.

 

"What does Your Grace think about this?" Juri asked.

 

Sakura sighed. "I am not sure. A part of me thinks that they are hiding due to that dispute with Gentarou. However, if they fought each other, why are they treating each other normally?" The last sentence was said with a trace of sullenness.

 

"Maybe they worry Gentarou would talk about their fight with Master Fujiwara," Aoi suggested.

 

"Gentarou wouldn't do such a thing, much less if they are my friends," Sakura said, matter-of-factly. "He's one to just hide to protect himself."

 

"But they don't know that," Juri pointed out. "All they know is that Gentarou is part of the Fujiwara family."

 

Sakura hummed. "Then we should speak with Gentarou. Set up the curtain."

 

"Yes, Your Grace."

 

When Aoi had left, Juri asked, "Will it help to speak with him?"

 

"Maybe, maybe not." Sakura shrugged her shoulders. "I think that… somehow, he might know why Yena and Chaeyeon are hiding in his chamber."

 

"Would this help Your Grace?"

 

This made Sakura think for a moment. If Chaeyeon was being so obstinate about talking to her, maybe it would make no difference… even then, she wanted to know. If her pride didn't let her continually ask Chaeyeon to talk, it wouldn't stop her from wanting to know more about her.

 

Juri seemed torn for a moment before saying, "Wouldn't it be better if Your Grace spoke to them after seeing them at the wedding? After all, Chaeyeon is not one to hold a grudge."

 

That was also true. When they had fought, back when Chaeyeon had just woken up after several days of being unconscious, Chaeyeon had quickly apologized. Even if now it was taking Chaeyeon longer, her anger would definitely subside.

 

"But I can't just leave without talking with them, to at least let them know about my trip."

 

"You could write them a letter," Juri suggested. "Tell them about the necessity to leave, and remind Chaeyeon of her promise to stay here to rest."

 

"But, what if…" What if they leave?

 

Juri knew that to be a possibility. However, not wanting to scare the Princess any further, she said, "Chaeyeon promised to rest. And even if she didn't, being hurt the way she has would make it difficult for her to leave."

 

This made Sakura's brow twitch. "Natsumi…" However, she composed herself. Natsumi had already received what she deserved… but she was the main focus of the dispute between her and Chaeyeon. "Why was she so defensive about Natsumi?"

 

Juri did not answer. She had no other answer she could give Sakura, anyways.

 

"The curtain has been set and Gentarou has been summoned," Aoi said as soon as she entered the room.

 

"Alright, let's get there."

 

Sakura walked towards the open court where she would speak with Gentarou. Aoi shook her head right before she started following Sakura. Sakura had given Chaeyeon and Yena such an open invitation into her personal space, speaking with them not only in everyday life, but, in Chaeyeon's case, inside Sakura's chamber. Aoi didn't know if they knew or not, but the Princess had definitely treated them so well, she could not help but protest, especially when she remembered that Chaeyeon had lied to the Princess for so long, the former's attitude.

 

The court that was adjacent to Sakura's chamber was vast, with some seats that were put there so that the Princess would appreciate her surroundings if bored. There were also some scrolls that were stored there, most of them with poetry Sakura had written throughout the years.

 

Right near the stairs towards the court, there was now a table, and above it, a curtain that was translucent, letting the Princess see the person talking to her, but letting her be barely visible.

 

Sakura sat behind the table, and, therefore, behind the curtain. It wasn't but a moment after Gentarou arrived, his face betraying some wariness, but also some pleasure at being called.

 

" Good evening, Your Grace," he said as he slightly bowed before sitting down on the ground, right in front of the stairs.

 

"Good evening, Gentarou. I take it you have been well."

 

"Of course, Your Grace. The manor is nothing but respite from the harsh outside world," Gentarou responded respectfully.

 

"That it is, though, I know there are times when such respite becomes interrupted when one encounters a little unpleasantness."

 

This made Gentarou nervous. "Has Your Grace encountered unpleasantness?"

 

"Fortunately, I have been at peace while staying at the manor. However, I have heard you have encountered a misunderstanding."

 

"It was nothing, Your Grace." Gentarou bowed his head, quickly understanding what she was referring to. "But a spurt of horrid impetuousness."

 

"Is that so? It is then relieving. However, as impolite of me as it could be, I am curious about the cause of such spurt."

 

"Your Grace…" he seemed uncomfortable, but then acquiesced. "It appears that Lord Yena has had unfortunate happenings."

 

"Could I know what happenings he referred to?"

 

Gentarou gulped. "Lord Yena was not too clear with his words. However, he alluded to having lost his parents to the impervious passage of time."

 

"I am surprised. Although Lord Yena's unfortunate life events are upsetting, I cannot image that to be the reason it would cause misunderstandings."

 

"It was my own self-centeredness. I had explained Lord Yena and Lady Chaeyeon about my own life events. However, Lord Yena seemed displeased that I would be saddened by such events."

 

"That is interesting indeed, though a little disconcerting."

 

"Perhaps Lord Yena and Lady Chaeyeon were quite exhausted from the trip to the manor."

 

This could be true, but then again, both of them had spent some time at the manor without flipping out. "Did Lady Chaeyeon also share such displeasure?"

 

"No, Your Grace. The opposite would be true. Lady Chaeyeon spoke favorably of me in front of Lord Yena."

 

Then this made no sense. If Chaeyeon had gotten angry with Yena for getting angry with Gentarou, why was Chaeyeon still on good terms with Yena? Moreover, although it certainly was tragic for Yena to lose his family, Sakura could not figure out why this anger had come at this moment in time.

 

She felt frustration creeping in, but she didn't let it deter her.

 

"Lady Chaeyeon is a peaceful person. I could imagine her to be neutral in such a misunderstanding."

 

"That is certainly true. Lady Chaeyeon was nothing but considerate towards Lord Yena and me."

 

"Then it is a relief to know that such misunderstanding has not led to hatred."

 

It actually did, but, in front of the Princess, he could not declare his true feelings. "One must look for peace with all enlightened men."

 

This made Sakura eye him critically. She, of course, knew that Gentarou was making a dig at Yena. "And even with those that one would not consider enlightened, one would still show good will."

 

"Of course, Your Grace. It should be a given," he acquiesced, knowing very well what she was ordering him to do.

 

"There are other matters that I am interested in," Sakura said, deviating the conversation. Since Gentarou was here, he should at least help with both her negative thoughts and with the overall mission she and the foreigners equally shared.

 

"I hope I can be of help to Your Grace."

 

"It is no secret you are very fond of knowledge, and, as such, I imagine you have spent some time in the library of this manor."

 

"That would be right, Your Grace. Although it is nearly impossible, I have done my best to read all the scrolls kept here."

 

This made Sakura smile slightly. "What would you say is the area most appealing to you?"

 

This made Gentarou think for a moment. "This would be the area that relates to all past laws of previous monarchs."

 

"Is that so? I imagine then, that you are not particularly interested in things that are transcendental."

 

This made Gentarou flush. "There is interest to be had. However, when I inquired about such things, I would do so at a temple or shrine."

 

"What would you say is the most important truth that you have found at the temple?"

 

"It is quite difficult to summarize esoteric truths into a simple sentence coming from a person such as myself. However, I believe in the importance of communicating with the spirits and the gods, as they certainly have a say in the lowly matters of the earth."

 

"And to which temples have you gone to learn such lessons?"

 

"It is not quite a lesson that has been conveyed to me through humans, but something I have come to realize by visiting different temples and shrines."

 

"Although it is certainly important to worship and venerate the gods that reign over our world, I am curious as to why this is the most important truth."

 

Gentarou flushed. "I hope my words aren't too outlandish. One of the places that I went first was the Enryakuji Temple. There, I learned that all things, even those that we can see, touch, and interact with, are impermanent, mere mirages of the heavens. As such, even if this world can only imitate the heavens, our connection with the beings that roam there is important, to guide us and help us achieve a state of enlightenment."

 

"You say the world is a mirage?" Sakura asked absentmindedly. She had heard such words, precisely coming from one monk from the Enryakuji Temple, but at the time she hadn't taken much interest in it. Although there was some compatibility in the fatalistic way her people saw the world and this monk's teachings, there had been something about it that had always repelled her. Now, this was something that could help them.

 

"Yes, Your Grace. Although we all may appear separated, in our own worlds, we are all interconnected in such a way that our experiences transcend far away, even beyond the heavens, and are felt by every being. As such, to regard our reality as the true, fixed existence would be erroneous."

 

"And how would worshiping the gods would reconcile such view?"

 

"The gods can help us reach this fundamental truth, so that we can internalize such teachings. Moreover, I believe that, with the gods' oversight, we can understand better how to orient our actions to those that would let us reach enlightenment."

 

"Would you say there is a specific god one should search to attain such enlightenment?"

 

"I apologize to Your Grace, there is not one temple that can achieve this. Rather, one should search for guidance from all gods." However, at the sight of the Princess' disappointment, he hurriedly said, "However, if I may be presumptuous, I would say it would be a great sight to visit the shrine in Chichibu. The shrine worships Omoikane."

 

"The god of wisdom, of course," Sakura murmured. "It would definitely be a great sight. After all, I have felt the need to gain more insight into such matters."

 

"Your Grace is already enlightened." He bowed his head slightly. His words had no effect on Sakura. After all, she had heard a variation of these words many times, even in poetry. In fact, it would have been strange if he hadn't tried to curry favor with her.

 

"I would dare not claim so. I am still young, and I confident that, throughout my short life, I will gain more knowledge." Sakura looked at Aoi, then looked at Gentarou. "The day has become warmer, almost as if lulling oneself to sleep."

 

"It has," Gentarou agreed. "I would wish for Your Grace to enjoy such a warm climate."

 

"Then I will accept your good wishes. I bide you a wonderful evening."

 

"Likewise, I bide Your Grace a peaceful evening." Gentarou bowed before standing up, leaving alongside his own servants. Sakura waited until he was out of sight before he ordered Aoi to hang the curtain down.

 

"Does Your Grace desire to take a visit at a shrine?" Juri asked, though she knew this could not be something so benign. The Princess could not have gained such a sudden interest, as she had always been interested in only traditional interests.

 

Sakura hummed. "Maybe later, after the wedding." There was silence for a moment.

 

"Does Your Grace feel nervous?"

 

"Perhaps," Sakura admitted. "This is not something that I ever thought I would do. Would this also not bring dissatisfaction to the court?"

 

"Whether that is true or not, that is a consideration that the Emperor already had to have," Juri comforted, though there was a smile peeking on her lips. "If I can be a bit insolent, I think that the Emperor's actions also set the stage so that, in the future, no matter who the Crown Prince is, he will also take care of Your Grace."

 

However, Sakura was not disgusted by Juri's words. After all, she had always known that, out of all her maids, Juri had always been the most politically savvy. "Is that so?"

 

"Of course."

 

Sakura, despite the reassurance, sighed. "If the 12th Prince doesn't destroy the country, then maybe I will feel peace then." A part of her missed the moment before she understood the danger the country would suffer.

 

"Your Grace should not feel such a heavy burden," Aoi said softly. "Although Master Fujiwara has definitely counted on Your Grace's help to protect the country, there is also a lot more people who are protecting the country as well."

 

That was true, and, in another moment, this would have comforted Sakura. However, she knew something the maids did not: the existence of the writings. She remembered that Chaeyeon had told her that the Prince knew about the writings, and that they were given back to Chaeyeon. If the writings were given by another monk, then it means the Prince did not consent to giving them back.

 

What if the Prince did not know of their power, and that's why Chaeyeon was given them back so unceremoniously?

 

This made Sakura anxious, but it also made her feel that perhaps it was for the best that Chaeyeon stayed here. Although the Prince had definitely tried to kill her, now that she was leaving with the Emperor's order, there was no way he would be so audacious to try again. However, if Chaeyeon did go, maybe he would find a way to get to her.

 

A shiver ran through her back.

 

Even if she was going to be escorted by tens of guards, the fear of being outside came creeping in. What if he WAS audacious enough to try to kill her again? Would her end come then?

 

She felt Aoi's hand touching hers. Seeing her kind smile, she heaved a breath shakily. "Will we be alright?"

 

"Master Fujiwara would never let anything happen to Your Grace. Do not fret. He would send the entirety of guards within the manor if necessary."

 

She nodded, but stayed in silence for a moment, letting herself feel the comfort of Aoi's hand. However, even in such a situation, she remembered Chaeyeon's hug, back when she had felt so overwhelmed she had shed tears. The comfort she felt with Chaeyeon had been such, she had truly felt calm.

 

It was definitely foolish.

 

Chaeyeon was but one person. Why would she be more effective in quieting the Princess' fears than the tens of guards protecting her in this manor?

 

She did not understand.

 

"Juri, bring some paper, ink, and a brush."

 

When Juri had left, Aoi asked, "What does Your Grace want to do?"

 

"I will just write a message. After all, Chaeyeon must fulfill her promise to me."

 

It took everything in Aoi to not demonstrate her unconformity, instead, nodding her head stiffly, but her hand still grabbing the Princess’. She did not let go until Juri, alongside some maids, had brought the things the Princess had asked for.

 

After everything had been put on the table, Sakura took a deep breath, letting herself feel the calm of the Fujiwara manor… the calm before the storm. Then, she grabbed the brush to start writing.

 

'From darkness

 

On a shadowed path

 

I must make my way;

 

Let it faintly shine,

 

The moon upon the mountain's edge.'

 

'I must travel, as the Emperor has required my presence. Although I have conceded to such difficulty, I am left at peace knowing you will be waiting for me when I return. I do not wish to stay at such an impasse with you, but, knowing about your reticence to see me, I can only hope we can talk the next time we see each other. Do not push yourself, nor blame yourself for the human limitation in your body.

 

From the House of Yamato, the 15th Princess, Sakura.'