Chapter 17

A Jump in Time

Sorry for the long hiatus. Things have been pretty hectic this year, and I think they will become even more hectic. I won't abandon this story, no matter what, though. Hope you enjoy!


Yena was woken up by hurried steps that got closer as the seconds crept by. Chaeyeon, who had been trying to read a book, turned her head to look at whoever was about to open the door to the library.

 

"Why are you two here?" Juri asked, out of breath.

 

"I thought it would be nice to read a little more," Chaeyeon answered, not quite telling the whole truth. While Sakura had made it clear to her maids that she was to go out, as there were other things she had to do (leaving Aoi displeased), the Princess hadn't really specified what she needed to go out for, leaving the writings a secret that only she and the foreigners shared.

 

Ergo, why, after the first day of lessons, they ended up converging at the library every day, to practice their manners, and to look for any clue that might lead them closer to understanding the writings, and their usage.

 

Until now, it had been a bust.

 

"The Princess is alarmed that you're not in your chambers," Juri explained, though Chaeyeon felt that the maid meant to imply something else, as the glint in her eyes explicitly told, but the time traveller had long stopped trying to understand the meaning of those gazes.

 

"Does she want to see us?" Chaeyeon asked, putting the book down. She wasn't against seeing the Princess at all… it's just that something in the Princess' behavior had shifted the day Chaeyeon told her she came from the future. The young woman couldn't pinpoint the cause of her change, or what the change represented, and she was too afraid to ask (afraid of what?), so she just ended accepting it… with some reservations.

 

"She wants to see you, especifically."

 

"Oh," Chaeyeon exclaimed. Clearing , she turned to look at Yena, who was now looking at her the same damn way he had been looking at her ever since they arrived at the Fujiwara residence. "You know how to get back?"

 

"Yes, yes. Go on, Chaeyeon, save yourself," he said jokingly before lying down again.

 

"Oh, by the way, there's people coming to dress you, so you should get to your chamber," Juri advised.

 

"Noted," Yena answered, still lying down.

 

Chaeyeon snorted, internally noting the fact that Yena seemed completely at ease with Juri now. Although Chaeyeon knew they've had time together where Chaeyeon could not work as an intermediary, she didn't imagine Yena acting so nonchalantly around Juri. She hadn't asked, deciding to leave Yena's feelings alone, but she hoped Yena felt better in regards to his (lack of) romance with Juri.

 

"Try to get there on time," Chaeyeon commented before standing up to follow Juri.

 

After the few days she had been here, the surroundings had become something more familiar to her due to the small explorations she made in her free time (which was few, as Sakura required her presence for the greatest part of the day, mostly to often question Chaeyeon about her life in the future… it was difficult to shake her off the way she shook Yena off), which kept her from melting into boredom the same way she had at the temple.

 

A few maids passed by them, bowing at Chaeyeon slightly before going on their way.

 

"Has anyone from the clan visited you today?" Juri asked, turning her head to scrutinize Chaeyeon's answer.

 

"No," Chaeyeon replied, the same as she had for the past few days. This had become a question that she'd get asked every day, probably because Sakura was paranoid that her peers would come to realize Chaeyeon and Yena weren't nobility. She could sort of understand Sakura's fears, but it also tired her. She could barely imagine living like this, panicking about your own social standing, for an extended period of time.

 

"Good. Remember, the Princess has given orders to leave you two to rest, so if something happens, tell me, Aoi, or the Princess."

 

"The Princess worries too much, doesn't she?" Chaeyeon asked retorically, knowing that the question wouldn't anger Juri the way it would anger Aoi.

 

"It's difficult not to. After all, this is her home, and your impression on the Fujiwara clan will be a reflection of her character," Juri explained, as Chaeyeon predicted, calmly. Still, she could see that Juri didn't quite like the way Chaeyeon worded things.

 

"That's too harsh," Chaeyeon said, though she knew that this was also a reality in her present. People would judge you based on the company you entertain.

 

"It's harsh for a commoner, but it's something the Princess is already well versed in."

 

"I know. It's admirable, really." And Chaeyeon meant it. She didn't think she could withstand such pressure on the daily the way Sakura probably does.

 

The response made Juri smile a little, her features relaxing into the borderline playful expression she was used to seeing. "So that's why she is also very hurried today."

 

"Because of the party, right?"

 

Juri nodded. "She wants everything to go perfectly, so she wants to help you dress."

 

Something in that statement made Chaeyeon internally panic, but not wanting to reveal her strange state of mind, she said. "I'm sure the maids could've dressed me today."

 

"And they are going to dress you today," Juri countered, a smirk on her face. "The Princess just wants to make sure that the clothes you are wearing are perfect, and she can't supervise that if you're at your chamber."

 

"Oh."

 

"You don't like it?" Juri's tone was again mischievous.

 

"No! I mean, I'm alright with the arrangement. It's just… I'm surprised by the Princess' attention to these details."

 

"She tends to be like that, when the opportunity calls for it," Juri answered.

 

They arrived quickly at Sakura's chamber, with Juri sparing no time before opening the door to the chamber. There, the Princess was talking with some maids that had many layers of clothing it made Chaeyeon's head spin.

 

"G-good morning, Your Grace," Chaeyeon greeted, overwhelmed by the amount of people inside the chamber.

 

The Princess, against Chaeyeon's expectations, stopped her speech for a moment to offer Chaeyeon a small smile before continuing her talk with the maids. Interpreting that as a invitation to walk closer, she started hearing the conversation, which encompassed any and every type of clothing.

 

"There is no orange garment, then?" she heard Sakura ask.

 

"I apologize, Your Grace," the maid said, bowing her head in shame. Sakura smiled, but Chaeyeon could see the irritation.

 

"Would you be so kind to bring me the yellow garment?" The maid scurried to look for the garment.

 

"Chaeyeon." The younger woman nodded in acknowledgement. "You have arrived quite on time."

 

"Juri told me you wanted to help me dress?" Sakura frowned slightly, but then corrected her expression.

 

"I'm sure that's what she told you," she grumbled. "I want to be able to choose the clothes you are going to wear for the party."

 

Although she would have wanted to question the Princess, Chaeyeon already knew the older woman was committed to making both Chaeyeon and Yena appear as members of nobility, so the questions were futile.

 

"What is your verdict?" she asked instead.

 

"I feel that orange suits your complexion more," Sakura answered, still in thought. "Though they didn't bring me any clothes with that color, so I've settled for yellow."

 

Chaeyeon nodded, not quite following Sakura's thoughts.

 

"How has your morning been?" Chaeyeon asked. Sakura smiled wryly.

 

"Could've been worse." Sakura turned to look at the ceiling. "I have been informed that, apparently, other branches of the Fujiwara family are to come to accommodate me."

 

"Is that bad? Isn't that your family?"

 

"No." The answer was obviously surprising to Chaeyeon, as the Princess smiled humorously. "I know it's surprising, but I am not related to the Fujiwara family, not by blood, at least."

 

"Then, why…?" Chaeyeon didn't know if it was completely wise to ask such a thing, but, since Sakura had inquired all about her own family (with Chaeyeon giving her some details), the younger woman felt the right to ask as well (there was an undercurrent of wariness, though).

 

"Why do I have a chamber here?" Sakura completed Chaeyeon's question. "Although I am, by no means, a Fujiwara, they sort of adopted me into their family when I was very young. I don't understand why. It just happened, and since Rino was here to accompany me, I wasn't unhappy about the event."

 

"Don't you see the members of your biological family?"

 

"Not often." Sakura smiled. "They do acknowledge me as a member of the Taira family, but I am not treated as one. No wonder, as I grew up surrounded by Fujiwara nobles."

 

Chaeyeon nodded, humming at the explanation. It was certainly strange. What type of noble house, who has tens of youth to choose from, would adopt someone who was also born in luxury and wealth? She guessed it had to do with political happenings, but she couldn't be sure, nor did she want to develop such thoughts, as Sakura did seem fond of, at least, some members of her family (Rino, namely).

 

"Regardless, they will be arriving here throughout the day, and will greet me when the time is due."

 

"Will we have to speak to them?" Chaeyeon referred to herself and Yena.

 

"I'll try to make it so that you won't need to," Sakura promised, though, honestly, this seemed to reasure her more than it did Chaeyeon. Then she seemed to frown. "Though I hope it won't happen, you might encounter some of the nobles when you get back to your chamber, or wherever you were wandering off to. Do not entertain them that much. Present yourself, and then excuse yourself quickly. They won't force you to stay."

 

"Alright."

 

Finally, another maid brought the clothes requested by Sakura, who immediately turned her attention to it. Chaeyeon was marveled at the sudden focused expression Sakura wore. It was unlike anything she had seen while they were traveling. This was definitely her environment.

 

"Please, Chaeyeon, do tell me what you think of the clothes."

 

Chaeyeon, in all honesty, had no opinion of the clothes other than, "They are beautiful."

 

Sakura mouth twitched, as if she was containing a grimace. "It is graceful of you to say so, though, I would personally like for you to elaborate on that."

 

Understanding Sakura's usage of more elaborate speech, but not knowing what to say, she babbled the first thing that occurred to her. "It's very vibrant. I'm sure they will fit me perfectly."

 

It was not Sakura wanted to hear, but she accepted it, regardless, at least silently thanking Chaeyeon for using the language she had been taught.

 

"It's most likely that you don't know, but these clothes represent more than beauty."

 

"How so?"

 

"The clothes represent our social status within noble society, marital status, as well as age. Others are meant to just represent the season we are in."

 

"Will this apply to me?" Chaeyeon asked, a little marveled, but dizzy, at the explanation.

 

"Not quite," Sakura answered. "Although I've tried to match your clothes with your age and marital status, I won't try to refer to your social level, as I don't know if that would apply to you." The Princess hummed, as if she had thought of something else. "Ah, you will also have to explain this to other nobles."

 

Chaeyeon huffed, but nodded nonetheless.

 

"Please, bring me the inner clothing," Sakura commanded, with maids walking towards Chaeyeon and taking the hems of the clothes she was already using. "They will now dress you."

 

Although self-conscious, Chaeyeon didn't feel like protesting, especially in front of all the maids who were working to dress them. Instead, she closed her eyes, deciding to actually wait in silence until they finished dressing her.

 

Well, she had decided such a thing before she knew how long would it take to dress her.

 

After what seemed hours, she opened her eyes, finding herself looking at a the flurry of maids now dressing the Princess. She could barely make the sillhouette of the Princess due to the quantity of people attending them both, but it still made her feel weird.

 

Sighing, she found herself looking at Juri, who was helping dress her by pointing the other maids to the clothes.

 

"Is this too tardy?" Juri asked after she felt Chaeyeon's eyes on her.

 

"I'm not used to it," Chaeyeon confessed.

 

"Do nobles in Silla not use this many layers?"

 

Understanding that the ruse had already started, Chaeyeon said, "No, my friends and I are usually dressed with three layers, at most."

 

Juri smiled, nodding at Chaeyeon. "Then I must apologize for the tardiness."

 

"Do not apologize. I am grateful towards the Princess for being so kind to me." After that, the conversation ceased, making Chaeyeon focus on other things. Though, honestly, there wasn't much to entertain herself other than watching the maids fix her long sleeves.

 

The maids finished dressing Chaeyeon before they did Sakura. That didn't seem to matter to the latter, though, as it seemed she had instructed the maids to wait for her to get dressed before they continued preparing Chaeyeon for the party.

 

"Chaeyeon, I think it would be wonderful that you'd be able to show your country's beauty standards by helping the maids to paint your face," Sakura said when she had finally been dressed.

 

The younger woman hesitated for a moment, not knowing what to do, but, ultimately, she answered, uncertainly, "Of course, Your Grace. I'd feel honored." Turning to look at the maids, who had already prepared the make up, she thought about what to say. She had never been able to think much about make up or such, so she wasn't entirely sure about the trends of her time. She could only hope whatever she said wouldn't screw her face… to much.

 

"The lips are painted fully." One of the maids moved towards her with the tint that would be used to paint her lips.

 

"Are they painted over the lip line?" the maid asked.

 

"No," Chaeyeon denied. "They are painted just at the lip line."

 

It took another while for Chaeyeon to direct the maids that where painting her face. She had had to make some choices on what to wear, but, ultimately, knowing that Sakura would probably appreaciate she looked more the part of a noble, asked the maids to paint her eyes, hoping it would not look too terrible.

 

"That is all," Chaeyeon said when the maid had taken a few steps back, looking at Chaeyeon with anticipation for the next directive. "Thank you for the help."

 

When she turned to look at Sakura, she was surprised to see that Sakura's face was still being painted. It filled her curiosity that she fulfilled by continuing to watch.

 

After it was over, Sakura turned to look at Chaeyeon.

 

"Do you wish for me to stay longer, Your Grace?" Chaeyeon asked, hoping to get a breather from this room filled with people.

 

Sakura's lip quirked. "Why? Are you in a hurry to be somewhere else?"

 

"Of course not, Your Grace," Chaeyeon denied fervently. "I just wished to take a stroll before the party."

 

Sakura's eyes flashed quickly with an emotion Chaeyeon couldn't place. "Alright. We will see each other in the afternoon."

 

Chaeyeon bowed, just as Sakura had taught her. "Hopefully, you'll have a wonderful day."

 

Before she could take a step outside the door, Sakura ordered, "Aoi, would you be so kind to help Chaeyeon with her robes?"

 

Aoi nodded, her lips set on a grim line. Chaeyeon, on the other hand, fought hard not to cringe. Ever since they had arrived at the Fujiwara estate, Aoi had basically ceased to speak to her (out of her own volition; she still talks to them when Sakura requires her to do it) and Yena whatsoever, limiting to only glare at them whenever they appeared.

 

Chaeyeon suspected this happened because Sakura had prohibited the maid from lashing out at the foreigners, but now that they were to be alone, she feared Aoi wouldn't hold out against her.

 

Why had Sakura chosen Aoi? Why couldn't she choose Juri, as she always had?

 

Aoi just took a glance at Chaeyeon before grabbing onto the robes.

 

"Your clothes are safe with me, My Lady," Aoi said, shocking Chaeyeon. My Lady?

 

She knew she couldn't comment on it, so she just said, "I'll lead the way, then."

 

Prancing slowly towards the door, she watched the maids still moving quickly, probably either ready to vacate the room or do something else. Most of them bowed as she passed through, and she acknowledged them with a shake of her head.

 

Sighing in relief when she was finally outside, Chaeyeon walked towards the small river that ran close to Sakura's chamber. She didn't really understand why she was so fond of any body of water, considering she had been thrown into the ocean by that creature, but she found some kind of peace in them.

 

Though, being honest, she wouldn't usually be walking towards the part of the river that is close to Sakura's chamber, but rather, the one close to her own chamber. However, she feared, at some point, that, just like the Princess had warned, she would encounter someone from the Fujiwara family, and she would be forced to talk to them.

 

The walk was quiet, and it wasn't until they arrived that Aoi spoke.

 

"You shouldn't dirty your clothes." Her voice was rougher, and certainly more disdainful than moments before.

 

Chaeyeon didn't really want to confront the anger of Aoi, knowing that, as it was, the maid was prone to anger, but now that she had had several days to brew resentment, her fury would probably be something espectacular.

 

"I won't," she promised.

 

But she needed to.

 

"Uh… Say…"

 

"Don't say anything," Aoi ordered brusquely. "Someone's coming."

 

Chaeyeon felt the impulse to turn around, but she felt Aoi's tug on her clothes, signifying that she should stay where she was.

 

"Good morning," a man's voice announced, making Chaeyeon cringe. She was going to try to turn around again, but Aoi tugged her robes again.

 

"Good morning, Master Hideki," Aoi said courteously.

 

"I would like to extend my salutations to My Lady." Although Chaeyeon was getting frustrated at not being able to see what was happening, she didn't try to turn around again, knowing that Aoi would tug again on her clothes.

 

"My Lady welcomes the salutation, Master."

 

"Would My Lady be so generous to let me bow to her?" Was he asking her to turn around?

 

"I am sure My Lady would be delighted to greet you at the celebration."

 

"Would she really greet me then?" he asked, his voice humorous. "Would she not be in the company of the Princess then?"

 

"She is not one to not be courteous, Master. Do not worry."

 

The man huffed. "I understand. Though I'd wish for her to know my name. Fujiwara no Hideki. I'll plead for you to greet me by name, My Lady."

 

"Excuse us, then, Master," Aoi said, as if finalizing the conversation.

 

"Farewell," he greeted, and Chaeyeon could subsequently hear the sound of steps that became fainter.

 

When the steps couldn't be heard anymore, Chaeyeon asked, "What was that?"

 

"That was a noble from the Fujiwara family, probably intrigued by the guests we have," Aoi answered, her voice calmer than what Chaeyeon expected.

 

"Why couldn't I turn around?" Chaeyeon asked again. She was definitely afraid of Aoi's anger, but she needed to know what had happened.

 

"Because we are alone, in a very remote place. If someone, anyone, happened to pass by and saw you two talking, there could be terrible rumors."

 

"But you are here," Chaeyeon countered.

 

"That doesn't matter," Aoi answered, her voice filled with something more akin to irritation. "I would be seen as a facilitator between you two, and that wouldn't do well with the Princess' reputation."

 

"So I can't talk to men when I'm not with other nobles?"

 

"You can't." Aoi's eyes turned into slits. "You won't, unless you want to ruin the Princess' reputation."

 

"I wouldn't want something like that," Chaeyeon answered, feeling offended. She didn't want to incur in Aoi's wrath, but Chaeyeon couldn't let someone slander her like that, much less if it was in relation to Sakura. "Is that what you think of me?"

 

"Well, it didn't matter to you to lie to her," she answered crossly.

 

"Haven't I explained my reasons?"

 

"And you think those are enough for what you have done to her?"

 

"I know I hurt her with my dishonesty. I do. But why are you acting as if I have done something unforgivable to her?"

 

"Because you have," Aoi answered angrily. She opened to probably rant to Chaeyeon, but she closed it again, as if coming to a realization. "Regardless, what you have done can't be healed with a simple apology."

 

"Then, what do you suggest I should do?" Chaeyeon asked, though she was not interested in the answer. Sakura had forgiven her, hadn't she? Why was Aoi acting like she had killed Sakura's parents?

 

"You should stay here, with her."

 

Chaeyeon gaped at the answer, looking at Aoi to confirm she wasn't hallucinating.

 

"Stay?" she asked dumbly. Wasn't Aoi furious with her? Wouldn't she want her to leave?

 

"Don't think I like you or want you here," Aoi explained, crossing her arms. "But, for some reason, the Princess sees something in you, and I think... She would be devastated if you leave."

 

It took a moment for Chaeyeon to digest Aoi's words, but when she did, she grimaced. "I can't."

 

Aoi bristled. "Why can't you? Are you really that wishful to leave?"

 

"I need to find my sisters," Chaeyeon answered, matter-of-factly. "Just as much as you would wish to protect your Princess, I want to protect my sisters."

 

The answer, one that Aoi had most likely never heard, silenced her.

 

After waiting for a reply that never came, Chaeyeon asked, "Is that so bad, Aoi?"

 

There was a sigh. "It's not. Just… Can't you come back once you've found your sisters?"

 

No more lies. "I'll… I'll try my best." Though she already knew her best wouldn't be enough. She was to go back to her time, and, quite certainly, never come back. That had always been the deal, wasn't it? That is, if she understood the deal.

 

The not so safe reassurance made Aoi frown, but she nodded. "I'll hold you to that, Lee Chaeyeon."

 

"Chaeyeon! Oh…" And the tension of the semi-confrontation was over, brought to an end by an elegantly-dressed Yena. "Uh, hello."

 

"Good morning, My Lord," Aoi remarked, pointing a glare in Yena's direction. After all, Yena had always been the one to goof around in Sakura's lessons. Chaeyeon knew he meant no harm (most likely he didn't feel comfortable with acting in a way he never had needed to), but Aoi had been extremely close to probably choking him out of exasperation.

 

"Yes, good morning," he acknowledged, then turned to look at Chaeyeon. "Very fancy, huh?

 

"You and I both," Chaeyeon answered, smiling at Yena's exaggerated moves.

 

"It's almost like we are the real thing." Yena cleared his throat. "So, why do you have company?"

 

Aoi looked insulted. "Are you really pretending I'm not here?"

 

"Do you hear something?" Yena asked, clearing her ear. It was obvious Yena was joking, but Aoi, still raw from the resentment she had kept for Chaeyeon for a while, looked furious. "Don't fret too much, Aoi. I'm just joking."

 

Aoi seemed to want to yell at them, but, ultimately, said nothing, huffing instead.

 

"Anyway, what happened?"

 

"With what?" Chaeyeon asked, confused.

 

"With the dressing. Did the Princess really dress you?" Aoi glared at Yena, who raised her arms defensively. "Hey, I wasn't the one to say that. If you want to glare, glare at Juri!"

 

Aoi mumbled something under her breath, but her glare never diminished.

 

"No, Juri was just playing around," Chaeyeon answered, scratching her neck. "She wanted to choose the clothes I was going to wear. The servants were the ones to dress me."

 

Yena clicked her tongue. "And how is she?"

 

"Pretty stressed," Chaeyeon answered, remembering Sakura's sharp expression. "She really wants this to go well."

 

Yena smiled mischievously. "We're already dressed. We're already trained. What could possibly go wrong?"

 

Aoi scoffed. "Knowing you two savages, I'd say a lot."

 

Yena fake gasped. "Us? Savages?" He turned to look at Chaeyeon, who tried hiding her laughter. "Are we savages, Chaeyeon, dear?"

 

"I'd say so, Yena," Chaeyeon answered with mock solemnity. Yena shook his head, as in mourning. Aoi didn't answer anything else, knowing that these people (especially Yena), would find a way to joke about it, but she did roll her eyes in exasperation.

 

"So." Yena cleared . "Have you seen that Atsuhiko man?"

 

"Uh, no, not that I know of," Chaeyeon answered, finding Yena's awkward behavior strange. "Why?"

 

"Oh, uh, well." He got closer to Chaeyeon, as if to exclude Aoi from the conversation. "Juri told me something. Asked me a favor," he whispered.

 

"Which is?" Chaeyeon arched an eyebrow, her voice as low in volume as Yena's.

 

"Well, Juri said that Sakura has many suitors, and..." Yena looked at Chaeyeon closely, as if gauging her reaction. "She asked us to protect her from this one."

 

"Atsuhiko? Why? Is he dangerous?" Chaeyeon frowned. Wasn't Sakura supposed to be safe here?

 

"No, well… I'll tell you everything later."

 

Chaeyeon was going to question further, but her speech was interrupted by Aoi, who sternly said, "Stop talking between yourselves. It looks suspicious."

 

Yena grinned at Aoi when he moved away from Chaeyeon. "Sorry. Man stuff."

 

Aoi opened , as if to continue her chastisement, but her eyes suddenly bugged out. She took turns to look at both Chaeyeon and Yena, as if trying to decipher a puzzle.

 

"Do you... Are you...?" Then, she seemed to reconsider what she was going to say and shook her head. "No, I don't want to know."

 

At some point, Chaeyeon felt the need to clear up Aoi's thoughts, which were probably leading into misunderstanding, but decided not to. Yena had already messed up with Aoi too much, Chaeyeon didn't want to continue doing so. Plus, there were more important things to focus on.

 

"Aoi, can I take a walk with Yena? Alone?" She added when Aoi opened to protest. "The maids think we are siblings. If someone wants to talk to me, he'll speak for me."

 

"And that's what I fear," Aoi answered, giving Yena a critical look.

 

"I promise to behave properly," Yena announced, though it was obvious he wasn't too serious about it. Aoi judged him silently before huffing.

 

"Please, the Princess' reputation depends on you two behaving. Do it for her." Despite the steel in her tone, Yena didn't go against her words, nor joked about it. Instead, his face got serious for a moment, and then nodded, his jokey behavior back on.

 

"Of course I will, Aoi. I've trained so long for this." Aoi's gaze became a glare.

 

"If anything happens, I'll intervene," Chaeyeon reassured Aoi, feeling Yena slightly frown at her words.

 

"I will still be around from time to time, so don't get too comfortable," Aoi warned. "Remember, you are not to speak with anyone unless extremely necessary."

 

"Of course." "Yes, yes."

 

Aoi huffed, then walked away, leaving both friends alone, but not before giving them more glares.

 

"So what now?" Yena asked, trying to sound nonchalant.

 

"Juri didn't really say anything else?" Chaeyeon crossed her arms.

 

Yena balked at that. "Oh, well." He cleared his throat again. "He is not I'm-going-to-kill-the-Princess dangerous, but… uh…" He seemed hesitant to speak.

 

"What?"

 

"Well, Atsuhiko is pretty aggresive in his methods," Yena explained slowly, as if he was trying to find words. "Pretty pushy, Juri said."

 

"And why didn't she tell Aoi? Or does Aoi already know?" Chaeyeon asked, not understanding the uncomfortable feeling in her chest. Maybe she was worried about the Princess, but if she wasn't in imminent danger… then she shouldn't worry this much, should she?

 

It was difficult not to.

 

"Uh, no. Aoi doesn't know. The thing is…" Yena looked at the ground. "Uh, she's afraid that Aoi will react too strongly, so she asked us to help."

 

Chaeyeon frowned. That didn't make any sense. Yes, Aoi could be impulsive when she was angry, but the maid has been by the Princess's side for a long time, so if someone would know how to help the Princess while navigating the social world of the privileged and wealthy would be her. There was something else, something that Juri wasn't telling them…

 

Or is Yena hiding something?

 

But that doesn't make any sense either.

 

"Alright," Chaeyeon murmured absentmindedly. Ultimately, Sakura's well-being was more important than whatever Juri was hiding. "Has he already arrived?" she turned to look at Yena.

 

Yena seemed shocked for some reason. "Uh, I'm not sure. Might have heard the name, but I'm not sure who he is."

 

"Then we should investigate a bit. That's why Juri told us this so early in the day, right?"

 

"Sure, of course!" Yena agreed enthusiastically, making Chaeyeon narrow her eyes in suspicion.

 

"Why are you so pumped up out of nowhere?"

 

"Oh, well, because I'm bored to tears. If we have to do some reconoissance, then I'm with you!"

 

Shaking her head, Chaeyeon said, "This can't be taken too lightly. If Juri has decided to ask us for help instead of telling Aoi, then it must be important." With a sigh, she added, "let's go."

 

Yena grinned, as if he was tickled by something. "Sure thing, captain."

 

"Alright, so… who can we ask about the guests without alerting anyone?" Chaeyeon asked, switching to Korean, as they walked through the estate.

 

"I don't know… Maybe… Maybe I can flirt the information out of a maid!"

 

"What?" Chaeyeon half side-eyed Yena, half laughed. "And how do you think you're going to do that, Romeo?"

 

"Although I don't know who Romeo is, know that I understand what you mean, ," Yena bit playfully. "With my charm, of course."

 

"Uh huh. The charm that got a blood-thirsty crowd to pursue you?" Chaeyeon snorted.

 

"You're not supposed to remember that." Yena hit Chaeyeon's arm.

 

"Moreover, how much time would this take?"

 

"Not too much. It's not like I have to make them fall in love with me."

 

"It sounds dumb."

 

"You have a better idea? Or do you want to ask them point blank?" Yena smirked, as if he knew what Chaeyeon would say…

 

Dammit.

 

"Fine, let's try that." Chaeyeon huffed. Hopefully they wouldn't get in trouble… too much trouble. "Just… don't make Aoi want to strangle us."

 

"Of course. Who do I think I am?" Yena fake scoffed. Then his expression changed into what Chaeyeon assumed was Yena's charming face. It almost made Chaeyeon snort again.

 

"Stay here for a moment," Yena said, patting his own chest. "This have to be done without annoying sisters."

 

Chaeyeon managed to hit him before he left, grumbling as he saw him walk towards a pair of maids. There was some conversation for a moment, but it stopped abruptly when a scowling Yena turned around, walking away from the now giggling maids towards her.

 

"What happened?" Chaeyeon couldn't help to crack a smile.

 

"They don't know how to receive compliments," Yena grumbled. "But we got the information, so, at least, my pride didn't get stomped on for nothing."

 

"You'll manage," Chaeyeon said jokingly. "So, is he already here?"

 

"Yes, he has just arrived," Yena answered, making Chaeyeon frown. "What do you want to do?"

 

"We need to know who he is, and if he is safe enough to leave alone, at least until the party." Although it didn't seem that Sakura was in immediate danger, Chaeyeon wanted to make sure that she wouldn't be accosted by such man, or, at the very least, to be able to separate them for as long as possible. Thus, she needed to see who he was and what his personality was like.

 

"So, you want to spy him?"

 

"No, I just want to know who he is," Chaeyeon answered, not quite liking Yena's expression of excitement and smugness that she didn't understand. "Stop that."

 

"Stop what?"

 

Chaeyeon huffed. "Nevermind. Let's look for him."

 

"Where? I mean, he could be anywhere, and this place is huge." Yena gestured at the different buildings.

 

"Did you ask them where he was?"

 

"Of course not. I would have looked strange if I asked too much about him."

 

With a sigh, Chaeyeon said, "then let's look at the library."

 

"You think he's at the library?"

 

"Maybe? I don't know. I mean, he could be in his own chamber, which location we don't know about. He could be at a public place like the library or one of the places where the river passes through. Or… he could be with Official Fujiwara."

 

"Well, that doesn't shorten our search at all," Yena commented saracastically. "Library?"

 

"Library." And they started walking towards it.

 

"What did those maids even tell you?" Chaeyeon asked, truly curious of Yena's reaction.

 

"Well…" Yena was hesitant to tell. "Don't tell anyone about this! I just asked some dumb question of where the library was, and, when they answered, I praised them for being so helpful, briefly mentioning that I hoped that they would be as helpful to everyone that arrives. I then asked them if anyone had already arrived, and they told me some names that I don't remember. I thanked them again, and tried complimenting their beauty, but they just said that they knew they weren't the first to be praised like that and laughed at me. Laughed!" By the end of the story, Yena was already pouting, his expression petulant. "Don't laugh!"

 

"Can't help it," Chaeyeon answered, her smile too wide to not be counted as laughter. "I mean, I'm not surprised. I just find hilarious that you're so bummed out about this when you were treated the same way the day we first arrived."

 

"Well, I expected that now that I look very fancy, women would be flocking to me! But no one, no one has appreciated my handsome beauty!"

 

Knowing that, while Yena was still sulking, he was now exagerating the situation, Chaeyeon felt free to laugh.

 

"Sure, sure. I'm sure someone will appreaciate your handsome beauty!" she assured her friends, exaggerating her gestures, her accent becoming more posh.

 

"Hah, sure hope so! I'm already so tired of these clothes." Yena swung his arms.

 

"You also find them heavy?"

 

"More than heavy, just too much, you know? Too fancy, too adorned."

 

Chaeyeon hummed, understanding Yena's dislike of the wealthy life. "This is a one in a lifetime chance, though. I don't think we're going to dress like this ever again when we leave."

 

"I know," Yena acknowledged. "Maybe in the future I'll look at this with some humor, but right now I can't help but feel uncomfortable," he admitted, his tone quiet and sincere.

 

"You kind of feel like you don't belong," Chaeyeon guessed. "It's fun to look at this from the outside, but not when you're forced to act in a way that reminds you of how removed you are from all of this."

 

Yena turned to look at Chaeyeon, his smile shining soft. "Yes, just that. I mean, I'm not that bad of a liar, and lying is not a problem, but this is too much for me."

 

"I get it." Chaeyeon patted Yena's arm, hoping to console him in some measure about their current situation.

 

When they were in front of the library doors, Chaeyeon turned to look at Yena, who, understanding Chaeyeon's hesitance, opened the door to it. Inside, there was a man who was sitting, quietly reading while two male servants stood close to him. He raised his head at the interruption, then smiled slightly when he saw the foreigners.

 

"Good afternoon," he said, putting the book he was reading on the table.

 

"Good afternoon," Yena greeted hurriedly when Chaeyeon subtly hit his back, bowing the way Sakura had taught them, with Chaeyeon quietly following.

 

The man smiled. "Is it correct to assume you are the 15th Princess' foreign company?"

 

"Yes." Yena nodded. Chaeyeon mentally facepalmed, wishing that Yena would remember to speak as formally as he could. As if he had listened to her complaints, he added, "It would be correct."

 

"I'm delighted to meet you," he said, bowing. "I'm sure you are here to drink from knowledge as I am know." He gestured to his servants, who moved to make space for both friends.

 

"Oh, that would be… delightful, but we are just taking a walk to appreaciate the nature," Yena saved his own answer, making Chaeyeon sigh in relief.

 

The man frowned. "I would insist. No one should feel barred from learning."

 

Yena was going to deny the offer, but Chaeyeon patted his back subtly. "Uh, alright. We shall not hold back."

 

They slowly walked inside the library. Chaeyeon pointed with her eyes at a shelf close to the man, who had now sat down again.

 

"Why did we enter? Don't we have to look for this man?" Yena whispered in Korean.

 

"We were going to appear as rude if we left," Chaeyeon answered in the same tone, her eyes perusing the books to conceal their actual disinterest in being there.

 

"How was that possible? I explained to him that we wanted to take a walk."

 

"You opened the door. To him, we must seem like we wanted to read something. If we left, it would have looked like we left because he was here." Yena huffed.

 

"I apologize, as I didn't give you a name to call me," the man said, making both of them turn around to look at him. The man was bowing when he greeted, "My name is Fujiwara no Gentarou."

 

"Pleased to make your acquaintance. I am Choi Yena." He bowed half-heartedly. "And this is… Choi Chaeyeon." She bowed, ignoring the way her last name had to be change to go along with the lie.

 

"If you don't mind my impertinence, what is your family name?"

 

"Our family name is Choi."

 

"Oh, are you two siblings?" he asked, genuinely shocked.

 

"Yes, we are," Yena confirmed.

 

"I apologize." Gentarou bowed his head. "Given that you, being distinguished people, look so different from one another, I assumed that you were spouses."

 

"There was no harm done," Yena answered, his expression becoming more uncomfortable at the exaggerated apology."We have finally found what we were looking for. Hopefully, we'll see each other soon."

 

"I hope for that, too," Gentarou answered, though his expression betrayed the confusion.

 

"Why did you tell him so quickly that we were leaving?" Chaeyeon asked after they had quietly left the library.

 

"Because it was so awkward!" Yena exclaimed. "You saw how he talked to us?"

 

"Formally," Chaeyeon answered, but sighed, understanding Yena's thoughts on the matter. "Well, at the very least, we know he isn't Atsuhiko."

 

"Where do we go now?"

 

Chaeyeon thought about it for a moment. "Maybe… we should look at all the places the lake passes through?"

 

"That will take very long," Yena protested, uncomfortable with the idea of having to speak like this to every person they encounter. "What if the man we are looking for moves from where he is while we are looking?"

 

"Hmm… Well…" Chaeyeon wanted to acquiesce, but she couldn't, in good faith, let Sakura be harassed by that man. She needed to know who he was, so she could take appropiate action. "I'll go alone. We'll see each other at the party."

 

Yena groaned. "No, you know we are a package deal. Let's go, then."

 

Feeling bad for Yena, she insisted. "No, no. I'll go. If anything happens, I'll see what I can do."

 

"Do you want to get rid of me?" Yena asked with mock hurt.

 

Chaeyeon rolled her eyes. "I'm trying to be a good friend, ."

 

"Well, be a good friend, and lead the way." Yena gestured at the front, smirking when Chaeyeon just gave him a deadpan stare.

 

"Fine, fine." And with that they started their walk to the river.

 

"Why are you so insistent to come with me if you hate talking to the nobles?" Chaeyeon asked curiously. After all, Yena had never felt the need to follow Chaeyeon if it wasn't necessary, and for Yena, this had to be the epitome of unnecessary. Maybe he even felt Chaeyeon was being excessively protective.

 

Yena shrugged. "I want to see how well things go."

 

"What could go wrong anyway?" Chaeyeon asked, her mind now filled with skepticism. "Or do you know something?"

 

"About what?" Yena asked, laughing nervously. "I just want to see if something stupid happens to you... I mean, something stupid always happens to us."

 

"Maybe so." Yena's explanation of his behavior was becoming more apparently fake, which made Chaeyeon feel wary. She knew Yena would never mean wrong, but he was definitely onto something. "Let's go, then."

 

"Yes, Captain!"

 

The walk towards the nearest passing of the river was thankfully empty of any surprise encounters, as there was only the maids passing by as hurriedly as they could, stopping to bow at them to then continue their rush towards their destination. It let both rest (okay, it was more like Yena was resting from having to interact so formally, while Chaeyeon was surveying every nook and cranny they passed by, just in case they found Atsuhiko).

 

"Well, here we are." Yena's steps slowed down, while Chaeyeon's didn't let up their quick pace.

 

"You see someone close by?"

 

"No, zero people," Yena reported, giving a small overlook at the lake. "You know, maybe we should go back. He's not here... I mean, most likely."

 

"I need to know who he is," Chaeyeon answered obstinately. "I just... what if he manages to harass the Princess, and because of my lack of knowledge, I couldn't do anything to help her?"

 

"I really doubt the Princess would let us leave her side, anyway," Yena argued. "Moreover, he just arrived. There's a bigger chance that he's resting."

 

"Or that he's somewhere around the estate, like the man at the library. I mean, you can go rest for a while if you want."

 

"No, no, let's go. What kind of friend would I be if I left you to do this on your own?" Yena's tone became more jokey, and that meant that the matter was settled... or so Chaeyeon hoped.

 

"Then let's go a little down the river."

 

Despite Chaeyeon's best efforts, there wasn't anyone to be found. Instead, as they went further south, the environment became even more isolated and lonely, and it was difficult to even hear the hustle of the maids walking here and there. It made Chaeyeon relax, but feel anxious at the same time. She wished she could find that man as soon as possible. Only then, she could feel at peace (relatively speaking, of course).

 

"Well, I guess there was nothing here." Yena nodded assuredly.

 

"I guess not..." Chaeyeon mumbled. "So, where could he be?"

 

"I think... oh gods, look...!"

 

Yena's words were interrupted by a shriek that made Chaeyeon immediately move to face whatever it had made the sound. She had no time; the bird had already rushed to attack her.

 

Chaeyeon could only croak out a "" before she started moving frantically, wishing to make the bird stop its attack.

 

"Wait, wait, let me... Ouch, god!"

 

Chaeyeon could feel the birds claws burrow into her arms, most effetively ripping her sleeves off. Regardless, it was better that being clawed in the face, so she just tried blocking it with her arms. Yena was honest to god trying his best to help Chaeyeon, but the bird acted as if it was posessed, rage obvious in its shrieks and violent, swift movements.

 

"! Yena!" Chaeyeon bellowed when she felt a rock hit her head.

 

"Sorry, sorry. I'm trying to..."

 

"Stop! You're not going to hit it!" Chaeyeon yelled again, but it was in vain, as a rock was able to hit her square in the nose, making her groan in pain. "! Stop!"

 

"Moriya!" a femenine voice exclaimed daintily, and, as if it was a spell, the bird flew away from Chaeyeon and towards the woman who now approached them, a frown etched on her face. "Moriya, I thought you knew not to fly away!"

 

Yena rushed towards Chaeyeon. "Are you alright?"

 

"I would have been better if you hadn't started throwing rocks," Chaeyeon snapped, bringing her hand to clean the blood that was pouring down her face. It was in vain, as her arms were also slightly bloodied, making Chaeyeon realize the harm the bird had actually caused.

 

"Sorry, I thought I would be able to hit it," Yena apologized. He tried helping her wipe the blood, but their exchange was interrupted by the young woman.

 

"I apologize, Your Grace. I wasn't aware that Moriya had such terrible manners," the young woman said, but it was obvious to Chaeyeon the woman wasn't apologetic at all.

 

"I am not the Princess," she gritted out as she tried to contain the blood.

 

The woman expression turned into shock when she saw blood in Chaeyeon's face and arms. "I am terribly sorry!" She bowed deeply, her expression now turned into truthful regret.

 

"It's alright. Nothing went worse," Chaeyeon said, though, at some point, she wished to be able to have a selection of words with this woman.

 

"My Lady!" . It was Aoi. "What has happened to you?"

 

Soon, the maid was crouching, looking at Chaeyeon with an aghast expression that soon turned into fury. "Are you alright, My Lady?"

 

"I'm alright, Aoi," Chaeyeon said, starting to feel the hairs on her neck stand up at the potent glare.

 

Aoi turned to look at the woman, who looked even more embarrassed and regretful. "Good morning, My Lady. Were you hurt as well?" Aoi asked, her voice kind of sugary, but obvious menace hiding behind those words.

 

The woman shrinked. "I am well, Aoi. I am grateful for your care."

 

Aoi nodded. "Perhaps, do you know what has happened to Lady Chaeyeon?"

 

"Ah, uh…" the woman mumbled. "I… well… Moriya lost control of himself."

 

"Oh, Moriya," Aoi agreed, as if she was remembering something. "Is Moriya well? Has Master Yuichi accepted him?"

 

"No, he hasn't." The woman turned to look at Chaeyeon. "I am terribly sorry for the pain and hurt I have cause." She bowed deeply again.

 

Chaeyeon was going to answer, but Aoi spoke first. "I apologize for not being able to stay longer. It will be necessary to take Lady Chaeyeon, our distinguished guest, to care for her injuries." Chaeyeon waved off Aoi and Yena's help to get up.

 

"No, it is quite alright," the woman said. "Would you perhaps wish for me to accompany you?"

 

"I would not want to burden you with this, Lady Natsumi. You are not at fault for what Moriya has done." Aoi's words made the woman deflate.

 

"Of course."

 

"Hopefully we will meet again later," Aoi said, bowing to the woman. Chaeyeon and Yena followed suit.

 

"What in gods name has happened to you?" Aoi asked angrily as they walked off.

 

"It was her stupid bird," Chaeyeon spat spitefully. She still felt the sting of the cuts in her arms. "Why did it attack…" She remembered the words the woman, Natsumi, had said. "She thought I was the Princess…"

 

The news didn't seem to faze Aoi. "Yes, Lady Natsumi and the Princess haven't gotten along in well… ever. I imagine Lady Natusmi wanted to play a prank on the Princess, but Moriya ended up attacking."

 

"So, it wasn't on purpose?" Chaeyeon raised an eyebrow.

 

Aoi shook her head. "No, Lady Natsumi might be petty, but she has no love for violence. Still." Aoi's eyes filled with anger. "She will have to speak to Master Fujiwara about this. She has hurt a guest, and that is unacceptable, even if that guest is you."

 

"Gee, thanks," Chaeyeon muttered sarcastically. "Am I getting a clothes change?"

 

"Of course you are," Aoi affirmed. "But first, you need to have your nose and your arms checked by the medic."

 

Chaeyeon nodded, not in the mood to disagree. She didn't want to, anyways. Her arms hurt like hell, and her head wasn't far behind.

 

"Hey, Chaeyeon," Yena whispered.

 

"What?" Chaeyeon whispered as well, her tone still noting irritation.

 

"Do you want a lift?"

 

Yena's offering made the corner of her lips curl upwards, making her almost forgive Yena for the dumb idea of throwing rocks near her face… almost. "I don't think that would be appropriate here."

 

"I don't think appropriateness is the biggest problem right now, is it?" Yena shot back.

 

"Is isn't," Chaeyeon conceded. "But still, I want things to go smoothly for the Princess."

 

"As smoothly as they can go now. Look, there's some people looking at us, well, you, especifically." And that was true, some of the maids that were passing by had stopped at the sight of a bloody and a little indecent Chaeyeon, who almost felt like covering herself (covering what? It wasn't like they were watching her body).

 

"Great."

 

They arrived at the medic's place pretty soon. The medic, who had checked on Chaeyeon's chest, was shocked for a second time when he saw the three of them enter.

 

"What has happened to you, My Lady?"

 

"She has been unfortunately attacked by a savage bird," Aoi explained.

 

The doctor gesture for Chaeyeon to sit on the bed. "How much pain do you feel?"

 

"Honestly? I feel more pain in my nose than in my arms." Yena smiled sheepishly.

 

The doctor checked on Chaeyeon's injuries, his focus more concentrated on the latter's nose. "I apologize, my Lady, but I don't believe this will heal easily."

 

"Is it swollen?" Chaeyeon asked, straight to the point. She already felt the difficulty to breathe, so the confirmation was almost moot.

 

"Yes, my Lady. I will try to prescribe you something to lessen the swelling, but I believe healing will take some time."

 

Chaeyeon sighed, resigned at what would probably be a very nasty bruise. "I understand."

 

The doctor left for a moment to grab some materials to make the medicine, leaving the three of them alone.

 

"What happened to your nose? It doesn't look scratched," Aoi asked, inspecting Chaeyeon's swelling nose. To that, Yena cleared his throat.

 

"Well… I might have tried to make the bird run away by throwing rocks and, well…"

 

"You did that?" Aoi gaped at him. At Yena's nod, she muttered, "I can't believe you both have survived as long as you have."

 

"Where is Mina, though?" Yena asked, eyeing the bed Chaeyeon was now sitting on.

 

"She was moved to another chamber," Aoi answered, not fazed by the inquiry. "So she could be more comfortable."

 

"That's good," Yena exclaimed, still eyeing the bed.

 

The doctor returned with the medicine, which was now in a small porcelain flask. "Here it is. You should drink this for now."

 

Grabbing the flask, Chaeyeon thanked the man and drank it, sputtering a little at the bitter taste. When she had handed it back to the doctor, he said, "Now, we need to bandage your arms. I'll try my best to not let them inmobilize you."

 

That was a worse process, as the man first washed the slashes on her arms, which stung like hell. Covering them with a cloth was less painful, but it was certainly restricting. It made Chaeyeon grimace. How was she supposed to move now? She couldn't stay resting forever.

 

Her pessimistic thoughts were interrupted when Aoi interjected, "We need to go back to the Princess' chamber to change your clothes."

 

"Do we have to go back to her?" Chaeyeon wondered.

 

The question didn't sit well with Aoi. "Why? You don't want to see her?"

 

At the incensed question, Chaeyeon raised her arms, wincing at the pain. "No, I just don't want her to be more anxious than she already is. Isn't it possible for you to find clothes on your own?"

 

Aoi seemed to consider Chaeyeon's words. "Maybe… Maybe I could. Let's go to your chamber, then."

 

"Yena." The man perked. "Can you help me be on the lookout for Atsuhiko?" Chaeyeon whispered.

 

He nodded, giving Chaeyeon a thumbs up. "Sure thing. I'll be looking for him. Don't fret."

 

This gave the younger woman more tranquility. "Alright. Please, come tell me if you see him."

 

"Of course, captain." Aoi cleared , obviously impatient at the two of them.

 

"We must leave now. There is not much time for the party to start," she said, gesturing at Yena, who already understood that he couldn't come with them.

 

"Alright, see you later," Yena greeted, and, after he also said goodbye to the doctor, he left.

 

"Where do we have to go?" Chaeyeon asked when she and Aoi were already on their way.

 

"First, I have to take you to your room. It would be unbecoming to have a noble and a guest running around to find clothes to dress with. Moreover, the clothes you're wearing are torn, and your bandages are visible. It would attract even more unbecoming attention."

 

"Alright, going to my chamber, it is."

 

Aoi's steps were quick and hurried as she guided Chaeyeon through the more solitary paths within the estate, making for a more private trip that led them with relative speed at Chaeyeon's chamber. Surprisingly for Chaeyeon, the maid didn't utter a single word throughout the whole trip. Her expression was more focused, as if she was in deep thought. It still marveled Chaeyeon how the Princess and Aoi found these matters something of extreme urgency and utmost care.

 

"Unfortunately for us, we will have no other choice but to have me to dress you with no help," Aoi said when they arrived at Chaeyeon's chamber. When the latter opened to ask, she added. "If we want the Princess to not know about what has happened to you, then we can't let any other maid know, as most are right now helping the members of the Fujiwara family that have arrived while others are helping the Princess. It would be obvious if I borrowed someone else's help."

 

Chaeyeon nodded. "Alright, then I'll wait here." She entered her chamber as soon as Aoi left.

 

She examined the chamber she had now become a bit accustomed to. How would it be to live in such a place? The luxury (luxurious according to this time, anyway) was probably comfortable, even safe compared to the ordinary people to broke their backs working from morn til' noon to have something to eat. The only fault to this environment was the people and it's strange culture.

 

Chaeyeon could definitely manage, if she had to make the choice.

 

She laid on the bed, closing her eyes for a moment, sighing when she felt her muscles unwind.

 

How would it feel to have the obligation to marry? To have the many suitors the Princess seemed to have? The idea made her uncomfortable, though she couldn't discern whether the idea of having suitors made her uncomfortable or if the idea of Sakura having suitors was unlikable. She decided it was both. If Sakura didn't wish their company, why did she have to tolerate it?

 

This is why she felt the need to help Sakura in whatever way possible. She wanted the woman to feel comfortable, even for a moment.

 

This also made Chaeyeon wonder. Does Sakura have any friends within the Fujiwara family aside from Rino? If that is the case, will they come to see Sakura? Maybe that could help.

 

But somehow, that made her uncomfortable, too. An image made its way into her mind. She could easily picture Sakura with her friends, happily laughing and sharing joyful moments while she and Yena were left to their own devices.

 

Or maybe she was being ridiculous.

 

She was, wasn't she? After all, wouldn't it be better if Sakura had people who supported her, who liked her and spent time with her?

 

'She would be devastated if you leave.' Those were Aoi's words, and if they were true (Chaeyeon was inclined to believe they were), then, it was definitely better that Sakura would have someone to accompany her when she leaves.

 

Of course, she is leaving. She won't be here soon enough. There is no reason to resent Sakura in someone else's company. The only thing she wants is for Sakura to be comfortable, without suitors breathing down her neck.

 

The door to her chamber opened suddenly, a pile of clothes hiding the small body that carried them.

 

"Here. I had to take some detours to make sure the Princess didn't realize these were missing." Aoi, having no one else to help her with them, piled them onto the bed, to then start accomodating them on the bed.

 

Chaeyeon stood up. "What do I do?"

 

"Take off your clothes," Aoi said without raising her head. "That way we'll spend less time dressing you again."

 

Chaeyeon did as told, taking off her clothes and throwing them haphazardly on the floor. The ones that were too heavy to just throw away, she let them fall around her. She didn't get to the last layer before Aoi was already in front of her. The maid grimaced at the clothes, but said nothing about their treatment, instead pulling Chaeyeon to her.

 

"Let me help."

 

Despite Aoi's help, it still took quite a while to undress Chaeyeon, to the point that when the latter was already left in her underwear, she breathed a sigh of relief. This didn't foretell a better experience, as the act of Aoi putting her clothes on took a exorbitant amount of time. If Chaeyeon thought the earlier dressing was laborious, that was nothing compared to a single person having to put several layers of clothing.

 

"Holy , finally," Chaeyeon exclaimed when Aoi finished the last touches to the outer garment.

 

Aoi snorted, despite herself. "This is what being a noble is all about. I hope you can appreciate it."

 

"I do. Thank you, Aoi," Chaeyeon said sincerely. She knew this was hard work for the maid, and, though, she was most likely used to it, the younger woman knew it had to have taken some extra work to do this.

 

Aoi opened the door to the chamber, her eyes widening at the sight of the setting sun.

 

"Wow, it took you quite long," Yena interjected, making Aoi jump.

 

Chaeyeon, having heard Yena, walked closer to the door. "How long have you been waiting?"

 

"Long enough," Yena answered, shrugging shoulders.

 

"I think we are on time, thankfully," Aoi commented. "Well, then, it's time to go."

 

The younger woman huffed, feeling the pressure ramp up. She really wanted to help Sakura, to make this event go smoothly. She wanted to walk, but Aoi stopped her.

 

"I need to take the lower hem of your clothing," she explained.

 

"And Yena?" Chaeyeon asked.

 

"Oh, here's someone the Princess sent to my chamber to help," he assured Chaeyeon.

 

When Aoi had grabbed the clothes properly, she signaled for Chaeyeon to start walking. "You two have to go together," Aoi directed. When they had both adjusted their positions, Aoi hummed in approval.

 

"Did you search for that man?" Chaeyeon asked in Korean after a while.

 

"Yes, yes. You have a one track mind, haven't you heard that?" Yena said, exasperation coloring his voice.

 

"And?"

 

"Nowhere to be found. Maybe we'll see him at the party."

 

Although Chaeyeon wanted to argue otherwise, she knew Yena had, at some point, gone far and beyond what he needed to do, so she just nodded, and said, "Thank you."

 

Yena gave a long exhale. "No matter." Then he coughed onto his sleeve, so as to not be heard. "Hopefully this won't be for nothing."

 

"What?"

 

"Nothing, just a little cough." The smile he was sporting was impish, making Chaeyeon narrow her eyes in suspicion.

 

"Uh-huh." But Yena didn't answer the sarcastic response. He only shrugged his shoulders.

 

It took a long while, but when they were finally at the place they were meant to be, Aoi spoke, "Don't talk. There is no necessity. As soon as the Princess introduces you, just bow." When they nodded, Aoi added, "Let's go in, then."

 

Any expectations that Chaeyeon could have had for the party were dashed away when she saw the luxurious hall that awaited them. Chaeyeion could barely keep herself from gaping at the sight. She barely had any time to dwell on the beauty of the place, as many people were already inside the room, all of them looking at them, curiosity in their eyes.

 

The Princess, who had been standing up, as opposed to the rest of the family members, turned to look at them, smiling in a slightly rehearsed way, open to talk, but then barely hid her gasp at Chaeyeon's face. Clearing and recomposing her expression, she said, "They are my most distinguished guests, and now dear friends, Choi Yena and Choi Chaeyeon."

 

Taking Sakura's words as a cue, both friends bowed, staying still as much as possible. Chaeyeon could feel Yena squirming in discomfort, and she shared the sentiment. After all, she could see some people gape at her, especifically, most likely because of her green and purple nose.

 

"It is, of course, a pleasure to meet you," a soft spoken man said, cutting through the obvious sentiment of shock. "As the 15th Princess's dear friends and as distinguished members of Sillan nobility, I welcome you, and I thank you for the company you have brought to the Princess."

 

Although there was a response at the top of her head, Chaeyeon knew that Yena could only answer in this formal welcome, so she waited (she would've wanted to nudge her friend, but that would have been very visible, and thus, quite rude).

 

"Uh, it's an honor to be here, as well," Yena started, stumbling with his speech. "Thank you for your hospitality, and, I, uh, thank the Princess for her company and friendship." He nodded to himself self-assuredly. Chaeyeon could only sigh inwardly, hoping everything would go smoothly.

 

"We have prepared a seat for you, to enjoy this party and the company of the Fujiwara family. Please, rest assured, you are well-received and you will be taken care of."

 

The Princess turned to look at them, her eyes signaling for them to follow her. They did so, walking slowly, following the pace Sakura was setting.

 

Their seat ended up next to Official Fujiwara, no surprise there. The only relieving thing was that Sakura was in between them and the Official, making her the buffer between both of them.

 

The place was quiet for a moment, with no one engaging in conversation, which was strange for Chaeyeon. Were they waiting for something?

 

They were apparently, as Official Fujiwara interjected, "We will start the event with some poetry that I am sure will be insightful as well as beautiful. The first piece will be read by the 15th Princess."

 

Sakura side-eyed Chaeyeon in apparent exasperation before she started.

 

"This morning, you did come, and call

But still you journey on;

Oh, cuckoo,

These orange blossoms

I would lend you for a lodging"

 

The venue broke into a murmur, where everyone commented Sakura's piece.

 

"It is beautiful, Your Grace, though tragic, as the cuckoo continues to travel, probably understanding the fleeting season," one of them commented.

 

"It is," Sakura answered. "The cuckoo must still journey to a warmer climate, were he can be content, if for a moment."

 

"Which is tragic for us, as we cannot travel, as the cuckoo, to continue to enjoy the beauty of the fragile flowers," a man, whose voice Chaeyeon recognized, spoke.

 

"Though the understanding of their fleeting existence and beauty is but most fundamental," Sakura countered, though her tone was still soft, not demanding for attention that she was most definitely getting. "It is perhaps alike life."

 

There was some conversation going around Sakura's poem that Chaeyeon couldn't understand, with some guests extrapolating the meaning of orange blossoms and lodgings. It would, more often than not, make Chaeyeon concentrate on something else or turn to talk to Yena, but there was something anchoring her to the topic.

 

It was Sakura passionately speaking about her own creation, debating some of the more (to Chaeyeon) extrapolated ideas, talking about life or death and nature. It made her listen intently.

 

"What would be Choi Yena's and Choi Chaeyeon's opinion on it?" the man with the recognizable voice, who Chaeyeon had already identified as Hideki, asked, his interest obviously settled on the female counterpart of the friend pair.

 

Yena, looking like scared out of his wits, stammered, "Uh, I think Chaeyeon should, uh, speak on it first. She is very passionate about the subject."

 

Chaeyeon could not help but half-glare at Yena, half-sigh in understanding. Still, she felt she was going to screw up. "I guess, uh, the part that I felt the most for was the fact that the bird came, but despite calling out, they left, regardless."

 

"Do you mean that could be making alusion to… a lover?" one man asked. Everyone's interest suddenly became more apparent, their gazes with expectation… of what? Gossip?

 

"No, no," Chaeyeon denied fervently, not quite in favor of linking the Princess with a lover. "I meant a loved one, perhaps someone close, like a friend, or a brother."

 

Some of the nobles deflated at the answer, while others' eyes shine with defiance. Of what sort, Chaeyeon couldn't tell.

 

"It's true. Although it is the course of life, the departure of a loved one can be melancholy," Sakura said, her voice even softer, almost vulnerable. Chaeyeon couldn't help but turn to look at her, wishing she could convey some sort of consolation.

 

A vague thought crossed her mind. 'Am I a loved one? Have I really become so dear to her? It can't be.'

 

The Princess cleared . "Of course, I would not like to forgo the honor to listen to the poems the distinguished guests have prepared."

 

"Yes, you are right, Your Grace," Official Fujiwara said. "I wonder, who had been so excited to present their poem?"

 

Chaeyeon felt a nudge on her right side. She turned around to look probingly at Yena, who seemed bored out of his mind.

 

"How long do you think this will last?" he whispered in Korean.

 

"I don't know," Chaeyeon answered. "Hopefully this is not the entirety of the party."

 

"I thought this was going to be exciting. Drinking, endless amounts of food, real pretty ladies. But no, here we are, talking about poems and trying to find things that aren't there."

 

"That's how things work here, I guess." She shrugged inperceptibly. "Let's talk later. They'll discover we're not listening and we'll seem rude."

 

Chaeyeon felt a nudge on her left side. She turned to look at Sakura, who glared at her warningly. She nodded, feeling like she had been chastised with just a glance.

 

The poem reading went on for a while, with others reading, and suddenly a great discussion arising from them. There were a few times that Chaeyeon felt the necessity to wake Yena up, as he was suddenly falling asleep.

 

Finally, it seemed that the event was over, as Official Fujiwara said, "Now that we've had time to enrichen our wisdom and reflections, I think it should be as well to nourish our bodies. I have prepared the very best for the 15th Princess, who deserves nothing else. Please, enjoy your time, just as much as you will enjoy the company of the 15th Princess."

 

With a signal, one servant opened the door, letting in a myrad of servants, who brought humongous amounts of food. Everyone stood up, making both friends follow cluelessly. While Yena eyed the food that entered the venue, Sakura called for Chaeyeon's attention.

 

"What happened to your nose?" The voice was stern, almost demanding.

 

"It was nothing, just an accident," Chaeyeon waved off, but Sakura was not one to be pacified.

 

"And why are your clothes different from those I chose for you?"

 

"Uh, an accident," Chaeyeon answered, now more nervous.

 

"Will you tell me what accident that was?" Sakura pressured, her voice becoming harsher.

 

"Nothing too bad…"

 

Yena chose that moment to interject. "Nothing too bad?! Your arms were slashed by a demonic bird."

 

"You're not helping," Chaeyeon gritted out, but cleared when she saw Sakura's furious look.

 

"Your arms?" Her hands twitched, as if she wanted to reach out and look at her injuries, but stopped herself from doing so. "A bird?" Sakura turned around, looking for a specific person. When she found Lady Natsumi, who had already been looking at them in guilt, she glared at her so potently, Chaeyeon felt Natsumi would melt just from that stare. Hell, the glare wasn't directed at her and she felt intimidated.

 

"It's nothing, Your Grace, just a honest accident," Chaeyeon said, trying to difuse the situation. Sure, she was very irritated, bordering on mad, at what had happened, but, ultimately, Natsumi had seemed repentant of her pet's behavior. Moreover, there was something dangerous in Sakura's stare. At some point, she felt bad for Natsumi. Facing such wrath wouldn't go well for her.

 

"Honest accident or not, she hurt you," Sakura huffed, turning back to look at Chaeyeon. "Did you go to the doctor?"

 

Chaeyeon nodded. "Aoi took me there."

 

Sakura sighed. "At the very least." She leaned closer to Chaeyeon. "We can't leave until you are alright." When Chaeyeon was about to argue, she added, "Please. I don't want anything bad to happen to you."

 

Chaeyeon sighed. "I know. But I can't wait that long."

 

"Someone's coming," Yena whispered, cutting the conversation short.

 

"Good evening, Your Grace. I am glad to see you well."

 

"Good evening, Lord Hideki," Sakura greeted as well, though her tone was not friendly. "It is nothing but joyful to come back to the peace this place brings."

 

Hideki nodded. "I am glad to finally be able to greet you, My Lady. It is a great honor to see your face." Sakura frowned.

 

Chaeyeon froze for a moment. "It is a pleasure to meet you, too, Lord Hideki."

 

"It is a pleasure to meet you, My Lord," he said, as if Yena was an afterthought.

 

"Likewise," Yena answered shortly, though, after a glance given by Sakura, he added. "It is a pleasure."

 

Hideki acknowledged Yena's greeting before turning to look at Chaeyeon. "Have you participated in poem reading before?"

 

"Uh, yes, I have." In middle school, back when she was fourteen. "Though, I must regretfully inform you, that is certainly not my passion."

 

"Does your passion veer in a different direction?"

 

"It does towards dancing," Sakura answered, smiling sweetly at Hideki. "Lady Chaeyeon is most definitely remarkable."

 

"Yes, dancing is something I adore," Chaeyeon agreed, though she had caught the innuendo that Hideki had spouted. It made Chaeyeon want to punch him in the face. But she unfortunately couldn't.

 

"If you excuse us, we must speak with Official Fujiwara." Sakura dedicated another empty smile at Hideki.

 

"Of course, Your Grace," he conceded. "Mayhaps we will speak later."

 

Sakura didn't waste any time on walking towards Official Fujiwara.

 

"Why do you want to speak to Official Fujiwara?" Chaeyeon asked.

 

"I don't," Sakura answered curtly. After finally walking away from the rest of the guests, she asked, "Had you already seen him?"

 

"Yes, when Aoi and I went for a walk. Aoi spoke to him," Chaeyeon added, wanting to pacify the Princess.

 

The Princess huffed. "Fair enough. Steer clear from him."

 

"Got it" Chaeyeon answered quickly, not wanting to upset her further.

 

"Why is nobody speaking to you at all?" Yena intervened, watching everyone interact curiously.

 

"They can't speak to me if I don't talk to them first," Sakura answered dryly.

 

"Why did you answer, then?"

 

Sakura made a face. "I didn't want to disgrace someone like him over something so little." Her scowl became more pronounced. "If I had known what he was going to say, I would have left his words hang in the air."

 

"Are there other people who would break this rule and speak to you first?" Chaeyeon asked, now frowning at the new information. Hadn't Yena said that Atsuhiko was forceful? Was Atsuhiko even here?

 

"No one. Hideki broke it now because he wanted to speak to you, and it would have been impolite if he had ignored me," Sakura explained. She turned to look at Chaeyeon curiously. "Why?"

 

"No reason…" But Chaeyeon was already matching the pieces of the puzzle in her head.

 

"Good evening, Official Fujiwara," Sakura said when they finally came close to Official Fujiwara.

 

"Good evening, Your Grace," he greeted, his smile affable, if a little rehearsed. "Good evening, Lord Yena, Lady Chaeyeon."

 

Both friends bowed with a greeting of their own.

 

"I take it you have enjoyed the poems that were read."

 

"Yes, they were most certainly delightful," Chaeyeon answered, knowing that Yena would rather maintain himself out of such conversation for as long as possible.

 

"Official, there is something I wanted to discuss with you," Sakura started, her voice firm.

 

"Of course, Your Grace. Please do tell."

 

"I really wish the unfortunate accident my friend, Lady Chaeyeon, has incurred in, hadn't hurt her as much as it did."

 

Official Fujiwara turned to look at Chaeyeon, who was now frozen, surprised at the unexpected line of conversation. "The injuries seem horrendous, if you would let me say it, Lady Chaeyeon. May I ask what has occurred?"

 

Chaeyeon wanted to answer, but she was interrupted by the Princess. "Lady Natsumi's bird was not kind to her at all."

 

Official Fujiwara raised an eyebrow. "Is that so? I would have surmised that, given the importance of such visit, Lady Natsumi would have left her dratted bird at home. It shall be something to speak with Lord Yuichi."

 

"No. I mean, it's not necessary," Chaeyeon intervened. "I am sure it is something Lady Natsumi deeply regrets. There is no need."

 

"Despite your magnanimous nature, Lady Chaeyeon, I apologize for the injuries you have sustained as my guest. Responsibility must be taken to honor your presence and the well being you have lost due to carelessness."

 

"If that must be done, let me speak with Lord Yuichi and Lady Natsumi on behalf of my sister," Yena said, making Chaeyeon turn to look at him, her eyes bugged out. "It is my responsibility to do so."

 

Yena's words made Official Fujiwara raise an eyebrow, in distate or surprise, Chaeyeon didn't know. "Very well, soon enough, I will ask for Lord Yuichi's presence in the estate."

 

"Thank you, Official Fujiwara," Sakura interjected hurriedly. "I am sure this situation will be handled accordingly."

 

"I reassure you, Your Grace, that injustice will not be done towards our guests," he answered.

 

"Of course. If you will excuse us, we will, in the meantime, enjoy the festivities." Sakura smiled forcefully.

 

"Please do."

 

Sakura hurried to get away from Official Fujiwara, both friends following dutifully. When they were far enough to not be heard (or scrutinized by him), she demanded, "Why did you tell Official Fujiwara that? Both of you."

 

"Because Lady Natsumi doesn't deserve to have grave consequences for this," Chaeyeon answered, becoming proggressively angrier at Sakura's figurative thirst for blood.

 

"She doesn't?" she exclaimed, then lowered her voice. "Do you know what is one of the most important things for nobles? Appearance. If Natsumi had truly left a lasting mark on you, that would mean disgrace, disgrace for any noble woman."

 

"I am not a noble," Chaeyeon shot back.

 

"You are. In here, you are," Sakura said. "Moreover, even if we don't think about that at all, she hurt you! Your arms are injured (and you best believe I will want to see the extent of it) and your nose looks horrendous!"

 

"Uh," Yena intervened. "The nose thing is kind of my fault."

 

"What?" Sakura's demeanor became even harsher. "What did you do?"

 

"It was an accident!" Yena stepped back in fear. "I was trying to defend Chaeyeon from that bird."

 

"Regardless, I am the one injured, and if I don't want Lady Natsumi punished for that, then I'll say so," Chaeyeon pointed out, her tone starting to match Sakura's.

 

"You… ugh… Follow me," she ordered Chaeyeon, who had no choice (other than to humilliate Sakura in front of everyone) but to do it. She turned to look at Yena, who raised her arms, mouthing, "That's between the two of you."

 

They both left the venue as insconspiscuously as possible, moving a bit farther from there.

 

"Leave us," Sakura ordered the maids, who scampered away, fearful of an anger they had never seen before on the 15th Princess. Aoi seemed like she wished to stay, but said nothing, unable to disobey the Princess' command.

 

"Why do you not want some punishment for someone who set out to hurt you? Yes, I can imagine that that was on purpose."

 

"Aoi said Lady Natsumi wouldn't want to hurt you. Maybe prank you, but not hurt you," Chaeyeon defended.

 

"But she hurt you. Even if she didn't exactly mean to hurt you, her actions were purposeful, and she should face consequences for that."

 

"There is no reason for that. She apologized. She looked repentant while saying it, then that's the end of it."

 

"That's the end of it?" Sakura echoed disbelievingly. "So, just because she apologized, she should be spared consequences?"

 

"I was the one she hurt, so I am the one to decide if she has to face consequences." Chaeyeon crossed her arms." Why are you so dead set on this? I don't want her to be punished, and that's it."

 

"I am so dead set on this, because you never take care of yourself," Sakura explained, her voice filled with desperation. "You go out there and let yourself get hurt in every way possible, and you never seem to care."

 

"I do not care because I know I will be alright. These slashes will heal, and I will continue on with my life. Those men out there, like Atsuhiko? You'll always have to deal with them, and you can't run away from their slimy attentions. I care about that because I don't want you to deal with that after I leave."

 

"What are you talking about?" Sakura's expression changed in a moment, as if all the air had been from her lungs

 

"You can't hide that from me, Princess," Chaeyeon pointed at Sakura. "Juri told me what you have to deal with. And you know what? I worry because I don't want you to always have to fend off such men that bother you. I don't want people like Hideki making dirty comments about you. I want, if for a moment, for you to be at peace from all those people that constantly ask from you something." Chaeyeon's voice was suddenly bereft of anger, her tone suddenly filling with a heavy sentiment she couldn't explain. "Because, Aoi, Juri, Yena's words are continuosly in my head, and I am filled with so much guilt at the thought of leaving and hurting you somehow with my departure. I just want… I wish it wasn't like this. I don't want pain for you. I want you to be alright after I leave."

 

Sakura was quiet for a moment, her expression a combination of hope and shock.

 

"You want me to be at peace?" she asked tentatively, breaking the silence.

 

Chaeyeon nodded. "Of course."

 

"Then let me say these words that I have long saved in my heart," Sakura said resolutely. Taking Chaeyeon's hands, she gave a deep breath.

 

It was a poem.

 

"In love with you

My heart has many worries,

Yet not a single one

Would I be without."

 

"This is my confession. The worries, the sadness I carry at the thought of you cannot compare to the flutter in my heart when you're near, or the joy that I have when you and I are alone. I want you here, but, even if I know you'll leave, I cannot fathom the idea of not having met you."

 

"I am in love with you."

 

Chaeyeon gaped, opening and closing several times, her thoughts racing. There was no way. She must have misheard. It couldn't be true.

 

'The Princess was very worried about you.'

 

'Is it correct to you asume you know about the Princess?'

 

'You are much more important than those things.'

 

'Where is your Princess?'

 

'Do you know how worried she was about you?'

 

'She likes you a lot, you know.'

 

'You don't have to give him pointers like that.'

 

It was true. .

 

"I… I don't know what to say." Sakura's expression dropped, but she tried composing herself.

 

"Ah, of course, I understand…" The Princess tried letting go of Chaeyeon's hands, but the latter grabbed onto them.

 

"No, I don't mean to hurt you," she exclaimed hurriedly. "I just… I struggle to comprehend. Why me? Of all the people you know, of all the people you've met, why me?"

 

"Do I need a reason to like you? Can't I like you because you're you?" Sakura questioned back, her expression now filled with skepticism and melancholy.

 

The answer made Chaeyeon speechless for a few seconds before she found her voice again. "No, I mean, you can… I… it's just… I am unremarkable."

 

"You are far from unremarkable, Lee Chaeyeon," Sakura answered. "You have travelled, against your will, to a place that you knew little about, and you've made your way with just one motivation in your heart, not giving up, not sucumbing to the difficulties in our path. You are caring towards others, but very uncaring towards yourself, exasperatingly so. You are loyal, no matter what. You are kind, and try your best around the people dear to you. There's nothing unremarkable about you, not in my eyes."

 

This made Chaeyeon stutter, feeling a blush redden her cheeks and her ears. This is not exactly what she expected to hear. "I, uh, well, I… suppose t-that might b-be the case for you, uh, I…" she continued babbling for a moment, making Sakura forget any fear of rejection.

 

"I am in love with you because you're you. Do you need any other explanation?"

 

"Uh, no, I mean, no other explanation… I don't," Chaeyeon babbled nervously. "I get it. I do…"

 

"Do you feel the same?" the Princess asked, though, at some point, she knew the answer.

 

"I… I don't know. I mean, I, uh, had never thought about love… in my entire life… I don't know." Chaeyeon shook her head.

 

"Then I'll make you know," Sakura exclaimed resolutely. "I will make you realize." As Chaeyeon was stupidly stuttering, she understood that Chaeyeon had never experienced something like this. And though, in all fairness, neither had she, she wanted to be her to awaken this precious feeling inside Chaeyeon.

 

"R-realize what?" Chaeyeon let Sakura's hands off, her heart suddenly beating out of her chest.

 

"Realize what love is."