Fireflies at Sunset (Outro)

The Truth Untold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

‘Please, come with me. They’re going to hurt you.’

 

‘Just go. Go!’

 

There was urgency in the man’s voice and a 12-year Jungkook was literally glued to the screen of his brother’s laptop, as he saw how a young boy started running, running away from his captors and surprisingly he managed to escape with the help of one of his kidnappers.

 

They didn’t show the man again, but as the boy on the screen kept running, a gunshot was heard and Jungkook knew, he just knew that the man who had let the boy go, had just been killed and seemed like the boy in the movie knew as well, because the second the frightening and loud sound was heard, he started crying, but he continued running and running until he reached a main road where he was found and saved, but even when he was safe, the boy didn’t stop crying and it took Jungkook a while to realize that he was crying as well.

 

That was it. He fell in love with Taehyung’s acting just like that, right from the start.

 

There was something about Taehyung’s acting, something that grabbed you, both your soul and heart and just made you love him, him and his remarkable talent.

 

Jungkook had been dying to watch ‘Fireflies at Sunset’, he didn’t know much about the storyline, but he had read many good reviews and just wanted to see it.

 

When the movie started and a smiling, very beautiful boy was shown, Jungkook instantly smiled too. The beginning of the movie was almost magical in Jungkook’s eyes - Taehyung was on a holiday with his parents, it was getting dark, but he saw a firefly and started chasing it, that’s how he ended up away from his family in a field that was suddenly lightened up by hundreds of fireflies. There was a mountain ahead, the sun was setting down and Taehyung looked ethereal, Jungkook just couldn’t tear his eyes away from the screen.

 

That’s when everything went wrong and Taehyung got kidnapped. Now Jungkook knew why people praised the movie so much, it was amazing, the story, the acting, the development, the scenery, he enjoyed everything a lot, but still… perhaps if the lead actor had been someone else, maybe Jungkook wouldn’t have liked it as much.

 

He became a huge fan of the glorious actor called Kim Taehyung on his 12th birthday and from then onwards, he closely followed all of Taehyung’s future projects. Jungkook was surprised and in a way not, when he found out that Taehyung started off his career as a model, he really, really looked gorgeous and Jungkook would be lying if he said that he wasn’t interested in that part of Taehyung’s life as well.

 

Jungkook was simply curious about everything, but he wanted to know more about the boy, the individual, about Taehyung himself, not the actor Kim Taehyung, not the model Kim Taehyung, not the brightly shining star Kim Taehyung, just Taehyung, the boy who had mostly grown up with his grandparents, the boy who became a celebrity by luck.

 

Jungkook was super happy when his parents managed to buy him a ticket for a special screening of one of Taehyung’s movies, the actors were supposed to be present at the event and Jungkook couldn’t sleep all night, because after 3 long years of being a fan, he was finally going to see Taehyung.

 

He was a nervous mess the whole day, but his mood drastically changed when it was announced that Taehyung had caught a terrible flu and even despite his bad condition, he had insisted on coming, but in the end those around him convinced him to stay home, so he could recover.

 

Jungkook was glad that Taehyung had decided to take care of his health, but he was saddened by the fact that this golden opportunity to meet his favorite actor slipped away just liked that.

 

He still loved Taehyung’s new project though, he always did, so far he had never been disappointed and over the years he developed an interest in filming and editing videos, he was very attached to his first, real good camera, because he bought it with savings and he loved taking shots with it or filming and editing family trips. It was something he enjoyed doing, something he liked, so the choice for a future career started clearing up.

 

But even after getting more and more into everything related to filming, acting, editing, even after spending countless of hours watching other people’s works, something always drew Jungkook back to Taehyung - to his movies, to his dramas, to his photoshoots, to his interviews, to his appearances on TV, there was something about Taehyung, Jungkook just didn’t know what exactly, not yet, he didn’t know what made Kim Taehyung so special, he didn’t know why his heart thumped in excitement whenever he thought about the actor.

 

He found out eventually though, in an unexpected way.

 

Just like Taehyung, Jungkook went to the army after graduating from high school. He never thought he would get accepted in the marine corps though, but he was happy when he got the approval. When he was discharged, Jungkook applied for a course to his liking and enjoyed his time as a university student quite a lot.

 

But he wasn’t the type of person who partied much, he did hang out with his friends rather often and even stayed up late, but getting drunk, going to clubs, staying out until sunrise… that wasn’t his thing.

 

But once, his friends managed to drag him to a bar, at least the music was nice, so the place was kind of bearable, but Jungkook still felt out of place. Everybody was either drinking or dancing or… dancing and drinking at the same time and don’t get Jungkook wrong, he loved dancing, but not with people whom he didn’t know, not in a place where people were just trying to score a date or to put it simply… a quick .

 

So he just stayed at the table and observed his friends, he drank two beers and that was more than enough for one night, at least for him and as he had nothing better to do, he moved his eyes away from the dance floor and scanned the people around.

 

Most were occupied with something or more accurately someone, so Jungkook thought that it’s about time he went back to his dorm, his friends weren’t even going to notice he was no longer there, they were going to nag at him on the following day, but he was going to think about that tomorrow.

 

He got up and was just about to make his way towards the exit when he saw him.

 

A man around his age was looking at him and Jungkook stared back just because the person looked strikingly similar to Taehyung. For a second, Jungkook even thought that it was indeed Kim Taehyung that he was seeing, but when the man shortened the distance and Jungkook got a closer look, it wasn’t Taehyung, but still… even under the dimmed lights the resemblance was there and when the unknown man gave him a very suggestive look, as he kept walking towards him, Jungkook gulped down.

 

In any other situation, he would’ve left, because he really wasn’t interested in that sort of things, but that guy… he just looked like Taehyung, so, so damn much.

 

Jungkook didn’t feel drunk, not at all, but maybe the alcohol in his system gave him a little bit of courage to be reckless for once and do something in the spur of a moment, so he just grabbed that man’s hand and led him outside.

 

Fresh air was supposed to clear your mind, but now there was an even bigger mess in Jungkook’s head, because he didn’t know what to do after pulling that man out of the bar, but the man made the next move and before Jungkook knew it, lips were aggressively attacking his.

 

He had never kissed a man before, he didn’t dislike it, especially because he was kissing someone who looked like Taehyung, but… that guy was a way too forward and that was making Jungkook slightly uncomfortable.

 

Things got even more alarming when he felt hands under his t-shirt and lips, which were travelling down his throat.

 

Okay, wow - too fast, this is a way too fast.

 

Jungkook thought at the time, because that guy had serious intentions judging by the way he was desperately trying to touch and kiss as much as possible.

 

Jungkook’s full panic mode got switched on when the guy pulled back a little and uttered something, which pretty much shook him.

 

‘You seem kinda shy… but I like that. Still, if you’re not keen on doing it outdoors, we can go somewhere else.’

 

Right then, Jungkook pushed the guy aside, definitely not gently and practically bolted away from the dark alley. He could hear that the guy was yelling after him, probably asking him where he was going, but Jungkook just wanted to run away and that’s exactly what he did.

 

He calmed down only after he had reached his dorm. He took a shower, got dressed and went to bed. But he couldn’t fall asleep, because he couldn’t stop thinking about that guy. Well, not really about him, but about the reason why he even got interested in that man in the first place, why he let him kiss him, touch him.

 

He just… looked like Taehyung. Like Taehyung… only because he looked like Taehyung.

 

That was quite the discovery and for a while, Jungkook felt weird whenever he saw Taehyung appear on screen. He was even kind of ashamed of himself, because he did something, he shouldn’t have, with someone whom he had just met, only because that person looked like Taehyung. It didn’t take long for Jungkook to realize that the person whom he actually wanted to kiss, touch, the person whom he felt something for, something much more than admiration, was no other than Taehyung.

 

He had a crush on him, a big one and he didn’t even know when it all started. Perhaps… from the very beginning, perhaps there was no beginning at all, the feelings were just there and Jungkook didn’t know what to do with them.

 

 

 

Jungkook was still a university student, but a professor of his had recommended him and he got a job in one drama. He was far from being even an assistant, he was just an intern boy who was responsible for a lot and yet not much, but he was happy with whatever task was given to him. He was finally on set, among cameras, staff, directors, actors and-

 

Kim Taehyung.

 

Taehyung was in the drama as well.

 

After realizing his feelings, Jungkook tried to push the thought aside, he even tried to ignore all information related to Taehyung.

 

He lasted whole 20 minutes.

 

And after that, he decided to accept his fate - he liked Taehyung, a lot, a lot, a lot and there was nothing he could do about it.

 

When he heard that Taehyung was a part of the cast, Jungkook thought that someone was playing a prank on him, but on the second day, Taehyung really did appear and Jungkook was left speechless, because the actor looked so, so much better in person and his acting… seeing it live was a million times better, it couldn’t be compared to watching the footage later on.

 

The director seemed to like him and made sure to introduce him to almost everyone. Jungkook was absolutely nervous and he just gave shy, awkward smiles, he shook hands with much hesitance, but inside, he was jumping up and down, because he was living his dream until-

 

“Hello! It’s great to finally meet you! My name is Kim Taehyung! You’re Jungkook, right?”

 

Taehyung… Taehyung just spoke to him, Kim holy Taehyung knew his damn name.

 

Jungkook’s smile disappeared right away, he froze completely and didn’t say anything for a good minute. Taehyung was standing a hand away from him, they were breathing the same air, not like they hadn’t been breathing the same air up until now, but Jungkook had never seen the older from so up-close and when he saw that Taehyung had extended his hand and was actually waiting for a handshake, Jungkook panicked, because damn there was no way he could touch Taehyung’s hand without making a complete fool out of himself, he was certain he was going to do something stupid like faint or use too much force in the handshake and then… probably faint.

 

So he whispered a queit ‘Hello.’ and just ran away.

 

 

 

The second time they worked together, Jungkook was an assistant-director and he had some minor interactions with Taehyung, but apart from that, he kind of ignored him, because he knew that he left a bad first impression and he really didn’t know how to fix that, because he just forgot what air and speech were, when he was in Taehyung’s presence.

 

But at least he got much more used to seeing Taehyung - a sleeping Taehyung on set, a laughing Taehyung with fellow actors, a Taehyung in a hurry, going somewhere with his manager, probably rushing to another schedule, a Taehyung stuffing his mouth with food until his cheeks were about to explode, Jungkook secretly wanted to take a picture or two in those moments, but… he didn’t want to be a creep, so he resisted the temptation.

 

Working with Taehyung was both wonderful and totally nerve-wrecking for Jungkook and he already had another project in mind, but when it was announced that Taehyung had accepted the main male role for ‘The Truth Untold’, Jungkook thought This is it. My chance.

 

He was aware of the fact that as the main director of the drama, he was going to talk with Taehyung every day, he was going to spend a lot of time with him and Jungkook wasn’t ready, but he wanted to try, he wanted to make things work out, he wanted to break out of his shell and finally act like a normal human being around Taehyung.

 

Well… easier said than done.

 

Jungkook thought that he would be able to handle working with Taehyung and while they were actually filming, things were okay, but before and after that… it was like they were fighting non-stop.

 

Jungkook never even mean to be mean or raise his voice, but Taehyung talked back, a lot. Jungkook didn’t know what was the problem, he just made Taehyung re-shoot a few scenes- okay, quite a lot of scenes, he kind of got carried away and he always came up with some lame excuse, because he couldn’t just say ‘Act out that part again. It was mindblowingly good! I want to see it again!’.

 

So, yeah… maybe that caused a few misunderstandings. But Jungkook tried his best to make things better, he really did.

 

He let Taehyung choose the outfits for his character, he always asked Namjoon about Taehyung’s schedule, so he could re-arrange the filming, so the actor wouldn’t get too tired before his next schedule, he always called for a break whenever he saw that Taehyung looked a bit sleepy or slightly annoyed, he was always grumpy and whiny when he was hungry.

 

That’s why when he noticed that Taehyung looked very exhausted, he re-scheduled the following day’s filming, so the older could rest, but when Taehyung arrived on the next day, looking even more tired, Jungkook got mad, because he really wanted the actor to take better care of himself.

 

So he ended up saying some dumb , which he didn’t mean at all, but what was done was done and when Namjoon told him why Taheyung had been up almost all night, Jungkook felt much worse, he was just getting further and further away from clearing up the mess between him and Taehyung, mess which he was mostly responsible for.

 

So he wanted to say sorry, but he thought that wasn’t going to be enough and he had noticed how Taehyung’s eyes sparkled whenever there were treats around, so he bought coffee for the actor, only to regret that a minute later after giving it to him, because he heard Namjoon ask the actor ‘What are you doing? You hate coffee.’, so Jungkook sped-walked back to Taehyung and switched their drinks.

 

 

 

Accepting Seokjin’s dinner invitation was definitely one of the best decisions, which Jungkook had ever made.

 

Seokjin was a close friend of his and he felt comfortable around Namjoon, so he thought that if those two were there as well, maybe he wasn’t going to mess up as much as usual around Taehyung.

 

In a way, it really was a good choice, because he spoke more freely and really had a good time, but in a way it was rather stressful, because Seokjin knew about his feelings for Taehyung.

 

He had even encouraged Jungkook to confess a few times, but the director didn’t have the guts to do it and when a pretty much drunk Seokjin almost spilled the beans, Jungkook was on the verge of getting a heart attack, so he quickly made Seokjin shut up by giving him another drink.

 

But that night, Jungkook found out that things between him and Taehyung were even more complicated than he thought. He couldn’t believe that Taehyung asked him why he hated him when he harbored nothing, but warm feelings for him.

 

He couldn’t sleep at all and when he saw Tehyung in the morning, he just made the bold choice to go for it, to finally confess, to finally tell the older how he felt about him.

 

The kiss wasn’t planned, but it was without a doubt a very memorable one, their first kiss and… many more followed.

 

Jungkook was to say the least, absolutely surprised and extremely happy when Taehyung agreed to go on a date with him.

 

Their date in Busan was perfect, at least for Jungkook and he hoped Taehyung thought the same.

 

They visited Jungkook’s favorite restaurant, walked by the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter