Milkshakes and Makeup

Whichever Way

Luda was playing with the straw of her now empty milkshake cup, her mind running in search of anything that was appropriated to say.

She thought things would be easier with Jiyeon. She was so wrong.

Not that the older girl was an unpleasant company, it was quite the opposite. Instead of striking a conversation right away, Kim had just ordered some things for them and was now absentminded looking through the window and watching the passerby in that calm and cold afternoon.

The smaller girl really wanted to try and say something, despite it, every time she glanced at Jiyeon’s picture perfect profile, she would feel her cheeks going red and avert her gaze back to her empty cup. The raven’s presence was intense, yet comforting and she was nice enough to give Luda enough time to talk. Bona wasn’t only pretty. She was also nice considering how she had so bravely saved her from a terrible first date experience and her eyes never showed not even a hint of mockery no matter how much Luda stuttered. Jiyeon made her feel excited and nervous at the same time, agitated and unsure, but never uncomfortable. Luda was starting to think she was developing every symptom of a crush and it was the last thing she should do. Fall for a girl she had just met and probably didn’t have any interest in her wasn’t something she should do.

Refraining from grimacing at such unpleasant thoughts, she forced herself to speak and at least be polite – Bona deserved a proper thank you at least. “A-About earlier, thank you. I shouldn’t have agreed with it to begin with.” She sighed lightly, remembering how much her seniors had pressured her to go, claiming she was ‘the cutest girl ever in the department’ and she would do just fine. Luda was sure they didn’t mean harm, after all she had always being treated well. The thing was: she was the cutest girl in the department because she was literally the only single woman in her freshman class, that by the way only had three girls. “I must have looked really pathetic for you to try and save me.” She cracked a half smile, that was more embarrassed than anything else.

Jiyeon leaned her elbows on the table, resting her face in her hands and watching the brunette closely. Lee Luda was clearly a shy person, moreover she was insecure and it was so obvious that it was almost painful to watch. What she had said her major was? Computer something? Science, yes, computer science. She was also probably a smarty pants, who was more used to a computer than human interaction. Bona’s eyes slowly inspected the girl, looking for more valuable information – journalism was in her blood, she was the third generation of successful reporters, noticing small clues and creating theories about them was her nature. However, she kept getting distracted by an unusual factor: Luda’s cuteness.

Jiyeon observed the girl’s long, brownish hair, noticing that it looked rather soft despite the fact that Lee didn’t seem to have done anything to make it look prettier for the date, just letting it cascade over her delicate shoulders. Her glasses, partially covered by her bangs, weren’t exactly fashionable either; the frame was a big too big and they kept sliding down her tiny – adorable, Bona couldn’t help but notice – nose, yet they were unable to hide her intelligent eyes. Luda’s features were well proportionated and beautifully done like a painting. Luda was a little shorter than the average, what wasn’t a problem with such good proportions. It amazed Bona that those guys didn’t notice it, only focusing on her simple clothes that were, somewhat, cute too – at least for Kim’s eyes.

There wasn’t a real reason for the girl to feel so insecure. Was it an ugly duckling kind of thing?

She noticed the brunette’s cheeks becoming pink again and decided it was time to talk.

“First of all, I wasn’t trying to save you. Second, I’m simply hitting on you.” She finished with a wink that was embarrassing even for her flirty self, so she found herself hiding in her nearly empty cappuccino cup. That was her weak point, acting reckless and then proceeding to overthink her actions and get embarrassed by them. Her dad used to joke about her having small spurts of braveness and he wasn’t wrong, at least when it comes down to be this bold.

Bona hoped she hadn’t overstepped Luda’s boundaries and instead of making her feel a bit more confident, she had only embarrassed her even more.

Luda choked on her own saliva, redness spreading as far as her neck now.

The shorter girl tried to compose herself, although there was little that she could do to ease her erratic heart that stubbornly insisted on sending all the blood it could to her face, making her look like a giant tomato. “I…I will get another milkshake! Do you want one? I’ll get you one too…If want, you don’t need to drink if you don’t…Okay, I’ll go.” She said instead of facing the other girl properly and ran to the counter to get herself a milkshake that, hopefully, could help her look a little less like she was burning of embarrassment.

To make things worse, she could feel that the other people from the group, albeit sitting in different places of the diner, were still keeping an eye for the unconventional duo.

After asking for the drinks, she risked to take a glimpse at Bona that was giving her a puzzling look, turning away as soon as their eyes met. “Why are you like this?” She muttered, kicking herself mentally for being so inapt. Having a beautiful girl blatantly flirting with her was pretty much everything she could have asked for. Yet, here she was acting like a fool and probably making Jiyeon second guess her decisions.

She took a deep breath, deciding on a game plan. If she was on a quest what would she do to get the reward as fast as she could? Well, it wasn’t a game quest and Bona definitely wasn’t a bunch of digital coins, however it was the only way she could concentrate enough and try to get a grip. Spending more time gaming than interacting with people makes you like this.

Jiyeon bit the inside of her cheek, nervously watching Luda returns with two big chocolate milkshakes. She was expecting shy giggles and perhaps an admission that the girl was also hitting on her, not having her running away for milkshakes. Luda couldn’t possibly be straight…Right? She just presumed she wasn’t and perhaps she was very wrong.

Maybe she should reapply her makeup, like this she wouldn’t be able to show her embarrassment in case the other girl shut her down after her terrible flirting.

Lee handed her the milkshake and sat down again, sporting a small, unstable smile. Jiyeon thanked her, taking a long sip of the drink and rejoicing with how sweet it tasted, despite the fact that she was probably getting dumped any moment from now.

“You…Do you mind if we get out of here?” Luda said finally, her voice still hesitant, albeit a little firmer than before. She was holding onto her cup so strongly that Jiyeon could notice her knuckles turning white. Bona’s instinct was to reach out and take her hands, making sure she wouldn’t crack the glass under her fingers, but she refrained from doing so. “I would like to talk to you in a place where people aren’t so…Focused on us.”

Jiyeon furrowed her eyebrows, taking a look around and only then noticing that their college group was watching them instead of minding their own business. Rolling her eyes, she took another sip of the milkshake. “Don’t mind them. If you aren’t comfortable just let me know and we can go separate ways when I finish this.” She said giving a polite smile to make clear she wasn’t mad at the girl or anything like this – well, she wasn’t mad, rather a bit disappointed. Nevertheless, she wasn’t the kind that clings onto someone that doesn’t want her around.

“Se-separate ways?!” Luda babbled, feeling the little confidence she had built to talk to the girl going away. She had screwed things up by acting like a weirdo and now Jiyeon was thinking she didn’t wanted to be with her. Biting down on her lower lip, she once again cursed her clumsy awkward self. “You don’t make me uncomfortable.” She managed to say, eyes shyly stealing a glance of Jiyeon’s lifeless smile. “I just wanted to show you a place. Can I?”

She looked at the girl expectantly and saw as her expression changed to a pleased one.

“I would love that!”

 


 

A/N: Well, I said I would come up with a new chapter soon and I did, yay for once lol This story will be pretty short, so it should be over by the end of the year. Thank you for reading :)