Case 03

When The Truth Seems Wrong
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note: All the places, characters, and scenes are purely fictional.

 

Krystal turned off the engine of her car. She jumped out from it and mildly stretched her arms, inhaled. 

She's standing in front of one of prestigious universities in the city. The famous law school where Seulgi Emerson attended before. 

Gray University.

It screamed luxury, money and power. And with that she knew, the kids she's about to meet are not a joke. 

She showed her badge to the security guards at the gate. "Good morning, guards." She greeted. "I'm Inspector Krystal Jung from CIF. I'm here to investigate about one of your former student." 

One of the guards, nodded to her. "You need to wait until we received the confirmation from the president." He informed. He called someone from the telephone. "Yes, sir." He said to the other line. "She's from CIF. Her name is Krystal Jung." The guard nodded as if the person from the other line can see him doing it. "Yes, sir. Understood." He put the telephone back and turned her attention to the inspector. "You may enter." He pressed a button and the small part of the huge gate opened. 

"Thanks." Krystal said. Huge field was the first thing that she noticed when finally entering the premises. There were three four-storey buildings standing beside each other at the back of the field. "Where can I see the president of the school?" Krystal asked. 

One of the guards pointed the center building. "There." He said. "He's in his office."

"What floor?" 

"4th." He grabbed one of his friends and pushed it in front of Krystal. "He will assist you until you reached the office." 

Krystal smiled slightly. "No, thanks. I'm okay." She put a hand in front of her and shakes it. "I think I can handle myself." She saluted before walking towards the said building. 

The real reason why Krystal refused to accept the help is because she wanted to walk around the school. Ask some questions to the students that might knew Seulgi. Or walk around hoping she could find something. 

There were few students at the entrance of the building when she was about to pass by, looking at her while whispering to each other. "Hi." She greeted them, attempted to open a conversation. "I'm inspector Krysta-"

"We know you!" Krystal couldn't finished her sentence when the students suddenly cut her off. They were shouting. Until their shouts turned into cheers. Krystal's curious eyebrows met.  

"We saw you on television! You are a great lawyer and an inspector!" 

"I'm a fan of yours! 

"We love you!" 

"I want to be you!" 

Krystal doesn't understand why these kids know her, or why these kids idolizes her. Then it hits her, media.

They suddenly rushed towards her direction. She got flustered when she saw the numbers of the students running towards her. She's like a famous celebrity who visited her former school. "Wait. Wait!" She announced, imprisoned. Luckily, the students stopped moving. Krystal heaved a sigh. "I'm sorry. I'm not here to entertain you guys." As much as she hated to be arrogant, she wanted to finish the work as early as possible. She wanted to get some information before Seulgi's first trial. She's hoping she can give a little help to Joohyun, whom she treated her real younger sister, before the first trial. "I'm here to meet the president of the school." 

They students lowered their heads, losing hope that they can have a conversation with her.

"But, you can help me." Krystal added which made the students raised their heads, raising her hands, offering their help. "Okay, okay." Krystal put her hands in front of her.  "Who among you knows Seulgi Emerson?" 

Silence follows. She wondered. The students are whispering at each other.

"Seulgi Emerson, the daugther of Senator Julius Emerson." She informed. The eyes of the students lit up in amusement. Their faces brighten by the mention of the name. All of a sudden, she was bombarded by confessions. 

"She's pretty!" 

"She's the smartest student I have ever meet!" 

"She's very friendly and she's charming!"

"She helped me in one of my assignments before!" 

"She's very active in school." 

Krystal only heard compliments from the students. It seemed like Seulgi is a good student and a good person. "Wait. Let me ask you one more thing. Does any one of you heard rumors about-"

"Students!" A thundering voice suddenly cut Krystal off. 

The students made the fastest turned to see who shouted. When they saw who it was, they immediately left Krystal's side. It feels like they saw a lion who are ready to devour them. 

One of the students whispered, "Ms. Kim knows Ms. Emerson too. I heard they were buddies before." Then the student left Krystal immediately. 

The girl's face seemed angry. If a stare can kill a person, Krystal is probably digging own grave now. 

"And you? Why are you still standing there?" The woman named Ms. Kim, as Krystal remembers, asked her. 

She was startled a little but managed to calm herself immediately. She pulled her badge from her pocket and show it to the woman. "I'm Inspector Krystal Jung from CIF. I'm here to asked some questions about Seulgi Emerson." Krystal noticed the widening of eyes from Ms. Kim. Byt that she knew, the woman knows Seulgi. Krystal is sure of that. 

She took few steps forward until she's a meter away from the woman. "Good morning, Ms. Kim." Krystal greeted. 

"How did you know my name?" Kim asked. 

Krystal smiled. "A student told me. I'm here to investigate about a former student here." Krystal offered an open palm in front of the woman. 

The woman stares at her hand, to her face. She was staring at Krystal's eyes like she's finding something. "I know you." That's when Kim accepted Krystal's hand and shakes it. 

"Oww," 

"You're the one who gave the statement to the media in behalf of your office. I laughed when I saw that." Kim took off her hand of her. "By the way, call me Jennie. We can talk inside my office." Jennie gestured Krystal to follow her. 

The inspector got offended by Jennie's comment I laughed when I saw that earlier. But as an inspector, she have to have an open mind. She have to keep her temper down.

"Here." Jennie opened the door of her office. 

Krystal seated on the sofa. 

"What do you want? Coffee? Tea?" Jennie asked.

"I'm okay." Krystal said. 

Jennie just shrugged while carrying her mug of coffee. She likes it black. She seated on the other sofa opposites to Krystal. "Seulgi and I are classmates before." Jennie began while crossing her legs. "And as much as I remember her performance at our time, I don't think she's the murderer." 

Krystal smirked. She was taken aback by the bold confession of Jennie. "And how will you support your statement, Jennie?" 

"I used to be a profiler. In fact, I worked at the CIF before." 

Krystal's eyes widened into curiousity. "I didn't see you," she muttered under her breath. It's true, she didn't meet the woman before at their headquarters.

Jennie chuckled silently. "Don't worry if you never met me." Jennie answered as if she read what's on Krystal's mind. "I only worked there for a year then I quit. I realized being a teacher was my passion. Just like you," Jennie pointed her. "You decided to be an inspector even if you benefited a lot being an infamous lawyer of criminals." 

Krystal clenched her fist. The woman is clearly insulting her.

Jennie just smirked when she noticed the action from the inspector. "Relax, Ms. Jung. What I told you was the truth. That's your job, right? Giving the right justice to the people. But why did you arrest Seulgi when you're not sure she's the suspect yet?" 

"We didn't arrest her. She's detained." 

"Oh, really? The last time I checked, she's already in jail, treated like a sentenced prisoner. Is that what you call detained?" Jennie challenged. 

"We are not the ones who control the system inside the jail. We are out of it." Krystal urged.

Jennie snorted. "You and I know how our government works. The weaklings will remain voiceless." Jennie said.

"Not all the time." Krystal cut her off. "If that's how you shaped the government inside your mind, then you should know that Seulgi isn't a weakling. She's an Emerson. Her family has a lot of connection." Krystal added. "Whether she's innocent or not, she can get out from the jail soon." 

But Jennie smirked dryly. "Don't judge her as if you truly know her." 

"Then don't judge me as if you knew how I work." Krystal leaned a little forward. "I work fairly. And for your information, not all detainees will go to prison." Krystal clarified sternly. The veins on her neck were showing. "That's why I visited your school because I want to know the truth immediately. I want to put an end on this." When Krystal was about to continue her sentence, someone suddenly opened the door from Jennie's office. 

They both turned to see the visitor. Jennie quickly stood up and bowed her head to the old man. "Mr. President." Jennie greeted. 

And with that, Krystal knew it was the president of the school. She stood up and bowed her head too. "Good morning, Mr. President." She greeted. 

"Good morning." The old man greeted back to them. He walked closer to where they are. "You guys should sit down." He gestured. "I heard there's an inspector who wants to see me." The president seated beside Jennie. "Was that you?"

"Yes, it's me, sir." Krystal said. "I'm sorry to bother you. I'm here to ask some questions about Seulgi Emerson." 

"Oh, Seulgi?" The president frowned but was smiling. "What do you want to know about her?" She glanced at Jennie. 

"Anything." 

"Okay." The president fixed himself to the sofa. "Seulgi is one of our pride here at Gray University. She was one of the smartest kids here too. She's very active, competitive in all the contests she attended. Everybody loves her. No one hates a Seulgi Emerson here at Gray University." 

Krystal remembered the compliments she received from the students earlier. She must be an adorable person. But she can't picture it out to the person she met at the prison. What's the real character of Seulgi Emerson? Krystal thought. 

"We were horrified when we heard the news." The president added. Jennie lowered her head. "We don't believe that she did that. We can't imagine her doing that." 

"Just because you can't imagine her doing it, doesn't mean she did not do the crime." Krystal insisted. "It's not enough basis, Mr. President." 

"Ms. Jung." Jennie called her name sternly. She threw daggers to the investigator through her eyes. 

That's when Krystal realized she went overboard. She forgot to be civil i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter