Case 04

When The Truth Seems Wrong
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note: All the places, characters and scenes are purely fictional.

 

JENNIE'S WORDS keep humming on Krystal's mind even if she's already in the middle street, driving to her next stop. "If you wanna know more about Seulgi Emerson, find this person." Since she heard that sentence, it stucked to her braincells like tattooed to her system. Jennie gave her a card with a name Elizabeth Gomez and her number below. Jennie said that the woman written on the card can be a great help to her case because it favored Seulgi when she was in Law School.

Her phone ring once, indicating she has to turn right base on the map in her GPS. When she did, another huge and modernized gate was visible in her sight.

She deduced that Seulgi Emerson's money is not a joke. Her schools screamed huge finance. Krystal knew, she cannot afford this kind of school.

Krystal is happy with what she have in her life. Even if she knows that she's an adopted child. Her mother died after giving birth to her, while her father died in heart attack when she was 7 years old. Her foster parents never failed to give her support and love. They even let her study abroad for better education. And with that, she's grateful and couldn't ask for more. Seulgi must be lucky to have her family intact and prosperous cash in her pockets. 

Krystal saw a student when she was walking towards the gate of the medical school. The student was holding her bag pack tightly, while staring at the huge bulletin board of the school. She was wearing a white uniform. Krystal concluded that she's attending the same medical school Seulgi attended before. And that school is standing firmly few meters away from her. 

Her mind went curious. So, she decided to take a look at the bulletin board. She knows she have to get her business in this school done, but unfortunately, she came unprepared. Not really unprepared but she was fool. She asked Wendy yesterday to take a look at the medical school's protocols. Wendy told her that she needed an agreement paper signed by the president of the school before she can enter the premises. She already have that actually. But sad to say, she forgot it. She put it inside her black leather jacket's pocket, that is hanging in her closet freely right now, but now she's wearing a light brown colored coat. Krystal is not a fashionista. She doesn't even give a damn about what people wears. She doesn't give a about people's judgment to her choice of clothes. As long as she's comfortable, everything is fine. 

She glanced at the dark green colored bulletin. There was a poster that immediately caught her eyes. It was a poster of Seulgi Emerson saying she was a suspect of a crime inside her very own condo unit. 

Just as Krystal was about to say something to get the stranger's attention, the student suddenly murmured, not knowing Krystal's presence standing beside her. "The table has been turned now." The student muttered under her breath.

She turned around, attempted to walk away, when she bumped to a tall woman standing beside her. She raised her head. "I'm sorry." She apologized. Just a quick glanced from the tall woman's eyes, she knew the woman heard her earlier. "Can I help you?"

Krystal was looking at the female student's eyes. as if she was searching for something, but even her doesn't know what it is. After a few seconds, Krystal spoke. "You must have a history with that woman." Krystal said in a low voice, trying to talk in a friendly manner so the girl would not run away from her. 

But what she expected happened. The student turned around, walking away from her direction. 

"Hey," she called, following the girl. "I cause no harm. I just wanna talk to you." Krystal said, trying to convince the girl to stop walking and start talking to her. What she saw on the student's eyes were sorrow, grief and hatred while she was looking at Seulgi's picture earlier. 

But the student was keep on walking. She had no plan to stop.

Krystal is not fond of crossing people's lines. She learned to respect people's privacy since her foster parents taken care of her. She was changed. But today, she need to inhaled deeply, gathered all her thoughts of the old version of her, to have a courage to jumped in front of the student, spread her arms, to make the student stop. And thank God, it was successful. "I don't want to disturb you, or annoy you, but you can be a great help to my assignment. Please, I just want to ask a few questions." Krystal was desperate to get an information from this student.

The student heaved a heavy sigh. "Alright." She said. Krystal's eyes lit up in amusement. "But we need to find a place first."

 

"SO, WHERE should we begin?" Krystal asked after the waiter put their choice of coffee flavors on their table. They are inside of the nearest cafeteria from the school. Krystal prepared her notepad and pen on the table. "I have few questions to ask---"

"I hated that woman." The student suddenly cut her off. She was lowering her head, hugging her bag tightly. Though she looked scared or hesitant, her words were stern and somehow truthful. 

Krystal had to clear . "What's your name again?" She said, though she never asked her name until now. 

The student raised her head and meet the inspector's eyes. "My name's Jeon Somi. But you can call me Somi." Somi said with a straight face. 

"Somi," Krystal repeated. "May I ask why you hated Seulgi?" Somi's eyes widened by surprise. She laughed as if Krystal's question was a redundant joke.

Krystal was taken aback by the student's action but remained calm. She waited for Somi's next words. 

"The world was indeed blinded by her doings in the past." Somi snorted. "The media have kept the news quite impressive because even you inspector wasn't aware of it."

Krystal leaned a little backward. She narrowed her eyes. What does Somi is talking about? She thought. She shook her head lightly to set things in her head aside. "What do you mean doings in the past? What did the media keep from us?" She made sure to jot down everything to her notepad.

Somi smiled but her face was not happy, or sad. Hatred is visible to her orbs. "I figured that you didn't know. Nobody knows. But I did. Few of us did." Somi said sternly.

"What do you know?" The inspector is obviously losing her temper.

"My sister got involved in one of Seulgi Emerson's rituals."

"Rituals?"

"Killings." 

Krystal paused, frozen. Her air suddenly stucked to . The female student just mention the word killings. She wrote it. She inhaled deeply before she continue. "What kind of killings? Are you sure about this?" Somi shot her a look. Krystal noticed it so she quickly rephrase her sentence. "I'm sorry. I don't doubt your words. It's just that, you are the first one I interviewed that mention about this rituals, this killings. I was just surprised."

"You don't understand because it wasn't your family that got involved." Somi urged. 

Krystal had to reached for the student's hand to help Somi calm. "Okay, okay. Believe me or not, I know what it feels like to lost a family member." Krystal said. "I believe in you. I believe in you." Krystal inhaled. She suddenly remembered her fiancee, former fiancee. "I want you to keep your voice down. I'm not sure if mentioning Seulgi Emerson's name in the public is safe. We both knew her family background." Krystal concluded that this girl in front of her was hurt, pained, broken. She has to find perfect words to not provoke her. "I don't want to give an idea to other people. And as much as possible, I want this talk to be private. Just between the both of us. For your own peace and safety."

Somi nodded in agreement. 

Krystal inclined her head. "What exactly happened to your sister?" 

Somi inhaled, gaining courage to open her heart again and share her miserable past to a complete stranger, who introduced herself as an inspector from CIF. She knew what CIF is. A private agency that supports the government and police force. One look from the woman, she knew she could trusted her. 

"My sister was beautiful, very good-looking. I am nothing compared to her." Somi finally began sharing her story. Krystal leaned closer to so she could hear her clearly. "She was smart. Ever since she was a kid, she's really interested about medicine. My father was a doctor. Maybe she got her genes from him. My sister gained popularity wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter