Case 02

When The Truth Seems Wrong
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Note: All the places, characters, and scenes are purely fictional.

 

SOMEONE KNOCKS on Irene's door. "Come in." Irene shouted. She was filing her papers on the table. 

The door opened and the figure of her boss pops up. She entered Irene's office. "Irene," She called. She wanted to get the full attention of the attorney. Irene raised her head. 

"Ms. Kim." Irene greeted immediately. "Good morning." 

Kim Jisoo, also known as Ms. Kim, is her boss. She seated on the chair in front of Irene's table. "I heard about your latest case from Krystal." Irene chose not to answer. She just seated back to her chair. "Did you meet Ms. Seulgi Emerson?" 

"You two hangout almost everyday, huh? Even Krystal Senior is only a part-timer here in our firm." Irene said sarcastically. 

"Krystal gave huge contribution in our firm, Irene. She's working in private agency that supports the government. I can't help but wonder how is she able to manage her time despite working in two places?" 

Irene smiled proudly. She's proud of her Senior. In fact, Krystal is one of her role models. The inspector work so hard until her is off. Even she, also wonders what provoked Krystal to work so hard. 

"I can't deny, Ms. Kim. Senior is one of the best employees in your firm." Irene said. 

Jisoo mirrored her smile. "I know...by the way, did you meet Seulgi Emerson?" 

"I did. But I will visit her again. We're going to talk about her arraignment. Why?" Irene answered without looking at Jisoo. She was reading a book, and was busy writing something on a piece of paper. She's was taking notes.

Jisoo cleared . "Do you know about her past?" Jisoo asked. But Irene seemed like she wasn't listening. Jisoo wanted to warn the lawyer about its client's past. Just in case she didn't know. Or maybe she knew?

"What do you mean?" Irene asked without looking at her again. 

Jisoo opened to answer when someone harshly slammed the door opened. "Irene! You need to see...Ms. Kim! Good morning!" It was Wendy. The girl was catching her breath. She was surprised to see her boss inside Irene's office. "I'm sorry. I didn't notice you were there."

"It's okay." Jisoo smiled.

"What is it?" Irene cut them off. She finally raised her head. 

Wendy got startled. "It-it's Senator Emerson. He's being interviewed."

Irene's eyes widened. She quickly runs to the lobby and pushed herself into the people to get near the television. She need to see this. She might get something from it.

The senator was having a hard time to get through from the media people. They were bodyguards surrounded him, protecting him from the crowd. They were a lot of media people put their microphones and mobile phones near to the senator's mouth, waiting for his answers. Irene narrowed her eyes. She was focusing on the senator's face. She was trying to read his expression. It might give her a hint about something. Then she suddenly remembered someone. Her old friend. The person who can help her reading people's facial expression. A former profiler. Jennie Kim.

 

While the senator is making his way to his van, the media people was bombing him some questions.

 

"What can you say about the Room 0294 Murder Case?" 

"Did your daughter really killed the woman?" 

"Seulgi owned that condo unit. She must be the killer." 

"Do you tolerate your daughter to do this kind of brutal activity?" 

"I heard about your daughter's past. I heard she was a sadist. An abuser. Is that true?" 

 

Senator Emerson finally got inside his car. A bodyguard immediately closed the door, and the car immediately take off. 

 

Irene was tapping her pen to . There was nothing important about it. She's not good in reading people's faces. She definitely need Jennie with this case. But she saw something from the senator's look. His face seemed problematic. But, it's understandable. Parents always worries about their children.

Irene was about to go back to her office when suddenly remembered something from the flash news. I heard about your daughter's past. I heard she was a sadist. An abuser. Is that true? 

"Wendy?" She suddenly called. The paralegal immediately stood in front of her.

"Yes?" 

"Can I ask a favor?" Irene began. "Can you take a look about Seulgi Emerson's history for me?" 

"Are you really going to handle her case, Irene?" Wendy was the 12th person who asked her that question. Can people stop asking her? She's tired of it. She already filed the papers and she's already the legal defense lawyer of the suspect now. There's no turning back.

"Wendy...I.." Irene sighed heavily. "I don't have time for this. Please, I b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter