Drink Responsibly

Partners in Justice

It’s almost 10 o'clock now. Sana was still buried neck deep into her paperwork. She had to write a report about her case today since it’s about to close. The “Neighborhood Killer” didn’t even go to trial, he quickly plead guilty in hopes that his sentence would be shorter. The incident and results had to be written for their records.

And Tzuyu sure as hell wasn’t going to do it.

Sana let out an annoyed sigh as she put down another file. Going home and sleeping never sounded so good.

“Hey Sana,” a fellow detective greeted kindly. Sana looked up and smiled at her friend.

“Hi Momo,” Sana replied, moving some papers to the side of her desk.

“Still filing through police reports, I see,” Dahyun, Momo's partner, said as she walked into the room.

“Yeah,” Sana nodded. Momo shook her head with a smile, nudging Sana’s back playfully.

“Come on, leave. You can finish that tomorrow.”

“I guess you’re right.” Sana stood up from her seat. “Did you guys do anything productive today?”

“We went to some lady’s house. She thought there was a burglar in her house, but it turned out to be some raccoon.” Dahyun shook her head with a frown. “We spent almost 2 hours trying to chase the raccoon out.”

“That happens at least twice a week,” Sana chuckled.

“True.” Dahyun shrugged.

“We were about to go get some dinner, you wanna come?” Momo asked Sana while she packed her belongings into her bag.

“Uh, sure-”

“Sorry guys, Sana is busy tonight,” someone suddenly butted into their conversation.

This little-

“Oh, hey Tzuyu,” Dahyun smiled, raising up her hand for a high five. “Heard you caught a criminal today!”

Tzuyu smiled wide as she high fived Dahyun. “Sure did!”

We caught the criminal.” Sana rolled her eyes. Why does Tzuyu always seem to leave her out whenever she’s bragging about their success stories?

“I mean, I did most of the work,” Tzuyu teased, poking Sana’s cheek. The offending finger was quickly smacked away.

“Have you been working this whole time?” Dahyun asked Tzuyu.

“Nope, I was looking up suede window curtains on my computer,” Tzuyu replied with a smile. Everyone else raised their eyebrows.

This lazy girl.

“Suede?” Momo blinked.

“Yeah! They’re super soft!” Tzuyu exclaimed excitedly.

“Uh-”

“No, she’s right,” Dahyun nodded seriously, “my grandmother owned suede bed sheets. They’re very soft indeed.”

“Not as soft as these though,” Tzuyu suddenly poked Sana’s cheek again. Sana pushed her partner’s finger away roughly as she grabbed her bag. She had no intentions of being near her partner any longer.

Too bad Sana couldn’t even take one step towards the door before Tzuyu grabbed her arm.

“Oh no you don’t! You promised me that you’ll get drinks with me tonight!” Tzuyu reminded.

“I didn’t promise you anything!”Sana spat.

“Well, you implied it.”

“No I didn’t!” Sana was fed up with Tzuyu now.

“Guys-” Dahyun tried to say.

“You can’t back out now! You didn’t refuse me when I said that we’d go at ten!” Tzuyu argued.

“I didn’t refuse because I knew you wouldn’t be able to hear me! You’re always listening to music instead of doing your paperwork!” Sana yelled back.

“Uh-” Momo attempted to interrupt them.

“You could have tapped on my shoulder or something!” Tzuyu continued.

“I wouldn’t touch you with a ten foot pole!”

“Well that’s rude! I’m sure there are many poles of all sizes that would be honored to touch me!”

“Why are you so weird?!”

“Sana-”

“No, I don’t want to get drinks with you. Momo, I’ll go to dinner with you instead-” Sana looked around. Momo and Dahyun were gone. Sana sighed. “See what you did?”

Tzuyu smirked. “I didn’t do anything, they were probably just really hungry.”

More like hungry to leave this little argument we were having.

Sana ignored Tzuyu and began walking towards the police department’s front doors. She bid farewell to some of her coworkers as she turned the doorknob. She almost left successfully.

Almost.

“Sana!”

I swear I will wring her neck. If I pull enough strings I may even be able to get away with it

“Yes, Tzuyu?” Sana sighed.

“Let’s get drinks. I really want to get drinks with you.” Tzuyu showed Sana her puppy-dog eyes. “Please?”

I’ll admit, she looks a LITTLE cute.

“Tzuyu-”

“Please?” And now she’s batting her eyelashes.

A heavy sigh escaped Sana’s lips once more before she nodded in defeat. “Fine, one drink.”

Tzuyu cheered before offering her hand to Sana. The older woman looked at the outstretched hand, clearly unamused. Tzuyu wasn’t deterred though, she continued to hold out her hand adamantly.

“What am I supposed to do with that?”

“Uh, hold it? What kind of question is that? I thought you were the smart one here,” Tzuyu wiggled her fingers impatiently.

“No thanks.”

Tzuyu pouted. “Is it because my hands are cold? I can warm it up!” She quickly began blowing warm air onto her palms.

“Your hands might as well be lava, something I want to avoid.”

“So… you’re saying my hands are hot?” The younger girl let out a smirk at her own joke. “I know some people are obsessed with feet, but I haven’t heard much about hand es.”

“Your an idiot.” Sana deadpanned.

“I know, but this idiot is your partner.” Tzuyu struck an odd pose while pointed at herself.

Sana actually had to hold back a laugh, trying to keep her face as serious as possible. “Don’t remind me.”

Tzuyu grinned as she wrapped her arm around Sana’s shoulder. The older girl did nothing but sigh as Tzuyu led her to her car. It would be useless to try pushing her away. Tzuyu would just hold onto her tighter.

Besides, it was kind of cold. A little extra body warmth didn’t hurt.

Like a gentlewoman, Tzuyu opened the passenger-side door for Sana and closed it behind her. This was something she always did whenever they were about to on a drive together. Well, she obviously doesn’t have the time to do it if they were rushing to drive out to a crime scene. On relaxed days though Tzuyu absolutely loved treating Sana like a princess.

It was also one of the few things that Tzuyu does that Sana doesn't complain about.

Tzuyu drove them to a nearby bar that they frequently visit. The two exited the vehicle and walked towards the bar entrance.

“Hey guys, rough day?” the bar’s bouncer smiled sympathetically. He has seen the police force come to the bar often, mostly for unhappy reasons.

“Nah, it was actually a pretty good day.” Tzuyu smiled at him and Sana nodded in agreement.

Noticing Tzuyu’s injury, the bouncer pointed at it with a grin, “Got hit with a chair again?”

“It was actually a lamp,” Sana corrected, “an even more embarrassing item to get hit by.”

“Hey! It was a pretty big lamp!” Tzuyu defended herself.

“Well at least it’s better than the time you got hit by a glue stick right?” the bouncer teased.

“That was a good quality glue stick, excuse you.” The younger detective crossed her arms with a huff.

He chuckled and ushered them inside. Tzuyu and Sana sat in their usual seats by the counter. The bartender noticed them and smiled sweetly.

“And what can I get my two favorite detectives? Shh, don’t tell Momo and Dahyun I said that,” she winked. Her eyes quickly landed on Tzuyu’s bandaid and she pouted.

“Aw, got hit by a super strong pencil again?”

Sana giggled as Tzuyu groaned. She tilted her head back and looked up with pleading eyes.

“Why must they tease me, God?”

“Hey, I’m joking. I hope it didn’t hurt too bad.” A teasing finger lightly poked Tzuyu’s forehead.

“Pfft, please! I’m stronger than any inanimate object.” Tzuyu rolled her coat off her shoulders and rolled up her shirt sleeves. She flexed her muscles, proudly showing them off. “I’d like to see that pencil try fighting these again.”

Sana actually gulped at the sight. No one can deny her muscles were impressive.

“Well you’re damn right,” the bartender leaned forward and squeezed one of Tzuyu’s arms.” Sana rolled her eyes.

“Can we order our drinks now?” Sana cut in. Watching the bartner flirt with Tzuyu was never fun. No, it wasn’t because she was jealous. It’s because she didn’t like wasting her time waiting for the two to finish whatever stupid flirty game they were playing.

At least that’s what Sana liked to tell herself.

“Oh, right. Of course!” the bartender leaned back and rested her hands on the counter. “What can I get you lovely ladies?”

“I’ll have a martini,” Tzuyu chuckled. The bartender nodded and looked at Sana.

“I’ll have a margarita.”

“Alright, coming right up!” she turned around and began to make their drinks.

“You don’t plan on driving home tonight, do you?” Sana scolded Tzuyu a bit.

Tzuyu laughed, “Of course not. I’m going to walk home. I live close by, you know that.”

“Alright, I just wanted to make sure you don’t do anything stupid,” Sana replied.

“Ahh, is the great Sana worried about me?” Tzuyu smirked.

“I just don’t want you hurting anyone by drunk driving, you idiot.”

“Don’t worry, I’m not that big of an idiot.” Tzuyu winked. Sana scoffed in response.

I beg to differ.

Sana noticed a few other girls in the bar sneaking glances at Tzuyu’s physique.

Why are people so damn thirsty these days?

Sana quickly leaned over and rolled her partner’s sleeves back down, throwing the coat back over her shoulders. The girls practically whined at having those muscles hidden from their view.

“Hmm? Why did you do that?” Tzuyu looked at Sana and saw that she was glaring at a few girls.

She smirked triumphantly.

“Oh, I see. Is someone trying to hide these big guns for themselves?” Tzuyu tapped her own biceps.

No, I just don’t like being stared at,” Sana quickly replied.

“But they’re staring at me.”

“I’m sitting next to you, therefore they are also staring at me.”

Tzuyu shrugged. “Can’t argue with that logic.”

The bartender soon returned with their drinks. “Here you guys go!”

“Thanks!” Tzuyu downed hers immediately, letting out a soft burp.

Sana grimaced at Tzuyu’s disgusting behavior, “Yeah... thanks a lot.”

Tzuyu slammed her glass down and looked at Sana. “You know, I still can’t believe how quickly you solve some of our cases.”

“Well, I do it with some help. You should know that, you helped me with most of them,” Sana replied, sipping her drink.

“Yeah, but I just kind of do what you order me to do,” Tzuyu chuckled.

“You’ve had some great moments in solving cases in the past,” Sana pointed out.

“Those types of moments are rare.” Tzuyu waved off the compliment.

“Hmm...” Sana held up her glass and swirled her drink a bit. “How did you get accepted as police detective anyway? You never tell me.”

“It’s a secret.” Tzuyu winked.

That’s what she always say.

“It’s pretty strange, you just suddenly came into our police department and quickly climbed your way up to a pretty high rank,” Sana said, admittedly impressed with Tzuyu. “You know, before you were assigned to our office, people started rumors that you were this cool, intelligent, and hardworking person.”

“Are you saying I’m not?” Tzuyu pretended to be offended.

“Well, before I met you, I thought you would be this serious, mysterious, hardworking person. Instead, you turned out to be pretty… dorky,” Sana admitted with a shake of her head. Her little smile barely hidden.

“I’m honestly not really sure why I got promoted so fast either,” Tzuyu confessed. “Judge Jihyo actually recommended me to your police department. She said I would be of good use someday. Like, really good use. I’m still not sure what she meant by that.”

Sana shrugged, “You’ve been good, I wouldn’t say really good, but good nonetheless.”

Tzuyu chuckled, “Wow, am I really being complimented by you right now?”

Before Sana got a chance to retort, both detectives heard a loud noise coming from the corner of the bar.

“Hey!” Sana and Tzuyu both turned their head at the noise. A man was holding another man by the neck. The bouncer immediately walked towards the two.

“Hey man, back up-” the bouncer tried to calm the violent man.

“No! You back up!” the angry man shouted to the bouncer as he continued to tighten his death grip on the other man’s poor neck. The bouncer attempted to grab the angry man when he suddenly pulled out a knife. The bouncer took a huge step back.

“This… This man stole my wife!” he shouted in immense anger, “she left me because of him!”

“I-I already told you, she left you because you are crazy-”

“Shut up! I’m not crazy!” he held his neck tighter. He slowly lifted the knife to his victim’s vulnerable neck. “I… I will kill you!”

You sure you aren’t crazy?

Tzuyu and Sana sighed and stood up. The hope for a relaxing night is long gone.

The two walked towards the commotion and pushed their way through the large crowd that is beginning to form.

“Hey,” Tzuyu said boredly as she stood near the man with the knife.

“What do you want?” the man huffed.

“Just telling you that you shouldn’t kill him,” Tzuyu replied nonchalantly.

The man laughed loudly. “Really now? Who are you to tell me what to do?”

“This should be able to tell you enough,” Sana butted in, holding up her badge. The man paled for a second before turning red again.

“I’m not going to let no sissy police officers stop me!”

Detectives, actually,” Tzuyu corrected.

“Same !”

“No, there’s a distinction between them!”

“Explain then!”

“Alright, let me pull up my power point presentation on my phone!” Tzuyu quickly dug into her pockets for her phone.

What the hell is going on?

“Put that away Tzuyu! We don’t have time for this,” Sana growled. The younger girl quickly slipped her phone back into her pocket before letting out a sheepish smile.

Sana rolled her eyes and faced the attacker again. “Anyways, listen to us and let the poor man go.”

“No.”

I really didn’t want us to have to do this the hard way.

Sana and Tzuyu locked eyes with each other and nodded. Before the man could blink, Sana gave his ‘jewels’ a hard kick. A pained groaned can be heard throughout the bar as the man crumbled to the floor. Tzuyu quickly grabbed the knife from his hand and handed it to the bouncer. She then proceeded to grab the man’s hands and turn him around.

Teamwork.

“Do you have your handcuffs on you?” Tzuyu asked, looking down at Sana’s belt where she usually had her handcuffs.

She also may or may not have let her eyes linger at the very scrumptious looking tush.

“Nope.”

“Well how the hell are we supposed to-”

Suddenly, other police officers from their department bursted into the bar. A very sweaty officer help up his dirty badge. “Nobody move! We got a call that-”

“Hey hey, take a breath dude. We got him.” Tzuyu pushed the now unarmed man towards her fellow officers. “You guys deal with him. I have drinks to get back to.”

“O-Okay.” the police officers dragged him away and the crowd slowly dissipated . Sana and Tzuyu returned to their seat at the counter.

“Want another drink? It’s on me.” Tzuyu pulled out her wallet and waved it in the air teasingly.

“After that? I would like another drink actually. Thanks.”

“No problem.” Tzuyu called the bartender and ordered a few more martinis and margaritas. After about an hour of mindless chatting, drinking, and a lot of debates about whether or not tomatoes were fruits or vegetables, Tzuyu paid for their tab and the two exited the bar.

“You going home now?”

“Yeah,” Sana said as she placed her bag around her shoulder. She felt herself sway a little.

Well .

“My place is pretty close, you can just crash there tonight. You had a bit to drink, I don’t want you to accidentally get hit by a car or something,” Tzuyu offered. Sana rolled her eyes.

“It’s fine, I’ll just call a cab,” Sana replied, getting ready to pull out her cell phone.

“Nonsense! You shouldn’t have to pay for a ride when you don’t have to,” Tzuyu took the cell phone from Sana and grabbed her hand, leading her to her apartment, “You’ve slept over before, what’s the matter?”

“I only slept over those other times because we were working on a case.”

“Just stay the night for the heck of it, there’s no harm in that.” Tzuyu continued to drag Sana to her apartment. The older woman felt too hazy to even fight back.

“Fine.”

I don’t even think I have a choice.

The streets were silent as the girls walked to the apartment. A cold breeze blew through the air, causing both of them to shiver. Their bodies unconsciously moved closer together for more warmth.

“So… how’s life?” Tzuyu tried making small talk.

“It’s… okay.”

Tzuyu lifted an eyebrow at the answer. “Just okay?”

“Mhmm,” Sana looked down and kicked away an empty can.

“Why not make your life more than ‘okay’?”

“With this career? Impossible. There’s no free time to do anything.”

“You love this job though.” There was no denying that.

“I do,” Sana nodded, “I’m not that bothered that I don’t have a bigger life outside of work.”

“Well…” Tzuyu stopped Sana from walking and turned her so that they were facing each other. “You deserve better than that. We both do. Our work shouldn’t be our lives. As your partner, I vow to make sure you won’t die a boring, lonely, ugly woman."

“I… appreciate it?” Sana scrunched her face. That sure was a weird way of phrasing her loyalty to Sana. Tzuyu nodded in satisfaction as the two continued their trek to Tzuyu’s apartment.

The girls arrived at the apartment rather quickly. When the door opened, Sana entered with hopes that she'll finally find warmth.

Nope.

“It’s freezing in here.” Sana shivered as she placed her bag on the couch.

“Sorry my apartment isn’t as hot as you,” Tzuyu commented sarcastically. Sana grumbled in annoyance before throwing a couch pillow at Tzuyu’s back. Tzuyu giggled and the heater. The apartment soon became nice and cozy.

“As usual, you can use any supplies you want.” Tzuyu fanned out her arms, gesturing to the entire apartment.

“Yeah, yeah.” Sana laid herself out on the couch. “Go shower already, I’ll go after you.”

“How about we save water and-”

“No.”

“Damn.”

Tzuyu showered first and got ready for bed. Sana did the same after her. Tzuyu rolled her eyes when she saw Sana placing blankets on the couch.

“What are you doing?”

“Uh, getting ready sleep? It’s been a long day, I want to knock out.” Sana fluffed one of the couch pillows before laying down and resting her head on it.

“You can sleep in my bed with me.”

“Tzuyu-”

Before she could finish her sentence, Tzuyu pulled Sana from the couch and pushed her towards her bedroom. She let out a long yawn as she watched Tzuyu prepare the bed.

“We’re partners. There’s no reason to be uncomfortable with me.” Tzuyu lifted the comforters and snuggled into her rather large bed.

“It’s not that I’m uncomfortable…” Sana said quietly.

“We’ve done this before, what’s the harm?” Tzuyu asked, raising her arms and placing them behind her head.

“You know exactly what the harm is.” Sana crossed her arms, giving Tzuyu a knowing look. “It’s because we’ve done this before that I’m hesitant-”

“This is different,” Tzuyu interrupted, “We were a bit drunk last time.”

Sana shook her head. “We’re a bit drunk now.”

“No we’re not, we’re just tipsy,” Tzuyu corrected.

“Same .”

“No it’s not.”

“Yes it is.”

“No it’s not.”

“I’m not going to argue with you about how drunk we are.” Sana rested her hand on doorway.

“Just sleep in this bed with me.”

“No thanks.”

“Come on! This bed is way more comfortable than that hard- couch! We have to get up pretty early tomorrow too! Do you really want to wake up with a messed up back in the morning?” Tzuyu raised her eyebrows.

A few seconds passed as Sana thought over all the pros and cons of doing this. With a shake of her head, she walked towards the bed. Tzuyu let out a small cheer as Sana climbed under the covers.

“Shut up.”

The two made themselves comfortable before shutting their eyes.

It was silent for a good 4 seconds.

“Can you tell me a bedtime story?” Tzuyu whispered.

“No.”

“... Do you want me to tell you a bedtime story?”

“No, go to sleep.”

“Okay.”

No one has time to hear another one of your “why Yoda is the coolest ever” stories.

______________________________________________________________________

 

As the sun rose, the bright sunlight entered through the window and shined over Sana’s eyes. She groaned and turned her body away, trying to escape the burn she was feeling under her eyelids. She froze when she felt skin; skin that wasn’t hers. Sana’s eyes shot open and she looked at the sight it front of her.

.

She roughly shook Tzuyu awake.

“Where’s the fire?!” Tzuyu sat up quickly, rubbing her eyes.

“Tzuyu…” Sana growled.

“What?” Tzuyu finally stopped rubbing her eyes and looked at Sana. It was almost hilarious how wide her eyes got.

“Oh my-”

“We’re !” Sana shrieked.

“Well .”