A Bit of a Twist

Partners in Justice

Author’s Note: So… I know I suddenly went on a long hiatus again. I do apologize for leaving you all waiting for so long (if I even have anyone waiting that is). I’m not going to waste anyone’s time with excuses on why I was gone. I’ll let you all enjoy this next chapter instead!

As a piece of advice: unless you actually read this story recently, I may suggest that you re-read the previous two chapters so that you can catch yourself up. Because to be honest, when I was re-editing this chapter, I was super confused about everything I wrote haha.

I wrote this chapter 5 years ago, even though I didn’t start posting this story until 3 years ago. Like seriously, I was making references in this chapter that I don’t even remember. I had to really jog my memory. Don’t worry, my goal is to actually finish this story once and for all. Most of it is written, I just need to edit.

Anyway, I talk too much. Enjoy everyone!

Sana bit her lip as a shiver shook through her body. Many hours have passed since she and Tzuyu started waiting in the car, waiting for any kind of sign from the house they were observing. Night had fallen upon them and it was quite chilly. Though that won’t deter them from accomplishing their goal. Their police department had made sure to deploy officers around the four victims’ houses as they kept an eye on their suspect.

“Are you cold?” Tzuyu looked at Sana as she felt her own body shiver.

“No.”

“I can literally see your entire body trembling.” Tzuyu rolled her eyes and scooted over in her seat to get closer to Sana. She wrapped her right arm around the older girl and pulled her as tight as she could against her own warm body. Due to the center console being in the way, their shoulders barely touched, but they both still felt the welcoming heat radiating off of each other.

“Better?” Tzuyu whispered.

“Much,” Sana dejectedly admitted.

The two stayed in that position for a while, relishing in each other’s warmth. Sana slowly opened her eyes, she wasn’t even aware that she closed them. Sana felt her cell phone vibrate. She took out her phone and looked at the image that was sent to her by the police station.

“Look at the drawing of our suspect that our sketch artist drew.” Sana showed Tzuyu the well-drawn picture.

“Looks like our guy,” Tzuyu nodded.

“Let’s just arrest him now? We should have enough evidence,” Sana suggested.

“Maybe-”

“Tzuyu, I see him. He’s on the move,” Sana said quietly, pulling away from Tzuyu’s warm grasp.

Tzuyu pouted a bit at the loss before looking towards the man’s house, “Do you think he’s going to attack those other families? Isn’t he aware that he is our prime suspect?”

“He looked a bit frazzled already when we talked to him a few hours ago. He might be slowly losing it. Us talking to him might have just driven his desire to get revenge even more,” Sana replied, keeping her eye on the man. He was hoisting a large bag over his shoulder and started walking down the street.

“He’s walking,” Tzuyu pointed out the obvious.

“Then so are we,” Sana opened the car door and jumped out, “a police car driving near him would be too obvious. Let’s continue this on foot.”

“Alright.” Tzuyu quietly got out of the car as well. They made sure they were a safe distance away from the man before they started trailing after him. Every few seconds, the man would look around, which caused Sana and Tzuyu to hide behind the nearest tree or bush each time.

The night is on our side; it makes it easy to hide.

______________________________________________________________________

 

Sana and Tzuyu followed their suspect. They ventured to a familiar part of the city.

We’re near one of the victim’s houses.

“Should we just arrest him?” Tzuyu asked.

“If we catch him in the act, there’s no way the court will even consider him as not guilty,” Sana pointed out.

“Alright, whatever you say, boss.”

Sana rolled her eyes.

The two police detectives hid at the side of the house as they watched the man go near one of the windows of the house. Tzuyu pulled out her gun when she saw the man knocking on the window. Sana pulled out her own gun and looked at their suspect. She was confused.

What is he doing?

They saw the window open and recognized a familiar woman. She was one of the women they interviewed: the mother of the house. She looked at the man outside her window and shushed him.

“What was that sound, honey?” her husband shouted from inside.

“Nothing, dear!” she shouted back before eyeing the man.

“We’re doing this now?” she whispered to him.

“Yes,” he nodded.

Tzuyu looked at Sana, “What the f-”

“Shh!” Sana placed her finger in front of Tzuyu’s lips. Tzuyu smiled at the soft touch. Sana felt it.

This isn’t the time-

“I’m glad we get to take action. I’ve never agreed to stopping someone’s life support. They deserve to live as long as they can. There’s no such thing as ‘putting someone out of their misery’,” the woman stated. “Wait here, I need to get out of the house without my family knowing.”

The man nodded and hid behind a bush for the time being.

“Honey, I need to go out for a bit,” the woman told her family.

“Mom, you can’t! Someone is after us!” a boy shouted in fear.

“Don’t go, mommy!” a little girl shouted this time.

“Honey, it’s too dangerous,” her husband said worriedly.

While watching the family, Tzuyu quickly whispered to Sana, “It seems like this woman is involved with our suspect somehow… She probably made it seem like her own family were victims so that we couldn’t trace anything back to her.”

“Yeah… but it looks like her family is genuinely terrified,” Sana replied, meeting Tzuyu’s sad eyes with her own.

Sana saw Tzuyu clench her fist. Sana knew what she was thinking, because she was thinking the exact same thing.

This doesn’t deserve a loving family.

“I’ll be careful, trust me,” the woman said assuringly to her family. Her family reluctantly allowed her to leave the house.

The woman exited the house and quietly walked to where the man was. “Let’s go.”

“We’re going to kill the doctors first,” the man whispered. The woman nodded.

Oh no you won’t.

Sana glared at the two as they both ran off down the street together.

“These es,” Tzuyu growled behind Sana. Sana felt goosebumps as she heard the rumble of Tzuyu’s voice behind her ear.

Don’t do that.

Sana and Tzuyu quickly, but quietly, ran down the street after them.

“He had a partner in crime this whole time?!” Tzuyu asked as she ran beside Sana.

“Apparently!”

The two slowed down when they saw the criminals in front of them also slow down. They were in front of one of their other victim’s houses. The man placed his bag down and pulled out two black masks. The two put them on, successfully covering their faces and masking their identity. He pulled out a crowbar and handed it to the woman. He pulled out a gun for himself.

“Why do you get the gun?” the woman asked harshly.

“I’m the better shooter.” he rolled his eyes. The woman scoffed and followed the man to the window.

“Ready to start the show?”

“Let’s do it.”

The man smashed the window’s glass. They can hear screams coming from inside the house. The two criminals climbed in through the window quickly.

“Let’s go! We can’t waste time!” Sana shouted as she ran and jumped through the window. Tzuyu nodded and followed her. They heard the man shouting at the family, yelling about how it’s the doctor’s fault that his family member died.

Sana turned around, “Alright. Tzuyu, you-”

Tzuyu was gone.

Where the did she go?

Sana shook her head before running into the living room where the others were.

I’ll have her head later.

“Stop right there!” Sana held out her gun. The man jumped and turned around, holding out his gun as well. His partner trembled a bit as she stood beside him, clutching the crow bar. The family was cowering at the corner of the living room in fear.

“You said we wouldn’t get caught,” the woman said shakingly to the man.

“W-We won’t. I’ll kill her,” the man replied, unsure of his own words as he fumbled with his gun.

“Don’t do this,” Sana started off, “I know why you're mad, I understand, but it’s not the doctor’s fault. Your loved one had a terminal disease and was kept alive by only machines. They suffered-”

“Shut up!” the man shouted, cocking his gun.

“Papers that had to be signed to confirm the end of their life support! They were signed by that patient’s parents,” Sana continued, “They did what they thought was best for their child-”

“It wasn’t the best choice! Death is never the answer!” the man yelled.

This isn’t getting us anywhere.

“That’s right, that patient didn’t have to die! We could’ve kept researching for a cure!” the woman beside him shouted.

Sana raised an eyebrow.

I think it’s time I pull some bull.

“Sir, that woman beside you… She doesn’t care about the well-being of your deceased loved one, she just wanted to experiment on them,” Sana told the man. The man’s eye twitched in anger and faced the woman, holding out his gun towards her.

“Is that true?!”

“N-No!” The woman looked at him abashed.

Now I’m getting somewhere.

“She saw that patient as a guinea pig!” Sana continued to shout, slowly walking towards the man.

“Did you really?!” the man walked closer to the woman.

“I-It was for science!” the woman defended herself, no longer able to hide the true reason for why she partnered with this man.

Sana took the chance to walk closer.

“Don’t you come any closer!” the man faced Sana again.

Where’s Tzuyu?

All of a sudden, the curtains behind the man and woman moved. Tzuyu jumped out and tackled them both. The man fired his gun, but he just ended up shooting at the ceiling. Tzuyu quickly grabbed the gun and crowbar from them, tossing it out of the way as she sat on top of both of them.

When did she-

“Sana, handcuffs!” Tzuyu ordered.

“R-Right!” Sana pulled out her handcuffs and cuffed the two criminals. Tzuyu pulled the two up and pushed them against the wall.

“You.” Tzuyu pointed at the man.” You’re a psychopath.”

“But you.” Tzuyu grabbed the woman roughly. “You’re a monster.”

“What kind of wife and mother puts her own family in danger?” Tzuyu growled.

“They weren’t in danger-”

“But they believed they were! Your partnership with this criminal made your family believe that they were going to die. You made them terrified.” Tzuyu slammed the woman against the wall again. “Do you know what the worst part is? I can tell that they love you.”

The woman had tears in her eyes, “I-”

“Shut up, anything you say can and will be used against you.” Tzuyu dragged the two out of the house. Sana looked at Tzuyu with a very impressed expression. Sana looked at the distressed family with a smile.

“Don’t worry, you guys are safe now,” Sana assured the family as she began walking out the front door.

“T-Thank you!” The father of the family, the doctor, exclaimed.

Sana turned around with a wink, “It’s my job.”

Sana looked at Tzuyu as she held the two criminals, “So, how are we going to-”

Police cars came blaring down the street. Sana raised an eyebrow and looked at Tzuyu.

“When did you-”

“I called them to come when I was behind the curtains,” Tzuyu shrugged.

“Speaking of that, how and when did you do that?” Sana asked curiously, “I thought you were right behind me the whole time.”

Tzuyu chuckled and winked at Sana, “If I told you all my secrets, you won’t be interested in me anymore.”

Sana rolled her eyes. “I was never interested in you.”

“Don’t lie~” Tzuyu said in a sing-song voice as she handed the criminals to the other police officers. Those police officers began to recite their Miranda Rights to them.

“Shut up.” Sana had enough of Tzuyu for the day.

Tzuyu held out her arm. “Let’s go back to our car?”

“Our police car is quite far away from here.” Sana looked at Tzuyu with a daring look.

“It’ll be a nice walk.” Tzuyu smiled, still holding out her arm. Sana rolled her eyes again before linking her own arm with Tzuyu’s.

“Fine.”

“Yay!” Tzuyu cheered and skipped a bit, not too fast though, she wanted this moment with Sana to last.

Sana hid her smile when she saw Tzuyu cheer.

You dummy.

“That little speech you made about that woman’s family was… interesting,” Sana commented.

“Family is something that should be held dearly by everyone,” Tzuyu replied seriously for once, “she doesn’t know what she’s missing. I was told that her family wouldn’t stop calling the police department after she left. They were worried sick about her.”

Sana nodded quietly. “You’re quite compassionate about these things.”

“That woman threw away her life for all this.” Tzuyu shook her head. Sana nodded as they spent a couple minutes in silence.

“Anyway, how did you know those plants in front of his lawn were hibiscuses?” Sana suddenly asked.

“I didn’t.”

“What?” Sana looked at Tzuyu surprised.

“I guessed. I’ve only ever seen one hibiscus in my whole life, and it was the one I killed,” Tzuyu chuckled. Her warm breath could be seen in the cold air.

“You seemed to know a lot about them though.” Sana linked her arm a little tighter with Tzuyu’s as they continued to strode under the faint street lights.

“It was all stuff I learned in my 7th grade science class,” Tzuyu replied, “I wasn’t even sure if anything I said was right to be honest.”

“Well, you did well today,” Sana complimented, feeling content for the first time tonight as she admired the moonlight casting a comforting glow on them.

“I guess I did... you did better though.” Tzuyu pulled Sana a little closer to her when she noticed a shiver run through her body.

“How?” Sana looked at Tzuyu again.

“You remained very calm throughout the whole ordeal. You had a gun and a crowbar pointed at you, had an annoying crying family in the background, and you were able to make the two criminals turn on each other,” Tzuyu laughed.

“I guess I did.” Sana smiled to herself.

“Wanna come back to my place tonight?” Tzuyu asked as they finally reached their car.

“No thanks, I’m not getting into another bed with you and having again,” Sana laughed as she shook her head, getting back into the car.

“I didn’t say anything about you having with me.” Tzuyu smirked at Sana, wiggling her eyebrows.

Sana felt her cheeks blush. “You implied it!”

“No, I didn’t,” Tzuyu giggled softly. “It’s okay, I think about it sometimes too.”

“I didn’t say I-”

“It’s okay, Sana. I understand,” Tzuyu assured cheekily as she began driving.

Sana got a phone call from the police department.

“Hello?”

“Sana, I heard about what you and Tzuyu did. Good job!” Nayeon praised. “Just go home and rest tonight, you guys can get started on the police report tomorrow.”

“And by ‘you guys’ you mean me,” Sana replied, “Tzuyu doesn’t touch paperwork. She doesn’t even think about it.”

“True,” Nayeon chuckled.

“Alright, thanks.” Sana ended the call.

“Just drive me home,” Sana muttered to Tzuyu.

“I already am, I was just kidding about the whole ‘staying with me tonight’ thing,” Tzuyu teased.

“I’m going to kill you.” Sana glared at Tzuyu.

“No you won’t,” Tzuyu laughed loudly. “If you wanted to, you would have done it a long time ago.”

“True, very true,” Sana nodded.

The two laughed quietly as Tzuyu drove Sana back to her house. It was a surprisingly short drive.

“See you tomorrow?” Tzuyu winked at Sana as she got out of the vehicle.

“Of course I will, we work together,” Sana deadpanned.

“It’s still fun to ask!” Tzuyu pouted, before breaking out into a smile and waving her goodbye. Sana stopped herself from smiling and just turned around, entering her apartment.

I do not think she’s cute. I do NOT.