Not a Simple Robbery

Partners in Justice

“I knew I shouldn’t have slept over last night!” Sana scrambled out of the bed, taking the comforter with her and wrapping it around her very body. With the slight soreness both of their bodies felt, there’s no denying what happened the night before.

“Calm down, this is nothing to freak out about,” Tzuyu chucked, rested her hands behind her head. Amused eyes followed Sana as she paced the room.

“This is absolutely something to freak out about!” Sana brought her eyes back to Tzuyu and regretted it immediately.

Tzuyu was laying on her bed as as the day she was born.

“Why are you laying there ?!” One of the corners of the comforter almost knocked over a lamp on the bedside table with how fast Sana turned away.

“Because you took away my only comforter?” Tzuyu replied teasingly.

“Cover yourself!”

Tzuyu rolled her eyes before deciding to pity Sana. The not-so-modest girl sat up and covered her front with one of her large pillows.”You know, It’s not nice to hog all the blankets. I don’t remember much of last night, but I do remember my toes feeling very cold.”

“I can’t believe you think all this is a joke,” Sana sneered, gripping her only lifeline tighter against herself. This only made Tzuyu grin wider.

“What are you trying to hide? It’s nothing I haven’t seen before.”

Sana flushed deep red. “I-It’s not right!”

“I don’t know why you’re so freaked out, we’ve done this before,” Tzuyu pointed out.

“That doesn’t make this any better! Waking up next to the last person you want to be with doesn’t get easier!” Sana shot back. She can’t believe she let this happen again.“This is the last time I’m sleeping over here drunk.”

Tzuyu raised one perfect eyebrow while smirking, “So you’ll sleep over her again not drunk?”

“Oh my god can you ever not be obnoxious?”

“I’ll let you know when that happens.”

“Why are you so-”

“You know,” Tzuyu cut her off, “people say that your drunk state is your most truthful form.”

“And?”

“I’m just saying, considering how you always end up doing this when you’re drunk, maybe you-”

“Don’t you dare finish that sentence,” Sana immediately stopped Tzuyu when a hard glare. “Last night, as well as all those other nights, meant nothing.”

Tzuyu let out a long sigh, shaking her head in disappointment.

“If you say so.”

“I know so.”

“Well considering how this is nothing, there’s no point in you wasting your time freaking out about this.” Tzuyu removed the pillow from herself and got out of bed. Sana quickly turned away again when she caught a glance at her partner’s bare bottom.

“”R-Right.”

“We’ll just do what we always do when this happens,” Tzuyu shrugged as she walked into her closet, picking out some clean, professional-looking clothes to wear for the day.

“Forget it happened,” Sana nodded.

“And not say a word,” Tzuyu finished, “we’re not supposed to have romantic relationships in our police department.”

“I’m sure that goes for all police departments.”

“Yep,” Tzuyu awkwardly nodded before going into her bathroom to shower and freshen up for the day. After making sure Tzuyu was occupied in the bathroom, Sana finally placed the comforter back on the bed. She picked up her clothes that were scattered across the floor. How they ended up in such odd locations, she’ll never know.

How did my bra end up under her rug?

Sana held her clothes in front of her body as she waited for Tzuyu to exit the bathroom. She didn’t feel good about wearing the same clothes she wore yesterday, but beggars can’t be choosers. Steam seeped into the bedroom as Tzuyu opened the bathroom door.

“Okay, I’m done. You can-”

Tzuyu barely even blinked before a blur rushed pass her. Sana was determined to get into the bathroom without letting Tzuyu’s wandering eyes get a glimpse of her goodies. Tzuyu snorted as the door slammed shut behind her, but chose not to say anything.

After Sana finished showering and getting ready in the bathroom, she walked into the living room and found Tzuyu sitting on the couch with her cell phone next to her ear.

“Okay, we’ll be right there,” Tzuyu said seriously before hanging up and looking Sana in the eyes.

“Five houses have been robbed last night. Each one had a similar threatening note attached to their front door.”

______________________________________________________________________

 

Sana and Tzuyu rushed into the police department. When Nayeon saw them, she immediately called them over to brief them about the case. She had a whiteboard behind her that was full of all the information they were able to get their hands on. Nayeon nodded at Jeongyeon to begin the case briefing.

“Five different families called us last night to tell us they were robbed. They all arrived home late last night to find many of their items gone. At first, we thought it was a coincidence and we were going to pass it off as a normal robbery. When we dispatched our police to the houses to take their statements, they all found a similar note attached to their front doors,” Jeongyeon explained. She pointed at the five notes on the center of the whiteboard. They all have the same thing written on them.

Your items won’t be the only thing stolen next time.

“Creepy stuff,” Dahyun commented. Momo nodded, taking note that all the notes had the same handwritting.

“We see this as a threat,” Jeongyeon stated, “we are sure that the intention of this robbery was not to take their items, but to infuse fear in our victims.”

“Typical work of a criminal.” Sana nodded. She studied the notes for a second before gesturing her pen at them. “The note says that their items won’t be the only thing ‘stolen’ next time… This might be foreshadowing a future kidnapping.”

“Exactly. We aren’t going to treat this as a normal burglary case, but a potential kidnapping, or maybe even murder.” Nayeon gathered a few files before handing them to Momo and Dahyun.

“Momo, Dahyun, take a look at the notes and try to figure out what they mean. They all have the same message, but they all also have different symbols at the bottom left corner,” Nayeon said as she pointed at the differing symbols on each note.

Momo and Dahyun looked at the symbols of each note closely. They saw what looked like tiles, a bed, a cross, some sharp-looking squiggly lines, and a straight horizontal line.

“Well this is a bit confusing…” Momo squinted as she looked at each one. Dahyun was already having a headache trying to figure out what they all meant.

“I know, this is why you two are going to spend all day figuring it out. It may be a clue to where our suspect is located,” Nayeon replied.

“Why would they leave us a clue though? Do they want to be caught?” Tzuyu never understood those criminals that leave behind so much evidence; like, you might as well turn yourselves in.

“They might feel cocky about their crimes. Leaving clues might be a way for them to empower themselves, something like ‘I’m leaving behind so much evidence, but you’ll still never find me’ kind of thing,” Sana explained, copying down the symbols onto her notepad.

“Ohh! You see, this is why you’re my partner.” Tzuyu wrapped her arm around Sana’s shoulder with a proud look on her face.

“No, I’m your partner because I was assigned to be your partner.”

“So you say.”

“Why would I ever-”

“Guys, please. We don’t have time for this,” Jeongyeon stopped their bantering with a disapproving shake of her head. The two girls ducked their heads shyly at being reprimanded by their deputy.

“Thank you. Now, Sana and Tzuyu, I want you two to interview our victims. Try to cross-reference their information and find out what is common between them. Maybe there’s a reason the suspect chose these specific families. Go to them as soon as you’re ready,” Jeongyeon ordered, standing up from the desk to dismiss the team.

“Yes ma’am.” Both detectives nodded while Sana took the folder that contained information about the victims’ addresses.

“Let’s go, Tzuyu,” Sana said as she started walking towards the exit.

“Yes ma’am!” Tzuyu repeated to Sana this time, giving her a salute. Her partner did nothing but roll her eyes and continued her way to the door.

“So Chief… Do you think they will figure it out who the suspect is?” Jeongyeon asked Nayeon after the two left the room.

“I’m sure they will… and they’ll probably come back here arguing with each other while they drag the suspect in,” Nayeon replied.

“Like they usually do,” Jeongyeon nodded.

“Exactly.”

______________________________________________________________________

 

Tzuyu excitedly hopped into the police car (not before opening Sana’s door, of course). After Sana buckled her seatbelt, she began inputting their victims’ addresses into their GPS system.

“Let’s solve us some mysteries!” Tzuyu clapped her hands before putting the car in drive.

Sana gave Tzuyu a disapproving look. “We’re not supposed to have fun doing this. This is a serious crime, we’re supposed to take this seriously.”

“Jeez, what ant crawled up your ?”

Sana growled.

.

“Just drive.”

“Okay.”

Tzuyu began driving, following the the instructions that were provided by the GPS.

“You wanna make small talk?” Tzuyu asked while they waited at a red light.

“Nope.”

“Okay, have you ever had a romantic partner?” Tzuyu decided to ask anyways.

Sana scoffed at Tzuyu's complete disregard to her reply as she answered, ”I’ve had a boyfriend before, but he cheated on me.”

“What?! That’s a y move... what a douche.” Tzuyu’s eyebrows furrowed in anger as she frowned. Sana can’t remember the last time Tzuyu looked so bothered.

“I know... he ran off with some girl that was way prettier and more talented than me...” Sana sighed as she looked out the window.

“I doubt that,” Tzuyu chuckled.

“No, he really did run off with some girl.” Sana looked at Tzuyu.

“Not that part, I mean the whole ‘she’s way prettier and more talented than you’ part,” Tzuyu clarified.

“Uh-”

“I haven’t met anyone more beautiful or talented than you,” Tzuyu complimented seriously. There was no hint of it being a joke or a tease. Sana suddenly found the dashboard interesting as she tried to keep her blush at bay.

“T-Thanks.” Sana replied quietly.

“No problem.”

Okay, maybe she’s not always a … but she’s still a .

______________________________________________________________________

 

Sana and Tzuyu arrived at their first house. After they knocked on the door, the two were let into the house by a distraught man.

“Hello sir, we have a few questions about the robbery that occurred last night,” Sana said as she stepped into the living room. Many items were missing. It looked nearly empty.

“Is your family here as well?” Sana asked.

“No, they’re out right now. Not much to do here as you can see,” he answered, looking sadly at his once full living room..

“Was last night the first time you were aware of the robbery?” Sana asked as she looked around.

“Yes, but we suspect that the robbery could have happened earlier than yesterday,” he replied, “I-I don’t know who could have done this.”

“Do you have any enemies?” Tzuyu asked as she inspected his house.

“No, I don’t talk to anyone, not even my neighbors,” he replied.

Tzuyu raised an eyebrow. “Not even to offer them fresh baked cookies?”

The man gave her a strange look. “No, I never talk to my neighbors. I don’t think they would have done this while I was gone.”

“Gone? What do you mean?” Sana asked him.

“We-”

“Wow, this is a nicely carved mantle, was this hand made?” Tzuyu suddenly asked as she rubbed her hand against the fireplace’s smooth mantle.

“Uh, I’m not sure. It was already like that when we moved in a few years ago.” The man raised an eyebrow, confused about the sudden question.

“Tzuyu, now is not the time to appreciate the interior design of this house,” Sana scolded. Tzuyu raised up her hands in a surrendering manner.

“Right, sorry.” Tzuyu continued to feel up other objects in the house.

“Don’t touch that!” the man shouted at Tzuyu when she touched a vase.

“Oh, sorry.” Tzuyu placed the vase back on the shelf she found it in.

“Sorry, but that is very expensive and fragile. It’s the last precious item I have… I’m surprised the robber didn’t take that,” the man apologized for his loud tone earlier.

“That’s fine sir, but please continue what you were trying to say before about being gone,” Sana prompted the man.

“Oh right. My family and I suddenly got an invitation to a ski resort about a week ago. It was an all-paid vacation, so of course we went. We had a lot of fun… but we returned to this,” he explained, waving his arms around the empty parts of house.

“Interesting…” Sana nodded. “I think we have what we need to know.”

“That’s all you wanted to ask me?” The man was surprised by how little questions they asked.

“For now. Thank you for your time.” Sana walked towards the front door and excused herself. She stepped outside and walked back to the police car. She suddenly realized that Tzuyu was nowhere near her and growled.

“Tzuyu!”

“Coming!” Tzuyu sprinted out of the house. “Sorry! I was busy admiring the coffee table! I think it was mahogany, we should have that in our office!”

Goddammit Tzuyu.

______________________________________________________________________

 

The two detectives were at their last house now. They were currently interviewing their last victim.

“Let me guess, someone invited you and your family to an all-paid vacation at a ski resort last week,” Tzuyu said plainly as she rested her head on her palms, absolutely bored out of her mind.

“Yes, how did you know?” the mother of the house asked in shock.

“The other four victims said the same thing,” Sana replied, “we believe our suspect has been planning this little heist for quite some time.”

The woman trembled in fear. “W-Will we get hurt?”

“Not on my watch.” Tzuyu suddenly lifted up one of her arms and showed off her muscles. Sana slapped Tzuyu’s arm and forced it down.

Wow that’s a firm arm.

“Stop that.”

“Sorry.”

“Don’t worry ma’am, we’ll do our best to make sure that no one gets harmed,” Sana assured the woman with a smile.

“Except for the criminal though! We’re going to whoop their !” Tzuyu smirked, punching a fist into an open palm. The woman nodded awkwardly and Sana facepalmed.

Godammit Tzuyu.

______________________________________________________________________

 

Tzuyu is driving them back to the police station now that they’re done interviewing all the victims. “So, our robber is some ski-resort-vacation-giving goon.”

“No, our criminal is a person that has sent out invitations to a ski resort, waited for our victims to leave, and was capable of robbing all five houses without being seen,” Sana corrected.

“That’s what I said.”

Sana didn’t bother arguing as she continued to flip through her folder. She was about to continue talking about the case when Tzuyu suddenly slammed her hand on top of Sana’s head and pushed it down.

“What the hell are you-”

“Look out!”

Tzuyu ducked and Sana heard several gunshots. Their bulletproof glass could only take so much bullets before it finally gave way and shattered to pieces. Tzuyu looked back up and saw a car quickly driving away. She was about to give chase to the car when she heard Sana groan in pain. Tzuyu quickly looked at her and saw red. A large glass shard was pierced into Sana’s arm. She was bleeding heavily. Tzuyu knew better than to rip off the glass shard without medical assistance. Sana might lose more blood if they did.

"Did you see who that was?" Sana asked in pain.

"No, they were wearing a mask." Tzuyu replied as she looked over her partner worryingly.

“W-We should chase after that car,” Sana winced.

“No way, I’m taking you back to the police department and you’re going to get treated by Mina and Chaeyoung,” Tzuyu replied as she carefully swept away some of the glass shards off of Sana’s body.

“But the criminal-”

“Is still out there,” Tzuyu interrupted as she looked at Sana seriously, “but right now I need to make sure my partner is okay.”

Sana nodded in defeat and continued to hold her arm. Tzuyu took off her jacket and began wrapping it around Sana’s bleeding arm gently.

“It was blue,” Sana suddenly said.

“Hmm?” Tzuyu question as she carefully secured her jacket around the injury.

“The car that just drove away from us… it was blue.”

“Okay,” Tzuyu noted, “sit tight.”

Tzuyu sounded the alarms and raced to the police department. Sana looked at her partner’s side profile in awe.

Serious Tzuyu is quite… attractive.

______________________________________________________________________

 

“Sana!” Mina shouted in worry as Tzuyu carried Sana into the medical center.

“I said I can walk,” Sana complained as Tzuyu carefully lowered Sana onto one of the beds.

“And risk you losing more blood with every step? Not a chance.”

Mina quickly ran to Sana with her supplies. Chaeyoung walked in and rushed to them.

“What happened?!” Chaeyoung asked with wide eyes. They haven’t had any serious blood loss problems in a long time. Most of the time they just have to place bandaids on Tzuyu.

“Someone tried to shoot us. They missed, but the windshield’s glass got into Sana’s arm,” Tzuyu explained.

Mina nodded and carefully removed Tzuyu’s jacket. She winced when she saw the large gash on Sana’s arm.

“Prepare the iodine and the gauze,” Mina ordered Chaeyoung. Chaeyoung nodded and grabbed the items from the mountain of supplies they had.

Mina took out some rather large tweezers and moved it towards Sana’s arm. Sana trembled a bit as it got closer. Tzuyu noticed this and took Sana’s hand into one of her own. Her other hand held Sana’s chin and gently forced her to turn away from the tweezers.

“It’s easier if you don’t look at it."

“Thanks,” Sana whispered.

“Don’t mention it.”

Mina slowly pulled out the big glass shard. It was pretty deep in Sana’s arm. Sana winced in pain and gripped Tzuyu’s hand tighter. Tzuyu tried not to show her distressed face as Sana tightened her death grip on Tzuyu’s hand.

She’s pretty sure she’ll need Mina or Chaeyoung to check it afterwards to make sure it’s not broken.

Mina finished pulling out the glass shard and Chaeyoung quickly applied iodine on Sana’s gash. Sana bit her lip hard in order to stop a pained scream from escaping her lips. Tzuyu noticed this and softly Sana's cheek.

“Don’t do that, you’ll ruin your soft lips.”

“H-How do you know they’re soft?” Sana managed to ask.

“I didn’t forget everything that happened last night.” Tzuyu winked.

Mina and Chaeyoung both raised an eyebrow at that statement, but they let it slide. Mina carefully wrapped the gauze around Sana’s arm. After securing it in place, Mina patted Sana’s shoulder. “There you go, you’re fine now. The gash should be completely healed within two weeks.”

"Thanks a lot you guys." Sana smiled gratefully at the two doctors.

“What happened to the person that tried to shoot you guys?” Chaeyoung asked as she put the medical supplies away.

Sana looked down, ”They got away, because of me.”

“It’s not your fault.” Tzuyu rested her hand on Sana’s, patting it in comfort.

“But-”

“Stop beating yourself up. Don’t worry, we’ll catch that criminal soon. Everything will be okay,” Tzuyu stated confidently. Mina and Chaeyoung nodded in agreement.

Sana sighed quietly as she gave a little nod as well, unable to get the blue car out of her mind.

“I hope so.”