Lamps are Dangerous

Partners in Justice

Sana was crouching under a desk as she eyed her suspect. They had been chasing this guy for a few days now. He was suspected for first-degree murder of his neighbor. Sana hid herself deeper under the desk as the suspect walked near her. She and her partner in justice, Tzuyu, obtained a search warrant from Judge Jihyo earlier that day. They broke into his house to obtain more evidence, but he suddenly came home. They didn’t necessarily have to hide, but Tzuyu suggested that it would be way more fun this way.

Sana almost facepalmed when she looked across the room.

Across the room was Tzuyu; she was surprisingly able to nudge herself in the tight space between the back of a couch and a wall. It wasn’t because of Tzuyu’s choice of a hiding place that made Sana want to facepalm, oh no, it was because Tzuyu was sticking her head out from behind the couch and is currently admiring the fabric of their suspect’s window curtains.

Tzuyu suddenly turned to Sana and smiled. She mouthed the words ‘this curtain is so soft’. Sana quickly pointed at Tzuyu and pointed downwards, trying to tell her to get back down. Tzuyu just smirked and continue to feel up the soft curtain.

This -

The man entered the room once more. Tzuyu quickly ducked back behind the couch. Sana shook her head.

How is she not fired from our police department yet?

Sana and Tzuyu found enough evidence to arrest the man. They found a folder where he described how much he hated his neighbor and wanted him dead. They also searched through his computer’s history; they found that he searched up ‘how to poison someone with household items’. According to their forensic team’s autopsy, their victim died from toxic poisoning.

Their suspect was drinking a glass of water as he walked towards his window. Sana’s eyes widened as he ended up standing very close to the couch. The man was looking out his window, smirking as he looked at his neighbor’s house, which is obviously currently empty.

Tzuyu poked her head out of the other side of the couch, away from the man. She looked at Sana and mouthed ‘now?’. Sana quickly shook her head. Tzuyu pouted.

Can she not?

The man walked closer to the window, gently caressing his curtains. He looked distracted enough. This was the perfect moment for Tzuyu to apprehend the man. Sana was trying to signal for Tzuyu to do it now, but here’s the problem: Tzuyu wasn’t paying attention to her anymore. She was too busy touching the curtains again. Sana almost growled as she tried to get Tzuyu to look at her.

Great, the one time I actually WANT her to look at me, she doesn’t.

Sana picked up an eraser she found on the floor and threw it at Tzuyu. Tzuyu jumped a bit before looking at Sana. Tzuyu pouted again before raising her eyebrows and mouthing ‘what?’. Sana rolled her eyes before mouthing the word ‘now’.

Tzuyu smirked and immediately stood up.

“What the f-” the man backed up and got ready to grab his lamp.

“You have nice curtains, what are they made of?” Tzuyu asked with a smile as she grabbed the man by the arms and turned him around, tightly gripping his hands.

“I-It’s suede… Is that why you are in my house?! To ask me what type of curtains I have?!” the man shouted angrily as he managed to push Tzuyu off of him. Tzuyu responded by pushing him onto the floor.

“No, we’re here because of what you did to that nice gentlemen that lived across the street from you,” Sana said as she crawled out from under the desk.

“I did not poison him!” the man defended himself.

Gotcha.

Sana smirked before replying, “And how did you know he was poisoned? That was never released to the public.”

The man’s eyes widened and continued to squirm under Tzuyu. He managed to grab his lamp from a nearby table and smashed it against Tzuyu’s head. Tzuyu flinched in pain; this gave their suspect enough time to get out from underneath Tzuyu and run into another room in his house.

“Tzuyu!” Sana immediately helped Tzuyu up, she looked at her with concern when she saw blood trickling down her forehead.

“Are you-”

“I’m fine, let’s get him before he runs away!” Tzuyu ran into the same room that the man ran into. She stopped at the doorway and cautiously looked inside. She pulled out her gun from her hollister. Sana followed Tzuyu and pulled out her own gun. They didn’t know if the man had any weapons stashed in his other rooms, but they weren’t taking any chances.

They suddenly heard the man yell.

“Dammit!”

Tzuyu and Sana quickly ran into the room with their guns pointed outwards. They found the man on the floor, his foot got tangled by a curtain when he tried to climb out the window. Tzuyu smirked again as she put her gun back into her hollister. She walked towards the window and hoisted the man up. She quickly turned him around and slammed him against the wall. Sana quickly ran to them and took out her handcuffs. After Sana handcuffed the man, Tzuyu let Sana hold on to him as she continued to feel the soft curtains.

“Suede, is that what you said? Very nice.” Tzuyu smiled as she rubbed her hands up and down the window curtains.

Sana rolled her eyes as she dragged the man out of the house, “You have the right to remain silent-”

“I know my rights,” the man grumbled.

If you interrupt me again...

“I’m sure you do,” Sana replied angrily, shaking her head. “I’m still required to say it to you.”

Sana continued to state his Miranda Rights as she dragged him to the police car that Tzuyu parked down the street. Tzuyu came out of the house and skipped behind them.

“Tzuyu, can you unlock the car?” Sana asked as she continued to restrain the man from any dangerous movements.

“Why me?” Tzuyu asked as she looked at her fingernails.

“Because you have the car keys?” Sana wanted to strangle Tzuyu.

You don’t know how badly I want to.

“Oh, right.” Tzuyu took out her car keys and unlocked their police car. Sana shoved the man into the back seat before walking to the passenger seat.

Tzuyu smiled at Sana as she entered the car. “We did it again, buddy~”

Tzuyu held out her fist. Sana stared at it, very unimpressed.

What the actual -

“Come on! Celebratory fist bump!” Tzuyu continued to hold out her fist. Sana slammed the back of her head onto the soft headrest behind her while she reluctantly fist bumped Tzuyu. The younger detective puffed out her chest with pride as she drove to the police department.

Sana glanced at Tzuyu and remember that she was hit in the head with a lamp when she saw the dried blood on her forehead.

“Oh my god, I forgot you got hurt,” Sana said, “Are you okay?”

Tzuyu waved off her concern. “Pfft, as if that little lamp could injure me~”

“You bled,” Sana deadpanned, “a lot.”

“Yeah? Well, bleeding is a natural process of life.” Tzuyu lifted her chin with pride.

“Right…” Sana raised an eyebrow.

“So, you guys figured it all out, huh?” the man asked as he looked out the window.

“It wasn’t very difficult, you left all sorts of evidence lying around your house,” Tzuyu shrugged.

“But I played the role of the ‘concerned neighbor’! So many people have excluded me from their list of suspects!” the man argued. “How did you know to search my house?!”

“It was simple. We were able to find fingerprints on your neighbor’s wounds. We then ran them through our system, but we unfortunately had no luck. We soon checked his workplace and they mentioned that someone may have been deathly jealous of the promotion he recently received-”

“That doesn’t mean !” the man rudely interrupted Sana.

Sana glared at the man before continuing, “We got that certain someone’s name and searched through our victim’s house again. We found hyacinths on the floor. Upon further inspection, we realized that your house is the only house within a fifteen mile radius that grew hyacinths on their front lawn.”

“Which look very nice, by the way.” Tzuyu nodded with respect. The urge to smack Tzuyu upside the head was very strong, but Sana held back.

“We then searched who the owner of the house was and found that it belonged to you, the same person that your company told us was acting very odd the past few weeks. Your coworkers also mentioned that you weren’t at work during the time of his murder.”

“Like really, dude? Why would you commit crimes during the day?” Tzuyu judged him so hard.

“The nights are reserved for Dungeons and Dragons!” the man shot back.

 “Anyway,” Sana cut in, “that was enough for us to get a warrant to search your house. You didn’t help yourself by leaving all your detailed plans on your office table.”

Easy as pie. Even though pie isn’t that easy to make.

The man shook his head before looking at the back of Sana’s head in anger.

“You don’t understand… Do you want to know why I killed him?” the man chuckled.

“As I have said before, you have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law,” Sana reminded him as she continued to look forward.

“I don’t give a , I’m already going downhill from here,” he chuckled darkly. “I poisoned him because he’s been bragging to me about his damn promotion! I’ve worked in that company for ten years! Ten! He’s only been there for what? Ten weeks?!”

“Sir-” Tzuyu tried to say.

“I deserved that promotion! I’ve spent so much of my life and time away in that damn company and this damn kid just snatched that promotion away from me!” he continued to shout.

“Sir!” Tzuyu shouted. “Can you shut the up? You’re probably going to be sentenced to life in prison with these confessions! Do you know what happens in prison? ed up !”

“I don’t care… What is life anyways?” the man murmured as he sat back in his seat.

“Life is a place for you to chase your dreams, not kill people, and meet y people,” Tzuyu replied with a smirk. She winked at Sana when she said her last point.

Sana shook her head and looked at Tzuyu. “You couldn’t be more eloquent with your wording?”

“Being eloquent is for losers.”

Sana let out a long sigh.

Why do I even bother?

______________________________________________________________________

 

The detectives arrived at the police department and let the other officers handle the criminal they just arrested. Tzuyu laid back on her chair and rested her muddy boots on her desk. Sana grimaced as the saw the globs of mud dirty the paperwork.

Paperwork she probably never started.

“Sana, good job!” Nayeon praised as she exited her own office.

Sana smiled. “Thanks Chief!”

“I heard you caught him easily without a fight.” Jeongyeon smiled at Sana.

“We did, Deputy Jeongyeon.” Sana smiled back.

Tzuyu scoffed as she stood up and walked towards them. “Princess here left without a fight. I, however, might have been in a wee little fight.” Tzuyu said as she pinched her index finger and thumb together, indicating how “wee” it was.

“Tzuyu, you have blood on your forehead,” Jeongyeon said blankly as she stared at red gash.

“Yeah, well, that just comes with the job!” Tzuyu smiled at them.

“Go get that wound examined by Mina.” Nayeon rolled her eyes. “I don’t need bleeding workers in this building.”

“Yes, ma’am!” Tzuyu skipped towards the police department’s medical center. Sana, Nayeon, and Jeongyeon shook their heads.

“She’s weird,” Nayeon pointed out.

“And she’s barely competent enough to do her job.” Sana crossed her arms.

“But she does a good job,” Jeongyeon finished off. The others silently nodded in agreement.

Tzuyu does a good job… sometimes.

______________________________________________________________________

 

“Doctor Mina!” Tzuyu said as she walked into the medical center. Mina turned around and smiled at Tzuyu.

“Hi Tzuyu- Oh!” Mina immediately grabbed her first-aid kid and walked towards Tzuyu.

“Got into a ‘wee’ fight again?” Mina smiled as she dabbed alcohol on Tzuyu’s small cut. Tzuyu winced a bit, but smiled.

“Yeah.”

Chaeyoung walked into the medical center and put on her own white lab coat, “Hey guys- Oh . Tzuyu, what happened this time?”

“I got hit with a lamp,” Tzuyu smiled sheepishly.

Again?” Chaeyoung giggled.

“If I recall, you did get hit with a lamp a week ago as well.” Mina giggled with Chaeyoung.

“I don’t recall.” Tzuyu rubbed the back of her neck.

“Of course you don’t, you were knocked out.” Chaeyoung rolled her eyes.

“A lamp knocked me out?” Tzuyu’s pride decreased.

“No, I think it was the baseball bat that got you.” Mina chuckled quietly.

“Oh.”

Mina stuck a bandaid on Tzuyu’s forehead after she finished cleaning it up, “There you go, good as new.”

“Thanks Mina, I don’t know what we would do without you,” Tzuyu patted Mina’s back.

“Ahem,” Chaeyoung crossed her arms.

“You too Chaeyoung, we love you,” Tzuyu patted Chaeyoung’s back as well before walking out of the medical center.

“She’s a bit... odd… Do you think it’s because of the lamp?” Mina asked Chaeyoung as she put away the first-aid kit.

Hell no. She’s been this odd since she was born,” Chaeyoung replied, laughing.

______________________________________________________________________

 

Tzuyu walked towards Sana’s desk and slammed her hand down on it. The sudden action shocked Sana and caused her to jump in her seat. Sana took off her reading glasses and placed her papers on her desk.

“Yes, Tzuyu?”

“I just wanted to ask you if you would like to go out for a drink later. You know, to celebrate our success today.” Tzuyu played with the little squirrel ornament on Sana’s desk.

“No thanks.” Sana moved the squirrel from Tzuyu’s hands.

Tzuyu pouted. “Come on, let loose for once.”

“I’m good, thanks.” Sana put her reading glasses on again and continued to read through some reports.

“Don’t you ever want to be bad?” Tzuyu smirked down at Sana. Sana scoffed and looked Tzuyu straight in the eye.

“No? Being bad lands you in prison. You should know that.”

Tzuyu let out a big laugh. “You know that’s not what I meant! I mean, have you ever not been a goody two-shoes?

“You have no idea what I’m capable of,” Sana sneered.

“Cool, so I’ll meet you here at ten and I’ll drive us to a bar.” A hand was slammed down onto Sana’s desk again in confirmation before Tzuyu walked back to her own desk.

“I didn’t mean-”

“See you at ten!” Tzuyu waved Sana off. She leaned back in her seat and rested her feet on her desk again. Earbuds were placed into her ears before a soft humming could be heard in the office.

Sana gripped her papers roughly, causing them to wrinkle.

“Hey! Be careful with those papers! One of us has to complete them and it sure as hell ain’t me.”

Angry hands gripped the papers harder.

If only these papers were Tzuyu’s stupid neck.