winters in nyo

The Lost Kindgom

Even in the land of Nyo, winter chills the rooftops and brings out the thicker padded garb of the people.  Inside the palace walls is no exception.  Today, morning has brought a fine covering of ice that crystallizes the trees and shrubbery.  Out on the square, small white clouds represent voices in a physical albeit ethereal form.  The visible puffs of air enshrouds the mouth of the speaker.

"Your Highness!"

"Your Highness, please!  Where are you?"

"Prince Sehun, do not forget the Queen's ire when you missed your last lesson!"

The man-servants and palace maidens rush around the gardens in search of the ten year old prince.  The prince has grown into a healthy, bubbly boy as Shuhwa had predicted.  The omens of the spring breeze on his birth day did not lie.  However, an odd thing had happened as the prince was growing up.  The closeness Prince Sehun had with the Seer's son Minseok, was now common knowledge to those close to Prince Sehun.  The friendship was not encouraged and had blossomed in a strange, almost magical way.  As soon as Prince Sehun had learned to walk on his own, he had marched straight to Minseok's quarters.  Still not completely, steady, the young Prince had firmly planed himself in the arms of a startled Minseok.  The maidens that had followed Prince Sehun told the tale that the smile Prince Sehun had had on his face upon meeting the Seer's son, was as radiant as the sun.  Since then, the two have been almost inseparable with the Prince, rather than Minseok, earnestly seeking the other's company.

Even now, as the servants rush around the grounds, Prince Sehun giggles from his hiding place under the Minseok's thick winter bedding.  The door, remaining open from Sehun's hasty entrance, is ajar and outside, Minseok can see the square and the servants in frantic search.  Soon, Minseok knows that the servants will come here to the East Building.

Quickly, Minseok crosses the room to close the door.  Minseok himself doesn't quite mind the refreshing winter breeze, but for the sake of the Prince, he slides the door tight.  The search party will eventually find the Prince, but for now...

"Your Highness" Minseok calls, gingerly lifting the covers to peek under.

Sehun giggles once more and pulls on Minseok's arm.

"Come underneath, hyung.  You too.  Let's hide here.  It's as cold as the Seol mountains out there!"

Minseok sighs, but does as he's asked.  After all, it's not the first time this has happened.  Minseok himself is late to his calligraphy lessons, but unlike Sehun, there's not as many people to scold him for missing a class.  

Once Minseok is under the covers, Sehun presses his body close to Minseok's.  The young Prince is surprisingly warm even in the cold winter day.  Worried, Minseok brings a hand to Sehun's forehead.  At this gesture, Sehun closes his eyes and smiles; he likes the attention and the touch from Minseok.  When Minseok doesn't detect a fever, he tilts his head in confusion.

"There's no fever..." Minseok mumbles to himself.  "But why is His Highness so warm?"

"I told you to not call me that when we're alone together" pouts Sehun.  "Call me by my name, like you usually do."

Sehun stares intently and sternly into Minseok's face, but that's not why Minseok acquiesces. 

"Alright, Sehun-ah" Minseok gives in with an indulgent smile.  "Alright.  I'm just worried you're sick."

Sehun gives a satisfied snort and smile in return, then adds, "I'm not sick, you know.  I'm getting hot because you're here with me."

"..."

At that, Minseok unconsciously goes red in the ears.  Sehun himself, doesn't seem to be fazed and busies himself with tucking the ends of the bedding around their bodies.  Minseok quietly observes Sehun and how he presses them closer and closer so that none of their body parts are giving them away by sticking out of the blanket.  Once satisfied, Sehun nestles into Minseok's side.  The smaller boy gives a content sigh as he lies down on the pillow and pulls Minseok down with him.

"Hyung, let's go back to sleep" Sehun requests with a small yawn.  "I think I sleep best when I'm touching you.  Skin to skin."

This time, Minseok's cheeks redden as Sehun buries his nose into the crook of Minseok's neck.  This boy, four years younger than Minseok, often puzzles Minseok.  At times, Sehun seems too mature for his age and at times, he seems like the baby Minseok has always known him as.   It's at moments like these, even when Minseok is bigger in bodily size, that he feels like Sehun could really be a friend.  An ally.  Someone to lean on in troubled times.  But as soon as he feels the edges of his heart melt a little, Minseok suddenly remembers his mother's warning.

 

'Ice will be the death of you.  Fire will eat up your heart.  And Wind will fail you.'

 

Minseok closes his eyes.  When his mother's eyes turned red like it did that night, her fortunes were always scarily accurate.  Minseok tries to put it from his mind as he slowly falls asleep to the warmth of the boy beside him.  After all, how could this adorable young prince harm him?

 

 

 

In about half an hour, the servants eventually knock on Minseok's door.  Searching Minseok's room last is the servants' way of doting on a young prince who considered arithmetic lessons with old scholar Hol as torture.  Minseok is already awake when the servants enter to gently carry Sehun away.  And as Minseok watches a sleeping Sehun disappear on the back of a man servant, Minseok wonders if his interpretation of his mother's omen has any truth.

 

 

+++

"seol" means "ice".