the prince of nyo

The Lost Kindgom

note: "nyo" means "wind".

+++

It is a warm spring morning when the first prince of Nyo is born.  There's a light, playful breeze that drifts in and out of the blossom trees outside the Queen's birthing chambers.  This, the Queen thinks, must be a sign of a kind hearted and happy child coming forth into the world.  Sitting silently next to the Queen is none other than Shuhwa, the Royal Fortune Teller.  Eyes downcast, the fortune teller mumbles under her breath, asking for good omens from the gods above and the spirits amongst them.  The midwives and the Royal Physicians look toward Shuhwa uncomfortably at best.  If it had been their choice, Shuhwa would not have been apart of this auspicious moment.  However, the Queen had been adamant.

"Shuhwa is dear friend before she is the Royal Seer and she will be present at my side."

At the Queen's insistence, Shuhwa had been stationed at the Queen's bedside, praying for the safe arrival of the Prince-to-be.  The beautiful Seer paid no mind to the looks of disdain and horror aimed toward her.  Instead, her crimson cloak was neatly folded beside her.  Her delicate, snow white hands moved rhythmically in a kind of chorea that came from the heavens.  Her blush lips were the only shade of color on her pale face, but they were moving rapidly as if coaxing the prince into the world.  In the corner of the room, was another strange sight.  A child of four years sat oddly still, eyes twinkling and entranced at the sight of his mother.

Minseok, the Seer's infamous son, had been brought into the birthing chambers as well.  If the opposition to Shuhwa participating in the Prince's birth had been great, the concern about the addition of her son had been even greater.  

"It's bad luck having a growing child in the birthing chamber.  Especially one of his lineage" the servants had whispered.

"He might be in the way, your Highness.  Surely one of the maids could look after him in the mean time?" suggested one of the midwives.

"To be sure, a birthing chamber is no place for a young boy" agreed the physicians.

But the Queen had smiled upon Minseok's cherub face.  Skin milky white with rosy cheeks and strangely alluring eyes, Minseok had captured the Queen's heart.

"He shall stay with his mother" the Queen had declared.  "And his mother shall stay by my side."

For as well-versed as the Queen was in the life of royalty, her pregnant state had made her feel that much more vulnerable.  After all, there was no telling who was on your side inside the walls of the palace.

 

 

 

When the Prince is finally born, the Queen takes one look into the Prince's face and laughs in relief.  The bawling expression of the infant prince is familiar to the Queen.  Though the Prince does not stop crying, the Queen sees the shadow of her father in the tiny face.

"He shall be named Sehun" the Queen tells the physician in charge.  "After my father.  He shall be Prince Oh Sehun of the land of Nyo."

One of the midwives hand the babe over to the Queen.  Kissing the thrashing infant's forehead, the Queen, much to everyone's horror, hands the child to Shuhwa.  

"Please, friend.  Give me a glimpse of my son's future."

Shuhwa holds Sehun in her hands, careful not to hold the infant to her own .  At half an arm's length, she holds the screaming baby in consideration, looking into the child's deep brown eyes.  It's a wonder that the child's eyes are already open and as she immerses herself in the future life of the child, Minseok too wobbles over quietly.  Minseok's eyes are much too bright and intent for a child of four and yet, Minseok too can be seen looking into the infant's eyes.  It's the first time Minseok has seen a child other than himself.

"The prince will be known to the future generations as a great King.  His rule will extend over a kingdom that is larger than the kingdom he knows now" Shuhwa announces.  She does not say all she has seen; there will be other times for that.  For now, she tells the mother of the Prince the happy news.

Tears of joy and happiness stream down the exhausted Queen's face.

"Thank you, old friend.  Thank you."

The infant prince is laid next to his mother once again.  But before the Queen closes her eyes for a rest, she sees the infant's hand rise up.  The Prince's tiny fingers enclose around a small pudgy hand.  The servants gasp as the infant prince grips Minseok's finger.  And as Minseok giggles in delight, the infant prince shudders a sigh that racks his whole frame.  It's a sigh of relief and everyone gazes in awe as the infant prince finally stops crying.