Three Diamonds

Baccarat

Warning; contains few swear words, and slight violence. 


Mark knew he should have ignored all the hurried knocking just moments ago. He was already dead tired after the mess that he experienced in the past ten hours. His China business getting cut short after his best friend rushed in with pure panic present on his face, shouting something about the boss going completely mad over the line, requesting for him to come back home. To say that Mark was slightly terrified would have been an understatement. Jungkook never called them, Jungkook was like their ‘cousin’ or so Jackson liked to state over their dinners, throwing the usual ‘Jungkook is too young to be our ‘father’ around. 


There was an unspoken rule, Jungkook never contacted his underlinings. There were the Red Angelo’s brothers, and then there was him, the Red Angelo’s messengers. That job was left to his brothers. So when the realisation of the boss getting in contact not with him but to Mark’s right-hand man was causing everyone to hear alarm bells. What the hell was going on? Just how serious was the situation up hand?


So when Jackson almost stumbled over his footing, his face completely pale as he practically threw his phone at shell-shocked Mark. He knew that something was terribly wrong.
Mark was certain that at some point during the short conversation he choked on air about five times, with the other idiotically asking Jungkook to repeat himself. Because there was no way in hell did the pretty doll that Jungkook marked as he was missing. Suga throwing a remark of ‘I told you to buy her that pretty collar and leash, but no you decided to let her experience freedom.’ However he quickly got silenced by what Mark hoped none violent way, but he knew better. 


What a tragedy that was. Mark was quite fond of her, and yet here he was undoubtedly being asked to get rid of her by no other than Jeon Jungkook. 


Jungkook ended the phone call soon after, only leaving Mark with minimal information and wild imagination. He knew how much Jungkook hated to be left waiting. So Mark against all odds managed to get himself a private jet, shoving a large pile of money towards the confused pilot with great urgency in his voice as he ordered for the pilot to get on with it. Time was ticking and he did not want to disappoint his angry boss.

 
Mark left everyone behind, waving his tearful friends goodbye before he was only granted a meeting with RM after much arguing on his side. Mark wouldn't have bothered but he was left frankly insulted after he was ordered to leave what felt like his home to only get a meeting with Lisa. Lisa ran a small 'service' house, why the hell was she about to give orders to Mark? If anything Jimin was the clear candidate. He was the one running that part of the business. Mark was pretty close to lashing out at her when she dared to remind him about the rules of Red Angelo. Lisa was only there for about two seconds, who the hell was she to give Mark a lecture? 

Just to make it worse it was her who left the room, telling RM about how she couldn't talk with Mark. To put it simply Mark wasn't impressed by the time RM marched through the doors, and if RM wasn't above his ranking by miles he would have probably punched him after RM asked him 'politely' to apologise to Lisa after the meeting. 

A picture of a familiar face was thrown on his table, making Mark swallow his saliva in a nervous manner. His sore mood forgotten when the face stared at him. Mark hated dealing with family drama, it was ironic how he did his boss bidding, he did everything and anything that he was assigned to do, however, that new task made him feel uneasy. What difference was it from the usual hit order? Or the usual kidnapping order? Yet Mark felt terrible, his eyes staring at the picture of her for a while. 


RM only gave him one order, to find Soyeon. So Mark was close to his breaking point because of those orders were like a cold metal pressed against his temples. The orders were a deep dangerous web mess. Appeared simple but carried lots of hidden meanings. Find her and do what? Bring her back? Kill her off? Help her escape? Mark got the impression that RM did not know himself. That the boss didn't have a clue either. 

RM supposedly stated that Soyeon was not to be shot dead for the first 24 hours as per Jungkook's orders. Rest for him to decide if she steps out of line. Mark walked out of the conference room with the biggest migraine in his whole life, a picture in his pocket whilst his heart felt heavy. Mark hated getting involved into an unnecessary family mess, Red Angelo was a family, it was Mark’s everything yet the very person he was told to protect when he took his blood ought two years ago, was in his snipping range. He hated it, he hated the fact that Jungkook picked him. That he left his brothers out and picked him to be the one who decided the faith of Soyeon. He knew that no matter what, Jungkook would lash out. Everyone knew that he had a soft spot for her, but only a few knew to what extent. Did he really care so much to the point that he would forgive her betrayal? Mark doubted it, but who was he to do that? Only his brothers could dare to question God and even then they would most likely be shot dead.


So Mark should have ignored it all, he deserved a good night’s rest after the madness and mind games that he had to experience. Yet when his door continued to be broken down with all the over the top knocking, Mark sounded a loud groan from his throat. There was so much noise he could deal with before he was going mad. “Shut up! Shut up! Shut the hell up!”


Whoever the person was behind his door only continued their assault. Causing Mark to throw his shirt over his head in a hurry, before he was marching over to his apartment’s front door, pulling onto the doorknob with so much force that it was a miracle that he did not pull the door off. 


 “What the do you want – ” However right before Mark could begin to go on a massive tantrum to the intruder that dared to wake him up at the middle hours of the night, Mark found himself being pushed against his wall, a gun pointed at his chest as two other individuals rushed inside his place, going to his bedroom and kitchen respectively. Mark thought that they were there to check to see if he was alone, but just to throw salt to his wounds the annoying guy went to his fridge whilst a pretty female closed his bedroom’s door behind her after she hijacked his bedroom. Mark wouldn’t have minded a female so willingly going to his bedroom if it wasn’t for the fact that he literary was being held at gunpoint. 


 Mark silently cursed under his breath, sarcastically thanking his mind for daring to wake him up to the mess that he found himself at, the male intruder making himself comfortable onto his sofa whilst a gun was still aimed at him.


“Tell Jungkook that we’re here and your head will become my new luxury purse.” Mark wanted to laugh, he really did, however, he wasn’t in a good position to do so, he knew her, he knew how short-fused her temper could be so he simply allowed her to feel superior, the more he looked at her the more she reminded him of his boss. That thought alone was pretty scary.

 
“Hey, Mark can you ring the pizza delivery place? Your fridge is pathetically empty.” Baekhyun dared to shout, his fingers clicking through the channels, his back hitting the sofa as a content sigh left his lips once a movie channel caught his attention. Baekhyun briefly turned his head towards Mark’s direction, his gaze glancing at Mark as he threw his feet onto the coffee table, a small smile appearing on Baekhyun’s face as he then turned his attention onto Fast and Furious. 


Mark was about to head over to where Baekhyun was making himself comfortable, that smile ticking all the right boxes to make Mark irritated but before he could even move a muscle Soyeon was clicking the safety off her gun, her sharp eyes glaring at him. 


So against any decent judgment, Mark was sarcastically humming, his eyes twinkling as he watched Soyeon hesitate for a brief second. “Well God damn, I didn’t expect the famous Soyeon to be visiting my doorsteps, does your fiancé know that you enjoy waking up guys in the middle of the night?” 


Before Mark could throw in another sneaky remark he felt himself being pushed backward with a great force, his legs almost tripping over each other due to the unexpected force. Soyeon kicked the front door shut, her gun being tugged back into her holster before she was making herself comfortable by slipping her high heels off, small bruises appearing against where the jet black stripes where constricted against her skin. Mark’s eyes shamelessly catching sight of her upper thighs, his attention falling onto the slight visible small tattoo of angel feathers and cross right in the middle. Mark felt his face turn pale with the presented image, making him hiss. Soyeon really was equated in Jeon Jungkook’s live, his brand marked proudly. 


“That’s a pretty tattoo did boss pick it out for you?” Mark watched a shiver run down Soyeon’s spine, her skin physically forming small Goosebumps after his words. 


“His twenty-first birthday gift.” Mark found himself staring at Soyeon’s thighs, his throat suddenly going dry. Just a bit more and he would find himself seeing what his boss had the luxury off. Mark knew he would find more surprises and clear evidence of who she was. Of what respect she could have demanded of him if she still was Jungkook’s doll. He should have looked straight away but he was too slow, Soyeon catching him in a sinful act. Mark eyes quickly darted away after they got caught by her own dark ones. He was trying to avoid the presented temptation. Mark liked his head on his shoulders, he thought.


Soyeon lips lifting up into a seductive smirk, the pad of her fingers slowly rolling down the raised fabric. If she was embarrassed she did not show it, which in turn only made Mark feel like a ert. “Pretty red lace right? Jungkook hasn’t seen my new lingerie, why don’t you do me a favor and let him know when you’ll run back to him like a good dog that you are.” Mark felt his teeth sinking against his lip, his eyes staring at the confident female in front of him, Soyeon simply brushed his glares off with a wave of her hand before she was sweeping past him, not without ensuring to bump his shoulder on her way. Mark felt sudden heat begin to rush in his cheeks in anger. Soyeon managed to make him look like a pushover without even trying. That pretty doll become certainly someone else since last time he saw her. 


“Hey Soy, why are you giving Mark suicidal ideas?” Baekhyun quickly intercepted, his throat sounding small fits of laughter as he threw his jacket at Soyeon who gladly took it, but decided against making herself comfortable next to him. There was still some tension between them which Mark quickly picked on. Now that was something that certainly caught Mark’s attention. 


Mark’s teeth where cluttering as it took all his willpower to avoid hitting Baekhyun, who in turn only let out a yelp when Soyeon stepped in front of the television, briefly blocking his view as she strode over his stretched out legs and took a seat onto the leather armchair. Her fingers swiftly trying to massage her sore shoulder, a small yelp sounding when she managed to make it worse. 


Mark found the situation up hand almost comical, here he was allowed to be pushed around by a little girl and her dog. Mark was in charge of most of the Red Angelo’s messengers, he taught them and molded them into becoming perfect for Jungkook's brothers, in turn, the boss himself, for his boss to find some use for them, yet he felt like he was the one being taught and molded into what Soyeon wanted him to be. His pride being stepped on, so with a deep breath and a silent promise to himself he pushed it all away. 


Sometimes he needed to let his pride go and he was willing to compromise if it meant that he would avoid getting his boss to paint a target over him. However, his resolve quickly shattered when Baekhyun, dared to throw his unnecessary nose in the business that did not involve him. 


“That’s hilarious Baekhyun, you surely are the jokester that I remember. Now tell me, what the hell you all are doing here?” 


Baekhyun dared to ignored Mark, only causing Mark to march over to him, his fingers gripping the remote from his hands before the room turned silent after the television was switched off. Mark was hanging onto his last sanity cells and he really hoped that Baekhyun would understand the situation he was in. He really did not want to be cleaning off his sofa after Baekhyun would be strangled to death. Mark had orders but they only revolved around one person, her two little sidekicks where useless. So he stared down at Baekhyun, warning him in silence. 


Mark felt sudden satisfaction build up when Baekhyun screeched out in horror something that resembled half a curse half a protest about it being the best part, however that did not last long, because Baekhyun was soon enough back to his annoying ways, his master plan of irritating Mark succeeding with great results.


“Mark why isn’t my pizza here?” Baekhyun’s words blew out Mark’s last fuse, his hands gripping onto Baekhyun’s shirt collar, the annoying smile slipping off his face when his eyes suddenly flashed a hint of uncertainty, Mark only taking his fear as an invitation to get order back. Mark was sick of it all, Baekhyun’s usual tactics making his overworked brain go into a spiral. His fingers tightly wrapping themselves around Baekhyun’s throat, however before he could completely close the windpipe with his strength Soyeon was on her feet. Her sharp nails digging against Mark’s forearm, her other hand traveling down to where her gun was rested.

 
There were no words spoken when Mark dark irises flashed at her in pure anger. There would be a bloodbath if he gave her a reason to fire her gun, he almost wanted to dare her to shot him. Mark knew that she would have a mental break down if she did, she might have been molded into what his boss wanted his wife to be, but she was still unsure of herself. Her eyes darting away, and if Mark wasn’t examining her so intensely he might have missed the uncertainty. Bingo. Mark thought.


“I know Baek deserves to get punched, but I would really prefer him not to be beaten, so if you could back the hell away before I will be obliged to interfere that would be golden.”
To Mark’s surprise Soyeon’s voice sounded strong, he almost expected her to sound shaken up but she pushed through. Mark’s anger was barely the icing from what she saw from Jungkook.


The room suddenly went quiet, Baekhyun’s struggling being the only sound as Mark stared at Soyeon. She made herself far too comfortable, and someone needed to put her to place. She should be cowering in fear, trying to beg for some alleys yet here she was, standing in his freaking apartment, bossing him around and throwing his boss’s name around like some simple word. Just who the hell did she think she was? Yet Mark had orders, and as much as he wanted to ignore them he knew better.


Mark pushed Baekhyun back, Baekhyun coughing as his lungs finally managed to inhale the required amount of oxygen. Mark took steps back away, smugly watching his work. His tearful eyes flashing at Mark with hatred, and Mark almost wanted to thank him, because finally was he seeing the true reaction. No more super over the top fake happy Baekhyun. He was suddenly trying to stand up, his feet dragging him face to face with Mark. 


“Do you have a death wish?”


“From who, you? Oh, Baekhyun your words mean nothing to me. I told you to stay silent and continue on with your mmm, let’s put it nicely, services but yet here you are, the most pathetic of your trio with no protection from anymore –” Mark felt the punch first, his eyes widening as he stumbled back, his shin hitting the edge of the coffee table, his wrist brushing the sudden liquid that was pouring from his cut lip in pure amazement. Byun Baekhyun dared to throw the first punch. His chest rising up and down as he was gasping for the air angrily, and before Mark could comprehend what he was doing, he was bursting into fits of laughter. Soyeon rushing over to Baekhyun, some kind of protests sounding from her lips but Mark ignored it all. 


He was gone far too long it seemed because he could barely recognise them. Mark was almost impressed with them both, but he would rather have been shot dead than admit it to them. So Mark had no choice, a low underdog could never dare to punch him and get away with it. That was how the system worked. J-Hope would have a field day if he only knew that Baekhyun managed to push him around. Byun Baekhyun out of all the people.


“Mark, don’t you dare – ” Soyeon’s words were cut off when Mark slammed his fist into Baekhyun’s face, his body almost going over the sofa from the sheer force. Mark was seeing red for the moment and Baekhyun barely had any time to react before another fist sunk into his stomach. 


Soyeon screeched for both of them to stop. Her frame quickly stepping in-front of Baekhyun just as Mark was about to throw another punch, his eyes slightly widening as she took his punch squire against her jaw. Mark’s lips quickly sounding an apology directed at her as he watched her stumble backward, small drops of blood splattering against Mark’s sofa as she coughed. Baekhyun’s arms quickly resting against her back as he tried to steady her. 


“, Soyeon are you alright? Why did you get in the way?” 


Mark watched Soyeon wipe the blood away, her tired eyes flashing at him in anger as she shook Baekhyun off her, his concurred mumbles being brushed off as she took a step forwards. 


 “Shut the hell up, take this punch as a price for our stay for the night.” 


Mark felt a snort sounding at Soyeon. She was certainly something else. Mark stepped away from both of them, making Soyeon see him like a dog running away with his tail between his legs. He leaned his back against the against the open kitchen’s countertop. His arms were crossed over his chest as he stared at both of them. “Right, and you decided that my place is the best option? Princess that’s the stupidest thing to do. You know I’m part of Red Angelo right?” 


To Mark’s surprise, he saw Soyeon’s cocky smile disappear, his eyebrows frowning as she bitterly hissed; “Don’t you ever dare to call me princess again, or I swear Jungkook won’t be able to stop me from making you my human target.” 


“Don’t forget that you already have a strike one for punching me.”


Mark found the situation amusing, it was almost beyond laughing matter as he watched Soyeon act bigger then she was. Yet her tired pale face, her bloodshot eyes and evident lack of sleep contradicting her big girl act. Soyeon was worn out, her bottom lip beginning to swell up and he thought that their faces were beginning to mirror each other. Mark knew that it hurt her, the pain shooting down her nerve endings and he was almost smugged to know that someone else was experiencing his pain. However soon she had the upper hand because her engagement ring flashed, reflecting the light coming from the light bulb and Mark felt as if someone threw cold water all over him. His boss would kill him if he knew that it was his punch that bruised his pretty doll. 


Mark’s eyes darting onto Baekhyun’s face which appeared more bruised. Baekhyun quickly rushing to look for some ice for no doubt for Soyeon first. She was always first.


“Look at you acting like you are the queen of this world, if I were in your shoes I wouldn’t be so cocky, the boss is pissed at you. Face it, you’re the human target.”

 
He watched Soyeon’s face muscles contract, sounding a weary chuckle directed at Mark and for a moment he felt bad for her. “That’s cute, yet look at you having an internal battle of where you prefer to be buried. I hope you will report back to him that you managed to punch me too, make it as detailed as you can. Tell him that you almost took my jaw off.” 


“You think the boss wouldn’t honour me for putting his doll in her place?”


“I don’t know, you tell me. Jungkook always liked to be the one who dished out punishments.” And Soyeon’s words brought the conversation to her winning side because Mark was left speechless for a moment as he stared at her. Soyeon simply sat herself down onto the armchair, Baekhyun passing her a pack of ice before he was making himself comfortable once more against Mark’s sofa. His hand holding ice as he was grumbly hissing at Mark in colourful language, which Mark ignored for the sake of avoiding another fight. 


“Now tell me something that I didn’t know, like why I’m still alive? Or why are you here?”


Mark pushed himself past Baekhyun’s legs, before he was sitting down against the edge of the coffee table, facing Soyeon directly, his knees almost touching her bare ones. They both stared at each other, there were no words exchanged for a brief instant. Mark knew that the moment he would give in and allow her to see him submissive would be a satisfying victory for her, that’s what she was waiting for, that’s what she was striving for. Mark was impressed to watch her remain calm, her posture tall and proud, her fingers gently brushing against her cut lip, a small smile tugging at her lips. 


Soyeon was almost unrecognisable compared to the shy confused girl he met two years ago. At that time she was practically plastered next to the Red Angelo’s heir, her big eyes staring around in the unfamiliar room where she was introduced to some of the loyal servants of Jeon Jungkook. To those who will follow him when he will take his rightful crown, and in-turn serves her as well. He could still remember how the corner of Soyeons’s eyes always had Jungkook in her vision, her slender cold fingers shaking each and every outreached hand, yet her attention was fully focused on the smirking Jungkook. He was sitting at the head of the table, his eyes flashing in slight danger at each and every one of them who dared to snicker at her. However, he soon was on his feet when someone managed to slip up.

Jungkook that evening beat someone to death when the guy dared to call Soyeon a ‘’ to her face. Mark could still see the fear-stricken Soyeon shivering in the corner as Jungkook forced her to watch him, to see what he was capable of. To see how much he loved her to be so willing to punish those who hurt her.


No one expected her to last long, the usual girl of the week for the future boss, yet here she was. Calling the shots without realising it. Boss made a fatal mistake when he was molding his future bride into a doll that he wanted to, he foolishly made her a female version of his messed up self. 


“You think I’m going to answer any of your questions? Just know that you made a mistake and there is no turning back. Now get out before I will accidentally do end up calling boss, my fingers can be so slippery at times.” 


Soyeon simply brushed her fingers through her long hair, laughing at Mark. “Go ahead, I think it might be fun watching you try and contact Jungkook. Take your time, I’ll gladly wait here for your failure.”


“You think that boss won’t pick up my calls? Listen – ”


“Well he might do if you are given orders, orders that are related to me, so Mark are you given orders?” Soyeon’s words where cold, it made Mark suddenly feel as if he was trailing in between knives, a wrong word and he would end up trapped, sliced up. Mark watched Soyeon cross her right leg over her left one once Mark moved away, Baekhyun’s jacket being thrown over her thighs, as she cheekily threw a wink at him once she caught him staring at her legs. 


“So Mark –”


“You know, it’s a shame you ran off, I really think the boss would have warmed up to the idea of you having the power to run some of his show. You have some knowledge on how Red Angelo’s run, I’m surprised Soyeon.” Mark gently patted Soyeon’s shoulder, her cat-like eyes narrowing at him but she allowed him to touch her. Mark’s feet pulling him up after his words rang, however just as he was about to step away her words made him freeze. For a minute she sounded hurt, bitter even. 


“Well Jungkook’s affairs have their perks, gossip talks, there wasn’t much for me to do at that penthouse apart from listening.”  


Mark wanted to laugh, to laugh at how sad she sounded about the whole situation. She knew what she was signing up for, their world was filled with cheating, killing, and blood. That was how anyone gained power, and power meant everything. So it was stupid for her to think that Jungkook could treat her different, yet Mark felt slightly sorry for her. For that innocent girl who he met that night, who was sobbing in the corner after Jungkook left her, her eyes reflecting the dead body of someone who she was shaking hands with. Jungkook barked a harsh order at anyone who listened to deal with her, to take her back to him once she was quiet. Mark watched Soyeon’s tears decorate her cheeks as she stumbled after Jungkook, begging for him to take her back, but he left. Throwing a dangerous remark for her to stay away from him before he lost it. 


Mark could still see that image of sobbing Soyeon to that day. Her eyes searching for anyone, for someone to take her back but they all left. Mark shamefully following. There were orders but everyone knew that whatever they decided do Jungkook would punish them, so they left her. To Mark's despair, he thought that maybe they left that part of her there forever. 


 “What do you want me to do Soyeon? I can’t do anything to help you. I’m not stupid.”


“We don’t need your help, we just need a place to crash at for the night, and a possible slip of your tongue about who was trailing us?” Mark turned his head towards Soyeon, surprise clearly evident on his face. 


“I have no idea who was following you – ” However his words got silenced by her interruption. Her face showed that she didn’t believe him. 


“Zelo is dead, you might be next.”


Her words made Mark feel slightly light-headed. His feet pulling him down as he quickly sat down onto the sofa. Baekhyun quickly sliding up, allowing Mark more room. Zelo was dead? He could barely believe his own ears, Soyeon’s words turning and turning in his mind as he stared at his now shaking hands. Zelo was supposed to be protected under the Red Angelo’s family. He was supposed to be protected by J-Hope yet he was killed? Mark felt his word beginning to spin, his breathing increasing. That was impossible.

 
“Face it, nobody is safe under the Red Angelo. Jungkook won’t protect you when it comes down to it.” Soyeon’s words only made panic begin to rush in his veins, his gaze darting onto Baekhyun who was silently glancing away from both of them. 


“So what? You’re saying that you are going to protect me?” Mark wanted to laugh, he needed to laugh so he did. His own laughter sounding like a screeching panicked mess and he was forced to cringe away. No, no, no. Soyeon was playing a mind game, he needed to get himself together before he would lose it completely. 


“Zelo is dead you said? That kid most likely bit more then he could chew, it’s not my problem. Why should it put me in danger?” 


“Because you seem to be trying to bite more than you can chew.”


In a grip of silent panic, Mark felt his eyes widen, his heart pounding against his chest as his brain was firing conflicting impulses. She knew she knew, how did she know? His brain felt as if it was turning into a mental soup, what he was supposed to do he wasn’t so sure, so he idiotically asked; “What?” He should have picked on her smile, he should have realised that Soyeon’s eyes were glittering with light as she watched him go through wild motions of emotions, yet he didn’t, not until she was changing the subject with a simple snap of her fingers. 


“I’m going to take a shower, I trust you will let Baekhyun borrow some clothes from you?” Mark scoffed at her, his eyes watching in disbelieve as Soyeon true to her words made a beeline for his bathroom. Baekhyun quickly covering his mouth with his palm as he was chuckling. 


“She’s out of her mind, does she realise that I would be betraying Red Angelo if I allowed you all to stay here?” 


“I don’t think she cares Mark.” And Mark thought that he believed Baekhyun’s words. Soyeon truly didn’t care. So he closed his eyes and pretended that he didn’t see them. That RM’s orders didn’t ring in his ears every damn second it had the chance to do so. Just for that night, he allowed himself to stay, to stay for that girl that was left on her own. 


“Be gone by the morning. I don’t want to be dragged into this mess.”