Two Spades

Baccarat

Warning; contains few swear words, few ual implications, and slight violence. 


Soyeon found herself in an unfamiliar situation. She felt as if she was stepping inside some dangerous game which she should have not have started. Soyeon felt her heart clench in some inexperienced feeling, she was left in a situation that wasn’t ideal for her. She knew that everyone knew that and it only made Soyeon angry. She thought that she had the final word, that she was the one who left Jungkook, left the great Red Angelo’s God, yet the more her mind wondered, the reality was slowly beginning to creep up. She really wasn’t the winner in that argument, if anything she was the biggest loser, not only did she lose her ‘protection’ against the creeping reapers, she lost her winning ticket to becoming an empress. 

Before Soyeon could stop, she felt tears beginning to swell in her eyes, her temple resting against the glass window, her teary eyes picking up on a pathetic image of herself through the reflection, She hated it, she hated being always so powerless in comparison to her fiancé, or well supposedly ex-fiancé.

 
She wanted his attention, his real attention yet she got a death wish instead. 

“I don’t want to be that person, but I’m going to be, you know that you’re a walking dead corpse right?” Baekhyun’s words echoed in the car, Soyeon deciding to ignore her hysterical friend who was a second away from most likely jumping out of the moving vehicle by the way he was twitching. Soyeon eyes trailing onto the reflection which showed her just how distressed Baekhyun was, his head rocking in his palms as he was mumbling something incoherently. Soyeon felt slight guilt beginning to envelop her, she always dragged innocent people into her mess. She thought that she was a lot more valued yet the reality hit her like a cold slap.

She was easily replaceable, Jungkook had thousands of girls lining up, trying to replace her. They were a lot more willing too. Soyeon thought.


Soyeon quickly placed the pad of her fingers against her cheek, whipping away any of the shameful tears that have managed to mark her. Whatever her heart was feeling, whatever those deep mysterious feelings were, they got pushed away for the sake of her two friends. They were the priority now, Wendy and Baekhyun had no protection, she was their protection yet she foolishly played with a wrong hand in that miserable card game. Soyeon felt her tongue brushing against her dry lips as she turned her head towards Baekhyun, low words sounding from her lips. “Baek, they aren’t going to hurt you.” She wanted him to believe that. She wanted him to believe that she is going to protect him. Yet even her own words sounded like a big fat lie.


Soyeon watched Baekhyun go through a spiral of emotions, he was staring at Soyeon, his eyes searching, looking for some reassurance but then something went by, and Baekhyun’s eyebrows began to frown, his usual soft facial features turning darker. 


Shut up, I can’t deal with any of your lies anymore. I don’t know why I stayed behind, why I even looked after your spoiled . I should have run when I had the chance. I knew I should have done that!”


To say that those words that left Baekhyun’s mouth did not hurt Soyeon would be a lie. She felt as if her heart got stabbed again for the second time that evening, yet she could understand why those harsh words sounded. She chuckled in her own little world, she was always so selfish without realizing it until it’s too late. She would probably hate herself too if she experienced what her 'right-hand man' did. They might have all acted strong and powerful, with that little power that their families gave them, yet that very moment they were going up against the big dogs, with lack of experience and equipment. Soyeon should have really been on her way back to Jungkook, on her hands and knees beginning for forgiveness, which he wouldn’t give, because he was Jeon Jungkook and everyone knew that when the Red Angelo’s God gets disrespected, there is no forgiveness no matter who you are. 


Yet Soyeon’s ego would not allow her to do that. She knew power mattered in their world yet she rather be free than be locked up in Jungkook’s penthouse again. She knew that he wanted a good innocent wife, who would stay silent and allow him to do everything and anything that he wanted, she would have been his trophy wife, a porcelain doll that he would proudly show off when needed. But she was much more. She wanted respect, she wanted his real love and not just his fake love. She wanted power, she wanted to have her say in his family, yet in his eyes, she was incapable. 


“Baekhyun, stop, let’s not have any argument tonight. I think we all are very tired.” Wendy being the usual only sensible person around quickly interrupted, her eyes quickly flashing on both of her friends through the rear mirror. Wendy knew that the longer this conversation will continue to go down, the more of a danger it’s going to be. However Baekhyun shrugged it off, his eyes angrily flashing at Wendy before he was throwing his arms in the air, screeching at Soyeon. 


“And where are we going to go now? Why don’t you ask your pathetic father to come and bust our like he usually would?” Soyeon felt as if her guts where punched with the mention of her father. Baekhyun knew how much it hurt her, how much she hated her father yet here he was, throwing everything he had just to prove a stupid point. Soyeon felt her sharp nails dug into her skin, drawing few drops of blood from all the tightness. She needed to calm down, she needed to calm down her racing heart and that damn buzzing in her ears yet she was slowly losing her sanity.


“Oh that’s right, he would kill you if he knew that you ruined his chances of being someone above a stupid lapdog status that he is, he served the Red Angelo’s his whole pathetic life and he finally won a golden ticket, yet you dropping Jeon Jungkook –”


“Baekhyun, please – ”


“Isn’t your life just so damn fantastic princess?” Baekhyun was stepping on a fine line, yet he seemed to have ignored it all. Thrown all caution to the wind just to try and hurt Soyeon. Soyeon’s teeth sacked into her bottom lip as she was trying to control her elevated breathing, her dark irises glaring at her right-hand man who seemed to completely snub everything, continuing on his little tantrum. 


Soyeon had several options, and to her surprise, by a miracle, she managed to hiss out a dangerous “Shut up.”


“Oh no sweetie, I think someone needs to throw you off your high horse and make you face the reality, the reality of us being dead within the next 24 hours! We might as well stop this damn car and just allow the reality to catch up.” 


By that moment Baekhyun was screaming, his palms almost smacking Soyeon across her face when he was waving his hands, trying to get his point across by raising his voice. Trying to make himself bigger, more important than Soyeon. Baekhyun was completely deaf, his unforgiving words going completely over his head. Maybe if he was calm, maybe if he wasn’t so damn scared and panicked he would have realized that he was hurting Soyeon, that he was making her agitated. And just like that, right as Baekhyun began to spit another round of nonsense his lips ended up parted, a breathless gasp exhaling when Soyeon had her hand surrounding his neck, her right-hand fingers gripping onto her gun as she pushed Baekhyun against his door. 


Alarm bells going off in Wendy’s mind, screeching when the situation sank in. Innocent, scared Soyeon was gone, Baekhyun’s words switching on the negative feelings that she tried to bury every single day. They knew they both knew how much she hated her father yet Baekhyun dared to hurt her and Soyeon hated it. She hated being so affected by a simple mention of her father, that someone that she thought was her best friend dared to mention her father when he damn well knew how much it hurt her. Soyeon shoved her gun against Baekhyun’s throat, watching in almost pure satisfaction the way Baekhyun’s throat swallowed, and pure panic flashing across his face. Her lips twisting into a sadistic grin as she watched him cower. Yes, sometimes people needed to be put in their place when they step out of line. 


Wow, I guess I never knew just how stupid you are Byun Baekhyun, with the way you are getting your pretty thongs twisted I would say you have about three seconds before I will send you a pretty present named my bullet.”


“Soyeon!” 


Soyeon ears became deaf as she felt her index finger press against the trigger, her eyes joyfully twinkling as she watches Baekhyun’s head blown open from the bullet. Blood getting splashed across the interior of the car, showering her with the pretty red colour. Soyeon thought it was amazing, she loved the colour red, she loved when Jungkook spoiled her and brought her pretty little red things, she loved it all.


She felt laughter begin to bubble up in her stomach, her mind twisting and turning. There wasn’t a moment to stop and think it all through, to comprehend just how sick her own thoughts where. Only once Wendy slams against the breaks, forcing Soyeon to get thrown against the passenger’s seat with so much force that all the air gets knocked out of her lungs, forcing her to cough. Her ears ringing as dark spots danced across her vision. Only then Soyeon realized that her sick mind managed to conjure an image of dead Baekhyun, just to pleasure her sadistic mind.


Soyeon felt small shivers ran down her spine, Goosebumps forming on her skin as she quickly found herself burying her head against her palms, shaking in pure terror when it all began to sink in. She felt tears clawing at her, her head shaking as she was mumbling to herself to stop it all. 


“What the are you two doing? Stop, please stop!” Wendy’s voice wailed, it sounded so distant for a while, until it became unbearable for Soyeon and she was forced to press her palms against her ears, covering them. She hated everything, hate hate hate… everyone, she wanted to go back home. She wanted to pretend that she was blind and just go back to Jungkook, he knew what to do when things would get out of hand, he knew what to do when Soyeon felt like that. He would praise her and she would feel on top of the world. She wanted to hear a praise, she wanted -  


“Baek, Oh My God, are you alright?” Wendy’s distress voice caused Soyeon to slightly jump, her blurry eyes staring at Wendy who was panicked, her chest raising dramatically as she was quickly throwing the front door open, running over to Baekhyun’s side before she was pulling shivering Baekhyun into a warm embrace, once the back door was pushed open. Wendy’s dark eyes staring at Soyeon emotionally. 


It was as if something had snapped and all of a sudden Soyeon was back, her eyes darting across the scene, fear of not recognising what was going on was slowly consuming her until Soyeon was sobbing like a heartbroken girl. 


“Did you just try to kill Baekhyun? Jesus Soyeon your pretty little head become messed up ever since you got dragged down to the snake pit!” Soyeon felt terrified, she felt nausea beginning to claw at , her mind quickly trying to force down the approaching bile as she was staring at her two best friends, her irises finally picking up on the fact that the window had a bullet hole, right above where Baekhyun’s head was rested against moments ago. Soyeon held her breath in as she hopelessly searched Baekhyun, his head completely intact as he was shivering in Wendy’s arms. Her gun falling onto the seat.

 
She felt disgusted, completely broken. Voices screaming in her head different things, her shaky feet managing to drag her out of the car before it was too late. Chucks of acid fluids getting spewed out onto the road. Soyeon’s stomach contracting violently, forcing everything to go up and out. Soyeon found herself shaking, her face turning pale white was she was stumbling back once the vomiting stopped. 


She just tried to silence Baekhyun. She wanted him to be quiet, to stop throwing those harsh words. She didn’t want to hurt him, she didn’t – she thought she didn’t, yet she somehow ended up almost killing him over something so trivial. Soyeon felt terrible, she was worse than the person that she wanted to have freedom from.  


“Baek I’m so sorry – ” Yet before Soyeon could say anything else Wendy was silencing her.


“Soyeon enough, we all had enough for tonight. Let’s go and look for a motel.”



How was it that Soyeon ended up in such horror? Just hours ago she still had money, a casino, two best friends and supposedly loyal family of Red Angelo on her side, yet here she was standing in a motel room where Wendy was hushing Baekhyun who was banging onto the crappy old television trying to get it to work. His lips sounding colourful swear words about the misfortune that he was experiencing, his eyes lighting up when suddenly the television begins to work, moments later the only channel that he managed to find was breaking up, some strange a playing on a maximum volume. 


“Trust this ty motel to only play straight o. I barely paid anything for this room and yet I want my money back.” Baekhyun annoying mumbled, placing his palm over his hand in the pure offense when the screen goes static again, his fist quickly slamming against the television. 


“Damn, I didn’t say I wanted it to stop, at least play something you stupid thing!”


“Baek shut up, my god turn this crap down! The old couple down the hall already thought we are shifty. We don’t need them to call the cops on us or worse cops that actually work for Red Angelo.” Wendy stated, her fingers reluctantly tugging onto the blanket, a thankful pray rolling off her tongue when the bed appears decently clean. 


“Oh come on, what am I supposed to do if Soyeon over here stands out like a sore thumb with her finger breaking rock. I bet they thought she stole it.” Baekhyun was waving his extended arms, slightly stopping to point at Soyeon who was pushing two armchairs together, making a single bed, at least trying to make some sort of sleeping space. 


“You should have sold it at the pawn shop we drove past, at least then we could afford an actual hotel away from this damn country!” Soyeon glanced up at Baekhyun who was finally appearing more human, rather than a dead corpse. His face finally gaining some of the warm peachy blush that he usually had. 


Wendy threw the blanket that she was holding at Baekhyun who quickly retaliated with a broken remote. 


“So who is taking the bed? Or are we playing a game for it?” 


The room suddenly turned awkward, Baekhyun’s eyes darting between Wendy and Soyeon before he not so secretly was frowning. There were no words exchanged for a while but it was clear that the situation which happened a few hours ago was still fresh on everyone’s mind. Soyeon thought that she didn’t blame them all for acting that way, after all, she did almost kill her best friend.


“You and Baekhyun can share the bed, I’m fine with my little space.”


Baekhyun’s eyes didn’t dare to turn to Soyeon after her words sounded. Their ‘little accident’, which was what Wendy decided to call it after Soyeon and Baekhyun finally calmed down and managed to civilly pay for the motel room, was still the big burden, to say the least, both Soyeon and Baekhyun were still trying to avoid each other as much as they could.
There was a massive elephant in the room, they all knew it yet they decided to ignore it for that night. There were other things to do, to plan, anything just to avoid talking about Soyeon’s sadistic break down that was only causing Wendy to think of Jeon Jungkook. 


“Thanks, Soy, I really need a good night sleep to forget about what a ty day it was.” Wendy sensing the atmosphere quickly mumbled, passing a pillow to Soyeon who gladly took it. 


“Oh come on! Even I can act better than that! What is she doing?” Baekhyun screeched in his girly tone, his face staring at the television in pure horror at the poor quality images.

Soyeon felt a chuckle escape her lips as she watched Baekhyun make himself comfortable onto the floor, his face almost touching the screen as he was squinting his eyes, his mouth slightly open in disgust when the actress of the screen threw the fakest moan in the whole human history. 


Soyeon watched Wendy kick her shoes off, her back resting against bed frame, her arms reshuffling pillows before she was screaming at Baekhyun; “Baek turn that off! That’s disgusting, have some shame watching this when we’re in the room!” 


“What? It’s not as if anyone in this stupid room is a , we all know how it’s done and it’s certainly not like this! HEY! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?”


Soyeon quickly stepped outside the room, her fingers quietly shutting the door to the arguing two people who seemed to be completely oblivious to her disappearance. Baekhyun throwing a pillow at Wendy whilst screaming that the television wasn’t showing anything after she threw the remove that he threw at her moments prior. Rest history as Soyeon needed some space. 


She needed some breathing room away from it all. She felt her back resting against the cold front door once she slipped down, her arms hugging her legs tightly to her chest, her chin resting against her knees as she was staring out of the hallway. It felt dangerous. The motel was a mess, weed growing through the cracks of concrete walls. Her head quickly snapped towards the direction of a bang, few doors down arguing couple going silent only to hear another couple right next to them carrying on what their neighbors stopped.


 Soyeon didn’t need any luxuries, she just needed comfort and sitting outside the external hallway, on the second floor was making her feel uneasy. It could be so easy for Red Angelo mob to find them, to get to them. The view of the ground only aiding her theory correct when she spots two mysterious individuals openly participating in a drug deal. Their voices suddenly raising when another shadow unexpectedly appears uninvited. The hooded figure pulling a handgun before a loud gunshot was echoing in the middle of the night, Soyeon’s eyes witnessing a cold-hearted murder as two individuals run away, leaving a body in the person’s own blood. 


Only once the moonlight appears from the shadows does Soyeon get to see the corpses face, causing her to stand on her feet, her fingers quickly gripping onto the doorknob as she was almost pulling the door off its hinges in a hurry, her panicked face staring at Wendy and Baekhyun who were getting ready for bed, Wendy smugly getting the cleaner side of the mattress after she successfully managed to win their argument. 


Soyeon knew that person. She knew that he was one of J-Hope’s little dogs, and he just got mugged and shot by two of his customers. Red Angelo crew never took betrayal lightly, and the two hooded figures just stole a large stash of drugs. They basically embarrassed J-Hope, and in turn, embarrassed the ‘God’.


“We need to leave, go now. One of the J-hope’s man just got shot over drugs. I think he was named Zelo?” Soyeon’s words seemed to have brought her all the attention, Wendy turning completely pale as she was hurriedly looking for her shoes.


“Are you serious? Zelo was one of his best, he is going to freak the hell out.” Wendy swiftly hissed, throwing Baekhyun’s jacket over to him, who was shoving his wallet and mobile phone in his jeans pockets, with five long steps he was already standing with Soyeon, waving Wendy over.


“, it’s going to be a bloodbath over here once they find out, why was Zelo even here? It isn’t his territory, shouldn’t someone else be dealing here? I think I remember J-Hope telling me about them having their little territories.” Soyeon felt her heart beginning to pound against her rib cage, adrenaline surging to her veins against her best wishes as she was stepping down the stairs two at the time, almost tripping over the last one, however, Beakhyun quickly gripped onto her arm, steadying her. Their differences were put aside for the time being as their instincts of survival kicked in.


“Ladies can we talk about this once we are in our car, driving far away because I don’t want to freaking die!”


“Relax, they won’t be getting here until once they realize that Zelo is dead.” Wendy waved Baekhyun’s anxiety-filled voice, her car keys unlocking the parked car before Soyeon was calling the shotgun, Baekhyun throwing a swift glare at her but deciding against it when Soyeon slams the passages door shut, barely missing his foot. 


“Oh, well that totally makes me feel so much better Wendy!”


“You two are obviously clueless, see I heard some stuff when I used to hang out with you know, few of them – ” Soyeon felt a snort sounding from , Baekhyun sliding inside the backseat in a hurry, his eyes darting onto Soyeon in slight disgust.


“I had friends you know, it wasn’t always about – ”


“I don’t care Baekhyun, just shut the damn door and let’s go.”


Baekhyun slouched against the seat once he slammed the door, Wendy pulling out of the parking lot in a hurry, her eyes fixating onto the rear mirror when a pair of headlights shined.


“Zelo was a quite close friend of J-Hope's, nothing ual of course Soyeon.” 


“I think you might be right because we have some company.” Soyeon felt some sweat begin to form on her forehead, her eyes glancing behind to see a black truck trailing them. Wendy pressed against the gas pedal, the car quickly accelerating. 


Soyeon felt her fingers becoming numb from gripping the car seat so damn tight. Wendy quickly turning a corner, nearly tripping the car in the process. A curse quickly falling when the 'visitors' continue to trail the car. “Can you see who they are?” 


Baekhyun whipped his head back, glancing around but quickly scoffing in dissatisfaction. “Nope, their windows are tinted, but I’m guessing someone from J-hope’s side crew.”


“Oh and great, I told you we should have gone to a hotel, no shady deals ever happens there!”


Soyeon rolled her eyes at her over dramatizing friend who was already beginning to have one of his usual panics, it was a mystery how he was able to be involved with underground business when he always acted like a scared cat. “As if! Get your head down, damn they have guns out.”


“Soyeon get your ring out, maybe they’ll get blinded or maybe back off if they figure out that you are engaged with their God.”


“Shut the hell up, as if our faces aren’t plastered all over the walls for the betrayal, all in their warehouses or some other places gang members hang out at.” 


“I’m just saying such custom made ring with such a high price tag surely should be something special – ” Baekhyun’s speech got cut short after Wendy slammed against her breaks, throwing both Soyeon and Baekhyun slightly forward, the car behind almost losing grip of the road after the sudden sharp break. Wendy quickly taking a right turn, mumbling something about ‘Heaven Express’.


“Why aren’t they shooting at us? How dumb are they?”


“Baek shut the hell up, and listen to the nonsense you are saying. Why would you want them to be shooting at us?”


“I’m just saying they probably know that it’s you in the car, that ring is worth – ”


“Can both of you shut up? I can’t see them anymore.” True to Wendy’s words the car was no longer trailing them. Soyeon turning the window down, in order to stick her head out, searching for a truck in the darkness, yet only coming up empty. It was as if it suddenly evaporated, Soyeon doubting that it was Wendy who managed to lose them, no they had orders given and that only made her feel uneasy. 


Was it J-Hope or someone higher, and why? Why? It was a perfect opportunity to get rid of the people who betrayed their God, to put the blame on them, yet they lived. She lived.

Something was not right.