Hyewon’s Harmless Envy

I’m Thankful That You’re Here With Me

 

“Cozy?”

 

“Yeah,” Sakura felt giddy on the inside. It’s only been a few hours but the few hours with Chaeyeon have been so fun. She didn’t have this kind of feeling with any of her friends in Japan. Chaeyeon was dragging Sakura to their next destination, the cosmetic store. 

 

As soon as you entered the store there were lights everywhere. It was way too bright for no reason, but she realized it was to make your face look whiter. The workers were pretty and one in particular made her turn her head. 

 

The worker looked in her direction, but she turned her own head before she could catch her staring. 

 

‘I think I stare too much.’

 

“Here we’ll get you bb cream. Most people wear bb cream in Korea.” Chaeyeon brought up two containers which she thought suited Sakura’s skin. She reached for her hand but Sakura pulled away quick and blushed. 

 

“W-wha?” She gawked. Chaeyeon began to think that Sakura was airheaded but she gave her the benefit of the doubt.

 

“I said let’s get bb cream for you. I was just gonna swatch these on your hand to see what color matched you more.” Without further explanation for Sakura’s very slow brain to catch up, she grabbed her hand and swatched them on her hand.

 

Sakura noticed her pretty pale hands on her decent and boring hands. She suddenly felt conscious of her cold hands and her nails. The creams were both lighter than her skin tone but the first was darker and closer to her own skin. 

 

“Let’s get this one.” Chaeyeon looked up at her and smiled with her whole face. The duo went to different isles and got different products. Eyeshadow, a new eyeliner, highlighter, a brown eyebrow pencil, and lastly a light pink lipstick. Good thing the bb cream was the only makeup product she tested on her. If she tested the lipstick on her she’d have a heart attack. 

 

Turns out the pretty girl she was staring at was their cashier. Also, also it seemed like  Chaeyeon knew everyone in this mall. “Hyewon! Did you finish your essay for Ms. Kang? Or were you thinking of Nanami!”

 

“It’s Minami. And yeah I did finish it, but half-assed most of it. She’s moving back to Japan in a month, so we’ve been trying to spend as much time with each other as we can.” Hyewon sadly looked down but smiled soon after so no one would notice. 

 

“You went to highschool with her right? It must be hard having to part with her.”

 

“Yeah, but we promised to stay in touch.”

Hyewon ended the conversation short just in time to finish scanning the items.

 

“Do you have a member’s card-“

 

“Yah,”

 

“Just kidding, would you like a bag?”

 

“Haha yeah,” Hyewon put their items in a plastic bag. 

 

“That’ll be $30.78.”

 

Chaeyeon took out her wallet to pay, however Sakura being a grown woman wanted to pay. 

 

“I’ll pay for it Chaeyeon.”

 

“But-“

 

Sakura gave Hyewon $35 before Chaeyeon could try and be nice. She turned to Chaeyeon and smiled, and how could she hate her smile.

 

‘Wow,’ Hyewon said to herself. ‘Ah I’m jealous. They look so cute together. If only I could be like that with Minami.’

 

************