First Meeting

I’m Thankful That You’re Here With Me

The first thing Sakura noticed about Korea was how cold is was. Her hands were cold as soon as she hopped off the plane. Luckily she was prepared having brought fluffy gloves in her pocket. They were brown matching her skirt, which she regret wearing because of the temperature outside. However she was wearing leggings which helped. The next step was to find her dorm with which she would be staying in for the rest of university. The brunette was going to meet her roommate. She wonders who it could be.

 

Once Sakura had found her way onto the campus, she started looking for the dorms. However, after about 10 minutes she figured that the best plan of action was to get directions from the locals. She approached two girls, who seemed to be students, and tried her best to speak their native language.

 

“Eh,, jamsimanyo.”

 

The two girls looked up. One seemed scared and the other very friendly. 

 

“Do you need help with anything?” said the one with the ponytail, and with a surprisingly deep voice.

 

“Etto-,, directions.. to dorms juseyo.”

 

“Ah ne, from here see the building to the right? The dorms are right behind that building.”

 

“Arigato!- Kabsabnida!” She bowed to them before making her way to the dorms. Also she didn’t understand most of what she was saying but thank god for her gestures.

 

***

 

Sakura encountered her next problem. Finding her room number. She never knew she’d hate a number with so much passion before. 212. 212. The short haired girl was on the verge of running at this point. Becoming impatient she sat down next to the door 196. Just then a student opened the door and revealed a short but cute girl. 

 

“Ittekimasu.” says the black haired girl. “Itterasshai!” comes a voice that be heard from inside the room.

 

Sakura saw this as her chance. She wasn’t one to assume but the girl seemed to be Japanese.

 

“Konnichiwa! Nihonjin deska? ( Are you Japanese? )” 

 

The girl in front of her seemed shocked but responded,

 

“Hai. Need help with anything?” 

 

“Onegai. I’m trying to find room 212.”

 

“It’s just down the hall. Don’t worry I was lost last month too.”

 

“Thank you so much! And glad I’m not the only one.”

 

“No problem. Gambare!” The short girl exclaimed, but only as she started walking away. Seemingly in a hurry.

 

“Ha ha.” Sakura is a very awkward person.

 

***

 

A big door was in front of her. With a silver plate in the middle with her room number. 

 

Finally. How was it this hard to find my room? I hope my roommate understands Japanese.

 

As the many thoughts swarmed her brain, she knocks on the door. The door opens slowly and she sees a Korean girl who looks about ready to go to class. An oversized black beanie on her head, a knitted vanilla sweater, and tight black jeans is her outfit of choice.

 

“Hi. Miyawaki Sakura?”

 

“Hai.” She keeps it short wanting to reveal their language barrier after.

 

As she walks inside it shouts minimalistic and no flavor but decides it’s better than a messy room with stains everywhere. The whole room including the kitchen was so white that it was almost blinding.

 

“This will be your room. My room is the one all the way at the end. The room between us is the bathroom.”

 

“Lee Chaeyeon right?”

 

“Oh. Yeah that’s me, sorry I forgot to introduce myself.”

 

“I can’t speak very much Korean. Sorry. I speak only Japanese.” The chestnut haired girl says the lines that she’s been prepared to say.

 

“Honto? Daijoubu desu. I can speak Japanese! I studied it in high school.”

 

Suddenly it’s as if an angel had been bestowed upon her. All her worries, well most, have been lifted.

 

“Honto? That’s such a relief. I’ve been worried.”

 

“No, thank you! I finally get to use my Japanese for my day to day life. Hahaha,” 

 

Sakura notices the way her nose scrunches up while she laughs. It’s cute and she can’t help but unconsciously smile. She’s already glad to have her as her roommate.

 

************