Chapter V

I'm your guardian

There are 10 missed calls and 5 messages from Ken as Sanghyuk glances at his phone. Well, he’s been ignoring his hyung since this morning. He hates it when Ken always stops him to looking for Hongbin. Ken never believes him if Hongbin is still alive out there. He just can feel it. So he sneaked out and stole the paper he got from Ken.

‘I’m sorry hyung’

He never ignores his hyung like this. But he does this for Hongbin, for the one he loves the most. He believes, the Hongbin he bumped on the other night, is the Lee Hongbin he knew.

So, here he is, standing in front of a closed door. He checks back the paper on his hand to make sure he’s on the right place. He takes a deep breath first before he punches the bell button.

“please, please, please” he mutters on his breath.

The door opens before him and someone’s head poke out a little. The latter doesn’t say a word so Sanghyuk take the lead.

“Uhm, sorry to disturb you, but is this Jung Taekwoon’s house?”

Slowly, Hongbin opens the door wider, revealing himself. “yes”

Sanghyuk’s jaw drops as soon as he sees Hongbin, how he missed Hongbin so much. He feels the tears start to threaten to fall out, he really want to hug Hongbin right there, right then.

“What can I help you?” Asks Hongbin as he’s breaking the silence.

Sanghyuk shifts on his feet, “I actually… want to apologize to you about the other night” he gives Hongbin a flower that he had bought earlier.

Hongbin is eyeing the flower first before he takes it. 

Sanghyuk watches as Hongbin sniffs the flower and hums quietly. He bought Hongbin’s favorite. He notices Hongbin’s small smile too.

“Uh actually, I want to ask you something too”

Hongbin tilts his head in confusion, “yes?”

“My company wants to hire a model for this month magazine, and I think, you would want to try?”

Hongbin thinks for a moment, “why me?”

Sanghyuk’s eyes widen, ‘am I too obvious?’

“Uh, do you remember Ken hyung right? He told me that you’ll fit the theme, umm, just why don’t you give it a try?”

Hongbin bite his lips as he thinks again.

“Don’t worry. They’ll pay you good too, and they’ll be nice to you”

“I will talk about this with my boyfriend first”

Hyuk feels something stabs his heart as he hears that, he barely nods and quickly pulls out his wallet to give Hongbin his company’s card name.

“here, if you’re interested just come by tomorrow at 9 am”

Hongbin takes and nods, “thanks, I’ll let you know soon”

“alright, I think, I have to go now. But I’m looking forward for you want to join us” he smiles at Hongbin and then gone.

 

 

Hongbin closes the door, he puts the flowers into the vase. He’s checking out the card again. He furrows his eyebrows, why he’s familiar with the company name?

‘No, probably i’ve heard it somewhere from tv’

A few hours later, Hongbin jumps when he heard the door is being opened.

“Oh? You’re early” Hongbin says and smiles at Taekwoon who still struggles with his jacket.

“yeah, I brought your favorite hot chocolate”

“aww, my sweet boyfriend” Hongbin gladly takes the cup from Leo’s hand.

Taekwoon joins him on the couch, he put Hongbin’s foot on top of his lap. He narrows his eyes at the small card on the table.

“what’s that?” asks Leo

“Oh, it’s.. someone gives me that”

Leo nods, he reaches out to take the card.

“Were you going out?”

“No, he.. he came here”

‘Jellyfish’ Leo furrows his brows, so that means, Sanghyuk came here.

“He asks me if I want to be a model in their company, and I said, I’ll talk to you first. So? Can I? I think that he’s nice, and besides, I’m so bored here, alone, at home, doing nothing”

“No” Leo throws the card on to the table.

“But why? You’ve been locking me up this whole time. why?”

“Do you remember the last time you going out? I remember how scared your face looked. And if I’m not mistaken, you were trembling hard after that.” Leo couldn’t help but almost yell at Hongbin.

Hongbin looks at him in shock, he quickly get up and leave Leo alone.

“Hongbin-ah?” Leo calls out after him, but he only got a loud bang from Hongbin’s bedroom door. He sighs as he runs his hands on his face. He couldn’t lose Hongbin right now, not when he has this strange feeling in his chest.

 

 

 

The next morning, Hongbin decides to still sulking to Taekwoon. He keeps staying on his room since their little argument last night. He ignores Taekwoon when the latter called or knocked their shared bedroom. He found out too that Taekwoon slept on the couch last night too. He waits till Taekwoon is out for work.

He finds a bowl of fruit salad and an ‘I’m sorry’ letter beside it. Hongbin sighs, he sits down and starts to dig his food.

His mind wanders back at the offer yesterday, so as soon as he thought about it, he gets up and almost run to the coffee table.

‘Jellyfish’, Hongbin nods, he will go there, with or without Taekwoon’s consent.

He forgets his breakfast, he quickly takes a bath then changes into a nice outfit.

And when he arrives in front of the big building, he gapes in awe before he closes his mouth again and starts to walk inside.

“Hello Mr, may I help you?” a young woman greets him as he approaches her on the desk.

“Uh, someone said to me if your company wants to hire a model, is that true?”

She smiles nicely and nods, “yes, it’s true. May I know your name, and then I’ll contact my manager”

“Kim Hongbin”

The young woman nods, he calls the manager and tells him everything, “alright Mr Kim, he said he wants to see you now, you may go to the 4th floor, he’ll be waiting there”

Hongbin nods and says thanks to her. He follows her instruction, as soon as he reaches the 4th floor, his heart is beating like crazy. Well, he almost regrets his decision now.

“Oh? You make it!”

Hongbin looks up and meets with the same guy who offered this job to him. He stands in front of Hongbin, blocking out his way. He smiles too widely at Hongbin.

“Y-yes”

“Oh come, I’ll introduce you” the guy grabs Hongbin’s hand and Hongbin feels something familiar with this.

“Hello everyone, our new model is here, he is… Kim Hongbin” says Hyuk gaining everyone’s attention. It takes a minute for them to react.

“A-are you sure-“

“Ahem” Hyuk cuts the director before he says something else. He already told the crew that he found someone who really looks alike with Lee Hongbin. The Lee Hongbin they knew is still a mystery to them. They haven’t found his body yet.  

Hongbin is fidgeting under their curious gazes.

“Alright, let’s we do the work today, shall we uh Hongbin-ssi?” the director claps his hand and smiles warmly at Hongbin.

At first, Hongbin is hard to act naturally in front of the camera, luckily the director seems fine with him. Hyuk also stays there all day, cheering and guiding Hongbin.

It’s until past 3 pm that the director wraps it up.

“Hongbin-ssi, thank you so much for your hard work. I hope we can meet again at the next photoshoot?”

Hongbin smiles excitedly, “yes, I’d love too”

“I’ll contact you soon for our next project, alright?”

Hongbin bows showing his gratitude toward the director.

“Uhh, Hongbin-ssi? Would you like to hang out with me for a while?” asks Sanghyuk as he fidgeting on his hands.

Hongbin smiles, “I’m sorry Sanghyuk-ssi, but I have to go home now, I’m sure my boyfriend is worried of me now, since my phone also dead, I can’t contact him now. Perhaps, another time?”

Hyuk nods, letting his heart sinks.

“I can drive you home too if you don’t mind?”

Hongbin shakes his head politely, “thank you so much, but I can take a bus from here, and it’s not too far though. I’ll see you soon Sanghyuk-ssi”

Hongbin smiles before he leaves Sanghyuk alone.

 

 

 

Hongbin finds Taekwoon already home. He freezes at the door at the sight of his frustrated boyfriend.

“Where have you been?” Leo yells, again.

“I went there.” He walks toward the kitchen to grab water.

“You could have told me!” says Leo and stands behind him.

“Yeah, and you’d never let me out”

“Hongbin” there’s a warning in his voice as he turns Hongbin around to face him.

“Look, I am fine. No one will hurt me. they all nice to me”

“Hongbin-ah, I know, but.. I’m afraid about you, the last time you-“

“Until when Taek-ah? I have to start to socialize now or I’ll always be the coward” Hongbin fights back his tears, he thought about going out or get a job was a good idea.

Leo sighs, he hates to argue with Hongbin, “Alright, but promise me. Never trust anyone. Just inform me where the photo shoot takes place and I’ll be there on my free time.”

Hongbin nods, he finally can stretch a smile, he knows how Taekwoon is so worried about him.

“Oh I almost forgot” Leo suddenly on his knees and pulls something from his jeans pocket.

“Oh you remember!” Hongbin gasps as he sees a beautiful ring

“Kim Hongbin, I know I’m being a romantic guy, so please forgive me” he slides the ring into Hongbin’s finger. He notices that Hongbin already took off his old ring.

‘I’m sorry Sanghyuk, I think, Hongbin is mine now’

Leo smiles up at Hongbin and kisses his hand.