Chapter II

I'm your guardian

Hongbin wakes up with a heavy arm around him. He rubs his eyes and takes a glance to the person beside him. Hongbin chuckles when he sees Taekwoon with all his messy long hair to the front. That making Taekwoon slowly wakes up and finally lifts his arm from Hongbin.

“You should get a haircut” suggests Hongbin all of sudden.

“Huh?” Leo shoves his hair first then turns to him with a confused look.

Hongbin reaches to Leo’s long hair, “this! Don’t you feel uncomfortable?”

Leo thinks about it for a moment, he let Hongbin touch and tidy up his hair.

“I can help you” Hongbin says.

Leo nodded out of reflex. They stay like that for a while.

“What happened to me last night?”

“It’s a long story.” Leo says and then he suddenly gets up.

“I’ll go out for a while. Will you be good?”

“Where are you going? I don’t want to be alone.” Hongbin quickly gets up and tries to reach Leo’s hand.

“No, I won’t be long. Just give me, 1 hour”

“But-“

“Stay here” and Hongbin hears the door slams. He sighed and looks around. This looks like an abandoned place. Hongbin makes his way toward the kitchen. There is nothing he can do here. He supposes this isn’t Taekwoon’s house.

Hongbin sits on the bed while waiting for Taekwoon to come back, he quickly jumps when he hears Taekwoon called his name.

“Yes? I’m still here” Hongbin runs toward Taekwoon and gasps.

“Oh? Y-you cut your hair”

Taekwoon smiles sheepishly as he runs his fingers through his new short hair, “what do you think? They said this style suits me”

Hongbin still gapes at him, Taekwoon looks handsome like this, he thinks.

“Yeah, they’re right”

“Let’s go” Leo grabs Hongbin’s hand and leads him outside.

“Where are we going?”

“To my apartment”

Well, actually. Leo just robbed a bank with his super power. He thought that he already lost all his power but no, he still can use it, especially when urgent moments like this. Well, this is urgent. He can’t take Hongbin back to Sanghyuk or his family because, what if they accused him as kidnapping or something. Sometimes, he doesn’t understand with these people. But the real reason is because, he’s scared if the grim reaper found Hongbin when he isn’t with Hongbin. So he thought, maybe this is the best to start a new life with Hongbin, to be close to Hongbin so that he could keep an eye to Hongbin.

“Wow! So you have a nice car” says Hongbin as he gapes at the black shiny car.

“Get in Hongbin” and Hongbin obeys.

“Where are we going?”

“To our new home”

“Sorry?” Hongbin snaps his head toward Taekwoon.

“I just bought an apartment, not really big as you imagined right now, just.. I’m sure you’ll feel comfortable”

Hongbin nods, he begins to relax as Taekwoon turns on the radio.

After 30 minutes ride, Hongbin runs past him as soon as he said their room number.

“Too excited, are we?”

Hongbin only nods, he jiggles cutely as he waits for Taekwoon to open the door.

“Woah woah… this is… soo….. soo… feels like home” Hongbin runs here and there excitedly, checking out every rooms.  Leo just sit and wait for Hongbin in the living room, he casually turns the TV on and changing the channels as Hongbin jumps beside him.

“Soooooo, where’s my room?”

“The one that has a balcony”

Leo flinches when Hongbin squeals loudly right on his ear, he watches how Hongbin jumps like a kid and then runs toward his new room. He hears a “thank you Taekwoonie” after that. He smiles at the nickname that Hongbin just gave him, the smile quickly fades as he remembered that this isn’t supposed to happen.

He realizes, he already break the rules.

He quickly thinks about leaving Hongbin alone in here, or maybe just makes Sanghyuk find Hongbin. Maybe that’s the good idea.

“Taekwoonie? Do you mind if I sleep with you tonight?”

He turns around to find Hongbin smiling widely and cutely, wait,

‘did I just think he’s cute?’

“Please, please. I’m still not used to sleeping alone” Hongbin pleads with his doe eyes

Leo nods and he cringes when Hongbin squeals again.

 

 

 

 

 

“Hyuk-ah? Please eat, you haven’t eat since yesterday”

“I’m not hungry hyung.”

Ken sighs, he drops the spoon and slowly grabs Hyuk’s hands, “Hey, they’ll find him. okay?”

“Hyung, what if they…. What if he… argh hyung, no one survived from that accident hyung”

“Hyuk-ah, don’t conclude something like that. What if there’s a miracle and they’ll find Hongbin alive!”

Hyuk shakes his head, the tears start threatening to pour out. He walks toward the window to avoid Ken’s pity gaze.

“Hyuk-ah, I’m always here for you”

 

 

 

One evening, both Leo and Hongbin spend their time together in front of the TV, while Leo doesn’t pay any attention to whatever the TV said.

“Taekwoon? Can I ask a question?”

Leo only hums in response

“What was our relationship?” Hongbin turns to look at Taekwoon.

Leo is taken aback by the question, he rubs his nape nervously as he searches the right answer.

“were we… a couple?”

Leo is surprised at how bold Hongbin is.

“I-I mean, you said earlier ‘our new home’, so I thought.. and I couldn’t remember anything, you know”

“YES! Y-Yes, we’re couple”

Hongbin feeling stun and feeling shy, he mutters an “oh” and ducks his head a little to hide his blush.

Leo mentally wants to slap himself for being stupid. He could just tell him the truth, ‘No Hongbin, you were someone else’s fiancé and he’s waiting for you and probably he’s so worried about you. And as for who am I, I was his guardian angel who already broke many rules since I saved you from that accident.’ But no, Leo keeps it to himself, he let Hongbin rests his head on his shoulder, letting the flutter feeling in his chest that he couldn’t tell what is that.  

‘I’ll tell him the truth this week’ he makes a note to himself.

 

 

But Leo remains silent, he let those feeling stay in his chest. He broke the promise he made with himself. He always smiles like crazy whenever Hongbin does something cute, well, he always thinks that Hongbin is cute. He even got a job at the coffee shop near their apartment complex, because Hongbin told him to. It has been 2 months since the last time he used his power and wings. He slowly acts like a human.

“you’re ed up!”

Leo gasps and turns to the voice behind him, there sits Hakyeon with a scowl on his face.

“Will you stop following me? what if they found out that you didn’t do your job well?”

Hakyeon scoffs, he gets up and walks toward him.

“You’re the one that should be scared, they all searching for him”

“Who’s searching who?”

He can senses that Hakyeon rolls his eyes,

“You’re lucky that I’m you best friend. Of course Sanghyuk, and the grim reaper that you fought last time, is looking for Hongbin.”

Leo stiffens hearing that

“Lucky you to have me as your best friend, I already handle that grim reaper to shut his mouth”

Leo gapes at him, “how?”

Hakyeon’s smile slowly going wider and he wiggles his eyebrows, “that’s my specialty, now won’t you thank me for that?”

Leo gives him his best smile, “Thank you Hakyeon-ah”

Hakyeon nods, “I see you’ve changed a lot, your hair, clothes, you’re so… like a human”

Leo sighs, he looks down, yeah, a pair of yellow sneakers, ripped jeans, white t-shirt, and a black apron.

“You should sometimes use your power, otherwise, you’ll forget it completely. And Leo? be careful! I heard they’re about to replace you with someone name Ravi.”

“I know.”

“I think they already know where you are right now, it’s about time Leo”

Leo only nods, then Hakyeon gone with a blink of an eye.

 

 

“Oh? You’re home. I made us dinner” Hongbin says as he finishes putting down the soup into the bowl and put it onto their small dining table.

“You are getting better, hmm” Leo tastes the soup first and hums in bliss.

“It’s because I learnt it from the best” he teases Leo and making the other chokes.

Hongbin quickly rushed to give Taekwoon a cup of water, “Aigoo, you should be carefull”

Taekwoon nods, he can feel the other’s gaze still lingering on him.

“What is it Hongbin?”

Hongbin sighs, he begins pouting and playing with the hem of his sweater, “I was wondering, when will you take me out? Or just, when will you allow me to go out? I know you’re free every weekend, so why not take me somewhere? You’re so unfair, you know”

Taekwoon stops eating, he looks up and grabs Hongbin’s hand, “Hey? Are you mad at me? Is that why you put too much chili in this soup?

Hongbin gasps, “D-did I? Well, Yes! I’m mad at you!” Hongbin pulls back his hand and this time, he huffs with his arms crossed.

Taekwoon chuckles, he finds it cute so he pulls Hongbin onto his lap, “Alright, we’ll go out this Saturday”

Hongbin beams at him, “really? Where?” he really looks like 5 years old and never failed to make Taekwoon smiles.

“Everywhere you want to go, but on one condition”

Hongbin tilts his head

“Don’t ever go too far from me, alright?”