Six

Guess, I Was Born to be Yours

Sowon looked at her watch and was thinking that she could give it to Mr. Kim to pay his debt and get her certificate back.

‘But this is a gift from Yuna...’ she thought. ‘I bet Yuna will understand me. But I guess it’s better for me to meet Sinb in person.’

With the thought of wanting to meet Sinb and the expectation that Sinb would find her on the campus, Sowon waited for a little after class every day. But Sinb was more unpredictable than she thought. It was almost a week and she hadn’t found any trace of her in the university.

Sowon tried to go to the Dean’s office to find any info she can get about Sinb. Maybe if she’s lucky enough she could find her address so she could go to her house. She sat on a sofa in front of the office, looking around and while trying to think of a good reason to come in and asked anything that could help her. When she was sitting quietly, she saw someone with short hair and glasses walking towards the room. She was not sure if it was because of the glasses or was it naturally like that, but that woman had pretty round big eyes that compliment her other facial feature really well.

That woman’s eyes met Sowon’s.

“You want to meet the dean?” she asked.

Sowon was a little bit surprised by the question. She looked round to make sure that the woman was talking to her and took some time before answering.

“Ah, yes.”

“You can meet him first if you want.”

“Ah, no. It’s okay. It’s not something important or urgent.”

That woman was definitely not from the university, Sowon thought. Because it was the first time for Sowon to see her. But strangely she seemed familiar with the university. ‘Could she be the daughter of the Dean?’

The woman suddenly stopped when she was about to enter the room and looked at Sowon again.

“Sowon?” she asked.

“Yes, how do you… ah this… yes, my name is Sowon.” She said, realizing that the woman was looking at the notebook she held in her hand with her name written on it.

The woman studied Sowon up and down quite long which made Sowon felt uncomfortable.

“Is there something wrong with me?” Sowon asked.

“No, but…so you’re the Sowon that my sister has been talking about lately.”

“Excuse me?” Sowon didn’t understand. ‘Her sister? Who is her sister?’

“Anyway, I have to go in. Nice to meet you.”

Eunha went inside the room right away after giving Sowon a smile without giving the chance for her to say anything. Yet the tall girl kept thinking about the sister the woman she didn’t even know the name was talking about before. Is there anyone who likes her? No, that’s most likely not the case, she thought. Because even though she was pretty, she was not that popular in university. There was a little chance for that. And talking doesn’t always mean something good. Her sister could talk bad about her. Then she was thinking about Sinb and what Yuna and Umji said at the café before. She remembered they said that Sinb has a sister. ‘Could it be that she’s Sinb’s sister?’  She thought that it would be a good chance for her to ask about where she can meet Sinb if she was really her sister.

Sowon’s plan changed. She didn’t want to meet the dean anymore but it was a good idea that she came there although she still had to make sure that it was indeed Sinb’s sister. So she waited outside until Eunha came out of the room. It took longer than she thought. She almost fell asleep until she heard the sound of the door opening. She stood straight up and waiting for the right moment to call her. But even before Sowon could say anything, Eunha talked first.

“You can go in now. I’m sorry. It took a long time. You must be tired waiting.” She threw another smile to Sowon before taking a step away.

“No, no, wait…”

Eunha turned around to face Sowon.

“Actually… are you Sinb’s sister?”

“Yes.” Eunha was actually a little bit surprised to see Sowon just casually asking about her sister like that. “I’m Eunha.” She offered a handshake this time.

Sowon reciprocated the handshake. But she found it hard to believe that she finally confirmed the woman in front of her was Sinb’s sister looking at how different they were. ‘Ah right, I forgot that they’re from a decent family.’

“Umm…actually, do you know where I can find Sinb?”

Eunha was even more surprised by Sowon’s question this time.

“Like right now? Hmm… I don’t know. She could be anywhere.” She answered.

“Can I ask for her address?”

“But you probably won’t find…” right before Eunha finished the sentence, her phone rang.

It was from Sinb. She looked at the phone before she looked at Sowon then answered it.

“Speaking of the devil…what is it?” Eunha said.

“Let me take care of the uni.”

“What? All of sudden? What’s with the change of heart?”

“It’s kinda not your business, but trust me, you would thank me later too.”

“What do you mean? If I thank you later then it’s my business too.”

“No, you don’t understand. The main reason is not your business but it’ll benefit you anyway.”

“Don’t talk nonsense…” 

And just when Eunha said that she saw someone walking towards her and Sowon’s direction. Sowon wanted to greet her before she realized that the situation somehow became very awkward. The two people in front of her froze. It was almost like she accidentally pressed the pause button. So, she decided to just observe the situation first.

“What are you doing here?” Eunha broke the silence.

Clearly, it was not directed to Sowon but to the woman who just walked in.

“I work here.” answered Umji.

Eunha just looked at Umji for quite a while before she walked away fast from that place without saying anything, not even to Sowon. She probably forgot that Sowon was there in the first place. She looked very shocked.

‘, I lost the chance to get Sinb’s address.’  Sowon thought.

“Wait, Eunha…” Umji tried to call her but Eunha already disappeared.

 “Do you know each other, Miss?” Sowon asked, trying to be polite because they were still on the campus.

Umji turned her head to face Sowon.

“She was the mistake I talked about before.”

“Wait, do you mean she is your…”

“I can’t explain it here now Sowon. I’ll tell you about it later.”

They parted ways. Sowon understood that they were still on campus, but she began to be really curious. She would like to hear a little of the story when she had a chance.

***

On the other side, a few hours before Sinb called Eunha, she went somewhere. She parked her car in front of a pharmacy and walked a couple of buildings away before she reached the place she wanted to go and opened the door.

“Hello, welcome. Can I help you?” said the woman over the counter.

“Yes, I want a strawberry cheesecake and…I don’t really like coffee. Do you have any recommendations?” Sinb asked.

“We have chocolate and tea here.”

“I’ll go with chocolate then.”

Sinb gave the money and turned her back to find a place to seat but before she stepped even further, she turned her body around again.

“Ah, do you perhaps know the owner of this bakery?” asked Sinb to the woman who served her.

“I’m the owner.”

“Ah, so you are…Miss Yerin.”

“Is there anything I can help you?”

“No, I just want to say that you have a nice place here.” Sinb said while looking around the bakery. “It’s strategic.”

“Do I know you?” Yerin asked.

“Oh, my bad.” Sinb took off her gloves. “Sinb.” She offered her hand to Yerin.

That took Yerin by surprise. She heard about Sinb quite a lot from Sowon and when Yuna was there too, but she never thought that she would meet her. Especially not that she expected Sinb to come to her bakery. Does she come here because of Sowon? Or maybe because of Yuna? Or she has something to do with me personally? Those questions filled Yerin’s head. She didn’t know what Sinb’s intention to come there yet, so she thought that it was better for her to pretend to not really know much about her.

“Nice to meet you, Miss Sinb.”

It was probably the best move for her because Sinb was just looking at her. Observing her.

“It will be great if we can talk. We might be able to discuss some investment because I’m so interested in this place.” Sinb said.

Yerin just told her that she might be able to talk with her after the bakery becomes a little bit emptier. Sinb just nodded and took a seat. Her cake and chocolate drink came soon after. Yerin took a look at her sometimes while serving the customers. There was nothing weird. Sinb just sat there and enjoyed her cake and chocolate while looking at her phone. After an hour passed, she still sat there. Yerin decided to approach her since there were not many customers inside anymore.

“So, how’s the cake?” asked Yerin.

 “Not bad.”

‘Not bad??’

 “Well, thank god. At least you don’t hate it. But I’ll try my best to improve it.”

“No, it’s okay. People will still buy this anyway. Oh, can I come here sometimes? You have a nice view here. I feel like I might be able to see my friend if I come often.”

“Sure, this place is open for anyone during the open hour.”

Sinb said thanks and stood up from her place. She walked towards the door. Her hand was already holding the handle when she stopped and looked at Yerin again.

“Ah, but now that I think about it, your face is somehow familiar.”

Yerin was not going to lie, she also felt like she saw Sinb before somewhere. But no one said anything anymore after that and Sinb left the store.

In her apartment, Sinb found her sister sobbing on the couch.

“I told you not to cry on my couch.”

“You! You know she was there, but didn’t tell me.” Eunha said with a shaky voice.

“It’s not important.” She said. “But what about my offer? You can see the benefit slightly now?”

Eunha didn’t say anything.

“At least for a few months. I don’t need a lot of time.”

“Do whatever you want.” Eunha said.

Despite the feeling of wanting to stay away from the institution because Umji was there, Eunha knew that she wouldn’t be able to say no to her sister. But Eunha was worried because the decision of her taking the university was not hers. It was their father’s. He wouldn’t like it if he found out.

Sinb told her to get into the room and just sleep, but she refused. She said she’d like to just sleep on the couch in front of the TV. Sinb went into her room and took a shower before she came back with a blanket. She gave it to Eunha and sat beside her.

“Why are you so invested in this person named Sowon?” Eunha asked. “She seems nice and it’s not like she’s able to touch you.”

“I hate nice people.”

Eunha sighed.

“Wait, you said she seems nice? Did you meet her?” asked Sinb.

“Ah yeah, I saw her earlier.”

Eunha thought that her sister will say something about that, but she stared at her and went back to her room.

***

Sowon decided to come to Yerin’s bakery before going home. There were not many people when she came but Yerin was still busy arranging something with her employee. Sowon sat down and opened her book. Not long after, Yerin came to sit in front of her bringing some milkshakes with her. She asked about Sowon’s day on campus that day and Sowon just answered that it went just like the other day. Nothing really special. Except for only the fact that she met Sinb’s sister and that she had something with Umji. But Sowon didn’t tell Yerin about that yet. Somehow, she wanted to know about the relationship between Eunha and Umji more first before sharing it with Yerin.

“You wouldn’t believe, who came here today.” Yerin said.

Sowon looked at Yerin.

“Sinb came today.”

“What?” asked Sowon surprised. “What did she say? What did she want?”

“I don’t know. She just ate a cake and talked about this place then left.”

“Did she know that you’re my friend?”

“I’m not sure. She didn’t mention you and I didn’t either.”

It was hard indeed to determine Sinb’s intention knowing that her business was related to lending money and owning buildings. Nevertheless, it made Sowon worried. She didn’t want Yerin to be another target. She told her best friend to not mention her name unless, she mentions it first. At least with that she could avoid to be involved in her problem with Sinb.

‘I really need to meet her tomorrow.’