Two

Guess, I Was Born to be Yours

Sowon woke up quite early that morning. She washed her face and went to the kitchen to prepare her breakfast. She opened the refrigerator and took out an orange juice from there. ‘To have a good day, one must start with a good breakfast.’ While eating the bread Mr.Kim gave her yesterday and drinking her juice, someone pressed the doorbell. Sowon put down her bread and went to the door to see who’s coming.

“Tada!” said Yerin while lifting a bag of food containers and a plastic bag with something in it. “I brought you some food.”

“Wow…thank you so much. You’re indeed the best but…I actually am eating my breakfast.”

“Really? Well, that’s too bad.”

“Come in first.”

They both went to the kitchen. Yerin put everything she brought on the table and sat down.

“What do you have there?” asked Sowon.

“Well, I have rice, kimchi, soup, rolled eggs, some vegetables and other banchan*.” Explained Yerin.

“It must be eaten soon then. Otherwise, it won’t be good.” She paused. She decided to wrap the bread and save it for later. “I’ll just eat it later. Let’s eat yours.”

Yerin opened the food container. And they ate it together. Sowon was surprised that Yerin came so early in the morning. Yerin said that was because she wanted to have a breakfast with her. Sowon asked her about the opening of Yerin’s second bakery store as she took a rolled egg and put it on . Yerin said it went really well. There were a lot of people coming. She congratulated her afterward. Yerin is Sowon best friend since they were very little. They have shared a lot of good and bad memories together and both will be there for each other when it’s needed. But Sowon always envies Yerin about one thing. Her passion in pastry. She already knew what she wanted to do or become since a long time ago. Meanwhile, Sowon was still not very sure about it. Like there’s nothing really excites her yet.

“By the way, what about your girlfriend?” Sowon asked. “She still in Switzerland?”

“Yeah. She still has to be there for a couple more days before she comes back.”

“It’s really nice. It must be beautiful there.”

“Yes. She sent me some picture and it’s extremely pretty. Look.” Said Yerin while showing Yuna’s picture on her phone.

Yuna was the one who helped Yerin making her bakery store happen in first place. She came from a wealthy family. One of the richest in the town. But she and her family are a bunch of humble and good people. They didn’t mind Yuna dating ordinary people. And both Yerin and Yuna have been together for almost 5 years.

“Waahh.. I want to go there too” said Sowon while looking at the beautiful picture of the alps.

“Well, let’s go together soon as we have enough money.”

“Sure.”

“Oh, what about you, you don’t have something to tell me?” asked Yerin.

“Actually, I do.” Sowon said and she started to tell Yerin the story starts from her day in her class and the new professor until Sinb.

Yerin was listening to Sowon’s story very carefully as if she doesn’t want to miss a thing. She was surprised and also pissed when she heard about this girl name Sinb. But she felt familiar with that name. She didn’t know when or where she ever heard or seen the name, but she was pretty sure it was not the first time she heard it.

“Is she some kind of gangster here?” asked Yerin.

“I don’t know.”

“I can’t believe such thing still exists these days.”

“I know right.”

 

***

 

Sinb was getting up from her bed after sleeping for almost 12 hours. She was surprised to see Eunha sitting in her living room playing with her phone. Eunha is Sinb’s sister. She likes to come to Sinb’s place without giving her sister a notice first and even stayed for days there.

“You should stop getting into my apartment without my notice.”

“You didn’t change your password, besides, I’m pretty sure you won’t pick up even if I call you first. Even alarm can’t wake you up.” Defended her.

“Right. I’m gonna take a bath first. Since you’re here, why don’t you prepare the breakfast?” Sinb said.

“It’s almost twelve and you know I can’t cook.”

“Well, we call it Brunch here in case you don’t know and I have some foods in the refrigerator, you just need to heat it up on the microwave. I know you would like something to eat too.”

“Fine.”

Eunha got up from the sofa and went to the kitchen. She opened the refrigerator and as Sinb said, there were some foods there. Eunha took two and put it in the microwave to heat it up. While waiting, she looked through inside the refrigerator again to see if there’s something interesting to drink. But there were only beers and two big bottles of mineral water there. She opened the upper cabinets to see if her sister stored something else and found some instant coffees. Eunha took one at first, but then she took one more for her sister.

After 20 minutes, Sinb joined Eunha in the kitchen and ate their brunch together. Eunha has already eaten some of her food when Sinb sat in front of her. They didn’t talk for a moment and just enjoyed their meal.

“You know, Dad keeps telling me to stop you.” Eunha said.

“So? You know no one can stop me from doing anything I want.” Sinb said. “Besides, I’m not using his money.”

“Yeah but you know the problem is how you get your money, right? And I’m getting really annoyed to be told to stop you every time.”

“You can tell him to stop then. I won’t listen.”

Eunha sigh. “Both of you are the same.” She said. “I hate all of you. Can one of you just stop being so stubborn for once?” she paused. “Or at least stop involving me on your problems.”

“You can avoid the situation if you choose to stay in America.”

“You know I won’t do that even if I could.”

“You’re such a fool for that woman.”

“Shut up. You don’t know what it’s like.”

“Yeah, right. And I don’t think I would. I’m too smart for that thing.”

Eunha rolled her eyes. Her sister really knows nothing about love. That’s why her heart is as cold as ice. ‘Nobody is too smart for love.’ She thought. She hopes that one day her sister will find someone so, she could know how it feels and perhaps changes her. Even though she doesn’t really care about what Sinb is doing for living, but she always hopes that her sister could be a better person. At the end, she is her dearest sister after all.

 “Oh, there’s something interesting yesterday.” Sinb said.

“What?”

“Someone actually came to me and said would report me to the police.” She laughed out loud. “Can you believe that?”

“Well, she must not know who you are.”

“Definitely. But it’s fun. It’s been a while since someone said that thing to me.”

“Do you know who she is?”

“Her name is Sowon. And I found out that she’s a student at Kyunghee.”

Eunha thought that Sinb must've searched about that girl last night. She has a lot of sources to begin with so, it’s very easy for her to find someone. The problem was what she is going to do with that Sowon girl.

“You’re not gonna do something stupid, right?” asked Eunha.

“What is the definition of stupid?”

“Sinb!”

“Relax… I’m gonna be easy with her. You’ll see.”

 

 

*banchan= side dish