Four

Guess, I Was Born to be Yours

Sowon was waiting for Miss Umji near the front gate when she saw Sinb again, still with the same car and left soon as Sowon saw her. Her guilt and curiosity grew bigger every time she saw Sinb. She was dying to know what happened to Mr. Kim, but she still couldn’t find him even when she looked for him in the morning. She was thinking to find out about Sinb instead of Mr. Kim. Maybe that way would give her more information about what was going on but she didn’t know where to start. She was just really hopeless. The only thing she hoped was Sinb to finally stopped spying on her and confront her instead.

“Oh, sorry Sowon. You must’ve been waiting for me quite long.” Said Umji a bit in rush.

“Oh no, it’s okay Miss.” Said Sowon. “Where are we gonna go?”

“Let’s just do it in a café near here. I like the atmosphere there. It’s good for studying. I bet you’ve bored being in the campus all-day long right?”

Sowon agreed so, they went to the café Umji was talking about earlier. It’s really quite fascinating that she already knew a place like this considering she was just moved from California. They were ordering coffee and some snack before starting the tutor session when Sowon tried to break the ice by asking some questions to Umji.

“How do you know this place Miss?”

Umji who was stirring her ice americano with the straw stopped and looked at Sowon.

“Oh, it’s my friend’s place. I came here yesterday, and I really like it.” Umji was looking at the watch Sowon wore. “You have a nice watch there.”

“Ah this…” Sowon looked at her watch. “It’s a gift from my bestfriend’s girlfriend. I wanted to refuse it but they insisted me to take it.”

Umji was surprised to hear Sowon’s answer. “You must be really close with her.”

“Ah yeah. Yerin, my bestfriend is already like a family for me. And she and her girlfriend have been together for 5 years. So, yeah, I really know her girlfriend well. She’s very kind.”

After a short conversation they had, Umji started the tutoring session she supposed to have with Sowon. She didn’t have a trouble doing it cause Sowon can follow her instruction very well. And even it was just additional session, Umji can see that Sowon was serious in doing it. But she saw that her student was somehow uneasy.

“Is there something?” asked Umji.

“Ah, no, Miss.” She paused. “I just feel like I’ve made a big mistake and don’t know how to fix it.”

“You can tell me if you want. Maybe I can give you an advice.”

Sowon was thinking for a moment.

“No, I don’t know where to start. Maybe later, Miss.”

“Okay then. I won’t force you if you aren’t ready to talk about it.”

“By the way Miss, what makes you came here?” Sowon asked. “Isn’t it good living in the US?”

“Depends on how you see it. But for me, I’ve been living in the US almost the whole of my life and I can say that I don’t only have good moments there. I recall I have so many bad memories too.”

Her eyes went somewhere when she finished her sentence. Something definitely bothered her, but Sowon didn’t dare to ask.

“I made a mistake too, you know…and also don’t know how to fix it. So, I came here hoping I got a chance to at least clear things up.”

Umji stopped. This time, her eyes were fixed on her iced americano.

“So…how things go on so far for you?” Sowon gathered all the courage to ask cause she didn’t want to leave the situation awkward, even though she didn’t really know how Miss Umji would think of her question. It could make everything worse, to be honest. But she just took the shot.

“Well, I haven’t got a chance to do anything about it cause it turned out that I have quite a lot to do as a professor this past week. So, maybe later. But I enjoy my stay in Korea so far.” She explained.

“Good to hear it, Miss.”

Sowon was ready to start the lesson again but Umji closed the book and faced her instead.

“I think it’s enough for today. If it’s okay, I’d like to know you better.” Said Umji.

“But is it really okay to finish it early like this, Miss?”

“Please call me Umji since I’ve finished the lesson. I think our age is not that much different. And about the tutor, it’s the first day anyway. So, I’ll take it easy.” Said Umji. “But I was curious. Is this extra task, has something to do with the big mistake you’re talking about?”

“Well, I don’t know if this has to do with that person or not but even so, there’s a bigger thing than this.”

“That person?”

Just when Umji asked Sowon that question. Someone came inside the café. Both Sowon and Umji looked at that person’s direction and waved their hand. Yuna was surprised to see both of them. She stopped for a while before she approached the table. Sowon and Umji who realized the situation looked at each other.

“Oh, you know Yuna?” asked Umji.

“Yes, she’s my bestfriend’s girlfriend. The one I was talking about.”

“She’s also the friend who owns this place that I was talking about.” Said Umji

Yuna took a place in a chair between Sowon and Umji while they were talking.

“Wait, you own this place?” asked Sowon to Yuna.

“I just took over it from the original owner and change some part not long ago.” Explained Yuna. “But, wait… you teach at Kyunghee?” Yuna asked Umji knowing that she was with Sowon, so she must teach at Kyunghee. She was surprised to know that Umji teaches there cause she didn’t tell her before when they met.

“Ummm… yes.” She hesitated.

“But isn’t the girl you were talking about once is…”

Yuna hasn’t been able to finish her sentence when Umji cut her suddenly.

“Well, Sowon, you haven’t answered my question.”

“Huh?” Sowon was puzzled. She was looking at Yuna and then Umji back and forth cause she was not expecting Umji to ask her something when Yuna hasn’t finished her sentence. “Which question, Miss? Uh, I mean Umji?”

“Are you trying to avoid what I’m trying to say?”

“That’s not important now, Yuna.”

“Are you crazy? So, you came here to see her?”

“I’m…I just want to clear things up, okay? I don’t know if I ever wanted to make everything like it was before. I just want to clear the unfinished business that has lingered in my heart. Cause it bothers me a lot.”

“I can’t believe you didn’t tell me this last time.”

Sowon was really don’t know what happened between them and what were they talking about. But she thought it was not her problem, so she restrained herself from asking any further.

“So, Sowon, who’s the person you were talking about?” asked Umji.

Sowon thought because Umji seemed to be Yuna’s good friend and Yerin seemed to have not told Yuna this story, so she decided to tell both of them from the start and how she felt very guilty to Mr. Kim now that she couldn’t even know where he is and what happened to him.

“Could it be that he’s in trouble?” Sowon asked. “I mean, it could be his most valuable assets that he lost.”

“Wait, who did you fight before?” asked Yuna.

“Sinb.”

Yuna and Umji looked at each other.

“What?” Sowon confused. “Do you know her?”

“Let me just pay for your tuition from now.” Said Yuna.

“What? No, Yuna. I’m not gonna accept anything from you again at this year.”

“I’m gonna take care of her. Don’t worry.” Said Umji to Yuna.

Yuna was looking at Umji. She trusted her friend but somehow, she didn’t want her to involve with anything related to Sinb now.

“What the hell is happening here?” asked Sowon who once again lost, didn’t understand the situation.

Yuna hesitated but then she decided to tell the younger girl.

“Well, we can say that Sinb’s family is the owner of Kyunghee University.”

“What? No way. Someone who has a University living life from taking other people’s money?” asked Sowon, didn’t believe what Yuna said. “It doesn’t make sense you know.”

“Well, Sinb is…different. Like I said their ‘family’ runs the University, or to be exact her father. She has an older sister, but she handled a different ‘part’ of the family’s property. And Sinb, she was supposed to take care of some things including the University but she’s a rebel and refused it. She was a very hard person, you know. She does what she likes and she decided to take her own way by becoming the ‘gangster’ of the neighborhood, you said. Of course, it has become a talk in the community since she came from a decent family, that’s why her father is always trying to get her on his side, but it never worked out. She was too stubborn.” Explained Yuna. “She said she wanna do it her own way, but it’s actually easy for her to become anything since everybody knows her father and some of them actually bow down to Sinb just to get to her father. But I guess she doesn’t aware of this.”

Sowon was carefully listening to Yuna’s story about Sinb. She was not expecting Sinb to come from such a good family but choose to be the ‘bad guy’ in the family. She was staring blankly at the table.

“I never understand rich people. You guys are so complicated.”

“But now at least we can be sure why I get my order.” Umji said suddenly.

“What order?” asked Yuna.

“She has made a move to Sowon slowly by trying to make her work more in the uni.”

“That’s it? Well, but somehow I am relieved if that’s just it.”

“What do you mean ‘that’s it’?” said Sowon.

“No, Sowon, seriously…I’m not close to her, but so far I know she usually did worse than just giving you more workload.”

“Did she kill people?” Sowon was curious.

“About that…I’m not really sure. Maybe?” said Yuna.

“I don’t think she did, Yuna. She’s not that kind of person.” Said Umji.

“Wait, do you know Sinb personally too?” asked Sowon to Umji.

“Uh…..”