Five

Guess, I Was Born to be Yours

“Wait, do you know Sinb personally too?” asked Sowon to Umji.

“Uh…..”

Yuna was looking at Umji waiting for what will her friend tell Sowon.

“Well, yeah..something like that.” she paused. “I’m not that close to her, but I’ve met her personally a few times.”

“Ah...I guess rich people all know each other.” said Sowon.

“Please don’t call me rich people. I’m not that rich. Yuna is. I just happen to know her that’s all.” said Umji.

They continue talking about something else. Actually, Umji was the one who initiated another topic cause she saw Yuna was still looking at her after she finished her sentences. But not long after that, Sowon excused herself cause she forgot there was something she needs to do that evening, leaving only Yuna and Umji alone in the café.

“So...what’s your plan actually?” asked Yuna to Umji when Sowon was already out of sight.

“What do you mean?”

“You know what I mean.” said Yuna. She looked right to Umji’s eyes. “I’m not gonna agree if you plan to try to get her back.”

Umji was avoiding Yuna’s gaze before. After the last sentence, she looked at Yuna.

“I…I don’t have any intention to do that. She might not gonna accept me if I do that anyway. I just… I made a mistake Yuna. It’s me who made everything like this. And I want to at least clear things up you know.” Said Umji. There was visible guilt and sadness in her eyes when she said that.

“But her parents didn’t want you guys to be together. Plus, she didn’t treat you right back then. So, what’s the point?”

“She’s …it’s not like that Yuna…” she fell into silence. Failed to explain her situation to her friend.

“Why Kyunghee though?” asked Yuna while holding the straw and slightly stirred her drink that came a few minutes after she joined Umji and Sowon on the table. “It’s not like you can meet her there. She doesn’t run that place. Sinb does.”

“Actually, I didn’t know that I will get a job there too. The timing was just perfect, I guess. The professor I replace knows me personally so when he heard that I’m looking for a job in Korea, he recommended me there. I didn’t even know he did that. I just suddenly got a call.” She paused. “and when I moved here, I heard that because Sinb won’t be in charge, she will replace her to take care of the uni.”

“Interesting.”

***

 In Sinb’s apartment.

As soon as she put in the password and entered the room, she saw Eunha was lying in her sofa holding the TV remote and pressing the next button to change the channel. Nothing seemed to really interest her.

“Are you gonna lay down all day?” asked Sinb. But Eunha didn’t budge. She didn’t even seem to be surprised when Sinb got back. Sinb sigh looking at her sister’s condition. “You should just go and find a girlfriend. You look so pathetic now.”

“Please don’t remind me that I’m pathetic. Being pathetic is bad enough for me. You don’t have to shove it in my face.” She finally said something.

Sinb threw the key on the kitchen table and put the jacket on the stool. She opened the fridge, pulled out a bottle of water and drink it. After finishing one bottle of water, she got back to Eunha. She sat next to her sister's feet. Eunha wore her favorites bare bears’ socks that made Sinb laugh sometimes. Her sister is really a er for cute things that she looks like a kid herself.

“Stop.” Sinb told her sister to not change the channel when Eunha reached the channel with criminal show airing. But she didn’t listen to Sinb and keep pressing next. “Ah why did you change the channel? It’s my favorite show!” protested Sinb.

“Why did you even watch that kind of show?!”

“It’s called ‘research’.”

Eunha just looked at her sister for a while and ignored her.

“By the way, I saw someone today.” Said Sinb.

“Well, you’re outside, of course, you see someone.” Answered Eunha uninterested.

Sinb quickly threw a fierce stare to Eunha and said, “If you keep being an , I’m gonna kick you out of my house.”

Knowing that Sinb’s place is the only place she can find comfort and Sinb would really kick her out without any hesitation, she gave up.

“Fine. Who did you see?” asked Eunha while lifting her body to sit upright and folded her leg right away with her hand holding her ankle.

Sinb was thinking for a while before answering.

“Nope. No one.” Sinb suddenly changed her mind.

“You! I even sat up to listen to your story!” said Eunha, disappointed. She stared at Sinb with her angry face.

“No, now that I think about it, it’s not important. By the way, about you taking over the uni for me, has dad made it official?”

“No. It was supposed to be next week. Why you suddenly ask? You never interested in the uni before.”

“Nothing. And I’m asking something about you, not the uni. Anyway, I’m tired. Gonna sleep, bye. Don’t cry on my couch again.”

“Why would I?” asked Eunha, but Sinb was already halfway to her room.

Meanwhile, on the other side, Sowon was already on her way home. It was 9 pm when she passed Mr. Kim’s store and saw him putting some boxes to his car. She quickly approached him.

“Mr. Kim! Finally, I meet you.” Said Sowon.

Mr. Kim was startled when he felt Sowon’s hand on her shoulder. He turned his body around to face the girl.

“Oh, what brings you here at this hour?” asked him.

“I just on my way home and I’m so glad that I can finally meet you.” She paused. “I’ve been looking for you these past days. Did anything happen to you? Where are you going with all of these?”

“I’m okay Miss Sowon. You should take care of yourself. Please don’t involve yourself with Miss Sinb.” Said Mr. Kim. He got back to lift the boxes to his car.

“It’s something important, isn’t it? The one inside the bag they took?”

“It’s okay. you don’t have to think about that. It’s my problem Miss.”

“How could I not think about that? I was the one who made you lost it. Please tell me what it is.”

Mr. Kim knew that Sowon will not stop until she gets her answer. So, she told Sowon what’s inside her bag. It was the ownership certificate of his store. She told Sowon that one day his daughter got sick and needed surgery. He didn’t have money that time and borrowed it from Sinb. He was able to pay the installment and the interest at first but got a little problem lately cause he needed to pay for his children tuition fee and so on. He asked Sinb, to give him some more time to get the money, but Sinb didn’t give him. After finished telling Sowon what happened he asked Sowon to just go home since it was late, and he also needs to do some more thing.

Sowon didn’t know what to say that time so, she excuses herself and go home. In her apartment she thought a lot about it. She made Mr. Kim lost his store. She needed to fix it, but she doesn’t know how. She wanted to meet Sinb and talk to her about it, but she doesn’t know where to meet her. Even though she might see her in the uni like today but it’s not like Sinb will stay when she sees her. She took off her watch to wash up before she went to bed. When she wanted to put it in the table, she looked at it again and something came into her mind. She thought she could give it to Mr. Kim to pay his debt.

‘But this is a gift from Yuna...’