Three

Guess, I Was Born to be Yours

“So, for this topic, I’m going to give you a task. You have to read one English classic literature. You have the freedom to choose the author and you have one week to read at least half of it cause we’re going to discuss it next week.” Said Miss Yewon, the new English professor.

To be honest, Sowon thinks that she’s pretty young to take up the position as a professor. She’s probably just 3 years older than her. And she has to admit it that Miss Yewon is indeed gorgeous. No wonder if people kept talking about her. Plus, it’s very fascinating to hear her speaking fluent English with that Korean face. At least for Sowon.

“Oh, and it’s an individual task.” Added Miss Yewon.

Everybody was sighing. Reading a page of an article was already difficult for the majority of the people in the class, so reading half of a novel in a week tasted like torture. Especially, when you have to do that alone. You can’t just rely on your friend who’s better in English to read it for you or something. It was a very smart move from Miss Yewon. Sowon thought it was a very difficult task too. But she didn’t complain.

Not long after, Miss Yewon dismissed the class. The other students already packed their bag and ready to go. Some of them even already got out of the classroom. Sowon was still busy packing her books inside her bag when Miss Yewon approached her.

“Sowon, right?” she said.

Sowon looked up to see Miss Yewon’s face. She was surprised that she stood in front of her table.

“Ah, yes.” Sowon replied short.

“You got here by scholarship?”

“Uh… no actually, but I did apply after I got in and received a half-course scholarship since last year.” She explained. “Is there something wrong?”

Miss Yewon didn’t say anything for a while.

“Well, I just received an order to give you more task for every subject today. He said, it’s necessary for you since you received a scholarship and that’s the only way for you to keep it.”

“What?” Sowon slightly shouted as she said it.

“That is exactly my reaction when I get the order.” She said. “It’s ridiculous isn’t it?”

Sowon agreed but she didn’t say anything. She didn’t understand why suddenly she has to work on an extra task to keep her scholarship. She knew someone who received it too in the same English class as her but she didn’t remember Miss Yewon called him. He even already got out of the classroom. In fact, there were only her and Miss Yewon left in the room as they speak.

“Did Jinwoo get this too?” Sowon asked to make sure.

“No. Just you. That’s why I said it’s ridiculous.”

Sowon didn’t give any reaction.

“Well… but it came from the head of the department himself, so it’s so hard for me to say no. Especially because this is my first day teaching.” Said Miss Yewon while looking at Sowon who turned her head down. “But don’t worry, I’ll just give you extra tutor hours so, it will only take some more time from you. And I see that your English score is not really outstanding, so I think it’s not a bad choice for you. What do you think?”

Sowon agreed about cause it’s not like she can do anything anyway.

“So, I’ll see you again on Friday.” Miss Yewon walked out of the room.

Sowon packed her last book into her bag and got out too. There were a lot of things in her mind. It’s true that she’s not really good in English, but she always passed the standard grade that is required to keep her scholarship. So, it doesn’t make sense for her. She was 20 steps away from the front gate when she saw someone sitting inside her yellow Porsche with her sunglasses on. It was hard to determine where she looked at with the glasses but Sowon was pretty sure she was looking at her. The girl started the engine and went off when Sowon was staring at her. She saw that girl somewhere before. It was Sinb. She was pretty sure it was her. But she wondered what was she doing here. ‘Does she have something to do with my extra task?’ she thought. ‘No, that’s impossible. If Sinb is indeed ‘something’ in the neighborhood, she’s definitely a gangster and there’s no way a gangster could have any influence in the uni.

It was passed a few days after Mr. Kim incident and Sowon was kind of expecting something more physical happens to her. Not that she wanted it, she just thought that since she had meddled in Sinb business and as Mr. Kim said that she likes to beat someone’s , it would make sense if that happened to her. And she was somehow already prepared herself. Mentally. Cause she can’t fight. ‘Is she checking where I go to study? Maybe Sinb was watching me earlier because she wanted to do something with me later.’ She thought. She was really brave, for someone who doesn’t know how to defend herself physically. She knows how to punch and kick -randomly- and that’s it. No technic at all. And she never even used it in her whole life. But she knows she got her brain and there must be something she can do with it.

 She decided to visit Yerin’s bakery and buy some cake there. The bakery was the opposite ways from her place, but it only takes 15 minutes walks from the campus. The bakery provides some tables and beverages, so people can enjoy the cake there. There were some people inside the bakery when she arrived. Yerin was busy serving the customer. So, she thought she would grab a sit before she ordered something. She saw a woman sat on the corner near the window reading a book with an ice americano in front of her.

“Yuna?” greeted Sowon as she arrived near the girl’s table.

“Oh, Sowon! Hi! It’s been a while…Have a seat.” Said Yuna.

“I didn’t know you’re back.” Said Sowon surprised to see Yuna. She thought she would be in Switzerland longer. “Yerin didn’t tell me you’re here already.”

“Yeah, I just got back this morning. And I want to surprise her so I didn’t tell her. She didn’t know it either until I came here.”

“Oh, is that so?”

They were talking for a while. Sowon asked Yuna about her trip and Yuna told her how beautiful there and how she wanted to have a double date trip once Sowon has a girlfriend.

Sowon sighed. “That would be…”  

“Why?”

“I’m not really thinking about having a girlfriend now.”

“Well, you just haven’t found the right one, that’s it.” Said Yerin who brought a café latte and strawberry cheesecake for Sowon and joined them in the table.

“Oh, right. Here, I got something for you.” Said Yuna while handing a paper bag to Sowon.

Sowon asked what’s inside the bag and Yuna said it was a souvenir from Switzerland. Sowon peeked inside the bag and found a small snow globe, cheese, and chocolate inside it. There was something more a little bit deep inside the bag. It was a small box. She pulled it out to see what it is. And she was very surprised when she found a new watch inside it.

“A watch? This is better not be expensive cause I can’t accept it if it is.” Sowon said.

“Well… it’s okay.” Yuna said.

Sowon was quickly looked at the brand and without any intention to disrespect Yuna, she searched up the price, even though she knew that it is expensive since Yuna was the one buying it, but she just wanted to make sure. It was Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Ultra-thin Moon with white dial. The cost varies from 7K++ to 16K++ USD. Sowon was very shocked. It was far from her imagination. She quickly handed the watch back to Yuna.

“No, no, no, no, no. I can’t accept this.” She said. “The chocolate and the cheese are more than enough for me.”

“No, it’s okay for real. Don’t mind the price. It’s not a big deal for me. Plus, I got it with a pretty cheap price since I buy it in the production country so, don’t worry.”

“No, but why would you buy me such an expensive souvenir? You really don’t have to do this.”

“Well, it’s actually her idea.” She pointed at Yerin. “But I think it’s a good one so I bought some.”

Yes, it was Yerin’s idea. She thought about with when Yuna asked her what she should buy as souvenirs for her best friend, Sowon. Yerin immediately thought about Sowon’s old watch that she has been using since high school. She always wears it even after the strap broke a few times and even changed color. When she tried to tell her to buy a new one, she always refused it. She didn’t say the reason, but Yerin suspected that was because she’d rather spend the money on something else. That’s why she came up with the idea.

“Yep, she also got me one.” Yerin said while showing the watch on her wrist. It’s a different model but still from the same brand. “Yuna and I actually have matching watches.” She pointed at Yuna’s wrist. Yuna lift her hand so Sowon can see it better.

“But I received a scholarship Yerin. How on earth could I afford this watch? People would talk about it. Plus, if someone from the campus sees it and asks about it, my scholarship might be canceled.”

Yuna was looking at Yerin. She didn’t expect this.

“First, you get the scholarship because you’re smart enough to get it. Second, who cares about what people said. They don’t feed you, they don’t pay your bills. Besides, it’s a gift. And if people don’t believe it, you could’ve just said it’s a fake one.” Yerin said.

“Yup.” Yuna agreed with her girlfriend.

“You know, even if I told her to buy the cheap one, she would just buy anything she likes right?” added Yerin. She glanced at Yuna.

“Well, how could I buy the best person in my life and her best friend a cheap one when I can afford for the best one?” said Yuna.

Sowon couldn’t find any words to refuse it anymore, so she took it. She thanked Yuna for giving her the most amazing gift she ever had in her life after the sweet letters she always get from Yerin on her birthday. Even after years passed, Yerin’s words in the birthday letter for her always reached her heart. The softest part deep inside it. That shows how much they have been through thick and thin together this whole time.

They were talking for a couple hours before Sowon left the place and leave Yerin and Yuna alone.

“You want a refill for your ice americano, babe?” said Yerin while walking to the counter.

“No, thanks. Actually, my old friend came from the us to teach here. I want to meet and welcome her tonight. If that’s okay.” said Yuna.

“Oh, sure.”

Yuna packed her belonging and stood up. She walked towards Yerin and kiss her forhead.

“See you tomorrow.” Said Yuna.

“See you.”

Wait, I think Sowon said she had a new professor. Could it be the same person?’ Yerin thought.

Sowon passed through Mr. Kim’s store when she got back and found the store closed. He still opened it yesterday even though some of his products were nowhere to be seen. She also visited it from a few days ago but he was not there. The store was left alone. Sometimes, her daughter would take care of it. Sowon really wanted to know what happened. She asked Mr. Kim’s daughter about his whereabouts but she only said that her father went somewhere. She felt guilty somehow. ‘What have I done?