BBB

Everyday

“Want to try go somewhere today?” It was the summer of 2002, I turned 10 and little Minho just turned 7. I was in the the 7th grade and he is home-schooled.

 

The stunned Minho turn to look at me with wide eyes. Minho isn’t little anymore, he is still skinny but he is much taller now. Almost my heights. I’m not short so Minho is just tall, I always thought jealously.

 

“Go where?” He asked unwillingly, looking up from his homework.

 

“Out of here. I will take you to the beach, you have never been yea?” I smiled brightly while standing up. I spend after school playing around with friends and study at night. My weekends then saved for Minho: “Let’s go!”

 

Though reluctant, Minho never disobeys me. He was so obedient that I feel like if I tell him to jump in the sea he would.

 

He jumps after me and we landed on the concrete floor with ease. I hold his hands tightly and drag him away laughing. Minho looks so surprised but I can tell he is having fun.

 

We never get to run together under the sun like this the whole 3 years we were together. I just suddenly want to show Minho the world around us.

 

We arrived at the beach in no time, the perk of living in an island. I walk by here all the time on my way home from school, but to Minho who lives on this island probably as long as me, this is the first time.

 

I pity the younger boy, I should have done this earlier, look how much fun he is having. I beam happily before run after the kid who is diving into the refreshing water.

 

Even though we live on an island, I’m still very pale. I must have taken after my mum, even if I was out in the sun all day, I would get burn and it just peels off. Minho’s on the other hand, he looks a few shades darker which makes me laugh teasingly.

 

“You look better like this.” I told him happily. He does, he looks healthier and happier. He finally looks like an ordinary 7 years old.

 

We start walking home as the sun was setting. Minho would giggle happily at everything he sees on our way home. We joke around and I feel like Minho finally acts his age.

 

Suddenly, as Minho was jumping around, he steps on something. I look behind him as I heard what I pray is not a dog. Turns out it is, to make it worse, it’s the neighbour’s giant dog.

 

We look at each other in terror as the dog starts growling angrily. I hold onto Minho’s hand forcefully and we start running with all our might.

 

The dog starts catching up despite our effort. It corners us into an alley. I panic, sweat dripping down my forehead and the hand holding Minho’s start sweating.

 

I think Minho can sense that I was scared, he steps in front of me to block me from the dog. He picks up a long stick and starts swinging aimlessly in hope of scaring the dog away.

 

The dog however get more aggressive. He jumped toward Minho and bit him on his leg. Minho let out a shriek in pain. The whole time I was frozen, doing nothing to defend the younger one, doing nothing but cry.

 

The dog finally let go and walks away satisfied. Minho drops to the floor holding his leg. I dropped down next to Minho. I hug him tightly while crying desperately to the point my whole body was shaking.

 

“I’m sorry Minho-ah… I am so sorry!” I cried into his arms. When can I protect him? Why didn’t I do anything?

 

I help Minho home then rush out to buy a first aid kit. Lucky his jeans were thick, I sigh in relieve looking at the wound. It doesn’t look too bad, not deep enough where he will need stitches.

 

“Hyung-ah it’s nothing. It didn’t even hurt.” He said smugly while I keep quiet: “I’m just so glad I can protect you.”

 

I look up at the younger boy, tears filled my eyes. I don’t normally cry, but why did I cry so easily when Minho is hurt. I’m so useless.

 

 

 

 

 

I spend even more time with Minho now. Instead of playing around with my classmates after school, I would rush over to see Minho.

 

“I’m so glad that dog bit me.” He would always say that happily whenever I come over: “You always with me now.”

 

“Don’t say such stupid thing.” I think Minho knows I come so much more because I feel guilty, so he would bring it up whenever I’m about to leave, to make sure I will come back the next day. This kid!

 

The Friday afternoon was such a nice beautiful day. I promised Minho I would come over as soon as I finished school so we can go out together again.

 

I was skipping happily toward his house’s direction and suddenly I heard a woman’s voice yelling furiously.

 

“DO YOU THINK YOU HAVE A CHOICE?” I run toward the noise and as I was afraid, it is coming from Minho’s house: “WE ARE GOING AND THAT’S FINAL!”

 

I climb up the usual rubbish bin and sneakily look over. I saw Minho with his head down and the other woman must be his mum. She looks very young and beautiful, probably even as beautiful as my mum. But right now, her expression was scary, her face is red from all the yelling and her eyes are blood shot red.

 

Minho must have been beaten for a while now. There was already a hand mark on his small cheek and his clothes are disordered.

 

She raises her hand and slaps down hardly on Minho’s cheek. I almost let out a yelp, I start tearing up.

 

Minho on the other hand didn’t let out a single noise. His fist tightens to the point where his knuckles would turn white.

 

“I’m not going anywhere! I’m staying here!” He said sternly.

 

“Your dad finally wants you as a son and you’re just going to be like this?” She pulls his hair backward so he would look up at her: “The only reason you were born was so your dad would stay with me. Now that he wants us you decided to be a brat?”

 

“I am not going!” He stubbornly argued back.

 

She looks like she lost it. She lets go of his hair as she starts looking around to find something. She then crouched down, picks up a bottle of soju and look back at him with a evil smirk on her face.

 

“So are you going to go with me obediently or you want me to make you?” She threatened.

 

“Minho looks scared for a second but stood his ground: “I am not going!”

 

She swung the bottle high up and before I know it, I jumped in between them. I always think of myself as his big brother, as his guardian and his only friend. I was still feeling guilty from the incident last time that I feel like this is the chance for me to protect the younger boy.

 

The bottle hits me so hard I was swept to the side and landed harshly on the floor.

 

Maybe it was the adrenaline? But I didn’t feel any pain, maybe not yet. Minho stood there shocked and so was his mum.

 

I don’t feel pain but everything around me is swinging. I can see Minho approaching me with tear streaming down his face. He was saying something but I can’t hear him.

 

Blood was dripping down my head and I feel cold. I wish my mum can be here, I want to go home, I thought weakly to myself.

 

I tried to be a hero but I guess I am suited to be one. Right now, I just want to go to sleep. I can feel Minho shaking me harshly to keep me awake but I can’t. My eyelids get heavier and heavier.

 

Minho just keeps crying on my side, he cries so much that his tear would drop down to my face. I am just going to sleep, why are you crying so much, I thought to myself as I slowly drift off into darkness despite his effort.

 

“Minho-ah I guess we are even now.” I whispered.