CCC

Everyday

My mum is now remarried to a divorcee. He is such an ordinary government worker. He is so ordinary that I don’t know what she sees in him, but after my step-dad, I think ordinary is what we need right now. He brought laughter and happiness to my already very unfortunate mum.

 

He has a son who is 4 years older than me. We all live together under the same roof until he was hired as a lawyer and move to an apartment near his work.

 

When I was discharge from the hospital that day, I came right by Minho’s house to look for him. But Minho wasn’t there, the house looks empty and abandoned.

 

Maybe they went on a holiday I thought. I came by the house almost everyday waiting for him to come back. I come everyday for more than a year.

 

He was my source of strength, I depend on him so much before I know it and now it’s so hard to face everything by myself again.

 

I have a harder time enduring my step-dad’s beating. I never cry and now I never stop. The only thing good came out of all this is finally my mum has the courage to leave him. She finally did it for both of our sake. We move far away and never come back.

 

 

 

 

 

The weather is so cold at this time of year. I wrap the coat tighter around my body while shivering uncontrollably. Hope it won’t snow anytime soon, I begged in my head. I rented a small apartment near the hospital, about 10 minutes’ walk away but whenever I got off work later in the night I would wish I have a car.

 

I stroll down the street hurriedly and pass by a pitch black alley way. Suddenly I heard a whimper. Déjà vu, i thought to myself.

 

“Hello?” I curiously called out into the dark as I walk closer to the noise.

 

There is a man in a black suit laying on the floor. He has his head down and his hand holding onto his stomach but I see blood sipping through the white button up and his finger.

 

I sit down beside him, remove his hand from the wound to take a better look at him. He groans in pain and looks up at me cautiously. It’s too dark for me to see anything so i have to use the light from my phone to better look at the wound.

 

It’s a gun shot wound, I shuddered. Though the wound is not fatal but it still needs to be taken care of to prevent him from bleeding out.

 

“I will take you to the hospital, it’s just around the corner.” I was planning on helping him up but he shoves my hand away.

 

“I can’t go to the hospital.” He said weakly. His voice is thick, the way he speaks is articulate and calming.

 

“You have to. Do you want to lay here in die?” I angrily retorted.

 

“They make a big deal since this is a gun shot wound, and those guys are probably still out there. Just leave me be.” He whispered, slowly losing concious.

 

I sighed. Should I just leave? But I am a surgeon, i was trained to help people, I can’t just walk away and let him die. I will treat the wound and leave then.

 

I pull out a pack of surgeon’s kit from my bag, i usually would bring this kit home to practice, lucky. I lay him down and quickly sterilised the wound then perform the surgery. I can only take out the bullet and wrap the wound up, preventing further bleeding. Throuout the whole process he did not make a single noise.

 

“You need to go to the hospital later okay? I can only stop the bleeding, if i stich you up here your wound will get infected. Do you have anyone you can call?” I said as I pack my stuffs up.

 

“Give me your phone.” he starts dialling on my phone i just gave up: “Pick me up… Its me Minho… Long story… I think I’m in an alley near Seoul National Univerisity hospital in Daehak…Alright.”

 

He hands me back the phone without saying a word of appriciation. What do i expect, this guy looks like a gangster.

 

“You can go now, what are you waiting for?” He said arrogantly.

 

“I saved you you know?” I angrily walk away: “Should just leave you to die.”

 

As I walk away I notice it starts snowing. I look back at the man sitting on the floor, I can see he’s trembling. I walk to the convient store close by and come back.

 

He looks surprised when he sees me sit down next to him. I take out the 5 hot packs I just bought and stick it all over him. Then I took off my jacket and cover him. If I leave him like that, I bet he will die before his friend comes, I thought.
 

I busily take care of the wound. The whole time he keeps quiet, not even a single whimper was heard: “If it hurts you can cry out. You don’t have to hold it in.” I said without looking up.

 

“I’m a man.” He said smugly.

 

“I can see that though your whimpering was what got my attention before wasn’t it?” I teasingly said.

 

“Shut up.” He looks away, maybe he’s embarrassed I thought and giggle at his childishness.

 

“Okay you’re all set.” I stand up when i’m sure he is taken care off and walk away: “Don’t die on me.”

 

 

 

I don’t think there is such things as fate in life, I would rather call it coincident.

 

I was surprised, my grip on the medical chart got tighter: “It can’t be…”

 

He was sitting there with a cocky smug look and behind him was two men in black. He was dressed in all black, a thick black loose sweater, a pair of equally loose trousers and black sneakers. His hair was messy as if he has been running his hand though them a lot.

 

In the light, he looks so much more handsome and dominant. The air around him cause people to turn heads, he’s the type of people that even if you throw him in a crowd, he would still stand out.

 

His features are so much harsher and stronger than before. He has thick eyebrows and a shaft nose. He has long eyelashes that compliment his beautiful. He looks so much different yet the same.

 

“Minho…” People looks uncomfortable and scared around him. Can't blame them, he is the definition of a gangster looking guy if you see one. 

 

“HEY! When is he coming?” He asked the nurse loudly.

 

“I’m so-sorry, doctor Kim was just done with his operation, he… he… will be here soon sir.” She answered terrifyingly as she looks around.

 

“I’m here.” I approach them with a professional smile, so he came to look for me: “You need me?”

 

I try to act indifferent but the whole time I was so nervous, I can feel sweat forming on my forehead. How I should I even act? Do I hate him? Does he remember me? He has to or else why would he come to look for me? So many thoughts running wildly in my head.

 

“Thank god you are here! I mean this patient is looking for you!” The nurse said in relief. I turn around to look at Minho, the professional smile never leave my face.

 

“So we meet again, Minho-ah.”

 

“You’re that Jinwoo?” He looks shock, so shock that I can’t tell what exactly he is thinking. Does he not remember me? “Um… I… I’m from yesterday… at the alley.”

 

“Oh. Follow me, I will have a look at your wound. Did you have it look at yesterday?” I walk leisurely to my office while he follows suit.

 

“Y-yeah…” He closes the door behind him as I go to put on a pair of gloves: “I’m so glad to find you.”

 

I look up at him, stopping what I was doing: “How are you? I almost didn’t recognised you, even yesterday I didn’t realise it was you. You look so different.”

 

“Beside from yesterday I’m fine.” He smiles happily while scratching the back of his head: “I'm used to it, this small wound is nothing. Anyway do you um... work here?"

 

“Yea, I graduated last year and started working here since then.” I smiled at his awkwardness: “How about you? If you don’t mind me asking.”

 

“I don’t mind anything.” He said quickly. “Um… it’s a bit complicated with me. I didn’t go university instead I help out my dad with his business.”

 

We talk a bit while I was looking at his wound. It was stitched up nice so all I have to do is change his bandage.

 

The whole time we both choose to avoid talking about the past. We keep things basic. I realise he is now living in that gated area on the hill. Must be doing well for himself, I am glad.

 

“Okay you are all goods.” I paused. “You guess you can… um… go.”

 

“I have something to do soon, but do you want to have dinner with me tonight? After your shift?” I said as we both stand up. I realise he is much taller now. Almost a head taller than me, almost.

 

“I finish very late tonight.” I paused: “Maybe some other time?”

 

“No, I will wait.” He flashed me a sweet smile: “I will call you. I have your number from your business card. You left it in your jacket pocket last night.”

 

“Oh, that was how you find me. I was worried you’re some sort of stalker.” I joke awkwardly.

 

“Haha… no. I think I will become one though.” He mumbled the last phrase quietly but I can still hear it, though I choose to ignore it.

 

“I hope to see you tonight Jinwoo-ah.” He reaches out to squeeze my hand then let go and left.

My heart was beating so fast the entire time. I don’t know if it is a good thing we meet again but right now I am happy. It feels like a miracle.

 

Should I change? Should I go home and wash up first? I was deep in my thoughts and worry until a nurse came in to rush me to my operation.