Way Back Home 2/2

Passage of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A few years later

“Seul, hurry up or I’m going to leave you.”

“Coming!”

Seulgi grabs her briefcase and keys off her table before chasing Irene out the front door.

After graduation, both of them had been fortunate enough to receive job offers from the same law firm and decided to get an apartment together downtown.

Living with the older girl wasn’t too different from when they were roommates during law school, except the fact that Irene was in a committed relationship with a veterinarian and well, Seulgi wasn’t.

Even though she recently started seeing someone from work, it wasn’t serious. There was always something missing in her relationships. The person would be too boring, too dumb, too lightweight, though Irene would remind Seulgi that only alcoholics could outdrink her. Regardless, the idea of celibacy became more appealing with each new relationship.

After all, it had been years since she stopped believing in the happy endings that only occurred in fairy tales and dreams.

--

“Here is your next case.”

Seulgi picks up the folder Irene tossed across the table.

“You’re going to be representing a physician who is being sued by her patient’s daughter. Mom had leukemia, received a bone marrow transplant, but the tumor came back and metastasized. Daughter believes the transplant was botched.”

“Unlikely. Cancer is finnicky, you can never predict what’s going to happen.”

“Agreed. I’m sure it’s just a grieving daughter who’s trying to find solace in the lawsuit. Try to settle the case outside of court if possible. She’s probably already been through enough.”

“Should be easy.”

“Yeah. Well the doctor is coming in this afternoon to go over the case with you.”

“Got it, what’s her name?”

“Dr. Wendy Son.”

Seulgi watches at the girl in front of her takes out a binder full of records containing receipts of visits and recordings of phone calls. Their initial meeting was a mixture of surprise and awe. They didn’t know if they should shake hands or hug. (They settled on an awkward one armed hug to Seulgi’s disappointment)

Though the two agreed to stay in contact, they only texted each other on birthdays to exchange pleasantries. Seulgi didn’t even know the girl had returned to Korea and she would be lying if she said seeing Seungwan in front of her after all these years didn’t make her feel some type of way.

Her hair was shorter now and choppy on the bottom. Her bangs were still present, but gone were her large glasses. Instead, the girl donned contact lenses and her red lips stood out in comparison to her pale skin.

This was the oldest Seulgi has ever seen Seungwan yet, aside from her appearance, the girl hadn’t changed much. It was just like her to be organized and have everything prepared.

She was always a planner.

“This is the record from her first visit, these are her test results from the second, here is the transcript of the.....”

Seulgi reaches out to put her hand on the other’s arm and feels it tense before relaxing beneath her grip.

“You’re rambling.”

Seungwan scratches her head, “Sorry. Old habits die hard.”

Seulgi smiles, “So tell me, how have you been?”

“Good. I came back to Korea a few months ago after finishing up my residency. Canada was great, but it wasn’t home. What about you?”

“Also good. Not much has changed. Finished up law school, started this job, moved out. Oh, actually, do you remember Irene? She also works here. We actually live together.”

“Are you guys...dating?”

“Oh hell no. She’s dating this vet right now, Joy. Me on the other hand, I’m currently seeing someone, but I don’t think it’s going to work out.”

“How come?”

“I don’t know. Just don’t click I guess.”

“Oh.”

Seulgi hesitantly asks, “Are you seeing anyone right now?

“Yeah. His name is Henry, we work together.”

Seulgi raises an eyebrow and can’t read the expression on the doctor’s face. Something along the lines of distaste and relief? She doesn’t know what to make of it and decides to change the topic.

“You go by Wendy now?”

The girl smiles, “Sometimes. It was easier for people to say that than Seungwan in Canada and Wendy actually sounds like it belongs to a girl.”

“I always liked your name.”

The two look at each other and if either of them wanted to make a comment, they decided not to. Instead, Seulgi suggests that they start working on the beginning of their case and build it from there.

--

She is surprised by how easy the girl fits back into her life, like the missing piece of a puzzle you’ve been looking for in the box.

They naturally start spending time together again.

They would say it’s for the case, but ninety percent of the time, they would end up just talking about their lives. From the time Seungwan almost hit a moose with her car to when Seulgi almost overslept for her bar exam. And while they frequently reminisced, neither would bring up their past relationship because if they did, it would be like unleashing the elephant in the room and allowing themselves to be crushed.

“So, is she staying permanently?”

“It seems like it. She said Canada didn’t feel like home.”

“You know what that means right?”

“What?”

“This is your chance.”

“What do you mean?”

Irene rolls her eyes, “Let’s be real Seulgi. You haven’t dated anyone for longer than two months after you broke up with her. It’s clear that you still have feelings.”

“No I don’t.”

“Yeah, and I’m straight.”

“Well I think you’re only dating Joy because she’s tall and if she puts her hair in a bun and wore a cap, you really can’t tell from behind.”

Irene throws a pillow in Seulgi’s face.

“Hey!”

She hugs the pillow close and sighs, “You know it’s been years and she’s moved on. She has a boyfriend now.”

“So?”

“So…I’m not a homewrecker.”

“It won’t last.”

“What makes you say that?”

“Listen, I know you don’t believe in fate, but the fact that you met again under these circumstances, it just seems like you’re connected to each other in some way don’t you think?”

Seulgi thinks for a moment and well, she didn’t have an answer for that.

--

After a few weeks of deliberation, the patient’s daughter finally decides to drop the case. She admits to being emotionally distraught and apologizes for suing.

The two decide to celebrate over dinner and when Seungwan mentions bringing her boyfriend, Seulgi feels obligated to bring a date as well.

From her knocking over Seungwan’s wine glass to Seungwan accidentally calling Henry, Seulgi, the dinner was anything but smooth.

They two decide to call it an early night, but when Seungwan texts Seulgi later to say that she was sorry about dinner and how she would make it up to her, Seulgi falls asleep dreaming for the first time in years.

--

“You’re still not together?”

“Nope.”

“Why not?”

“Yeah, why not?”

Seulgi makes a face when she hears Joy chiming in.

“Because, she’s still dating Henry and I’m still seeing the guy from work.”

“Dump him already, you don’t even like him.”

“Yeah, you don’t even like him.”

“I’m sorry, is there like an echo in here?”

Joy shrugs as Seulgi grabs a bag of chips off the table,“I don’t know. I don’t even know if she still likes me and even if she did, what if it doesn’t work out again? I’m scared of losing our friendship over this.”

Irene puts a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter