Put Me Back Together 2/?

Passage of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She’s at the café the next morning with Joy studying for biology and chemistry. Their finals were in a week and Joy was determined to make sure that they would both end the semester with A's. 

They're in the middle of discussing avogadro's number when two muffins are placed down on the table. 

They both look up to see Seungwan smiling at them.

Joy starts, "Oh we didn't order any muffins."

"I know. You guys have been sitting in the same position for 3 hours. I figured you could use a snack."

"That's so sweet of you...Seungwan. I'm Joy!"

The tall girl extends her hand out to shake the barista's while Seulgi rummages through her bookbag looking for her wallet. She wanted to pay for muffins but Seungwan quickly stops her.

"It's okay, I made them."

Joy's eyes widen as she picks up a muffin, "You made these?! They look store bought!"

Seungwan laughs, "Thank you."

Seulgi raises an eyebrow as she reaches forward and picks up the muffin, "You just happened to have these?"

Seungwan shakes her head, "No, well, kind of. I bake goods for the cafe and sell them from time to time. Unlike the other menu items, I get to keep the profits on everything I make."

Seulgi is about to take a bite and stops, "Then you should let me pay for these!"

"Don't worry about it. Plus, you need to eat something with all that coffee you're dirnking. It's bad for your stomach lining."

With that, Seungwan walks back to the coffee counter.

"These are really good. I'm didn't realize how hungry I was." 

Seulgi turns to look at Joy who is finishing up the last bit of her muffin. She looks down at her own and feels herself salivating. She brings it up to take a bite and savors the taste.

'Mmm..red velvet.’

She looks over to the cash register to find Seungwan taking someone's order and smiles. The girl always managed to make her day a little brighter. 

--

“!”

Seulgi slams her fist on the door. She can’t believe she forgot her keys. 'Dumb dumb dumb'

She checks her watch and sees that it’s only 2 pm. Irene won’t be back till 5 for duty, meaning she can’t do anything for three hours.

“Hey.

Seulgi turns to see Seungwan coming out of her room.

“Hey.”

Seungwan tilts her head, “What’s up? Why are you standing outside?”

“Forgot my keys. I needed my chemistry textbook."

Seulgi kicks the door lightly, "Damn, finals week is seriously getting to me.”

"Is it for Introductory to chemical principles?"

Seulgi turns to look at Wendy surprised, “Yeah, are you in the class or something? I’ve never seen you.”

Seungwan smiles and shakes her head, “No, I’m not.”

She motions for her to follow as she opens her dorm room again. Seulgi stands in the doorway for a second before hesitantly stepping inside the room and is instantly hit with a scent of vanilla.

Seungwan walks to her desk and searches around while Seulgi takes in the room. Everything was organized unlike Seulgi’s. Wendy’s clothes were neatly hung up and her books were all aligned. In the corner of her room was her guitar along with a few music sheets. Her walls were bare except for a few photos of who Seulgi assumed to be her family. The Canadian's bed was made and even though there were a few pops of color here and there, the room felt oddly dark. 

“Here we go.” Seungwan stands back up and turns around and hands Seulgi a textbook.

Her eyes widen, “I thought you said you weren’t taking the class.”

Wendy chuckles, “I’m not. I’m a chemistry tutor when I’m not at the café.”

Seulgi’s mouth opens to form an “O”.

“You can keep it if you want. I don’t really need it. I usually just use it as a reference once in a blue moon.”

“What—no, I can’t take this. I’ll return it when I get into my room.”

Seungwan shakes her head, “It’s fine, you can hold onto it for as long as you need. I don’t need it for finals.”

Seulgi bites the inside of her cheek and Seungwan seems to sense the hesitation.

“Hey, it’s just a book. Don’t worry about it. You can take me out for coffee or something to thank me later.”

Seulgi raises an eyebrow, “Coffee?”

“Yeah. Preferably not at my café so I don’t have to be the one making it.”

Seulgi laughs, “Deal.”

She thanks Seungwan and heads to the library all the while holding the textbook close to her chest.

--

'Shall we start? We’ve waited so long for this time to love'

Seulgi's ear twitch at the sound of music coming through the walls. She groans as she lifts her head, confused to see only white. It takes her 2 seconds to realize that it's notebook paper stuck to her face. She gently lifts the sheet off and rubs her eyes. She must have fallen asleep while studying. 

She leans back in her chair and stretches out her arms before looking around for her phone. She picks it up and sees that it's already 2:30 am. She decides that the the pentose phosphate pathway can wait a few hours and calls it a night. But, just as she's about to stand up, she sees a scribble in the corner of her textbook. She sits back down and leans down to look at it closer. 

'People are like stained-glass windows'

She picks up a pen and begins writing down the quote on another post it and sticks it to her corkboard. She sits back to look at the 8 other notes. As she was going over the cheimstry book, she noticed that Seungwan had random quotes and notes all over the pages. She wanted to know what they all meant, but catches herself yawning and thinks that it's a question for another day. She pushes back her seat and gets up to change into her pajamas.

She turns off the light and crawls into bed. As the guitar strumming and singing continue on the other side of the wall, she finds herself unconsciously moving closer toward the wall and putting her head against it. 

'Time to love...is it?'

--

Seulgi covers to stifle another yawn and checks her watch. It’s only 1 pm and she was already exhausted. She just had one more final to get through and she was done for the semester. She thinks chemistry went well and she just needed to get through biology tomorrow afternoon. For the most part, she was feeling good about it.

She picks up her phone to see a message from Joy about DNA translation. The girl had already finished her finals and left campus yesterday, leaving Seulgi to study by herself, but she had done more than enough to help Seulgi prepare for the test. She promised herself that she would take the girl out for barbeque when they came back from break.

She’s in the middle of replying to the text when a cup is placed down next to her.

She looks up to see Seungwan wearing a black baseball cap, an oversized sweater and sweatpants to match. In her hand was another coffee cup and two textbooks.

“For me?”

She reaches out to pick up the cup and turns it to see a drawing of a turtle and the message, ‘Good luck!’

“Cold brew, no milk, no sugar.”

Seulgi feigns surprise, “How did you know?”

Seungwan chuckles as she sits down at the table across from Seulgi and puts her books down.

“How did you know I was here?”

“I saw you when I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter