Chapter 8

Find me, Romeo

Minho felt absolutely delighted to see Kibum again, and judging by the nervous smile he got, it was clear that the feeling certainly wasn't mutual.

"Jinki mentioned that you need my help to find someone"

Kibum felt torn as he saw the expression on Minho's face change from delight to disappointment. At that moment, he really didn't want to tell him about Romeo. He knew for a fact that Minho liked him, and found himself wishing that he'd never met Romeo in the first place. It would've been so much easier if he'd just gone for the person who liked him, instead of being stubborn. Truth be told, he did have feelings for Minho, but it didn't seem fair to just view him as a sort of consolation prize.

"No, I don't want to find anyone"

"You look troubled, Kibum. Have a seat, I'd like to paint you. I've wanted to do that for a long time now"

With an uncharacteristically shy smile, Kibum sat down and tried not to blush as Minho reached out and set his hair. Why was he reacting like a teenager? This is not how he usually was. He allowed his mind to wander a little bit. Perhaps what happened with Romeo was just infatuation. The real thing was standing right before him, holding a paintbrush. How could he resist this? His mind and heart at odds with each other, he allowed himself to loosen up a little bit. Although it seemed like it was too soon, he felt ready. Ready to move on completely, and open his heart to love the one who loved him.

"Minho, can we have dinner together next week? I'd really like to get to know you better"

His smile put all the doubts in Kibum's mind to rest. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that Minho wouldn't like him. If anything, judging by the soft blush that appeared on his face each time Kibum smiled at him, the attraction seemed to have increased. By a lot. Just by watching the way Minho painted, after , Kibum could easily see how he had become so well known. He seemed to paint with his heart and soul. Although abstract was where he shone the most, he was equally good at portraits. Sneaking a quick look at the painting, he could see that it was only halfway done, but the resemblance was uncanny. Minho had even managed to bring in the various highlights in his hair. When they took a break for lunch, Kibum knew that this was the perfect time to start getting to know him.

"Minho, you're really amazing at what you do. Were you in the art club during your high school?"

"You'd be surprised, but I was more of a jock at that time"

Feeling his heart suddenly start beating faster, Kibum took a deep breath before asking him the next question.

"What sport did you play?"

"I was the captain of the football team"

All of a sudden, the restaurant seemed as if it was getting hotter and hotter. Blushing furiously as Minho touched his cheek, Kibum struggled to control his emotions.

"Are you alright, Kibum? You seem flushed"

"I'm fine. Which high school did you go to?"

"XYZ High School"

Kibum suddenly felt his heart leap into his throat. Choi Minho was his high school crush, but he didn't seem aware of that fact at all. Should he tell him, or just keep that little fact to himself?

"I figured you went to the same school as Jinki. Anyway, I think we need to get back to the studio. It's getting late"

Before Minho could realize what was happening, he saw Kibum almost flee like a doe in his haste to get away. Feeling rather dejected, he picked up his brush and continued to work on the portrait after saying goodbye. He'd promised Jonghyun that he wouldn't breathe a word of their deal, but he really couldn't bear to look at Kibum's stressed out face. He could almost see the wheels turning in Kibum's head as he started to figure things out. At this moment, it would be best for everyone for Minho not to follow him.

Kibum spent the rest of the day trying to figure out what was happening to him. All these events seemed too closely linked for it to be a coincidence. It was obvious that Jinki and Minho knew each other from university, while he and Jonghyun went to the same high school. Jonghyun was the link between them all. Closing his eyes, he summoned a picture of Minho in his mind and compared him to Romeo. They were of the same height and both had long, dark hair. Concentrating hard, he recollected Romeo's voice. Now he was absolutely sure. There was certainly no doubt about the fact that Minho was Romeo. The only thing nagging him was the reason why he did this. Two words. Kim Jonghyun. He had to have been behind all of this. Being the only person who knew about Kibum's secret kink, he had cleverly engineered all of this, not caring how anyone would be affected. Well, he liked Minho, and the Romeo persona gave him access to Minho's other side. He should be happy by now, but why did he still have a doubt?

Rushing back to Minho's studio, he was greeted with his finished portrait. It was as if he'd looked into a mirror. There was no doubt about it; this was perfect. Waiting for Minho to return, he thought of how he could subtly confirm that Minho was indeed, Romeo.

"Kibum, welcome. I'm sorry for the mess. I wasn't expecting you this early"

"I just saw the portrait you've painted of me. It's really beautiful. I can't even imagine how long it must have taken"

"I'm glad you like it. I'd like to add a few final touches to it before giving it to you"

As he sat watching Minho touching up the painting with concentration, he knew how he was going to confirm it.

"Sweetly, and a little more sweeter..."

"Whisper my serenade"

Smiling with satisfaction, he looked at Minho who hadn't even realized what he'd said. He'd got his confirmation. Just then, the door opened and in walked Jinki and Jonghyun. Expecting to feel angry when he saw Jonghyun, Kibum was surprised to feel a sense of contentment. That crazy guy had been trying to play matchmaker for ages, and this was the only time he'd found a guy who was exactly Kibum's type.

"I know what you did, Jonghyun, but I also know why you did it"

From the expression on Jonghyun's face, Kibum could see that even Jonghyun knew that he'd been found out.

"I'm sorry, Kibum. I just want you to be happy. I agree that I should've told you about this, but  I wanted you to think it was spontaneous"

"I know"

He saw Minho approaching him.

"I'm sorry, Kibum. I never wanted to lie to you"

Kibum slipped his arm around Minho's waist and kissed his cheek.

"You're forgiven. By the way, did I ever tell you that I had a crush on you in high school?"