Chapter 4

Find me, Romeo

Feeling excited, Kibum practiced his lines once more, before driving to the Opera House where the play was going to take place. It felt absolutely amazing as he stepped inside the massive structure. Decorated with crystal chandeliers that dazzled in the light, it was even more incredible than he had ever imagined. This was truly going to be a dream come true for him.

"Mr. Kim? I've been told to you to your dressing room. Your costume has been kept ready and I'll get one of our makeup artists to join you in a few minutes"

They'd even kept a costume ready. How did they even know his sizes? Still feeling puzzled, he followed the girl to his dressing room. The costume was a size bigger than what he usually wore, and a seamstress altered it at once. This made more sense. It would have been really creepy if the costume had fit him like a second skin. After his makeup was done, he noticed that he looked nothing like himself. Putting on the crystal-encrusted mask, he stepped backstage and waited for his cue. Shortly, he was asked to take the stage. His partner had already started delivering his lines, and Kibum had a few minutes to survey him. Dressed in a long black and red cape, and the black and white mask covering his face, he looked like a cross between the Phantom of the Opera and Dracula. A soft rendition of Bach's Toccata played in the background, gave the scene a slightly eerie and mysterious note. As Kibum received his cue and walked to the stage, his partner started their scene.

"The moonlight that's about to spill is definitely dark. The same goes to you, the burning torch that's about to explode"

These were the same lines on the anonymous notes. The sender could be someone among the wide range of actors, or the author of the script. Realizing where he was, Kibum fumbled for a second before replying with his line.

"I can't stop. So take all of my heart and my breath"

"Please open your heart. Your gestures towards me pass by again"

"My trembling heart seems like it's about to explode any moment"

It wasn't just these lines, but the manner in which they were being said that made Kibum wonder if the one who had sent those notes was the person delivering these lines. The worst part was that his partner's face was fully covered by the mask, and he even had a wig on. There was no way Kibum would be able to recognize him at all.

"Sorry, my unchanging passion is the melody made by lyrics that endlessly shreds white paper"

"Music that you'll remember deep within your heart. That's the only thing you want, what's left is like my value"

"I pull it off so easily, you don't know the meaning of my tears"

"There's one reason why I do music. It knows the pain I've endured"

Kibum's heart skipped a beat with the other actor gently caressed his cheek, while speaking.

"Even if you say nothing, I know everything"

"Your eyes have expressed that you long for me"

"I can't stop the habit of chasing you. You're spreading like an irresistible addiction"

The moment you entered through that door, I've only been staring at you"

"I'm Romeo, your knight in shining armor. Trapped in a glass jar"

"Even if I'm still lacking, I want to love you"

Kibum stared wide-eyed as his partner pulled him even closer as he delivered his last line.

"I'll give you my soul. Sweetly, and a little more sweeter.."

"Whisper my serenade"

The applause they received just blew his mind and left him feeling almost giddy with excitement. After the curtain fell, he knew all the actors would go back on the stage, without their masks. What had happened onstage felt like more than just a scene. Somehow, when the other actor was speaking, he seemed as though he was talking to him directly. Kibum felt a huge rush of emotions sweep through him, as he waited impatiently for their curtain call. Once it was time, he walked onto the stage and looked around for the mysterious Romeo who was nowhere to be found. Smiling and waving to the audience, Kibum went backstage to look for his partner, only to run into Jonghyun and Jinki.

"Kibum, you were incredible. Jinki and I absolutely loved your performance"

"Thank you, Jonghyun. I did my best"

"I thought you wouldn't come, because you never called me back. Why didn't you tell me you were actually starring in it?"

"I didn't have any rehearsals. I just received the script a few days ago from someone, along with this mask"

"Well, I'm glad you decided to go ahead with it"

"I'm just dying to know who had sent it. It's been driving me positively crazy, these past few days"

"I'm sure you'll find that person at the masquerade ball"

**********************************************************