Chapter 2

Don't Go

Nenita pouted as she held up your necklace to admire it. "I can't believe he bought this for you. I hope he gets me something really nice for my birthday too."
"I'm sure he will." you told her, and you honestly hoped he would.
Her pout turned in to a smile. "Yeah." She laid the necklace down on your desk. "I got to head to class. See ya later."
You heard her leave the dorm and only then let out a heavy sigh. You grabbed the necklace, intertwining the chain around your fingers, and examined the pendant. Memories of Nenita running into the dorm room entered your mind. Hearing her gush about this 'great guy' she met, how much she wanted you to meet him too. You didn't expect your heart to stop beating when you finally did meet him, or more unexpectedly, how often you caught him looking at you over the next couple of months.
With another heavy sigh, you set the necklace aside. Yongguk better get Nenita something nice for her birthday. The last thing you wanted was for you best friend to be utterly crushed. Gathering up your stuff for class, you pushed the male out of your thoughts.

After your last class for the day, you received a text from Nenita informing you she was at the library and that she needed your help. You replied back that you were on your way, planning on getting her help for one of your classes as well. If anyone could help figure out your chemistry homework, it was her.
You entered the library and glanced around the sitting are. Several of the tables were occupied, but you managed to spot Nenita at the far end. With Yongguk sitting next to her.
'Damn it.' you thought as you hesitated. He must have showed up after Nenita sent her text otherwise she would have simply told you she'd see you at the dorm later. Before you could leave though, Yongguk noticed you and waved you over.
Silently cursing again, you made your way over to the pair. You took the seat opposite of Nenita and smiled. "Hey."
"Oh, hey." your friend greeted.
Pulling out your chemistry sheets, you flashed them at her. "Can you make sense of this for me?" you asked. "If I stare at it any more, my head's gonna start spinning." Then as a second thought, you turned to Yongguk and pointed at Nenita. "She's a genius when it comes to chemistry. Got me through high school." you told him, paying your friend a compliment.
"Oh yeah?" He nodded impressively at Nenita, but then he turned back to you. "I can help you too. I'm actually taking the same class." He stood and moved around the table so he could sit next to you. "Here." he said as he took the papers from you.
A slight panic overtook you and attempted to take them back. "Uh, no. Th-that's ok. I.."
"Crap!"
You jumped and quickly looked at Nenita. She was scrambling to pick up all her things.
"I'm suppose to meet my professor in five minutes." She glanced at the two of you apologetically, her gaze lingering on Yongguk for bit longer, before hurrying away.
Alone now with Yongguk, you were acutely aware of him scooting his chair closer to you. He pointed at your chemistry work and started talking, but you couldn't hear what he was saying. Your heart thundered in your chest and you swallowed to wet your dry throat.
Suddenly he stopped talking and stared at you before chuckling. You blushed and shook your head to collect yourself. You needed to leave. "I should.."
"Why aren't you wearing your necklace?"
Surprised, you gaped at him. "What?" You glanced at your clothes. You were wearing a pair of jeans and a plain, old shirt. Hardly something you would wear an elegant necklace with. "I... I didn't think.."
"You should wear it." he told you as he brushed your hair back behind your ear.
Feeling your face heat up, you could only stare back at him. He held your gaze, never wavering. The kind of look that said everything that needed to be said, and with the way your heart was fluttering in your chest, you were sure he could see the same thing in your eyes. So you forced yourself to look away.
"I can get Nenita to help me. I don't want to waste your time or anything." you stated and took the sheets back.
At that moment, another woman appeared and she leaned on the table to smile at Yongguk. "Hey, you."
You stopped what you were doing and glanced between them. There was no mistaking what you saw and nausea welled up in your stomach.
"If you're not busy, I was hoping we could go grab some coffee and you could help me with something for class." She stuck out her bottom lip and cutely added, "Please."
Yongguk blushed as he eyed you before turning back to her. "Uh... Well..."
"Or later." She indicated towards you. "After you finish here. I'll be sitting outside." She stood and with one last little smile, she turned and slowly walked away.
Now that she was gone, you let out a breath you hadn't realized you were holding. You focused back on Yongguk and was surprised to see him looking at you. There was something different in his eyes though, almost curiosity. Then he looked at your stuff and the chemistry papers you had taken from him.
"Wait." he suddenly called out as he stood up. He went after the girl that had invited him to coffee and stopped her.
You couldn't hear what was being said, but she was smiling again. More than just nausea this time, your chest constricted in pain. After a few moments, he came back to the table. Instead of sitting with you though, he went around to the other side where his stuff was.
You inhaled sharply as your eyes widened. You watched as he picked up his things and then hesitated as he looked at you. He didn't say anything, but it seemed like he was expecting you to. Waiting for you. You weren't sure what you should say though, or if you should say anything.
Finally he turned and walked away. He went back to his classmate, smiled, and indicated for her to follow him. Together, they headed towards the doors.
You quickly looked away as your vision clouded. Blinking several times, you willed yourself to calmly breathe despite the pain making it hard to do so. It was like your insides were being crushed.
Picking up your things, you walked out of the library with your head down. That way no one would see a couple of stray tears rolling down your cheeks.

Inside your dorm room, you worked on controlling your emotions. The last thing you wanted was for Nenita to see you so distraught. Which only made you feel worse. Guilty. You shouldn't be feeling like this. Not over Yongguk.
You took a deep breath and slowly let it out while sitting at your desk. Taking out the chemistry sheets, you focused on the words, trying to make sense of it. It didn't take long though before your gaze drifted over to the necklace still laying on the desk.
"Why aren't you wearing your necklace?"
Shaking your head to get rid of Yongguk's voice, you growled in frustration. You grabbed the necklace with one hand and opened the desk drawer with the other. You threw the necklace in to the drawer and then slammed it close.
"Hey!"
You jumped and whirled around in your chair to see Nenita.
"Scared you." she teased as she closed the door. She made her way over to her desk and dropped her things. "So what did Yongguk have to say after I left?"
Your mind drew a blank as you thought about everything that had happened. Him asking about the necklace, the look the two of you had shared. And then the other look he had gave you before he went off with the other woman. Everything you shouldn't tell her. "Uh... nothing. He uh... He ended up leaving too."
"Oh. Okay." Nenita eyed your desk and the papers on it. "Oh right, you needed help with chemistry." She grabbed her chair and brought it over to your desk before sitting down. "No worries. I'll have you passing this class like it's nothing."
A small smile formed on your face. "Thanks."
She smirked at you in return. "What are best friends for?"