Chapter 5

Don't Go

You had ran in to Nenita a couple of times between classes. She would take one look at you though and then quickly walked away, never saying a word to you. Part of you hoped that the distance she had put between you two would make her miss you, or that maybe the time away would help her heal enough of her broken heart for her to be your friend again. All of that was for her to decide though. So when you watched her hurried away from you, you never chased after her no matter how badly you wanted to.
The worst part was the few times you ran in to Yongguk. Your gaze would met his and the two of you would look at each other, much the same way you and Nenita would look at each other. But he was the one with a pleading look in his eyes, and you were the one that would run away.
You told yourself that you were doing it for Nenita, keeping your distance from him. Yet you would think about that discarded necklace in your desk drawer. Why couldn't Nenita just tell you why she set it on your desk? About what it meant. Whether it was a blessing or a curse. Or even if there was no meaning to it. She just happened to find it when she was clearing her stuff out and put it on your desk since it was yours. No ulterior motive whatsoever.
Shaking your head, you brought yourself out of your thoughts and stared down at the paper in front of you. You kept finding yourself doing this. Thinking about Nenita and Yongguk instead of concentrating on what you were suppose to be doing. You didn't even want to know how badly your grades were suffering because of it.
You sighed heavily and glanced around the room. An idea came to you and you mulled it over for a bit. Then you gathered your things and stood up. Perhaps a change of scenery would help and if you ran in to Nenita, she would simply run away. If you ran in to Yongguk, then you would run away right back here. Either way you wouldn't have to deal with either of them so you left the dorm room and headed to the library.
Going over the various work deadlines you had, you barely paid attention to everything else. So when you were nearing the library's entrance, you inhaled sharply and came quickly to a stop. You gaped at Yongguk in surprise while he stared back at you. There was barely any distance between you two. It was the closest you had been to him since that day in the hallway. Seconds ticked by and you were sure he was going to close that distance to you because you couldn't move. You were completely frozen in place.
Suddenly a figure swept past you. Everything seemed to move in slow motion as you looked away from Yongguk and watched as a woman approached him.
"Hey! You ready?" There was a bright smile on her face as she wrapped her arm around his.
Yongguk looked away from you and turned his attention to her. "Uh, yeah." Then he spared you one last brief glance before letting her lead him in to the library.
Flashes of a memory came back to you. The time in the library when he went with that other girl.
"I was trying to make you jealous."
This wasn't her though. This was someone else. A different person. Yet that memory kept replying in your mind. His voice echoing in your head. Then it changed, blending in with the sight of him leaving with this woman. He left with her. He left. He... ran away.
A tiny amount of pain formed in the center of your chest. It slowly bloomed, growing larger as it intensified until it hurt to breathe. You opened you mouth wide, desperately trying to in oxygen, and your chin shook.
Finally your legs moved, and you turned away from the building. You stumbled back towards the dorms, feeling as if the entire world around you was crumbling. Somehow you managed to get back to your room, though you weren't sure how.
You dumped your stuff on to your desk before collapsing on to your bed. Tears spilled from your eyes as you buried your face in to your pillow. First Nenita left you, and now Yongguk. But it was inevitable. What was he suppose to do? Wait for you forever while you kept avoiding him? He moved on. It was only natural. Though that didn't make it any less painful.
At that moment, the door opened and closed. You could hear your roommate loudly talking on phone, and getting louder as she neared this side of the room. Then she suddenly went silent before asking, "Are you okay?"
"Yeah." you answered, your voice strained and muffled by the pillow.
"Uh... okay." More noises and then you heard her quietly mumble, "My roommate's crazy." A second later, the bathroom door closed.
Squeezing your eyes tightly shut, you moved the pillow so it was on top of your head. Time passed by until you were too exhausted to cry any more. Somehow you rmind was still active though as you thought about all the moments you had with Yongguk. Including the one in this room when he had kissed you.
The pillow fell to the side as you sat up. The room was still empty, meaning the roommate was still in the bathroom. You stared over at the bed that use to belong to Nenita for a bit before reaching for the desk drawer. You opened it and retrieved your necklace.
"Beautiful."

After your last class the next day, you wandered around instead of heading straight to your dorm. Nervousness caused an uneasy feeling in your stomach, while your heart fluttering in your chest came from a different emotion. At long last, you found who you were looking for and your mouth went dry. Before you could run away, you forced yourself to move forward.
"Yongguk." you uttered, getting the man's attention.
He turned around and his eyes widened in surprise. "Uh... hey." Then his gaze lowered and he went completely still.
You swallowed thickly, feeling the weight of the necklace around your neck. "I... I..." The words were caught in your throat and you swallowed again in an attempt to dislodge them.
"Hey! You coming?"
You looked past Yongguk to see the same woman from yesterday. The one that had latched on to Yongguk outside of the library.
"Uh... W-well..." He stuttered as he turned his attention back to you.
The woman was approaching the two of you, causing your heartbeat to speed up. She was going to snatch him away again.
"Don't go." you quietly blurted out. Then you inhaled sharply as you blushed.
That wasn't what you had planned on saying to him when you rehearsed your little speech. Those words were out now though, and there was no taking them back. So you stood there staring at him, seeing a confusing mix of emotions reflected in his eyes.
At that moment, the girl was beside you both and she glanced between the two of you. You kept merely staring at Yongguk, waiting.
After what seemed like an eternity, he turned to the other girl. "Can you tell the group I can't make it today? I promise I'll go tomorrow to work on the project."
She raised an eyebrow curiously before a sly, knowing grin formed on her face. "Sure thing, buddy." she said and bumped him with her shoulder. Then with a giggle, she walked away.
You blinked at her retreating back, processing what just happened. Group? Project? Buddy? Turning your attention back to Yongguk, you saw a small smile on his face.
He shook his head slightly as he chuckled. "What kind of guy do you take me for? I said my heart belonged to you."
Blushing even more, you closed your eyes in embarrassment. At the same time though, relief flooded through you. "Sorry. I..."
You were cut off as you felt a softness press on your lips. Your eyes flew open to see Yongguk close to you for a moment before he pulled back. Then he lifted his hand traced a finger down your cheek. "Beautiful."
The corners of you lips twitched in to a smile, but then you wore a serious expression. "I'm sorry. I just... I couldn't..."
"Hey, it's okay." He cupped your face in your hands. "You're kind, and considerate. Loyal."
Knowing what you had lost, and what you had almost lost, your eyes watered. "She.." You cut yourself off. It hurt too much still.
Suddenly Yongguk moved forward and kissed you again. You had expected it to be a quick peck, but his lips lingered on yours. Closing your eyes, you hurriedly grabbed his arms as you felt yourself melting. You kissed him back just as desperately, pouring all of your feelings in to it. Then his arms were around you, yanking you closer and you warpped your own arms around his neck.
A wolf whistle startled you, making you jump and pull away from him. You saw the two boys laughing as they passed by you and Yongguk. Blushing yet again, you turned back to Yongguk to see him blushing as well.
He cleared his throat and indicated in the direction of your dorm building. "I'll walk you back to your room."
You started to nod in agreement but stopped as you winkled your nose. "Except my roommate is weird and she thinks I'm crazy."
He burst out laughing at that. "Well I know my roommate is crazy, but he'll give us some privacy to talk." Then he offered you his hand.
Laughing as well, you grabbed his hand and let him lead you towards his dorm room.

A couple of weeks later, you were in the library and chewing on your lip as you looked over your work. Then your concentration was broke as you felt yourself get lightly elbowed. You glanced over at Yongguk to see him smirking at you. You merely rolled your eyes and focused back on the book in front of you. Your fingers continued fiddling with your necklace though, a habit you had picked up which seemed to amuse him for some reason.
All of a sudden, there was a loud bang and you quickly looked at the stack of books that had been dropped on to the table. Then your gaze went higher and you inhaled sharply.
"If I don't pass the next test, I don't have a chance of passing my class." Nenita folded her arms and gave you a stern, pointed look.
Several seconds passed in silence before you stated, "Yeah. Of course. Anything for you."
She pressed her lips together as she looked away. Then she gave a nod of her head and sat in the chair across from you.
"I'll leave you two alone to study." Yongguk declared as he stood up.
"Sit." demanded Nenita in a harsh tone.
Instantly the male complied and plopped back down in to his chair. He glanced between you and Nenita, obviously unsure on what he should do.
"I have to get use to this anyways." Nenita muttered as she spread out her own work.
You watched her, feeling your eyes water. She never once spared Yongguk a look, but she was here. She was doing the best she could and you resisted a strong urge to hug her.
Something brushed your foot and you glanced over at Yongguk. There was a tiny smile on his face, showing you that he was happy for you. Then he lowered his head and stared down at his book.
Turning back to Nenita, you realized she was watching you. She bit her bottom lip, as if she was stopping herself from saying anything. Then she slid a worksheet closer to you. "This."
You eagerly examined it and smiled at her. "You'll get this in no time." you insisted and began tutoring her.