Chapter 4

Don't Go

When you woke up the next morning, Nenita was already gone. You tried to not think about her or Yongguk as you went to your classes, but it was almost impossible. Your thoughts constantly drifted back to them. If only you knew what to do to fix this. The one thing you were certain of though was that you couldn't face Yongguk. So you purposely went out of your way to avoid him. Taking the long way to your classes and not entering the cafeteria for lunch.
Finally the day was over and you wearily made your way back to the dorm room. You came to an abrupt halt though as you noticed the door slightly ajar. You could hear voices coming from inside and slowly pushed the door open more so you could peer inside. Inhaling sharply, you gaped at Yongguk and Nenita.
"I do understand." stated Yongguk. "And I'm sorry."
Nenita hugged herself tighter and pressed her lips together while staring down at the floor.
"I mean that. I really am sorry." he continued. "But... I don't feel that way about you. My heart belongs to her."
Your eyes widened as your heart skipped a beat.
"And if you were any kind of friend to her, you would want her to be happy." He stood there silently, as if waiting for her to say something. When she didn't though, he turned and headed to the door.
You stepped to the side so you couldn't be seen and glanced around the long hallway, wondering where you should run and hide. A second later though, Yongguk came out of the room and stopped when he saw you. You started to leave but he grabbed your arm.
"Don't go." he told you.
Freezing, you gaped at him as your mind went blank.
"Don't go." He stepped closer to you. "Please."
Movement out of the corner of your eye caught your attention and you looked over to see Nenita. Her eyes were red and swollen, and there was a brief moment of surprise on her face before it was covered over with anger.
"Wait." You wanked your arm free and took a step towards her, but then she went back in to the room and slammed the door close.
You stood there staring at the door as your vision clouded with tears. You were acutely aware of Yongguk standing behind you, yet you couldn't bring yourself to turn around.
"I know she's your best friend, but.."
"No." you stated, cutting him off. "No. You don't understand." Taking a deep breath to steel yourself, you finally turned to face him. "We grew up together, she's practically my sister. I... I just can't..."
"I do get it." he sighed. "I promise I do. What I don't get is how she can do this to you. If she truly thinks of you as her best friend, as her sister, she'd want you to be happy." He moved closer, causing you to hold your breath. "And I know you have feelings for me. Just like I have feelings for you."
The tears you had been holding back rolled down your cheeks. You lowered your head and pressed your lips together, willing yourself not to cry which only made you cry more. That's when you felt fingers softly brushing the wetness away. Instantly your heart fluttered. It would be so easy to simply close the distance. To let him comfort you. But instead, you moved back.
"I.. I just.. I-I'm.." You honestly didn't even know what wanted to say, but whatever it was wouldn't come out. Not with the way your throat was seizing up. Turning away from him, you opened the door and disappeared in to your dorm, closing the door behind you before Yongguk could think to follow you.
Standing there, you attempted to in much-needed air in to your lungs. When you saw Nenita sitting on her bed though, crying, the last bit of your strength left you.
"And if you were any kind of friend to her, you would want her to be happy."
A new feeling enveloped you, startling you. And you couldn't stop hearing Yongguk's voice in your head. So you turned away from your friend and dashed to the bathroom. Locking the door behind you, you finally let yourself break down as you cried.

Nenita left early the following morning as well so you didn't have a chance to talk to her. Not that she was really listening to you. The only thing you could think of to do was let her have some time. So you followed the same routine as before. You avoided running in to Yongguk and as soon as you were done for the day, you went straight to your dorm.
You hesitated at the door as a sense of déjà vu came to you. Taking a deep breath, you opened the door to find the room empty. You let out a breath of relief and headed over to your desk. Eyeing the work you had to do, you grabbed the first thing off the pile. You glanced over the chemistry sheets and before you knew it, you were thinking about that moment in the library. How close Yongguk had been to you while going over these same papers. Just like how close he had been right in this room, when you were sitting in this very chair. And he kissed you.
You shook your head and swallowed, trying to wet your dry throat. Forcing the man from your mind, you attempted to focus on your work. If Nenita was here, she'd help you figure this out. Then you were thinking about overhearing her and Yongguk's conversation, and the words he had said to you in the hallway.
Letting out a frustrated sigh, you closed your eyes. That's when you heard the door open and you quickly looked back to see Nenita. You noticed the box in her hands and furrowed your eyebrows. "What are you doing?"
Nenita set the box down on her desk and started throwing her stuff in to it. "I asked to change rooms."
A cold dread washed over you. "What?" you whispered, not believing what she had said.
"There was already another girl on the list. I'm switching with her." she stated.
She didn't say anything else. She didn't even look at you. Like she was completely ignoring you, despite everything the two of you had gone through. Growing up together.
"What I don't get is how she can do this to you."
Feeling your heart rapidly beat in your chest, you stood up. "This is ridiculous. We've planned this since high school, and now.."
She finally looked at you as she said your name, cutting you off, but this time you ignored her and kept going.
"No! Because he's right about everything, and you're being a complete ." You took a deep breath to get your anger under control. "I never said anything to him. I never lead him on. I was always bringing you up, and complimenting you, and leaving the two of you alone together. It was always you. I practically pushed him towards you. I did nothing wrong. Nothing."
Suddenly you remembered the kiss and your face heated up as you blushed.
"A-and that... He... He kissed me. I didn't... I didn't ask for that or.."
"Just stop!" she exclaimed. "It doesn't matter."
You shook your head. "Yes it does. I.."
"No, it doesn't. Cause I..." She turned away and inhaled deeply before slowly letting it out. "I... I can't be here."
The anger inside you cooled and was replaced by a new feeling. "Don't go." you pleaded as your chest constricted.
She avoided looking at you and shook her head. "This isn't about you, it's me. I can't be here when..." She swallowed thickly before quietly saying, "When he comes here looking for you."
Your eyes widened at that, but also made you hurt that much more. Knowing just how painful this had been for her. Pressing your lips together, you nodded your head in agreement. "I'm sorry." Then you quickly went to the door and left the room.

You walked around for a while, trying to clear your head and get your emotions under control. It was dark by the time you finally returned to the dorm room and you hesitated at the door. You weren't sure what you were going to find once you opened it, but you dreaded it all the same.
Taking a deep breath, you walked in and saw an unfamiliar person standing by Nenita's desk. Though it wasn't Nenita's anymore by the looks of it with all the new stuff piled on it. The girl turned around to look at you and raised an eyebrow.
"Uh... hi." you uttered.
Realization flashed in her eyes and she smiled. "Oh! You must be my roomie." she declared and indicated your side of the room.
You nodded and said, "Uh yeah." Then you self-consciously made your way to your desk while she watched you the entire time. When you sat down, you saw something laying on your desk that caught your attention. It was the necklace Yongguk had given you. You held it up as you thought about the last time you had seen it. It was when you had thrown it at Nenita, only to have her throw it away. You had never tried searching for where it had landed.
"Oh that's pretty." Your new roommate commented. "Where'd you get it?"
Startled, you jumped slightly and turned to look at her. "Oh, uh... It was a gift."
"Cool. Well I'm all moved in now, so I'm gonna go take a shower." The girl grabbed a pile of stuff that had been on the dresser and disappeared in to the bathroom.
With her gone, you turned your attention back to the necklace. She had talked about it like she had never seen it before, which meant... Was it Nenita that had found it? As impossible as that sounded, it was the only possible answer. What did that mean then?
There was only two reasons you could think of for Nenita doing this. Either she was rubbing it in more, that Yongguk had chosen you, and making you feel even more guilty. Or... was she giving you her blessing?
Your heart fluttered in your chest, but you quickly shook your head and dismissed that thought. Opening your desk's drawer, you dropped the necklace inside it before slamming it closed. Then you tried to focus on your work once more.