Chapter 1

Don't Go

You smoothed down your birthday dress as you admired it once more. As soon as you saw it in the store, you just had to have it and begged your mother to buy it for you. She had laughed of course, knowing exactly why you wanted it. You could barely contain your excitement when she agreed.
Glancing around, you watched your friends run around the backyard. There were several games set up and you wanted to go play them, but you were holding out for one last guest.
"Sorry we're late."
At the sound of the voice, you swiftly turned around. The woman greeted your mother but you were focused on the little girl, who happened to be wearing the same dress as you.
"Nenita!" you exclaimed and ran to her.
She smiled and as soon as you reached her, the two of you embraced each other.
"We couldn't find her dress but she refused to wear anything else. Now I see why." Nenita's mother amusingly commented.
You grabbed your best friend's hand and led her over to the ring toss game. For the rest of afternoon, the both of you stuck together. Always playing the same games and when it was time for you to blow out your candles, Nenita insisted that she got to sit right next to you.
Once the party was over, all of your other guest left first. Nenita's mom waited a couple more hours before coming to pick her up, much to your delight. Though that didn't stop you from jokingly saying that you were going to hide Nenita in your room so she couldn't go home.
"I guess you had a lot of fun with your friend." Nenita's mom commented with a chuckle.
Nenita threw her arms around you in a hug. "She's not my friend, she's my sister!"
A huge grin formed on your face and you hugged the girl back. "Yeah! We're sisters!"


"You sure you don't want to do anything for your birthday?"
Glancing at Nenita's reflection in the mirror, you chuckled and shook your head. "I'm going to this party with you. That's good enough for me." Then you focused back on applying your makeup.
"Well if you change your mind, let me know." She slipped her heels on. "I'm going to head out now. See ya there."
"Yep." You heard the door open and close, signalling that you were now alone. Sighing, you sat back and surveyed the dorm room you shared with your best friend. Hard to believe that the two of you were here now, attending the same university together. The only thing that was different was Nenita was fully embracing the social aspects of life while you were more content with staying in.
You stood up and smoothed out your black dress. It wasn't exactly like the dress that Nenita was wearing, but it was pretty close. The same color and design. When you had told her you weren't interested on doing anything special for your birthday, she insisted that you both wear the similar dresses for the party. That way it was still kind of like your birthday.
Letting out another chuckle, you finished getting ready before leaving the dorm room. A couple of people greeted you in the hallway and you politely smiled at them as you passed them. Then you exited the building and headed away from the campus.
Your heels clacked on the sidewalk as you walked, making you feel a bit grateful that the party wasn't far. It was only a couple of blocks away and if it was any further, you didn't think your feet could take the impractical footwear.
Finally you spotted the large house with people spread out around the lawn. You searched for Nenita but didn't see her so you made your way up to the porch. As you reached for the front door though, someone grabbed your arm to stop you. You turned around and inhaled sharply when you saw who it was.
"Hey." Yongguk greeted with a big smile. He pulled you off to the side so you weren't blocking the door. Then he let go of your arm to grab your hand instead. "Happy birthday." he said as he placed something in your hand.
You gaped at him in disbelief. "How'd you know my birthday was soon?"
He merely grinned instead of answering. "It's the one you wanted, right?"
Curious, you examined his gift. It was a necklace and much to your surprise, it was one that you had been admiring weeks ago. You quickly looked back up at him, "Yong.."
"Here." he said, cutting you off. "Let me." He took the necklace from you and undid the clasp.
Swallowing thickly, you turned and moved your hair out of the way. He slipped the necklace around your neck and a few seconds later, you could feel the weight of it so you knew he was done putting it on you. Yet his fingers lingered on your skin, causing a shiver to travel down your spine.
Finally he moved away and you dropped your hair. As you turned around, you messed with it, making sure every strand went perfectly back in to place. You stopped though as you felt his hands doing the same thing. You stood frozen in place as you stared at him in shock. When he was finished, one of his hands lightly ran down your arm.
"Beautiful." he quietly stated with a soft smile.
Feeling your face heat up, you swallowed once more. "Uh... th-thanks." That's when you noticed how close the two of you were standing to each other and you awkwardly took a step back.
"Hey!" Nenita joined you and she smiled at Yongguk before briefly glancing at you. "Let's grab some drinks." Then she took Yongguk's hand and indicated for you to follow as she led the man into the house.
You hesitated for a moment before following after them. There were a few people in the entryway and you smiled at them when they waved at you. You continued onward to the kitchen.
Nenita helped herself to two drinks, passing one of them to Yongguk. "Here you go."
"Thank you." he replied as he took the offering. Then he grabbed another cup and held it out to you.
You wordlessly took it, only giving him a small smile as a thank you. You started to take a drink but stopped real fast when Yongguk hit his cup against yours.
"To your birthday." he toasted with a little smirk.
Blushing again, you thanked him and then turned away.
"Can you believe she doesn't want to do anything for her birthday?"
You quickly turned back to face Nenita in surprise. You watched as she moved closer to Yongguk and smiled sweetly at him. "Maybe you and I should plan a little something together anyways."
"That actually sounds good." He moved one of his feet back and then leaned backwards, making himself more comfortable but also putting some distance between him and Nenita.
"Guys." you groaned. "Really, don't. It's fine." You sipped on your drink and noticed Nenita giving you a look. A look you've seen before. "I'm going to go enjoy myself, and that includes not hearing any more birthday talk." You spun around and headed toward the doorway. You meant to keep walking but curiosity got the better of you and you glanced back at your friends. Nenita was still talking earnestly with Yongguk, but then he turned his head. Your gazes met for a brief second before you turned and hurried away.