3 Meetings part 2

Crazy Adventure

Alice's mother Jimin got home late after having discussed the costumes with the boys for hours. JYP couldn't help but be curious so he intruded on them in the middle of the discussion. It wasn't that bad though, because he was directly informed of the plan and of course invited as well. Jimin was almost worried, because the apartment was still dark and no one was home. When she came into the kitchen there was a note hanging on the fridge: "Hey mom, dad and I are eating dinner at the restaurant you two frequented back in college, so come find us." Alice's mother smiled at the memories. Although back then no one except her husband and JYP were on her side or at least respected her decisions it was a great time. Her husband and JYP were best friends back then and they probably still were. JYP was the only who had supported the couple, although they never told anyone, because it would have been bad for his reputation. "It's great to be back together, the three of us and now we all couldn't care less about everyone else. We have built up a lot and deserve to act upon our wishes.", Jimin thought and was finally able to accept that being herself was for the best. Especially for Alice she had to be supportive and show her that it wasn't a bad thing to be herself. So Jimin turned around and went to meet her family.

She arrived at the little restaurant just around the corner and saw her girl for the first time this week in a black and red ripped up dress that looked like a ball gown. Alice had painted her nails black and styled her hair as if the hair dryer had exploded and there were spiders all over her head. "You look great, just like a real vampire princess.", Jimin greeted her daughter. Alice turned around and smiled brightly with sparkling eyes deep red lipstick and shiny and sharp fake teeth in . Jimin's husband also smiled as he said: "It was about time. After all today is Tuesday and Halloween is coming up on Saturday, so she already left out three days’ worth of monster outfits." Jimin loved James he was the best. He knew both Alice and Jimin had been on edge and he was the one who eased Jimin into finally giving up on earning back her family's respect. Now she realized that her worries about Alice weren't necessary, because she herself just had to find a way to deal with the stuff and be herself again, so Alice could follow her lead. Jimin sat down next to her husband and was greeted by questioning looks. She didn't say anything, so Alice began to ask: "Mom, what took you so long? Even dad was home earlier than you." Her mom smiled and answered: "Well, first I found a new studio, then I looked for boutiques, but didn't find any. Instead I met an old friend. The only one who accepted the relationship between your father and I. Oh and I found a new job or something like that. I'm not sure yet. Once I know more I'll tell you all about it." James smiled and knew what she was talking about, at least a little more than Alice did. "So you're now working with one of my best friends. Interesting. Really interesting. I'll have to tell him to give you hell. Oh and I have great news!", James told his family. Alice was excited, great news were something she always liked to hear. "Tell us! Is it about the company? Can I quit school and just start working?", Alice joked around. Her dad just shook his head: "No, I guess my news aren't that great. But to tell you the truth, I found it. The perfect birthday present for you." "Oh that sounds awesome!", Jimin agreed: "Alice you better be ready!" "You don't have to worry about me, at least not that much. I wasn't noticed or got into trouble today, so I guess I might just be fine.", Alice assured her parents.

The next few days flew by Alice was mostly alone at home because her mom had to finish up some business. Then it was already Friday and her dad picked her up after school, so they could go to the airport and meet her grandma and uncle again. It was a happy reunion and Alice loved being in her grandma's arms again. "I've missed you guys! It's different to wake up and have the kitchen right around the corner, but then there is so much missing, like the scent of pancakes and bacon. Or the noise of an ongoing discussion about whether to buy something or rather invest in it. It's really strange.", Alice babbled. Her grandma nodded: "It is strange for us as well. I still wake up in the morning and pass by your room, just to see whether you are already awake or still asleep. And furthermore there is no music or dancing or anything like that." Alice smiled and decided to never let her grandma leave. "What are grinning about?", Joe inquired. Alice shook her head: "Nothing really." So her uncle picked her up and carried her upside down over his shoulder. "So I will have to take you with me for questioning", he said and ran across the parking lot. Alice started to giggle and just couldn't stop.

Her uncle put her back on the ground and kneeled before her when he asked: "So? What have you been up to? Any new songs? Or great business ideas?" Alice shook her head: "No great ideas at least not business related ones. But I'm going to tell you a secret, grandma won't go back to LA with you. Not unless I come with you all. Just so you know. Oh and my music is great I even earned a few bucks at the beginning of the week." Joe nodded and smiled. His worries were washed away and he knew he had to stay with his family. After all they had lived that way for 20 years and even moved twice together in LA because all of them couldn't even stand to be so far apart from each other when they were neighbors. Who had thought this Korea and LA thing could work? "So you earned a few bucks. I'm so proud! But I thought those kind of things weren't allowed here. Or not really appreciated.", Alice's uncle wondered. Alice nodded in agreement: "Mom said just not to get caught and dress up unrecognizable so I went full on monster style or to be exact vampire style. The bucks I made were mostly from tourists, but who cares?" Alice was so happy to tell the one person in her family which knew more about music than she herself did. Then her smile faded into seriousness: "Isn't there any way you could stay as well? Just like grandma? I'm positive the main office does fine on its own, you are rarely there as it is, since you prefer working from home. So does it actually matter?" Joe smiled his niece always thought things through and as it was she was on the same page as he himself. But he wouldn't let his niece know now, it was supposed to be the best birthday present ever, so Joe had no choice but stay quiet.

When they arrived back in the apartment it was a happy reunion with Jimin being home early for the happy occasion. "Wow Jimin this place looks great, but where are the decorations? We won't be able to get everything ready for the party in time.", Alice's grandma stated the obvious. Jimin looked down at the floor and admitted: "Well mom, tomorrow morning before the actual party my parents are going to be here. They want to meet Alice and James, so we can't put up the decorations before they leave." Jimin looked up into the older woman's eyes and added: "As you can see it is already way to crowded with just us being here, so I wanted to ask you and Joe to leave tomorrow morning and maybe you could pick up some stuff for the party, so we might still be able to finish everything in time?" Jimin smiled at her family and only Alice looked shocked: "No way! No way, no way, no way!" Alice shook her head and looked at the grown-ups. They all had a thoughtful look on their faces. It wasn't supposed to be like this. "No way! I didn't get into trouble this week I gave my everything trying to make friends, but you are still trying to punish me?", Alice was furious and couldn't believe what was happening. "That's not it.", her father was trying to explain: "Actually they aren't the only ones leaving. I won't be here as well. Please don't be angry, but if I met those people again there would be a massacre. I hope they will behave themselves in front of you. And as I told you I have the perfect birthday present, but I still need help with it and your mom's present needs a little more work, so please let us have the morning to spend some time on them. We will give you the best Halloween party ever." Alice still looked a bit dejected after hearing her dad, but she knew he had good intentions and she couldn't wait for the party. So she hoped to get the morning over with as fast as possible. She looked at her mom: "Alright. I guess I'm old enough to get the importance of tomorrow's meeting, but so you know I will wear a great dress. Not sure which one, but it will be worth being the first Halloween dress here in Korea and even though they come here for breakfast we will serve bloody pancakes and a spooky pumpkin pie. There can't be any discussion about those or I will just leave together with Dad, grandma and Uncle Joe." Alice's mom smiled and nodded those were demands that were still reasonable. It was a first that nothing was decorated and Jimin knew how important Halloween became in this family, mostly due to Alice and of course due to her father in law who loved monsters and horror so he had raised his granddaughter to love it just as much in the two years they had together. Back then he was sick and the doctors thought of it as a miracle that he lived on for two whole years, but everyone in the family knew it was thanks to Alice and his wish to teach her. So even though it was the first Halloween in Korea and so many changes tomorrow the troubles if the last few weeks will be forgotten. There were so many surprises and so much they wanted Alice to see, feel and have.

"So, should we start baking? Otherwise the pumpkin pie won't be ready by midnight.", Granny asked her family. Everyone nodded and they all followed their long rehearsed practice. It was just like every year, although it was really cramped to be working in the small kitchen with all 5 of them. "I know we all missed each other, but this is definitely more skin ship than I'm able to work with.", Joe said after making a mess due to a run in with James while cleaning up. The brothers looked at each other and started laughing, Alice joined in while declaring: "Since the kitchen is way too small, you two should clean everything up and we will have a girl talk in the living room." "Oh yes! Great idea!", Jimin and Granny agreed and so they left the boys to do the cleaning.

"So I get why you guys are leaving tomorrow morning. It really would be a disaster with all of us here.", Alice started: "So I've been thinking: Since it seems like we're going to be living here for a while, how about looking for a more permanent place to live?" Jimin and Granny exchanged looks that seemed to know something but Alice wasn't able to identify what exactly it was. "Other than that, mom where are the decorations? I haven't seen all the boxes since we bought them.", Alice asked. Jimin chuckled: "You just told us how cramped it is here and suggested a move. Of course I stored the boxes somewhere else, so they wouldn't take up even more of the little space we have here." "Oh, that was a good idea.", Alice agreed. Then they went on and talked about school and whether the subjects are alright or not.

As midnight arrived the pumpkin pie was ready, so they took him out of the oven and they sang Happy Birthday for Alice. Then Joe "This is Halloween" by Marilyn Manson and they all sang along and Jimin got out a package, which she gave to Alice: "I'm sure you will know what to do with it.", She said. Alice opened it and was amazed by the beautiful dress inside. "No way! This isn't just a dress! It's a gown!", Alice shouted: "It's the perfect dress for today! I'm going to be a zombie bride once again." Alice turned into a tornado and jumped and danced through the living room while planning her hair and makeup out loud. When she was done with her plan she calmed down a little and they all went to sleep.

When Alice woke up it was finally the most important day of the year and she couldn't wait for the party tonight, although she knew, that the party wouldn't be as big as it was before, since now it really was just her and her family, but it would be a great party. She greeted her family in the kitchen and couldn't hold in her laughter when she saw how cramped it was and how everyone tried to stay out of the other's way and they all just failed miserably. "Oi, don't just stand there, go get ready! My parents will be here in about an hour and I'm kicking those guys out now anyway.", Jimin exclaimed. Alice nodded and waved all of them: "See you later guys. I think it will be a great start today." Alice grinned as she walked back to her room and got ready for the day.

Mark woke up and realized it was Halloween already, when he saw his and JB's outfits hanging ready to be worn. How could this week go by so fast? He got up and was the first one awake, so he went into the kitchen, to start the coffee machine. While waiting for the coffee to be ready he got to thinking about this past week and somehow felt a little anxious. Did he change after coming to Korea? Back in LA Alice was so full of life the two always got into trouble. "Go big or go home." Was what her Grandpa used to tell them, before he died and it was a quest they always tried to fulfil. After meeting Jimin again he realized that she didn't change at all, but what about Alice did she change? He hoped not, but he couldn't be sure, maybe it would be better if she had changed, because he had. "I did change, but was it for the better?", Mark thought. The more he thought about it the more he was sure he was way more boring now than ever before. Since coming to Korea he noticed so many changes even in his band mates. Especially in Yugeum and JB. Yugeum got so big and became a trouble maker, it was fun, but was it really a change for the better? JB on the other hand definitely changed for the better he wasn't as hot tempered as before, well he still was, but he could control the side way better now.

A cup of coffee was placed in front of Mark, which woke him up from his thoughts and stare up into JB's smiling face. "Good morning. It's rare to see you up earlier than me, but I guess without a coffee you are still sleeping even if your eyes are open.", JB greeted him. Mark took a sip of the coffee and then shook his head: "Not actually dreaming. I was just lost in my own thoughts. And good morning to you too." JB nodded: "You've been doing that a lot lately. Especially this last week. So how about telling me what you came up with while thinking for so long? Like I said before, you're more than just a wall for us to lean on." JB smiled reassuringly and Mark felt like it really could be a good idea to talk. Maybe he could see things more clearly after saying them out loud. Mark stood up and nodded for JB to follow him. "I think talking might be a really good idea, so let's do it somewhere the others won't hear us.", Mark said as he went back to his and JB's room. They sat down on JB's bed and drank their coffees, as JB patiently waited for the older boy to start. "I'm not sure how to start this, but I'll try.", Mark finally said after some time. "So I've been thinking about change this last few days. You see since Alice wrote me I remembered a lot of things that I had almost forgotten. Back the in LA we always got into trouble somehow, but we still had a lot of fun and I always thought that no matter what it would be great not to change a thing. Then I got into K-pop and Jimin helped me so much. I've been thinking what Alice might be like after all these years and I didn't know how to reply. Then Jimin showed up and she hasn't changed a bit, so I believe Alice didn't either." Mark paused and waited for a response, any response at this time, since he realized he didn't even know where he was going with all this ranting. JB just looked into the space between the two of them for a while, as if he was dreaming and Mark wondered whether he did the right choice in trying to confide in the younger boy next to him. Mark looked away until he heard JB taking a deep breath. He looked up to the younger boy, who smiled at him and finally spoke: "Yeah, so that's what has been going on in your head. Well I get it, a little at least. Change is always a difficult topic. I guess you are worried that you've changed and that now you and Alice won't get along. But I think there are two things you are forgetting: First: She wrote you and after everything Jimin told us I really believe she actually is a fan and so I'm sure she already knows a few things about you and how you might have changed. And the second thing is: This past week you have already changed more than you might expect or think. Since Jimin appeared you've opened up more. Sometimes you've looked very worried this week, but I get why it has been like that. So after everything I heard about the two of you I believe it'll be just fine, so don't worry too much about unnecessary things." JB smiled at Mark and reassuringly put his arm around the older boy. Mark looked at JB and had to giggle, which made JB scuff: "Oi, I'm trying my best here, just so you know." Mark smiled and nodded: "I know and I'm really glad. To tell you the truth I'm not just worried, about what she might think or say, but also about whether my change is for better or for worse. I see all of you and realize "Wow, they all changed somehow, ever since I met them." Like Yugeum, he's our maknae and he will always be that, but he grew up. Jaebum even you, you changed so much, I even think you changed the most. You definitely changed for the better as well. You have always been perceptive, but your temper always got in the way of solving a problem. Now you can hold it back way better, so I guess I'm just not sure whether my change was actually for better or not. Because I feel like I changed back then when I got here and I kind of feel stuck in that way." JB shook his head: "You're imagining things. You have changed and especially this past week since Jimin got here you changed so much and so fast and I hope to see more of the guy that appeared with Jimin. And so you know, I have a hunch that Alice will bring out a better you than anyone here could dream of." JB smiled widely and Mark laughed. "Well if she is still the same as back then you will be right. And I guess you all will like her and maybe even more." JB laughed out loud and said: "It's a good thing then that you can call dibs." Now even Mark had to laugh, then there was a knock on the door and Jackson yelled: "Yah, Mark-hyung, Jaebum-hyung don't you think we should have fun together? Also I hope you two are getting ready! JYP-nim called to remind us that under no circumstances we ought to be late." The boys shut up, looked at each other then they looked at the watch and both cursed as they hurried up and got ready.

Mark was somehow relieved when he saw how everyone had gotten ready and they all seemed excited to finally meet Alice. Even JYP went out of his way to organize everything. He had told the group that they should all be ready two hours earlier than Jimin had thought would be necessary. "Just in case, because I know Jimin, her parents and I definitely know how Alice will react to their insults. I just hope she only is half as bad as her father.", he had said and seemed even more excited to meet her. Mark still had the feeling that JYP was still planning something more, but he couldn't say for sure.

"So how do I look?", Alice asked her mom after she had finished. Jimin turned around and was stunned. The gown fit perfectly, as she had expected. It was a white gown layered with black and grey ornaments to make it look older and a little dirty. It was ripped up at some places and now there were blood splatters added. Alice black hair was scary and she had spiders clipped in, a lot of spiders. Her make-up was pale and she had wound on her forehead and there was a spider crawling out of it as well. "Gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous! Let me take a picture!", Jimin shouted in excitement. She took out her phone and took a picture, which she immediately shared via WhatsApp with the whole family and with JYP and Got7, just in case so they would know what Alice looked like. JYP immediately replied in a private chat: "She looks as gorgeous as ever my little goddaughter, I can't wait to finally meet her!" "The picture is great! I'll share it with Uncle J as well oh and picture of our first Korean spooky pumpkin pie!", Alice said as she made her way to the kitchen. Jimin chuckled and thought: "Some traditions seem to stick even here. It'll be a big eventful Halloween this year." "Alice sweetheart, there is one more thing: Don't talk Korean and feign ignorance while my parents are here, please. I want to see their true nature.", She told her daughter while walking towards the kitchen. Alice nodded and smiled reassuringly.

The doorbell rang and Jimin went to let her parents in. They greeted her and looked around the apartment as Jimin lead them into the living room. "Welcome to our home, now this is your granddaughter Alice.", Jimin introduced Alice. Alice smiled and held out her hand, but no one tried to accept it, so Alice took it back and said in English: "Welcome to our home! I hope you found your way here alright. It is nice to finally meet you. I bet you are hungry, just follow me to the kitchen everything is ready." With that Alice turned around and made her way towards the kitchen. Her grandparents were still stunned and didn't move. So Alice just went ahead and filled the cups with coffee and placed a slice of the pumpkin pie on every plate. Then she heard a bit of commotion as her grandfather had found his voice again, so Alice curiously went back towards the living room and overheard her grandfather saying: "Jimin this can't be real! That girl is unacceptable! You should sever all ties with those people! Just as I said before we should have just gotten rid of that thing when there was still time to do so." Alice was shocked, she had known it wouldn't be a nice meeting, but she didn't imagine it to be that bad. "Oh no, don't you dare to insult my child. She is a great kid and you don't know anything about her and neither do you care to.", Jimin defended Alice. Now Jimin's mother spoke up: "Oh dear Jimin. You should know by now that there is no future for this family right? You don't have a name for yourselves, you don't have money to afford a place to live, so you are staying in this dump and your daughter she is worse than I had expected and I didn't expect anything. Just leave them here and come back to our house with us. We can provide you with everything and still find you a nice husband. You're not that stupid, so we can still fix all these mistakes." Jimin was so shocked, she didn't know, what to say. How could her mother call everything she had built a mistake, just because her mother didn't know anything of what she had accomplished. Alice couldn't hold back anymore when she saw how hurt Jimin was and so she let her temper take over. Alice switched to Korean and yelled: "Don't you dare insult my family! You don't know anything about us anyway. This place is not a dump! It might be small, but it is a lot more than what some people have! You never cared to get to know us, but believe me in a few weeks you will be back here and beg for us to acknowledge you as family. Now leave! And just so you know this is only temporarily our home, because you didn't want to be our host when we got here and we just hate to live in a hotel for more than one or two nights. You hurt my mom back then, which lead to her leaving you guys and now you hurt her once more and this time it is even worse. But this time we are here to protect her. So leave and don't come back. With this all ties are now severed!" Alice had pushed her grandparents out the front door while yelling all those things and she finally slammed the door shut in their faces.

When Alice turned around Jimin smiled brightly and hugged her. "Oh dear!", Jimin said: "Today is Halloween, our most important day in the year. And for the second time in my life you're giving me the best present I could have wished for!" Alice hugged her mom. It felt nice to be so close and to see her happy again, although she talked a lot of weird stuff. "Well mom, it's nice that you think this way, but I never got you any present for Halloween, I even just got rid of your parents and severed all ties with them.", Alice shook her head confused. Jimin started laughing. Her daughter was so much like her father and somehow just like Jimin herself. How could she ever leave that girl and how could she have tried to change her before? When all she apperently needed was closure with her own parents. Jimin hugged Alice once more and gave her a kiss on the forehead before explaining: "You my dear Alice, you were the first present I received on Halloween 20 years ago and now you gave me the closure I needed to realize how great my life actually is and that I haven't missed anything. You guys all gave me so much love! It was so much more than I had ever received back here. And I just know that it'll stay this way forever, because that is just how our family works. Giving and receiving love from each other and facing every hardship together and head on." Alice grinned widely and ahouted: "Go big or go home!" The two of them giggled and Jimin assured Alice: "Oh yes, we did just that, so the whole world be ready for us to come." "Yes mom, I think we were loud enough, for them to hear us coming. So now let's call the others and get the party started!", Alice concluded excitedly. “Alright but first we have to eat and then you will have to look at this before we go on with anything else." Jimin said and handed an envelope to Alice. "And before your curiosity takes over let's eat and I have to make a short call, so please go ahead and clean up the extra plates that aren't needed anymore." Alice nodded and made her way towards the kitchen.

"Hey JYP sorry! But we have a problem! Alice kicked my parents out! We will be finished here way earlier than expected and I don't know how I could hold her up here.", with those words JYP was greeted after picking up his phone. "And a good morning to you too, Jimin.", he began: "So I guess you finally got your closure you needed. I knew my goddaughter could do it. Was her temper worse than her father's? Oh I can't wait to see how she will interact with JB!" JYP and Jimin chuckled at the thought of Alice and JB fighting each other. "Oi, don't change the topic! What are we going to do?", Jimin snapped back to the problem at hand. "Oh don't worry! Everything is ready. Well almost everything at least. Mark and JB are already in position. The others will be ready shortly as well. Other than that there's only decorations left to be done, but don't worry I'm seeing James and Joe coming up the driveway right now. So everything should work out fine. Now go eat fast and get your here, I want to meet my goddaughter.", JYP explained the situation. Jimin sighed in relief: "Thank you! You're the best! I will hurry, so don't worry." With that they ended the conversation and Jimin made her way towards the kitchen.