Five Words

Confessions of a Buddy

It was a long day, finally we just wrapped up the filming of MG in London. It was a bittersweet experience. Fun albeit exhausting but I will treasure every memory that this drama has given me. Especially him.

 

"Yue, let me go grab some coffee first while we wait for the wrap up party. Do you need anything else?" My manager asked.

 

"No. Just coffee. I just want to rest my head for awhile."

 

"Okay. I'll leave you to it. Just be ready by 7, the dinner's at 8. Ms. Angie reserved one of the hotel's hall for the party."

 

I weakly nodded as my eyes slowly drifted close. I vaguely heard my door shut as my manager left.

 

I don't know how long was I asleep but I jolted awake from a vivid dream. More like a memory.

 

"I'll never forget you..." the faint sound of his voice in my head kept repeating even in my dream. If it weren't for the exhaustion, I would have dwelled on what Didi said to me during our filming a few hours ago.

 

I found the cup of coffee on the bedside table. And judging by the coolness of it once I tried to get a sip, I was really out for a few hours. I checked my phone and noticed that it was only 2pm. We filmed the entire night and just finished at 8 in the morning.

 

It was a miracle I was able to focus because what Dylan said totally jarred my composure. I don't know what has gotten on his head to say that while we were rehearsing for the hotpot scene. It was a really heavy moment, and we had to prepare ourselves. But Dylan being the immature kid that he is keeps on messing around.

 

But his immaturity was replaced by a serious guy, his eyes though always intense stared intently at me.

 

He suddenly turned to me and said "I will never forget you." as if confessing for his life.

 

Damn him. Five words. Five words enough to almost break the careful mask that I've formed, on the moments that I get myself in situations where I ALMOST, ALWAYS fall for his charm.

 

This time, it was really hard to find that mask again. I checked the script once again just to be sure that what he said was not part of our lines. I didn't find it. I fidgeted and chuckled nervously, and just said whatever came to my mind.

 

"Ay, Auntie, he'll pay for the food!" as if asking for the bill. Great Shen Yue, great comeback. You deserve a freaking standing ovation.

 

I watched Dylan's face and wondered if I really saw him grimaced just before he laughed playfully on my joke. But his eyes, it still held that intensity that I never saw on him before. It's like London transformed him, and somehow I wanted him to just be the raucous Didi that I know. Because this Dylan, this guy in front of me is making me feel things that a girl should never feel towards someone she treats as a sibling. We were still locked on a staring contest, me trying to dissipate the tension, him as if trying to analyze every portion of my face.

 

Luckily one of the staff shouted "DaoMing si, Shancai, ready for take!" And so the spell was broken. I badly wanted to reply that I also felt the same. But I don't know the kind of feelings to associate with it.

 

I knew he said it because of the bond and friendship that we formed along the way. We're buddies now. But if those words was said by me, I fear he will also hear the feelings that I'm desperately trying to hide. And I don't know if I could mask those words on top of my countenance. I know he will notice even a subtle change. It's too much for me, that I decided not to reply.

 

We were able to film, for me, was the heaviest part of Meteor Garden. The 'hotpot scene' because it wasn't just Shancai saying goodbye to Ah Si. There was a part of me there, saying goodbye to Dylan. I poured all of my emotions to that scene because once this all ends, once the promotions and other MG related activities is done, I know we'll go back to our own lives. That's the life of an actor. So I decided to lock that farewell together with that scene. Because although he said that he'll never forget me, there will come a time that I will just be that, a part of his memory. And that's what pains me the most. He will never forget me, but will only now remember me, if he remembers me at all.

 

"Great take! That was a good one Yue and Didi! What a great way to end your filming. You guys keeps getting better and better!"

 

Dylan and I stood up from the table meeting Ms. Angie half way. She hugged the both of us.

 

"I'm so proud of the both of you! I knew it the moment I saw you both on the script reading that you would really give justice to the characters. I'm excited to show your Daomingsi and Shancai to the audience."

 

"Thank you Ms. Angie. It has been an honor for choosing me to be Shancai. I really enjoyed working with you and the other actors as well." I told her. Tears threatening to fall.

 

"Me too! I never really thought I could play such a character for my first drama role. Thank you for giving me this chance." Dylan said stepping away to get a better look at her.

 

"You kids are making me cry! I may have chosen you, but you gave life to the characters. And you made it even better. Now give me a hug again!"

 

We hugged her both tears streaming from my eyes. I look to my left and saw Dylan also had tears. He wiped my tears and I smiled.

 

"That's a wrap everyone! Be ready for the wrap up party later. We're gonna celebrate the Daoming way!" Ms. Angie clapped her hands while walking away from us.

 

Dylan turned to me, his eyes still had the same emotions I can't understand. " Good work, Shancai!" he grinned like a boy while patting my head. Eyes now filled with hidden mischiefs.

 

This. This is the Dylan I know. " Good work, Daoming si!" I lightly punched him on his arm as we both proceeded towards the hotel. Each walking towards our own way. I breathed deep knowing I've locked my feelings together with Shancai.