Fourth Cut

Written In The Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

He looked at the droopy figure of his friend on the couch as he prepare their tea. The older still hasn't talked since he barged into his room that morning, crying his heart out about something Jongdae doesn't have a clue about (or maybe he does), no matter how hard Jongdae tried to coach him so he let him be, the other will tell him eventually. He brought the two mugs of tea with him and settled one on the coffee table in front of them as he took his seat beside the elder and drank from his mug.

 

Silence settled the both of them with nothing but Baekhyun's sniffles. Jongdae waited patiently for who knows how long, but all he heard from his friend were either sniffles or his dejected sighs. He’s just glad he already called in sick for the both of them so they don't have to worry about work or class.

 

He put his empty mug on the table (the other one still untouched) and leaned back on the couch watching the ceiling mindlessly. He felt a pressure on his right a few moments later and looked to see his friend leaning on him before bringing his gaze back on the ceiling.

 

“Are you ready to talk about it?” he asked and was answered after a few beats.

 

“…yeah…”

 

 

He waited for the other to compose himself before talking, and when he did, he finally understood why his friend was that devastated.

 

“He's not in my dream, Dae.” He heard the crack in the other's voice and brought his arm around the elder to give him even a bit of comfort. He's at lost at what to say so he kept mum and tried to console his friend silently.

 

“It's been years already, why does he have to disappear now?” he asked as a fresh batch of tears ran down his cheeks.

 

Jongdae tried so hard to formulate words that will appease his best friend but he is coming up blank as he has his own question that he needs to be answered.

 

“You met Park Chanyeol yesterday, right?” a nod “remember during the first few weeks we talked about it and thought this will stop the moment you meet each other? Maybe that’s why he’s not in your dreams anymore, because you can already see him when you’re awake.” He explained, and Jongdae admittedly felt a bit proud of himself at his deductions.

 

“But Daedae he’s not the owner of the phone number” is the mumbled reply he received.

 

“What?”

 

“He’s not the owner of the phone number” Baekhyun repeated as he straightened up to look at his friend’s confused face. He sighed and explained everything that happened the day before.

 

 

 

 

“Okay. So the owner of the phone number is boyfriend of Park Chanyeol’s secretary – this Sehun guy you said” Jongdae was pacing in front of the couch where his friend remained seated “but the man on your dream, as we have established long before, is Park Chanyeol, correct?” he saw the other nod slowly “What if the owner of the number and the man on your dream are actually two different people though?”

 

Jongdae can see the hesitation on his best friend’s face and he sighed to himself.

 

“Are you seriously doubting Park Chanyeol after all these months of literally stalking the guy?”

 

He saw his friend flushed at the accusation but the answering silence and the look on his friend’s face were enough of an answer for him. He pulled the other on his embrace.

 

“I don't get you, you know that? You obviously want Park Chanyeol so why still holding yourself for the owner of a wrong number that you've only talked to once?”

 

“Cause all this time I thought their the same person; now, I'm doubting myself because I might've envisioned a different person on my dream. I don't even know anymore.” He can hear the distraught on the other's voice.

 

“Look, Baekkie, I think you should try to check first the owner of that phone number. He'll drive you to insanity like this.”

 

“What should I even say? And it would be awkward to ask Luhan-ssi to meet his boyfriend, you know?” the other pouted and he groaned.

 

“I don't even know why we're stressing about this; it's like one of them is your ex that you can't get over with and the other is your current boyfriend.” He received a weak punch for that remark “ But I'm serious, Baekhyun, straight out this issue and get a closure on your prince’s identity. Park Chanyeol is still your client, and the other is his secretary's boyfriend, it will be detrimental for your career if you get involved with any funny business with them.” He can see the other biting on his lower lip as he contemplate his words, he held the elder’s shoulders and held his gaze

 

“Promise me that when you found out that none of them are prince you'll stop looking for him.” He can see as the other's eyes moisten again at his words “Promise me, Baek. Cause as your best friend I won't  let you wreck yourself like this for someone that might not even be real.” He said sincerely, and along with the first tear the other nod in affirmation.

 

“Alright… I'll settle this obsession of mine soon... for yo—”

 

“For you”

 

“What?”

 

“Do it for you; for yourself, Baekhyun-ah, not for anybody else. Do it for your own peace.”

 

Baekhyun look at his friend, trying to convey everything he can't utter at that moment.

 

“Okay… I'll do it for myself.” Is his whispered response.

 

 

 

---

 

 

It has been a week after the dinner and Baekhyun was been tasked to send a revised copy of the contract with Blue Diamond for something he didn’t even bother to know. He was praying so hard that the Chairman won't be in the office again when he get there since he's not yet ready to face the other.

 

The day after their unexpected time off, he was bombarded with endless teasing from everyone in their office about how he was coddled like a child by the Chairman’s secretary, and most importantly, going back from the balcony after dessert time with Chairman Park with a beet red face. He remembered the wolf whistles once he entered the office vicinity that day.

 

He groaned to himself upon the remembrance of that day as he strolled inside Blue Diamond for the second time in his life. He smoothly got his pass and went straight for the elevator, a tall man waved at him from outside the closing elevator doors and he immediately pressed the hold button for the other.

 

“Thanks” the other panted, hands on his knees to catch his breath, not yet noticing the wide-eyed look his compani

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter