Chapter 8

Fantasy of a Vampire

There was no doubt about it. It was finally time. The five beings got into a V formation as they heard the howls approaching them. A pack usually had 20 wolves, but when they were affected, all of the zombie werewolves would form a pack together. At that moment, Jinki and Minho were the strongest in the group and were going to lead the attack. Stretching his aura all around the area, Kibum was able to form a sort of screen so the wolves wouldn't be able to see them. Bracing themselves mentally, they waited for the wolves to attack. Less than five minutes later, they could see around 50 wolves snarling and rushing towards them. As Kibum had expected, although their vision was not clear, these wolves clearly relied on their superior and heightened sense of smell to pinpoint the location of all the beings. Minho and Jinki continued to hurl fire and light at the wolves and managed to slow them down for a while when they suddenly changed direction and seemed to focus only on Taemin. The gentle water sprite was the easiest to scent. Although he kept pushing them away with waves, they just kept advancing on him.

"Kibum, can you stretch your aura over Taemin? They seem to be sensing only him"

"They seem to be a lot stronger than we thought, Jonghyun. We won't be able to destroy them at all"

"If we can just hold them off till the blood moon is over, that would be more than enough"

"They're too strong. When we cut off their vision, they're using their hearing and sense of smell"

"Not for long"

Jonghyun sent a mind strike to the wolf closest to Taemin and watched as it stopped in its tracks. Maybe, just maybe he could be able to hypnotize it. He slowly crept into the wolf's brain to hypnotize it into stopping the attack but failed as the wolf wasn't in control of its actions. He continued to send mind strikes until he was finally able to hit the part that controlled the olfactory senses, which made the wolf fall, spread-eagled to the ground, and unable to move. Although these effects weren't lasting, this would hold them off for a long time. From the corner of his eye, he could see Jinki and Minho fighting side by side, with both resorting to physical attacks as well as their powers. It warmed his heart to see those who were natural enemies, fighting together and protecting each other. He continued to use mind strikes for a few more wolves until he felt a headache like he'd never experienced before.

Minho saw around five wolves lying motionless by Taemin's feet, and spotted Jonghyun on his knees, with his head in his hands. Shooting more beams of fire, he rushed to his side.

"Jonghyun, are you alright?"

"Mind strikes work on these wolves, but they're too strong in their current state. If they're a lot weaker, I will easily be able to turn off their olfactory senses and stun them from inside"

Jinki's knuckles were raw and bloody, as he continued to wreak havoc on the werewolf army. With his strength, he was the only one who was able to get as close as possible to the wolves and strike them directly, without getting too injured. Feeling a light spray of water on his face, he turned around to find Jonghyun on his knees.

"Jonghyun-ah"

"Don't worry about me. Just keep attacking. I've figured out how to stun them"

By now, more than half of the wolves were weakened significantly from the injuries they had sustained, but the rest of them were still strong. Once again, using their combined powers, Minho, Taemin, and Jinki continued to strike. Panting, they looked around them to see that all the wolves were now on the ground, struggling to stand up. Immediately, Jonghyun stood up and used up the last of his strength in sending a group strike to all the minds, thereby rendering them unconscious.

Immensely worried, Jinki caught Jonghyun as he swayed and almost fell.

"You've done well, Jonghyun-ah. Now, rest. I will watch over you always"

Smiling weakly, Jonghyun tucked a strand of Jinki's hair behind his ear.

"I know, Jinki-ah. I love you. Always have, always will"

The five of them huddled together on the grass with Jonghyun snuggling close to Jinki, watching the blood moon fade to its normal color. Things would now slowly get back to normal, and those injured werewolves would soon be able to control themselves. For the next 50 odd years or so, the forest and its beings would be safe.

Slipping an arm around Minho's waist, Taemin pulled him closer and rested his head onto his shoulder.

"We make a great team, don't we?"

"Yes, we do. All five of us. Together"