Chapter 5

Fantasy of a Vampire

Jinki could feel himself growing weaker, especially since there was no more sun. If he had to stay alive, he needed to feed immediately. It was beginning to get increasingly difficult for him to keep dodging their teamed attacks. The worst part was the dark mist, which overpowered his feeble beams of light, not allowing him to see a thing. He managed to dodge a lot of the attacks by relying only on his hearing. 

Taemin paid keen attention to the light demon and noticed how he cocked his head to one side and then jumped out of the way when Minho flung a fireball at him. So, the demon has a keen sense of hearing. All they had to do, was increase the noise around them, and that way, he wouldn't be able to escape them. Winking at Minho, he pointed to a tree which had little dark bats hanging from the branches, and grinned at their telepathy when Minho immediately set fire to it.

Surrounded by a dark mass of bats, with their screeching and squeaking all around him, Jinki couldn't focus on his enemies to figure out the direction of their attacks. He fell flat on his back, after taking quite a big hit from the fire fairy. Was this it? Was this how it was all going to end? He closed his eyes and thought of how Jonghyun would manage. Once he was gone, it was just a matter of time before the shadow creature defeated Jonghyun. He'd just discovered his true feelings for Jonghyun and he was about to lose him.

Meanwhile, Jonghyun had completed his hunt, when he spotted that a certain area of the forest had suddenly grown dark. This could only be the work of the shadow creature he had encountered earlier. Filled with foreboding, Jonghyun ran as fast as he could, towards where he'd left a sleeping Jinki. The clearing smelled of smoke. Praying that he wasn't too late, he rushed to the side of Jinki, who lay on the ground, with his eyes fluttering. He saw the three silhouettes, of the other creatures in the forest, who had chosen to attack Jinki when he was alone. He cradled Jinki's body in his arms, with tears streaming down his face, as he raised his face to look at those who had done this to him. As he had expected, it was the work of the shadow creature, but he'd managed to involve a fire fairy and water sprite as well. He wouldn't let them come any closer. He would protect Jinki with his life.

Taemin felt a sudden pang as he watched the vampire rock the demon's body in his arms, his whole body shivering as he sobbed. Had they gone too far? He didn't want to kill the demon but just wanted to hurt him. The demon had a tiny bit of power left, but would definitely not last through the night. He saw the demon raise his hand and touch the vampire's face.

"I don't feel good, my love"

Taemin continued to just stare at the demon whose light started fading again. It was a sure sign of his weakness, which meant that he would die once it faded completely.

"You can't leave me. Take my blood" said the vampire, tears streaming down his face.

Stepping aside to wipe away his own tears, Taemin heard an eerie sound in the distance, as his vision was shrouded in red. Stunned, he glanced at Minho and Kibum whose faces matched his fear.

Minho couldn't believe his eyes, as he looked up at the blood moon. It happened very rarely, but each time it did, it caused the werewolves in the forest to go berserk, almost as if there was someone else controlling them. He remembered the time it had happened last. That was when he had lost his family. Only the light demon was strong enough to battle them, but he was close to death, because of him.

He stepped towards the vampire, who had cut his arm by now and was frantically trying to get out enough blood to save the demon.

"Step aside, vampire"

"You'll have to go through me first"

"I want to help you. Look around you. Tonight is the night of the blood moon. I need the light demon back, more than you do. He's the only one strong enough to help us face those werewolves"

Jonghyun stared at the fire fairy in disbelief. He couldn't believe that he wasn't trying to hurt Jinki anymore. He tried to flex his muscles to allow his blood to flow out faster into Jinki's mouth, but it wasn't enough. He felt a hand on his shoulder and looked into the deep blue eyes of the water sprite.

"You must be tired, vampire. Let me help"

Taemin slashed his wrist and let his sky blue blood join the vampire's into the demon's mouth. This was the only way they could bring the demon's strength back. Both he and the vampire had lost a good amount of blood, but the demon's light still wasn't bright enough. He looked at Minho and Kibum, wondering what they should do next.