Special (2)

Promises

CHAPTER 6


The next morning, Nayoung did not intend to meet Kim Brothers again. She realized that her behavior for the last few days was a bit excessive. She also admitted what Dojae was saying, if she continued following them all the time, she could become their shadow, a shadow that can't be separated. Maybe because Nayoung saw Jonghyun as a perfect figure in her life, she just started to be possessive.

 

This day she didn’t have class, Nayoung decided to spend whole day lounging in her room. However, someone suddenly knocked the door. That was her housemaid telling her that her Dad waiting for her to have breakfast.

Nayoung went downstairs to the dining room, pulled a chair across her Dad, then took a piece of bread and started to put nutella on top of it. There was silent for a moment until her Dad started a  conversation, “You don’t have class for today?”

“Yeah.” Nayoung replied shortly.

“I’ve been thinking about your statement last time.”

Listening to what her Dad saying, Nayoung paused eating but didn’t say anything.

“I think you’re mature enough to live independently, so it’s okay if you start to live alone. Moreover, I have some apartments you can choose.”

Nayoung couldn’t believe what she was hearing. This time, she could only stare right into her dad’s eyes.  

“How? Which apartment you choose?” Her dad asked emotionlessly.

Meanwhile, Nayoung was still silent.

“I thought Lotus is the best choice. It’s located near your college. The buildings and facilities are also quite good. “

This time, Nayoung started to react, “Dad, you--”

“I’ll take care of everything.” Her dad cut her words abruptly. And while pushing back his chair, he added, “You may be able to move this Saturday. You’d better get packing.” That was the last sentence he told Nayoung before going away.

Nayoung was shocked and confused. She was asking to herself, Actually I should be happy to hear that, right? But why do I feel… sad?

 

-00-

Nayoung has repeatedly thought about leaving this house. She thought it would only be a false dream, but when her wish came true, there was a strange feeling that came to her heart.

Do I really want to leave this house?

Do I really want to leave dad?

After all, this house was a part of her life, filled with a memory of her, her dad, and her mom. Once, they ever lived happily in this house.

Yeah, once, years a go.

Nayoung decided to go around her house. It was such a long time she didn’t really ‘enjoy’ her own house. Her mind replayed the first time she and her parents moved to the house.

Years ago, they were very excited to move into this big house. The house that was designated by the famous architect that was hired by Mr. Im special for Mrs. Im. It was Nayoung’s mom dream house, though she never knew that later it would be the hell that she didn’t want to live.

The very first year they moved to the house, they were so happy. They had breakfast and dinner together, watched television show together, and every weekend they swim together in the pool in the back of the house. But later, the busier her dad, the busier her mom to spend her dad’s money. And they started to forget about Nayoung. She started to eat dinner alone. Every weekend, she started to swim alone. She started to do anything by herself. Then, her parents began to quarrel. The more often she heard screams and crying. The more the dream house changed to be the hell.

And when Nayoung remembered the tears she have shed because of her parents, she did think that she better leave this house. Yes, I think Dad is right, I better go.

 

-00 –

 

The next afternoon, Nayoung paused in front of her faculty building. She looked toward the roof of the building where she wanted to jump. Then suddenly she remembered Jonghyun. She missed him. In such an instant, Jonghyun has become the most important person in her life. But then she bend her head down, reminding herself that she shouldn’t burden him.

You are not worth for him, Nayoung ah.. Remember that.

Nayoung shook her head, decided not to think about it and walked into the building. The class went slow and after the last class ended, Nayoung packeed her things and decided to go home. Once she walked out the building, she met Dojae.

"Im Nayoung!"

Nayoung stopped and looked up to the person who called her. She was a bit surprised to see Dojae, but she couldn’t avoid to meet him because Dojae was already approaching her.

"Nayoung ah, why last night you left without saying goodbye?" Dojae asked abruptly.

"Mmm, that time... I got stomachache. So, I immediately went out.“ Nayoung lied

"You didn’t receive my messages?" Dojae looked worry.

"Aaah, my phone was a bit error, so yesterday I deactivated it." Nayoung made an obvious lie.

But Dojae decided to let it go. He sighed and then said, "Call Jonghyun. He was very worried about you. "

Nayoung was silent for a moment. The thought of Jonghyun worrying about her was making her guilty. Softly she replied, "Yes.. I'll call him. "

"Well then, I go..” said Dojae and Nayoung replied with a bow.

But only after few steps, Dojae stopped and called Nayoung, “Nayoung ah.. If you have a problem, don’t hesitate to come to me and Jonghyun.. You have us now..”

With only that words, Nayoung got teary. She was really grateful that Dojae and Jonghyun were worried about her. But then she let out a chuckle. Hish, you’re the one who call me your shadow, now you tell me to come to you? You’re funny, Dojae oppa.

 

-00 –

 

Feeling guilty to Jonghyun, Nayoung decided to call him.

"Hello .."

"Yes, hello. This is Kim Jonghyun. Who am I talking to?"

"Mmm. It’s me. Nayoung. "

"Oh, Nayoung! You're okay, right?” Jonghyun responded quickly.

Knowing that he sounded so worry, Nayoung felt guiltier. "Yeah I'm fine."

"Why’d you go home without saying goodbye?"

"I had a sudden stomachache, so I decided to go home."

"And you went home alone that night?"

"It’s okay, Jonghyun. I'm fine.” Nayoung stopped for a while before saying, “Sorry for making you worry..”

“Yeah, I’m really worried, Nayoung ah.. Don’t do that again.. please tell me if you want to leave so I can grab you a cab, or---”

“Next time, I’ll stay until you finish working.” Nayoung cut Jonghyun’s words to make his heart at ease.

And her move successed, because Jonghyun’s voice started to get lighter. “Yeah, next time I’ll ask Sungjin hyung to sing for you..”

“Well, it doesn’t need to that extent, though..” Nayoung’s reply made Jonghyun laugh.

Nayoung smiled and then decided to tell him the news. “Jonghyun, I’m going to move out from the house.”

“Move out?” He asked in surprise

“Uh-uh. Dad allows me to live at one of his apartments.”

“Wow.. Well, you got what you want, don’t you?” He responded softly.

“Yeah.. I didn’t think it would be that easy.. So, are you free tomorrow?”

"Mmm, yep, I think I don’t have any agenda."

"Can you help me to haul some stuff from my house?”

“Okay, I’ll ask Dojae hyung first..”

"Thank you Jonghyun."

“Okay, see you tomorrow.”

 

Nayoung found herself smiling after she hang up the phone. Even just talking with him on the phone can make her happy. It was really hard for her not to want more. Kim Jonghyun is too nice to avoid.

 

-00 –

 

Clothes, books, all of her stuffs were already packed. Kim Brothers has come and help Nayoung to move some of her stuffs to the car. And then it was time to say goodbye to her dad. Actually it was hard for Nayoung. She even hoped that her dad would be out of town so she didn’t have to say goodbye. But strangely, her dad was in the house the whole day, as if he wanted to spend the time with her daughter for the last time. Both Nayoung and her dad knew that even Nayoung didn’t move out far or it could be said that they still live in the same city, but Nayoung leaving this house represent a freedom her dad finally give to Nayoung. The golden cage was opened, the little birds can start to fly.

But looking at her dad, Nayoung felt something pinched her heart. This day, the emotionless man was disappeared, who was standing in front of her was the father she used to have years a go.

Nayoung walked slowly to her dad, and then said, “Dad, I go…”

While bending his head down, her dad nodded and then softly said, “I’m sorry for everything..”

Nayoung’s heart dropped. This was the first time she heard her dad apologize.

“Don’t hurt yourself anymore, Nayoung ah.. You deserve to live better..” Her dad was saying so softly while looking at Nayoung with a guilty look.

This time, Nayoung was the one who bend her head down. There was so many feelings she felt right at the moment, until she couldn’t look into her dad’s eyes. She nodded, said, “Anyeong…” and walked away without looking back.

 

-00 –

 

On the way to her new apartment, Nayoung couldn’t help to think about her dad. She never expected that her dad would let her free. She never expected that her suicidal attempt would give this huge impact to her dad. She used to know the cold side of her dad, he rarely showed his feelings, but today, she knew that after all the mess happened in the family, her dad still loves her. Her dad wants her to be happy.

 

As the car had arrived at the apartment parking lot, suddenly there were some people who come. It looked like they were already waiting for Nayoung. They were the employees of the apartment who came to help carry her stuffs. And then there was a woman who came to Nayoung and greeted her, “Anyeonghasimnika Nayoung Agassi.. Let me introduce myself. My name is Nam Sanghee. I’m the manager of this apartment. Let me show you your room, Agassi..”

Nayoung, Jonghyun, and Dojae were following her to get inside the apartment. And then the lady continued to tell that Nayoung’s room was ready to occupancy. She also told Nayoung that her room has been specially designed and equipped by facilities that cannot be obtained in another room.

Then, they arrived in the 3rd floor. The lady continued to tell, “Agassi, you know.. Your room is special. This room is a combination of two rooms. Actually the higher the floors, the larger the rooms. But Mr. Kim deliberately instructed us to make this room, special for you. If you are wondering why your father made this room, I couldn’t give the answer..”

Hearing that words, Dojae giggled. Meanwhile Jonghyun and Nayoung could only threw a questioning looks at him.

 

“Well, this is your room, Agassi.” The lady said as they reached her room.

They entered the room and looked around. The room is quite spacious. There are living room completed with audio system for home teacher. There is also a dining table next to the kitchen and also a bathroom. Lady Nam then opened one door while saying, “It’s supposed to be a bedroom, but Mr. Im asked to change it to a student room.

Nayoung entered the room, and found a large desk with a large bookshelves and one comfy sofa.

“The bedroom must be in the room 2?” Dojae suddenly asked a question to Lady Nam.

“Yes, Sir.. You’re right. Let me take you there..” Lady Nam ushered Nayoung and the others back to the kitchen. And there was a door next to it. “This door connects room 1 and room 2.” She said.

That door leads to another room which is Nayoung’s private room. There were a Queen Size bed and large green soft carpet. The kitchen was changed to an ambience off coffee bar. The supposed to be bedroom was changed to a closet, filled with Nayoung’s new dress, watches, and shoes.

Nayoung heaved a sigh and mumbled, “How could he prepare all of this?”

“Woah..” Dojae and Jonghyun was awed when entering the closet. “Are these all brand new?” Dojae asked in disbelief.

“It might be. Mr. Im’s assistant who brought these here..” Lady Nam answered.

Jonghyun’s hand patted Nayoung’s shoulder softly and making Nayoung turning her head. Jonghyun gave a meaningful smile at her and she smiled back. Yes, she was touched by how her dad treating her today.

“Agassi, are you satisfied with the arrangement?” Lady Nam asked Nayoung.

“Ah, yee..” Nayoung nodded and smiled.

"Well, I hope you enjoy your stay here. If there’s anything I could help, please don’t hesitate to ask. Then, excuse me." said Lady Nam before she bowed and went out the room.

 

Right after she left, Dojae observed the room, and then gave comment, “Woah, two rooms into one. Even one room is bigger than ours, Jonghyun ah..”

Jonghyun nodded firmly.

“This room is speciaa~l..” He made a stress in the ‘special’ word with a teasing tone. Nayoung could only glare at him and frowned. Dojae continued, “I know why your dad made this room specia~l for you.”

“Why?” Nayoung simply asked.

“Because he didn’t want to give a room near rooftop. He’s afraid you could jump again.” He said it and laughed out loud.

Nayoung laughed deliberately to show him that she was bothered.

“Hyung, don’t be like that..” Jonghyun tapped his brother to stop the teasing, but he himself was also laughing.

Nayoung looked at Jonghyun in disbelief that he could join his brother to . But then Jonghyun softly caressed her hair while smiling. That simple action could make Nayoung freeze but really happy.

 

Then Kim Brothers started to unpack the books and put it in the shelves, while Nayoung in the other room unpack her clothes. Not long after, they have a break on the sofa. Dojae started to comment again, “Mmm, this room is good, but I feel something’s missing. Something that reflects this room is belongs to you. There should be a photograph or painting.”

“Photo?” Nayoung felt like sh got an idea. She smiled and run towards one of her bag in the other room. She took out the camera and came back to them.

Click. Nayoung took a picture of the handsome Kim Brothers.

“Why’d you take a picture of us?” Jonghyun asked.

“Because you’re all my new family now.” Nayoung said it with smile.

Dojae then stood up, took the camera out of Nayoung’s hands, and asked her to sit next to Jonghyun. “Let me take a picture of both of you.”

Nayoung was somehow pretty nervous sitting next to Jonghyun. And it got worse when Dojae mentioned that, “Don’t be nervous, Im Nayoung.. He’s just Jonghyun.”

Damn. Is that obvious?

Jonghyun even teasingly shifted closer and asked, “Are you nervous?”

Nayoung hit his shoulder softly and smiled.

“Okay, now look at the camera!” Click.

Then, Dojae sat next to Nayoung and took a picture of three of them.

“Smiiiiiilllleee”. Click.

 

[The scene where the three of them smiling happily, while her dad was alone at his house]

#np: Day6 – Days gone by