Who Are You

Promises

CHAPTER 2: Who are you

 

“What if you get a new life, with me?” That guy reached out a hand.

Nayoung stared at that hand. She was questioning what it mean. Is it mean a hope? Is it mean a second chance? She was hesitated. She didn’t trust this world enough.

“I can be the eyes for you to see a better world, ears to listen all of your problem, shoulder to cry on, back to lean on.. You’re not alone.. You won’t be alone.. You’ll have me, in your new better life..”

Nayoung listened to his words earnestly. Then she looked up and saw his eyes. His brown warm eyes that soothed her broken heart, telling her that this time will be different, that this time will be better.

She still stared at his eyes when he said, “I promise..”

That was when she threw the knife to the floor and took his hand.

I trust you.

 

Right after Nayoung’s feet were landed on the roof floor, the guy swept her into his arms and covered her face with his jacket. Assisted by the police, they walked through the crowd. People’s voice and flashes of the cameras were showering Nayoung, but she didn’t give much attention, her attention was on how firm the guy held her shoulder and how warm his body.

Who are you?

Nayoung wondering if he was an angel that God sent for her.

 

As she reached the ground floor outside, she walked pass the cell phone that guy thrown. It was crushed.

Just like my past life.. The life that was over.. The past me..

 

-00–

 

Nayoung was brought to the University Clinic and got medical check up. The guy still accompanied her patiently, he even held her hand all the time, to give her support.

“Eat first..” He said as he gave a bowl of Samgyetang to Nayoung.

Nayoung took that bowl with her left hand, still shaking. He brought Nayoung’s right hand which was clutched with his to help holding the bowl.

“Do you want me to help you eat?” the guy asked.

Nayoung shook her head, she was hesitated to let go of his hands.

Seems that guy understood what she was worrying, he said, “Don’t worry, I won’t go anywhere..”

He smiled and placed a spoon on Nayoung’s right hand. Then, she started to eat.

“I’m Kim Jonghyun.. What’s your name?” That guy asked with smiling.

Nayoung looked at him and amazed at how someone could have that bright smile. But then she looked down, somehow feeling so small in front of him. “Nayoung.. Im Nayoung..” she answered softly.

But even without looking at him, Nayoung knew that the guy was smiling again as he spelled her name. “Na-young.. a pretty name..”

Nayoung ate slowly while sometimes stealing glance at Jonghyun. She stared at him for a moment and looked at her soup, and then looking back at him like wanting to offer him the soup. Jonghyun who got the message, chuckled. “Just eat it. You’re the one who need the energy. I’m already full.”

For the umpteenth times, Nayoung was mesmerized by how warm the guy in front of her. Like his every action could assure her that she wasn’t alone, that she has him right now.

Few minutes later, Doctor asked Nayoung as he walked closer, “Have you finished eating, Nayoung ssi?”

Nayoung nodded slowly.

“Is she fine, Doc?” Jonghyun asked.

“Physically, there’s no problem. It’s only.. She’s still feeling tense after what happened.” Doctor replied to Jonghyun and then turned to Nayoung, “You better go to sleep. Just relax your body, Nayoung ssi..”

Nayoung looked down, she was confused.

But then Jonghyun held her hand again, “I told you, I’m not going anywhere..”

She looked at him smiling again, and she felt assured. She lied on the bed with still holding Jonghyun’s hand.

Nayoung stared at Jonghyun’s hand, amazed at how that hand could save her. If she could, Nayoung would never let go of that hand.

 

-00–

 

Nayoung woke up and found Jonghyun sleeping. He rest his head on a bed, so Nayoung could see his face closely. As she started to observe his face, the nurse came and woke him up. Actually Nayoung wanted to stop her from waking Jonghyun up, but he has managed to wake up.

“He told me to wake him up when you wake up, Miss Im..” the nurse said as she went away.

"Emmh, you're up huh? Hoooaahm, well now let's go home. " He said it while yawning.

"I don’t want to go home." Nayoung cut his words quickly.

He was silent for a moment, eyes staring at Nayoung before saying, "Go home not actually means to go to your home. You can come with me."

Nayoung stared back at Jonghyun in confuse. Does he really mean it?

But before she voiced out her question, the nurse came back to them with a box of ginseng tea. “You don’t need drugs, Miss Im.. Just bring this for energy booster.. I hope you get well soon..” She said as she handed the box.

“Thank you..” Jonghyun said it on Nayoung's behalf.

Then he helped Nayoung to get up and they walked out of the room. Just a few step walking, Jonghyun suddenly stopped.

“Hyung?” Jonghyun asked as he looked at the guy in front of them.

A guy who has similar face with Jonghyun but taller and messier. 

“Yaaa, why’d you took so long?” He asked Jonghyun, but then he looked at Nayoung and bowed. “Oh, a-anyeong-haseyo..”

“Nayoung, this is my brother, Kim Dojae..” Jonghyun introduced Nayoung to his brother. Dojae bowed and gave her an awkward smile.

“Hyung, this is Im Nayoung..”

Nayoung could only give him a light bow, she even couldn’t dare to look at him again.

Feeling awkward, Dojae initiated to offer, “Then.. S-should we drive her home?”

Listening to that question, Nayoung tigthened her hand on Jonghyun.

“We will bring her with us, to our house..” Jonghyun answered.

“What? B-bring her to our house?? to Daegu???”

Dojae was surprised to hear his brother’s answer, meanwhile Jonghyun could only give him a sheepish smile.

"Can we talk for a moment?" Asked Dojae to his brother. In the same time, Nayoung tightened her grab on Jonghyun's hand, and Dojae noticed that.

"Ah okay, I'll just--" Dojae walked closer to Jonghyun and whispered to his brother's ear. "Are you sure you're going to take her home with us?"

"Yes, hyung.."

"What will you tell mom and dad?"

"I'll explain.."

"What about her parents?"

As the mentioned of the parents, Nayoung who overheard the conversation, jolted a little.

"I'll take care of it, don't worry."

Dojae stared at his brother and then to Nayoung. He sighed before saying, "Alright. Let's go."

 

-00-

 

Dojae opened the car’s door for Nayoung. It was a two-seated truck, which meant it will be too pack if Nayoung get inside. She was hesitated, she looked at Jonghyun looking for an approval. He gave her a firm nod, and then she got inside the car. Jonghyun sat next to her while Dojae on the driver seat.

After a few minutes of silent, Dojae started to break the ice. “Kim Jonghyun. Where is Kim Jonghyun? Is he not coming today? Why doesn’t he put his hand up?”

Listening to his hyung’s joke, Jonghyun chuckled. "What are you doing, hyung?"  

"Ah! Turns out that his hand is holding a girl’s hand, right now..” Dojae teased as he glanced at how Nayoung still holding Jonghyun’s hand tightly. “Tsk. Tsk. Woaaah kid these days.. “

Dojae scoffed while Jonghyun laughed and tease his hyung back, “Do you want to hold my hand too?”

Dojae chuckled. “If it’s me, I’m not only wanting to hold your hand.. if you know what I mean..”

“Yaa Hyung!” Jonghyun shouted and giggled.

Kim brothers were laughing, but Nayoung was stay quiet. She didn’t interest to join the laughter. She stared at the road as if it was her first time to see its view.

 

-00–

 

“Finally, we’re home...” Dojae said as they arrived at the house.

Once the gate was opened, Nayoung was welcomed by a beautiful wooden traditional Korean House. From inside the house, there was middle-aged woman approached them.

“Yaa Jju ya, Jae ya.. Why are you so late?” That woman asked to Kim Brothers, but then she realized Nayoung’s presence. “Oh, who is she?” She looked at Nayoung and then down to her hand which was still clutching to Jonghyun’s hand. She turned to Jonghyun and asked, “Is she your girlfriend?”

“No.. It’s not like that, Auntie.. I’ll explain it later..” Jonghyun replied quickly and led his aunt to go inside the house.

Listening to his aunt’s question, Dojae walked pass Jonghyun and whispered, “I’ve told you, Jju..” He threw a playful smirk to him.

Jonghyun hissed him back, and turned to Nayoung warmly. “Let’s go Nayoung ssi..”

 

-00-

 

Inside the house, the family was gathered and somehow it made Nayoung feeling nervous. She tightened her grab on Jonghyun’s and stopped.

Jonghyun turned at Nayoung and calmed her, “It’s okay, Nayoung ssi..”

“Look.. look.. she can’t get away from you, Jju..” Dojae tried to tease again.

It made all eyes in the room stared at Nayoung and Jonghyun.

"Please get inside and take a seat..” said another middle-aged woman. This one looked older but prettier. She asked softly.  “What's your name, Ahgassi?"

"I’m... Im.. Im Nayoung... " She answered as she sat on a cushion on the wooden floor.

“Woah, finally you say something..” Dojae started again.

While Jonghyun said quickly to cover Dojae’s sneer. “Nayoung is our friend in SNU..”

The family members were smiling welcoming Nayoung. But then Jonghyun’s grandmother started to complain. "Come on.. Let's eat. Grandma is hungry.”

It made the family members laugh and started to eat. The menu was quite a lot. There were bulgogi, ojingo bokkeum, tteokpoki, dwenjang chigae, and many others.

Jonghyun who saw Nayoung only stared at the dishes, picked up a piece of bulgogi to Nayoung’s bowl and said, “Eat it Nayoung ssi.. don’t just stare at it..” He ended it with a smile.

Nayoung always got lost in his smile. She thougth that Jonghyun’s smile is the most beautiful smile she ever seen.

“Nayoung ssi...” Jonghyun poked her and it snapped her back. Nayoung nodded and started to eat.

At first, she had no appetite, but surprisingly the food was really delicious. She felt like she finally eat after a long time.

While eating, Jonghyun introduced his family. "This is my family. The one sitting beside you is Aunt Juri, my dad’s sister. And the one sitting next to her is her husband, Uncle Dongwoo. And the next is my brother, you already know.”

Dojae waved his chopsticks to Nayoung.

"And who besides my brother is our lovely grandma. And the next is my mom. Today is her birthday." Jonghyun said while accompanied by applause from everyone.

Mrs. Kim smiled shyly.

“But we will sing the happy brthday song later after I finish this introduction..” Jonghyun added, then he continued, “Next to my mom is my dad. And the next is Dongchan, my cousin..”

“Greet Nayoung ahgassi, Dongchan ah..”Jonghyun’s dad said to Dongchan.

“Anyeonghaseyo Nayoung noona, Kim Dongchan imnida..” He greeted Nayoung and bowed. Nayoung bowed back lightly.

Jonghyun ended the introduction, "Well, now let’s sing together for our beloved mom.. "

And the birthday song was blaring in the room.

 

-00 –

 

Perfect family. There are father, mother, brother, grandmother, aunt, uncle, and even cousin. They were all singing along, and laughing with joy, celebrating the live of the loved ones. Is this the life that you want to share with me, Jonghyun? Then, you’ll share a heaven.

 

-00 –

 

When it got late at night, Mrs. Kim asked Jonghyun to show Nayoung the guest room where she could sleep.

“Nayoung ssi, don't you think you need to contact your parent?” Jonghyun asked when they reached the guest room.

“No need. They don’t care about me..” Nayoung replied shortly.

"At least tell them. Care or not care. Like the advertisement on TV. You're going to buy it if you’re interested, but will pass it if you are not interested. Just tell them so I didn’t get accused of kidnapping you. "

Nayoung sighed. She knew what Jonghyun said was true. So she took her phone, pressing her dad’s number and gave it to Jonghyun. “Don’t tell them where I am..”

“I’m not going to tell them..” Jonghyun replied.

Dial tone of the phone rang. Jonghyun called Nayoung’s Dad, but no answer.

"He isn’t picking up the call, is he?" Nayoung asked cynically.

Jonghyun sighed. "Give me your mom’s number."

Nayoung took her phone and pressed her mom’s number and gave it back to Jonghyun.

Dial tone of the phone rang again. But this time, there was a sound from the other side. "Hello..". Nayoung’s mom picked up the phone.

"Anyeonghaseyo.. Am I talking to Im Nayoung’s mom?" Jonghyun started the conversation.

"Yes.." Her mom answered.

“I’m Kim Jonghyun, Nayoung’s friend. Tonight please allow Nayoung to stay at my parent’s house...”

“Kim Jonghyun? I never heard that Nayoung has friend named Kim Jonghyun..”

“We’re friends as we entered SNU..”

“Aaah.. Okay.. Why did she suddenly go to your parent’s house?”

“We threw a party for my mom’s birthday, and Nayoung wanted to come..”

“Oh okay then..” Nayoung’s mom replied shortly.

Jonghyun was silent for a while, like waiting for her to say more, but then he nodded. “Yes, I understand.. Nayoung will fine here.. Thank you..” Then he hung up the phone.

He gave the phone back to Nayoung and forced to smile. He could tell how Nayoung living her past life just by this phone call.

“Jju yaa, why don’t you let Nayoung ssi to rest?” Mrs. Kim said as she came closer.

“Oh, yee eomma..” He turned to answer his mom and turned back at Nayoung to say goodnight before walking to his own room.

“Come in..” Mrs. Kim opened the door and let Nayoung in.

The room was not spacious. No bed, there was only a traditional Korean sleeping bed.

"Put this on. Hopefully it fit your body. This shirt is not really good, it’s my shirt when I was young.” Mrs. Kim said as she gave Nayoung a pink flower printed shirt.

"It's okay, Mrs. Kim. Thank you. " Nayoung answered and bowed lightly.

Mrs. Kim walked closer to Nayoung and patted her shoulder. “I know, this room is not that big, but I hope you can sleep well here..”

“Ye...” Nayoung bowed again.

"Then, sleep tight Nayoung ssi... " Mrs. Kim said as she went out the room.

 

-00 –

 

Feeling more comfortable in this room than being in her own room, that was what Nayoung feeling. This room was only 1/3 of her room, but Nayoung couldn’t help but smile. Maybe it was because the way Mrs. Kim looked at her with full of care.

But then she felt kinda need to go to the bathroom. She opened the door and tried to look for a bathroom, but then she stopped when she heard someone talking.

“Jju ya, what was actually happened? Im Nayoung, who is she?”

 

[the picture of Nayoung eavesdropping Jonghyun and his mom]

#np: Ordinariness by Baek Ji Young