Chapter 12 - Good News!

Coke

I woke up by the sound of my alarm. I turned it off, but it rang again. And the scene kept repeating as if I was stuck in a loop. In the end, I got annoyed and eventually, got up from my bed and headed straight to the bathroom.

 

I did my usual duties that were to be done, got ready and went downstairs. However, before I could enter the kitchen, I heard some clattering and chattering going on.

 

I slowed down a little and quietly tip toed towards the noise, but the moment I recognized the voice, I immediately hid behind the wall and held my breath.

 

"Oh Aunty, you didn't have to make pancakes for me--"

 

"Come on Cecil, don't be so formal with your mother-in-law now." Mom laughed shyly. "Now eat before I have to force feed you."

 

"Okay…" He laughed and began eating.

 

I was about to run to my room like a Ninja because I didn't want mom to find me and make me sit and talk to Cecil or eat breakfast with him. However…

 

"Ari," Mom called out.

 

I froze and hoped she wouldn't say what I was afraid of hearing, but guess some wishes never come true. "Cecil's here, why don't you say hi?"

 

I slowly turned around and smiled hesitantly, "Mom…I look dirty."

 

"No, you look perfectly fine--"

 

"No, mother, I just woke up and--"

 

"Ari," She said roughly and glared at me. "Let him see the real you. After marriage you're going to be the same so." She nodded me to go to the kitchen and walked away toward the living room.

 

I wriggled annoyedly and clicked my tongue because I don't want to see or talk to him. I don't even want to marry him!

Why is this happening to me?

 

Why is mom torturing me like this?

 

I cried inwardly, but I suddenly heard mom coughing and quickly rushed to the kitchen with a smile on my face.

 

Cecil looked up from his plate of pancakes and waved at me.

 

I awkwardly waved back and headed to the fridge to get some milk. Or in my language get some cool air because I was sweating like hell.

 

"Morning Ari, how are you?" He asked.

 

I opened the fridge and grabbed the milk carton before answering coldly. "Good."

 

"I uh, just came by to give your mom's purse…She left it in our dining room."

 

I also grabbed the peanut butter sandwich Unnie had left for me two days ago and closed the fridge. "I see…"

 

Did she now? Or was it all her plan so that Cecil would eventually have to come and give it to her.

 

Yes, that definitely seems like her plan.

Ugh, Mom! why do you do such things?

 

"Your mom makes some tasty pancakes though--"

 

"Cecil, please..." I said softly but when I placed down my plate of sandwich and the carton of milk, it was loud and rough. I got near to him so that mom wouldn't hear what I would say. "I can't marry you…I love someone else."

 

His smile faded in an instant and I did feel bad about it, but I couldn't help it. I had to tell him now before he really starts to think that I'm okay with this marriage.

 

There was an awkward silence between us. He had no idea what to say and I was feeling very nauseous. I just wanted him to understand me. Maybe even talk to mom and end this.

 

"Okay…" He finally said, pushing back his hair. "I will talk to our parents about it."

 

For a second, I didn't believe his words. I thought I was thinking what I wanted him to say to me, but he suddenly snapped his fingers in front of my face and chuckled. "Ari, you there?"

 

I blinked rapidly and I felt my eyes widening and my heart jumping fervently, "Really…?"

 

He nodded. "If you don't want this marriage, then I can't force you into it."

 

I covered my mouth with my hand, unable to contain the happiness inside me, "Thank you so much!" I whispered.

 

He shrugged. "I would regret not marrying you, but if you won't love me, then what's the point, right?"

 

I seriously thought how cool and mature he was now. I realized that what I am doing is a bad thing, but I also know that I care for my happiness and my future. I don't want to ruin Cecil's life...At-least backing away from this marriage before the real thing is better than a divorce.

 

Cecil placed down his fork and knife and got up from his seat. "I'll leave then."

 

I nodded slightly.

 

"And don't worry, I will talk to my family and yours." He smiled.

 

I nodded again. This time with a faint smile.

 

"See you, Ari." He waved and walked out of the kitchen through the back door.

 

I pushed back my hair and quickly wiped the tears that were collected in the corner of my eyes.

 

Just then, mom entered the kitchen with a few envelopes in her hand and looked up nonchalantly. But her expression soon turned befuddled. "Where did Cecil go?"

 

"Uh…" I my lips. "He left."

 

Mom strode towards the back door, opened it and searched for Cecil outside, but guess he was already gone because she looked quite mad. "Ari, what did you say to him?!"

 

"What? Nothing mom," I said incredulously. "He just left after eating your pancakes."

 

Mom eyed me suspiciously. She knew very well that I must have said something, but she didn't probe. Instead, she gave me one last death glare and walked back to where she came from.

 

That was scary…but truth be told, I'm glad Cecil understands me and my feelings.

 

I just hope that he talks to mom soon because if he doesn't, then in the next few days she would eventually start her "Wedding shopping".

 

After eating my sandwich, I went back to my room and saw that there were two messages from Kai.

 

I hopped a little in excitement before falling down on my bed and unlocking my phone.

 

Kai: Ari, guess what?

 

Kai: I'm coming to LA in a two days!!!

 

My heart stopped.

And then as I re-read the message, it began to beat rapidly as if it wanted to pop out of my chest and dance like there was no tomorrow.

 

I quickly grabbed the pillow from my side, placed it on my face and screamed loudly until my body released all the animation and joy it contained.

 

Which took me nearly 6 minutes and 40 seconds.

 

I kept re-reading the message and every time I read it, my heart would pound so loudly against my chest that I felt it would literally burst out if I didn't press it down hard.

 

Immediately after letting out my excitement, I ran to Unnie's room. She was on her bed, doing something on her phone. But I didn't care. I closed the door, ran to her, snatched her phone to attain her attention and screamed in a whisper, "Kai is coming…To LA!"