Chapter 1 - Discomfiture

Coke


Is it really him...Or am I dreaming? Wait, maybe the flight crashed and I'm dead and this is just my mind imagining things before dying...

Yes, that's got to be the only theory...or in other words my conceptualization. (Who even uses such a word? Oh wait, I did…I’m going crazy already.)

Kai had already started eating his meal. Hell, he looked handsome even when chewing. Breathlessly, I leaned back in my seat and stared at the screen in front of me. I couldn't see his face anymore because of the screen between us, which was good because I didn't want him to see a strange girl getting red for no damn reason.

My mind was completely blank, and I was going insane in my seat because it was so damn hard to control my excitement and my animated feelings which were bubbling inside me. I tried to calm down and eat my food like a normal, non-crazy person would eat.

Firstly, I organized my mind and told myself repeatedly to not look at Kai because no matter how prepossessing he is, I can't make him uncomfortable. Secondly, I grabbed my fork and spoon (and believe me when I say that my hands were shaking as if I had fits) and started to eat. But my stomach wouldn't digest my food. It was already full of ebullient. I placed down my fork and spoon and sipped my Coke but disastrously, it was empty.

By chance, the air hostess was taking rounds and I quickly hollered her. She marched towards me and I told her that I wanted Coke. She kept me on hold for more than a few minutes and came back with the tray having my Cola.

"Thank you." I smiled broadly, and she left.

I opened my can and took a long sip. The fizziness tingled my throat and above all, it helped my heart beat get back to normal. I just need to be normal...I reminded myself.

Impulsively, my finger crawled over to the button that would move down the obscuration between us. But then I stopped because that would be totally incongruous of me. I pulled back my hand but ugh, that freaking button was like a magnet, I tell ya! And the next thing I knew, the covering was slowly going down and down and down until I could clearly and openly see Kai.

For a second, he looked at me. My heart stopped as our gazes met for that one tiny second and then he went back to eating.

I cursed Kai for glancing at me because he made me even crazier than before. I couldn't differentiate between reality and a dream. I mean, sure, I could touch him and see if he's real or just a hologram in my dream, but I don't want to risk getting embarrassed. It's the last thing I would want right now.

I drank my Coke in one shot and decided to open my laptop and just write to mislead my hopeless thoughts. I wanted to forget that that tantalizing person was sitting beside me... I took out my laptop and opened the flap. Wriggling my fingers until the laptop would switch on, I thought of drinking another can of Coke. You know, just to make me feel fuzzy.

However, right when the laptop , a super duper, amazing wallpaper of Kai was my display which I had completely forgotten about. Instantly, I shut the flap and kept the laptop back in its bag. This isn't how I supposed my day would be...What should I do?

I looked to my side, just out of curiosity and noticed that the screen was up again. For some reason, I felt a slight pang of pain in my chest. Not that I wanted to see his aristocratic face... I couldn't see the air hostess anywhere, so I called her by pushing the button.

She came not long after and gave me the thing I needed the most. Cola. Yes, I know I’m overdoing it with the soda but believe me, when your ultimate ultimate bias is beside you, not even a million cola’s will help. Before leaving, she took away my tray and left with a smile (I like when they smile and not get irritated)

I never finish my Coke in one gulp but strangely, I happen to gain the power to do it now. The lights suddenly went out and the glow in the dark galaxy overhead shone brightly.

I switched off the light on my T.V and felt some relaxation enter my body. The darkness was alleviating but it also made me sleepy. This whole Kai incident has undoubtedly made me and my sensitive heart tired.

I noticed Kai switching off his T.V screen as well (I also noticed him wearing a thin black ring on his index finger) Darkness surrounded us and slowly, I became slumberous.

I converted my seat into a bed and before I knew it, I was in a state of coma.

--

I woke up to the sound of the pilot speaking. "Ladies and Gentlemen, we are getting closer to New York. We'll be landing shortly enough. Thank you."

I rubbed my eyes, stretched my legs and converted my bed into a seat again. It's actually fun to do that but if I keep doing it, it would be unsophisticated of me. I let out a soft yawn. Checking the time on my screen, I realized that there was only an hour left for us to land to New York. Though, I was surprised knowing how long I slept. Restlessness and stress took over my body as I now recalled my purpose of going to NY.

However, I forgot all of it for a second as my glance suddenly turned to the side. I saw the seat next to me empty, except a black hat rested lazily on it.

My heart pumped faster again as if I was going to have a heart attack. The abrupt realization struck me hard that I was seated beside Kai. I couldn't think straight and all the uneasiness that I had forgotten in my sleep came back to me all at once.

I got up from my seat, took a deep breath and headed to the washroom. Both lavatories which were across each other were occupied, so I waited.

It didn't take long for one person to come out, but what took me by a little surprise was that a little boy went in before I could. He pushed me aside with his little hands and locked the door.

The woman who came out from the lavatory chuckled and went away towards her seat. I grimaced and crossed my arms in annoyance of the little boy. I swear, the moment he comes out I'm gonna give him a piece of my ear.

But, on another note, he's cute and maybe he had more urgency than I did...Guess it's his lucky day today cause the Great Ari, is going to spare his life.

"Excuse me, Ma'am," An air hostess called out to me and I turned around. "May I help you?"

"No, I'm just waiting for the lavatory to be unoccupied." I smiled at her.

"Ah, okay," She bobbed her head. "I hope you're enjoying your flight."

"I am. I really am." I raised both my brows pleasingly.

"I'm happy to hear that."

Right then, there was an announcement that I couldn't hear clearly but I presumed it was for the staffs since the one talking to me, smiled at me for one last time and left with a cat-walk.

I heard one of the lavatory doors click open and turned around again, however, I bumped into something hard and tough. I painfully looked up while rubbing my forehead and saw Kai staring down at me in surprise. Our gazes met for the second time. His wide chocolate eyes were shining like pearls.

Everything around me stopped for that one passing moment. My heart thudded loudly, and my pulse shivered.

"Gwenchana? Are you alright?" He asked and snap, everything moved again. The airplane noise was suddenly audible now.

I don't know what I did, but I assumed that I shook my head because Kai's expression turned a little more surprised. "Are you hurt?"

His voice...I can't describe it, but it makes my heart yearn to hear more and more of it. It's like hearing the waterfall or the trees swaying or the wind blowing through an open window.

This time, I nodded because I didn't feel any pain. But then I captured that he misunderstood me. It was my fault for reversing my gestures, but he felt a little troubled by it all.

"Are you okay or are you not okay?" He confusedly asked again, and I softly said, "I--I'm okay..." I doubt he heard me, but I guess he did because he promptly smiled and walked past me. The moment he passed me, a fragrance overlapped the smell of the strange airplane smell. His cologne wasn't strong nor was it faded.

Seeing his broad shoulders made my cheeks red, and if I looked any more at him, I was certain that I would faint and create a chaos. Quickly, I went inside the lavatory and locked the door. Dizziness was starting to enshroud my mind, but I splashed some cold water to revive my old, mundane self.

Not that I lack interest in EXO's Kai but because it's normal for an idol to travel in flights, right? It's pathetically normal and I don't need to make a big deal out of it. I just happened to get lucky by getting a seat next to him and yeah, that's it. Everything's normal and there's nothing special about it...

Okay...Kai used this washroom...He used this seat, he touched this platform, he used this paper towel, he looked into this mirror...Alright, I'm really going crazy, aren't I?

I'm definitely going berserk.

I got out after I came back to my senses which I'm a bit doubtful myself if I even look calm or look like a maniac who is crazy in love. Though I lost count on how many times I breathed in and out just to clear my head.

I headed back towards my seat but stopped in an unexpected startle as I saw the little boy from before sit in my place.

"Uh, excuse me," And the boy looked up at me. "This is my seat you're sitting on."

"Huh? This is my seat lady." The boy glared up at me but wouldn't budge.

"No, it's my seat. You must have confused it with mine." I then noticed my bag under his dangling foot. "See, that's my bag too."

"No! This is my bag, and this is my seat!" The boy raised his voice, but I wasn't going to get scared and back away.

"Where is your mother, huh?"

"She went to the washroom!"

"Then let me take you to your seat and you can--"

"What is happening here?" A young, cute woman came from the other side of the row and asked me.

"This boy is sitting on my seat," I said.

"No, I'm not!" The boy yelled and turned to the lady. "Mom, tell her!"

Huh? Mom...? Wait a minute...
But my bag is here...

"No! It's my seat--" I was getting angry now.

Startlingly, there was a tap on my shoulders from behind me and I turned around. And as unexpected as my day would go, it was Kai again. He took a step back amusedly upon seeing my angry, oblique, scary expression.

Instantly, I softened my features and looked at him ineptly.

"Your seat is there..." He pointed to the seat a few seats behind from where I thought my seat was. And guess what? He was right. My seat was 9A; my bag which was identical to the boys was on my seat, so was my laptop. Whereas I stood near 7A.

“Oh…”

I embarrassed myself, didn't I? In front of everybody and in front of Kai... Why is this day so cruel to me? What did I do to deserve such 'egg on the face’?

The lady and the boy looked at me resentfully. I smiled at them hesitantly and apologized several times to both the mother and son.

--

I was standing near my seat, but the boy looked back with rage in his eyes. I bowed again involuntarily and sat in my seat, finally losing sight of the boy's evil eyes.

Man... how can I mess up so easily? What's gotten into me? Ugh, this is so not like me. Just then, I heard faint chuckling and looked to my side. Apparently, for someone who didn't do something so incommodious, laughed at me. I was already irritated and now that he was laughing at me, it made me even more vexed than I already was.

I was losing control of myself and was about to open my little mouth when out of the blue, he said, "Hyung, you really are something..."

And that's when I saw him talking through his earphones.

I sighed heavily and thanked God for saving me from another unfavorable moment. I really was glad and was on the brink of tears for not speaking before thinking. Or else, I would've gained another hater. On another note, I guess I should text Unnie as well and update her my whereabouts.

Ari - Unnie.

Onee-Sama - Oh, you arrived already?

Ari - Another 30 mins.

Onee-Sama - Ah, ok.

Ari - Unnie.

Onee-Sama - What?

Ari - I have something interesting and embarrassing to tell you.

Onee-Sama - What happened?

Ari - I'll tell you once I land.

Onee-Sama - Why even bother leaving the bread crumbs then?

Ari - Huh?

Onee-Sama - Never mind. I'm getting a call right now. Bye.

Gee, how rude.

"The flight will be landing soon, please Ladies and Gentlemen, I request you to get back to your seats as the seat belt sign is now on."