[HJS] Chapter 1

✧ Dating Seventeen ⎯ a semi-interactive series ♡ [trial run period]

You are reading this chapter during the trial run period. Chapter contents are still subject to change.
Feel free to leave comments or shoot me a PM about how the story system can improve!


It was a bright, sunny Saturday; the perfect weather for going out and walking hand in hand at the park or mall. That was what you always thought when it came to weather like this, after all. The only catch with this sort of weather was that you didn't exactly having anybody to spend the day with even if you wanted to. Well, nobody that would make it romantic, at least. No hand holding or cute ice cream dates. The closest you had to a guy who would be readily available during days like this would be Hong Jisoo, your childhood friend since forever. He was more like an older brother than anything else, though. 

That didn't change that he was all you had, though, and that he would be more than willing to spend the day with you.

 

"Thanks for coming out with me on such a short notice, Jisoo." 

 "It's no problem. I've been wanting to get out of the house today, too. Great weather, huh?"

You grinned brightly. 

"That's exactly what I was thinking!" 

 He smiled at your enthusiasm.

 "So, where did you want to go again?"

"I was thinking the mall. There should be a sale at this one make up store I buy from." 

 "I'm alright with that. Let's go then."

 

On the way to the mall, you caught up with Jisoo on the various stuff that happened that week.

Since he was older than you, you two no longer went to the same school unlike how things were when you two were kids. It took some getting used to at first, but you found that being in different schools didn't change anything. Jisoo still lived fairly near your house, which meant that hanging out with him wasn't hard at all. Not to mention, much like that day, all it took was a quick text or phone call if you wanted to see him, anyway. The same went for you, but the times where Jisoo would be the one calling you out was a bit more rare. 

When you got to the city mall, the place wasn't entirely filled with people despite it being the weekend. You easily walk the familiar path towards one of your favourite stores, with Jisoo in tow next to you. He's always been the patient kind, really. You suddenly wondered just how many times you've managed to drag Jisoo with you on a shopping spree and how he'd just agree to everything you plan out. Of course, when you got a little too close to overspending, he was also very quick to tell you off.

 

"Jisoo, which shade looks better?" 

You held up two differently coloured lipstick. One is a bright red and the other is a subtle pink. 

 He looked between the two and then towards your lips.

You felt self-conscious for a few seconds before shaking it off. 

'It's just Jisoo. Plus I was the one who asked to begin with.' 

 "I think the pink one would suit you better. It's also harder to pair the red one with clothing."

"Wow, you sure know your lipstick." 

 "With all the times I've helped you choose? Of course."

 The saleslady who was watching the two of you giggled.

 "You're lucky to have a boyfriend who has a good eye for make up."

"Oh, he's not my boyfriend. More like a brother, really." 

 He smiled sheepishly at the saleslady.

 "Yeah, what she said."

 "Oh, but I'm sure whoever your girlfriend will be, she'll be a lucky lady."

 Jisoo blushed at the compliment, unsure how to reply.

You snickered at the sight of him being embarrassed. 

"She just complimented you, Jisoo." 

 "T-Thanks, that's kind of you to say."

"I'll take the pink one, then." 

You hand the saleslady your chosen lipstick. 

 She gave Jisoo a flirtatious smile before heading to the cashier to ring up the lipstick and the rest of your purchases.

"She wasted no time checking you out." 

 "What do you mean?"

You roll your eyes at his obliviousness. 

"As soon as I said we weren't together, her eyes sparkled." 

 "You're probably imagining that."

"Why would you say that? Don't you think you're a catch?" 

 "I don't think that's up to me to say."

You pay for the make up and thank the saleslady, who gave Jisoo one last glance, before heading out the store. 

"Well, I think you'd be great at being a boyfriend, actually." 

 He chuckled a little at that, easily taking your purchases to carry them for you.

 "That's comforting to hear."

"Don't you think she was pretty? You could try asking her out." 

 "Not my type."

"I don't think I've ever heard you talk about a type." 

 "It's not a topic we've talked about often, that's why."

 He paused for a moment.

 "I'm not really look for a relationship, either."

"Well, I am. I'm getting tired of being single." 

 He frowned the slightest bit.

 "Really? Aren't you too young for a boyfriend?"

"I'm not that much younger than you, Jisoo." 

 "Still. I think it's too young for you."

"Do I need your permission to date now, too?" 

 "T-that's not what I meant. I'm just—"

"Looking out for me. I know, Jisoo, I know." 

 "If you want to start dating, I want to know about it."

 He grinned suddenly.

 "Maybe I actually can play the big brother role and scare some guys off."

You scoff at the image of him being threatening. 

"You can't even scare a fly." 

 

The two of you laughed at the image of him being scary, until Jisoo eventually relented and agreed that he wouldn't be able to do much. He did so with a small smile, before easily changing the topic into something else. You wondered why for a moment, but went with the flow, since it was pretty rare of him to show discomfort as well no matter how subtle. Jisoo was always smiling, always kind about things, but you figured he was also pretty awkward around girls. The scene earlier with the saleslady replayed in your mind. Other than yourself, you didn't know of any other girl he was close to. Maybe he didn't want to talk about dating since he himself wasn't ready for dating?

You, on the other hand, were actually serious about finding a boyfriend.

For some reason, a part of you decided not to bring the topic up again that day.