Story Time (Haechan) - Part 1

What is a Friend?

WARNING: SUICIDE ATTEMPTS IN THIS CHAPTER. IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO SUICIDE STOP WHEN YOU SEE ******* AND START AGAIN WHEN YOU SEE IT AGAIN.

Haechan's POV


"Now Jisung Park, you owe us an explanation." I said.  The mood dropped quickly, and tension was thick in the air. "Junie told me about what Yoongi said to you, and about what Yoongi said to him. I think we're all owed an explanation." Renjun is giving me a death glare now, but I don't care. I'm gonna get to the bottom of this.


 "I-I see." Jisung responded obviously not wanting to give anyone eye contact. He sighed "What do you want me to tell you?"


 "Start with you and Yoongi's relationship." I said.


"Step brothers, I think." He said looking absent. "I'm not really sure." 


 "How can you not be sure." I asked. By the look on his face it probably sounded like was accusing him of being a liar, and I sort of was. How can he not be sure? Sounds like crap to me.


 "I'm not sure if my mom already married....." He trailed off


 "So, you and Yoongi are recently step brothers? " Mark asked. Jisung nodded his head.


 "I don't mean to be apart of this poorly timed investigation, but what did Yoongi mean when he said you killed his mother?" Renjun asked.


Jisung looked alarmed "I didn't kill anyone I swear." he said, moving in a way that made him wince. 


 "Are you ok?" Jaemin asked,  getting up from his seat to move closer to Jisung.


 "No." Jisung said irritated. "But that doesn't matter. It never does." 


Jaemin hesitated, but eventually sat back down in his seat. "Jisung, why would he say you killed someone and you didn't? And also cry about it. Yoongi's a poor actor so I know that was genuine." I said.


 "I don't know, let me think." Jisung said sarcastically. "Hmmm.. why would Yoongi blame me for his mother's death? Maybe it's the same reason why he blames me for my mother being a e, or maybe it's because our parents got married, or maybe it's just because he doesn't like me." He ended pretending to be enlightened.


 "Are you a natural or did you pick that up from Yoongi?" I asked getting aggravated with him. This isn't our fault. We got him here didn't we? We've helped him so far haven't we? He worried me half to death for this? No.


 "Haechan-ah." Chenle called surprised.


 "What? It's just a question. You were probably thinking the same thing."


 "A natural." Jisung smirked. "I think the same goes for you too though."


 "Drop it." Mark said calmly.


I ignored him "Really? I mean I've tried to help you so far. I don't know how that classifies me as a you-" 


I was interrupted by Mark saying again "Drop it Haechan."


 "I'm not gonna let him-"


I was interrupted once again, but this time by Jisung. "I'm sorry." He said looking down. "I-I'm really sorry Haechan. I really don't want you guys to start yelling at each other, because of me. I got angry and I'm sorry." he said letting out shaky breaths as he spoke.


I paused for a moment asking myself if I should forgive him or not. After a minute, and a death glare from Renjun, I decided to forgive him because his apology seemed sincere, and because Renjun literally looked like he was gonna kill me.


 "I have a suggestion." Jeno said. "How about we all talk about our life struggles or whatever, so it can be easier for you Jisung?"


 "I'm not opposed." Renjun said. "I've got nothing to hide." 


 "That's because your life is boring." I said. "I'm ok with it. Why shouldn't I be?" After a minute of persuading, we finally got the others to agree. 


 "Haechan since you're the one who started this you go first." Jeno said


 "Ok." I responded and started my story.


Donghyuk was a normal kid with a normal life. Donghyuck had a normal house, with a normal room, and normal parents, and even more normal friends. Donghyuk was homeschooled up until he was 7, and it was at that age that he encountered his first bully. The boy wasn't particularly tall, but he wasn't short either, he looked about Haechan's age or maybe older, he had brown short hair, big (for an asian) brown eyes, and ears that looked a little to big for his face. 


"Hey fatty, where you going?" The boy said in a foreign language.


"Huh?" Donghyuck questioned confused.


 "I asked where you were going fat boy."  He said this time in the right language.


 "Home." Donghyuck responded oblivious to the insult. "Where are you going?"


 "What? I'm going home too i guess."  The boy said more than a little puzzled.


 "Cool! Do you wanna go home together? My mommy's picking me up." Donghyuck said. He was excited to find someone who shared the same goal as him. Going home.


 "I guess. I'll have to ask my mom first. She'll kill me if I don't." The boy said pulling out his phone. 


 "Oooh, that sounds bad." Donghyuck said. "Mommy's wouldn't kill their sons."


 "Well my mom would." The boy said looking a little sad. Haechan didn't like the boy being sad so he decided he was gonna try to cheer him up. No, he was going to to cheer him up.
 "What's your name?" Donghyuck asked the boy.


 "My name is Mark." He said. "Oh, Minhyhng. That's my Korean name."


 "You're not from Korea?" Donghyuck asked in awe. He had never met anyone who wasn't from Korea before.


 "Nope. I'm from Canada." Mark said.


 "What's your name?" Mark asked.


 "Donghyuck."  He said.


 Donghyuck was tempted to ask more about Canada , but decided against it. His mother had taught him that bombarding people with questions was rude, and it was also rude to run your mouth. Haechan eventually learned how to keep quiet despite his loud nature.


 "My mom says it's ok." Mark said.


 "Yay!" Donghyuck yelled jumping up and down. My mommy's gonna be here soon."  
That's how the friendship between Donghyuck and Mark started, when his life truly began. This is when his life ended. One day, when Donghyuck was eleven, his parents wanted to go out on a date, any other day he wouldn't particularly care, but that day was odd. He felt odd about the whole ordeal. He wanted tell them not to go. He wanted to say "Don't leave me." But he didn't. He stayed silent like his mother always told him too. A decision he would regret for the rest of his life.


 "Donghyuck!"  Mark called out.


"Go away." Haechan cried. 


 "Please let me in. I'm sorry. Life , believe me I know, but I'm here to make it better. Just like you were there to make me better." Mark said leaning on the door. Suddenly the door was gone and he fell face first into the floor, which earned a giggle from Donghyuk, but he soon returned to crying. 


 "I miss them minnie." Donghyuck sobbed. "I should've told them to stay." It had been over a month since his parents died in a freak road accident. Over a month since he started living with his aunt. To Donghyuck though, it felt like just yesterday the accident occurred. 


 "It's not your fault Hyuck." Mark said trying to make him feel better.


 "Yes it is. If I had just said something then they'd be here." Donghyuck moaned.


 "Promise us something then." Mark said.


 "Us?" Donghyuck asked puzzled.


 "Me and your parents. Promise us that from now on you'll be honest and always speak your mind." Mark said grabbing Donghyuck's hand and looking him in the eye.


 Haechan thought about it for a moment, he thought about what his parents would want. His parents always taught him that speaking your mind isn't always best, but look where that got him."I promise." He said looking back into Mark's eyes. "I also promise that since you're always there for me, I'll always be there for you. So from now on call me Haechan, because I wanna always be your Full Sun."


 "I'm sorry I pressured you Sungie. I really am. It's just because, I'm concerned." I said.


 "I understand Haechan. It's ok." Jisung said. "I'm sorry."


 "Renjun you're next." Jeno said before I could respond. Renjun just shrugged and began.


 "Mom, can we do something together? Like go to the movies or something? "


 "No Renjun I'm working. Why don't you go do your school work." Mrs. Huang responded the same as she does every time, but it was no longer disappointing to Renjun. He'd actually gotten used to it, and wondered why he continued to ask. Maybe he was seeking just a small  bit of attention. His parents have always been workaholics. He can't really remember them ever being any different. When Renjun was 5 he decided that in order to get his parents attention he would have to work like them. When Renjun was 6 he would take the biggest puzzles he could find and put them together to see if one day his mother or father might reward him with a "Great job Renjun!" or "Amazing you're so smart!" but all he got was a glare and "I'm busy right now. Go play puzzles." At 7 Renjun resorted to doing a lot of cleaning, and making sure he always did his best in school. At the age of 10 Renjun realized the only attention he was going to get was when his parents would reject him, still that didn't stop him from joining extra school activities and getting A's in school to try to get there attention. When Renjun turned 14 his parents were promoted to manage an office in Korea, they needed to be there as soon as possible so they hired someone else to pack and bring their stuff to Korea while they stayed in a hotel temporarily. They went to Korea the day after the call was received, leaving Renjun no time to notify anyone that he was moving. Not that he cared though, it's not like he had any friends or anything. Renjun was always so busy studying to get good grades, and doing extra stuff at school that he didn't really have time to talk to anyone. The truth is Renjun used "I'm busy." as an excuse. The truth is Renjun despised people. His parents are people right? Aren't all people the same? No one really cares, that's how life is. 


 "Hi!" A boy said during lunch at his new school taking the seat next to him.


 "I don't have time to talk I'm busy." Renjun said.


 "We don't have to talk. My friends made a bet with me that if I could have lunch with you that means I really am the nicest guy in the world. They said they'd buy me lunch for a week too." The boy said.


 Renjun not even bothering to look up laughed dryly. "Do you think telling me that makes you nice?"


 "No. I think it makes me honest, I just wanted you to know that I'm not being fake or anything." 


 "How nice." Renjun mumbled.


 "I'm just trying not to be rude. I guess I'm not really good at that, huh?" The boy said disappointed in himself.


 "Bingo." Renjun said in Chinese.


 "So you're foreign?" The boy asked.


 "I thought you said we didn't have to talk? " Renjun said annoyed.


 "Sorry." 


 "If you want to finish the bet with your friends that's fine by me, just don't talk to me ok? I have work I need to finish." Renjun snapped.


 "You know, you're not very nice yourself." The boy said. Renjun froze and he continued "I guess that's something we have in common right? I've never been nice, and it took me...." He trailed off "Let's just say I'm trying now. To be a good person. To be nice to others. It's hard so my friends wanna help me and made me do this stupid bet. I just wonder what'll take for you to change." 


 "Change what? I'm not like that." Renjun said angry. "I'm not a rude person. I'm different from everyone else who pretends to be nice, but really truly doesn't care. That's the nature of people  they're pretenders and liars and in the end nobody really cares."


 "Then wouldn't that mean you are like that? You're a person too, right? You're just like everyone else." The boy said.


 "I'm not. I'm not because I refuse to be. I refuse to be like my parents and everyone else."  Renjun almost screamed.


 "No one can be different because it's in their nature. What makes you think you can?" the boy said.


 "I.." Renjun started but trailed off not knowing what to say.


 "I think that you're wrong. People can change that's why I can be different, and that's why you can be different too." The boy said.


 "Shut up!" Renjun screamed picking his books up and leaving the table. He decided he wasn't going to finish school today, it's not like his parents would even notice, they never did. He ran home to his bedroom, where he collapsed on his bed and cried. He thought to himself, how could I be like them? Can people change? My parents never seem to. Maybe I am like them. Hard work never pays off I know that, and that's why because I work so hard to impress them, I've become just like them. How cruel. That boy was freaking right. I am a bad person. But maybe my parents are just trying to impress someone else. Maybe, that's why they are the way they are. Maybe, they can change, and I can change too. 


The next day at lunch Renjun found the table that the boy was sitting at and stood in front of it. "May I sit down?" He asked.


 "Sure." one of the other boys at the table said . He was obviously surprised by Renjun's presence.


 "I wanted to apologize to you." Renjun said pointing to the boy he talked to yesterday. "You were right. So I wanted to ask if you guys might be able to help me be nice?" He finished awkwardly.


 "I forgive you, and we can definitely help you." Said the boy. "Oh, I'm Jaemin. That's Haechan, Mark, and the idiot who didn't introduce himself is Jeno." He said pointing to everyone as he said their names.


 "Obviously you didn't introduce yourself either." Jeno said sticking his tongue out.
 "I'm Renjun." He smiled.


 "And that is why Renjun's a workaholic." Chenle joked.


 "Some habits are hard to break." Renjun shrugged. "And for that I think Chenle should go next."


When we all agreed, except Jisung who wouldn't speak, Chenle said "Fine." and lost his smile, but he started like he was telling the most interesting story in the world. Like nothing wrong ever happened in his life. 

****************************

 Zhong Chenle lives the life that most people want. He's got a big house, a big room, lots of friends, parents who give him everything he wants, everything is perfect. But that's the problem for Chenle, everything is perfect. More accurately everything has to be perfect. Perfect grades, perfect handwriting, perfect speech, perfect friends, anything wrong and discipline is an order. That's why Chenle never did anything wrong, well he tried not to do anything wrong. Even if he wanted to do anything wrong it would be hard get away with it. One time Chenle wasn't being a "proper boy" and accidentally dropped his mother's favorite snow globe, and as a punishment his father hit him once for each broken shard of glass. Perfect. Chenle lives a fake life and knows it. He pretends to be happy, to be good, to be his parents definition of perfect. The truth is, he was miserable. His friends used him for his money, his parents abused him, and he never really felt loved. He kept playing the role he was given though. What other choice did he have?  He understood, why his brother left. Eventually when his parents had the bright idea that a change of environment would do him some good, the Zhong family moved to Korea. By then Chenle was so depressed he figured the only way out was suicide, so he tried. His first attempt to hang himself from the ceiling fan ended with the fan broken, and a serious verbal and physical beating from his parents. The second attempt to drown himself in the bath tub didn't work either, when he started to run out of air he couldn't take it and pulled himself up. He was working on his third attempt when his parents announced they were going to send him to school. Chenle wasn't homeschooled in China, but, due to the language barrier, started when he moved to Korea. His parents had hired him a tutor and for a year he was homeschooled until his parents decided he knew enough Korean and sent him to school. After a few weeks in school Chenle became popular. Why? Because Chenle was rich. Everyone tried to be friends with him, but he rejected them all. At lunch people would crowd around his table to sit with him, he would select a few and shoo the rest. Chenle was getting fed up with life. None of his suicide attempts were working either. On one particularly bad day he decided he was going to skip school, and slit his wrists. He learned recently that slitting your wrists was one of the best ways to commit suicide, as it would ensure death, and he couldn't wait to try it. He wanted the pain to be over. "What do you think you're doing?" Someone behind him called as he was making his escape.


 "What does it matter to you?" He snorted.


 "I'm student body president. It's my job."  The person said.


 "Do Korean schools work differently? Last time I checked it wasn't the presidents job to be nosy. Now take this and scram." Chenle said throwing money.


 "Is that a joke?" The person who Chenle recognized as Huang Renjun said. Renjun was in the group of some of the most popular kids in school, Chenle somehow managed to become more popular than them. Oh yeah, it's because he's rich.


 "Are you being a pain because I'm more popular? If so, screw that. I'm not coming back after today." Chenle laughed genuinely.


 "You laugh like a dolphin." Renjun pointed out while covering his ears.


 "Sorry I'm not as perfect as you thought." He shrugged. "I've never been."  he trailed off in Chinese.


"I didn't think you were."  Renjun responded in Chinese. "No one is perfect. you can try your best, but no one can be. It's the irony of life."


 "You know Chinese?" Chenle asked surprised.


 "Yeah, I am Chinese. Look, I didn't come here to be fake and try to befriend you because you have money Chenle. I came because you left your tab open on the library computer. I was standing behind you waiting for my turn, but you were so engrossed in your suicide study that you probably didn't notice. I figured maybe it was for a paper that you had to write and tried to shrug it off, but concern took over and I asked the teachers if any students were assigned to write a paper about suicide. They said no. So I decided to keep a distant eye on you, not that I was trying to be a stalker, I was just concerned. I didn't approach you because the one time I did you told me you didn't have time to talk. I just hoped I would see you in school  the next day. For awhile you looked ok, but today you looked, no offense, awful. When I saw you trying to skip school I knew I had to try to stop you. Were you actually going to commit suicide?"


Chenle was beyond suprised. He was surprised that someone was so concerned for him that they literally stalked him, and hoped to see him everyday. His eyes were starting to blur, tears threatening to fall. "For me? You waisted your time for me?" He asked doing all that he possibly could to not break down. 


 "I don't know what's going on in your life, but I do know that whatever it is you shouldn't kill yourself. Take it from a person who never felt like anyone cared for him, and that there wasn't a good soul in the world. Suicide isn't the way to go. So yeah, I spent my time wisely watching you from a distance, because I-I'm so terribly afraid of being rejected more than once, so that if you tried to kill yourself I could stop you." Renjun said, concern in his eyes. He thought the only way he could help Chenle was to make himself completely vulnerable, by telling Chenle his trauma and his greatest fear.


 "Why?" Chenle broke. He let his tears fall. He couldn't understand why someone would do anything like that for him. No one ever did anything nice for Chenle. The nicest thing that was done for him was when someone agreed to get him a birthday present for a present in return. Chenle ended up with tube socks, and the other kid got an IPhone. The kids excuse was he figured he had everything so he just picked out something random, and your rich I'm not. This definitely topped that, but why would Renjun just do something like this for him? Was it for his money? Did he want him to do something for him.


 "Because that's what a respectable person would do, right?" Renjun shrugged. "Anyway, no one should just let someone kill themselves. That's why sitting with me at lunch. I'm keeping an eye on you for the rest of the day, and it's the least you can do since I'm probably gonna get detention." 


 "What's the catch?" Chenle said calming himself down.


 "There is no catch. Can't I jus be doing a good deed?" Renjun asked getting annoyed.


 "No one ever just does something nice." Chenle said. 


 "I used to believe that too, until I met Jaemin. I think you should meet him too. He'll probably coo at you until you die."  Renjun smiled fondly thinking back to their meeting.


"Who's Jaemin?" Chenle asked curious.


 "The nicest guy you'll ever meet. He was a jerk when I met him for the first time, but he's improved. A lot." 


 "There's gotta be a catch though." Chenle said again.


 Renjun sighed and mumbled something to himself. "Fine, since you want me to have some angle so bad. You come to lunch with me and let me follow you around all day, and I get to prove to my friends that I can make new friends without trying to kill them. Deal?" Renjun said sticking out his hand. He was obviously irritated.


 "Deal." Chenle agreed taking his hand and shaking it. Although he agreed he thought that having lunch with him and his friends, and helping him prove something to them, wouldn't in a million years amount to what Renjun was doing for him. He would try to pay Renjun back though. He promised himself. "Renjun-wèi." Chenle said when they walked back in school. By that time people were out of there classes and heading to lunch. "Since your student body president will you be mad if I run in the halls?" 


 "Yeah." Renjun responded, and before he could even think Chenle started rundown the hall and laughing. "Chenle, you're gonna die." Renjun said race walking after him. This time Chenle wasn't pretending. For once Chenle could be his true imperfect self.younger

***************************

Authors Note: Double update because I wanted to finish this chapter before I posted. More back stories in part 2 which I'm working on now. I don't think I'll be updating in another 2 weeks because I'm gonna be really busy at the least a week though. Anyway, hope you guys enjoy, and to those of you who have subscribed thank you for subscribing.