First Day

What is a Friend?

It's my first day of highschool. Believe me I don't want to go. Mom says "A new school will be  good for you! You get to meet new friends, and have fun!" Well, I don't think so. We can't even afford it. We could barely afford school supplies let alone my uniform, and just like my old school people will probably make fun of me for the poor excuse for shoes that I have. In my old school I had no friends. Sometimes I was so desperate for someone I would dream that I had a whole group of friends. I tried to make friends with the other students, but they wouldn't even talk to me. I wish they could just see me for who I am, and not judge me because of how I dress, and how I have to live. What I mean by how I have to live is this, me and my mom live in an poor excuse for a house with 2 floors, 2 bedrooms, and 1 bathroom. The sewage leaks into the clean water so we have to bathe and drink from water bottles, when we can actually afford them. When we can't afford water we just don't bathe, and as for drinking let's just say when it doesn't rain we have no other options. Our landlord made a deal with us, if we stop pestering him about fixing all the problems we have with our apartment (there are a lot) he won't kick us out when we can't pay the rent on time. The only issue with that is that we have to pay double rent the next month. We don't always have money for food, so I had to get a job at a back alley convenience store. When that's not enough I have to beg people for food, and if that doesn't work I have to steal it. Yeah, my mom works, but we're so in debt at the moment she can't really handle that. The one thing that's not shabby about my life are the schools I'm sent to. But I can't stand the other students even the teachers. They wouldn't even let me try out for the dance club, because everyone looked at me like I was the dirty beggar Seoul boy. I am the dirty beggar Seoul boy. No. I'm determined to make things go differently. It'll be fine. Yeah.
My mom had to go to work early, and the school bus won't stop where we live unless we pay for it, so I had to walk to school since I don't have money to get on a regular bus. Once I got to school I was tired, sweaty, and late. I had no idea where to go, or what to do, so I just stood there until I finally decided to sit down until what was hopefully the first class was over. When the bell rang I waited for everyone to leave the room before I entered to talk to the teacher. "I'm sorry I'm late." I said bowing.


 "Late on your first day. Not a good start." The teacher said.


 "I'm sorry, my house is at too far a distance for the bus to travel so I had to walk. When I got here class had already started, and I didn't know where I was supposed to be." I explained.


 "I'll let it slide this time Jisung, because it's your first day of school here, but next time I will have to penalize you." 


 "Thank you. I'm sorry." I bowed again.


 I was heading on my way to the door when the teacher stopped me saying. I asked the  school president to show you around. His name is Huang Renjun. He should be waiting outside of the  principals office for you. All you have to do is go down the hall, up the stairs, and make a right and you'll end up right in front of his office.'


I said "Ok." and bowed again so I could leave.


 "One more thing Jisung." The teacher said.


"Yes?"

 "Welcome to your new school. I hope you'll like it here." 


 "Thank you!" I said bowing again. Maybe everything will be alright here. I went to the principals office, and there I found Renjun. Once I saw him I immediately turned away, because I was afraid. He looked so intimidating . I'm guessing he saw me though because he walked up to me and  asked  "Hi, are you Park Jisung?" 


I was tempted to say no, but I didn't. The word "yes" wouldn't come out of my mouth though, so I just nodded. He smiled, and the intimidating side of him went away. How can someone just change like that? "I'm Huang Renjun, school president. I'm supposed to show you around school." Them he looked me up and down "You must be really loyal to those shoes." 


 "Huh?" I looked down and remembered my shoes. The originally white shoes  were almost black from dirt, and the bottom was coming apart. I would like to say I've had these shoes for forever, but I can't because I haven't. I actually just got them. I could no longer fit my old shoes and I found these on the street. It was either go shoeless or take them. I took them.
 "You ok?" Renjun asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.


 "Oh, yeah." I said nodding my head. "I guess I am."


 "You guess you're ok?" He asked confused.


 "No. I mean, I'm ok. I mean, I guess I'm loyal to my shoes." I laughed awkwardly.


He laughed "We have our next class together. I'll walk you there. Since it's the first day the teachers will be introducing themselves to new students, and basically telling us what we're going to be learning this year. Maybe we'll have some homework, but I doubt it. I'll give you the full tour during lunch."


"Ok Renjun." He looked back at me raising an eyebrow. Did I do something wrong? As soon as I thought that I realized what I did and face palmed myself. "I mean Renjun-ssi. I mean Huang Renjun-ssi." I looked down embarrassed. 


He laughed again "Come on, I don't want to be late." He said grabbing my hand, and practically dragging me down the hall.


"Renjun-ah!" I heard someone scream from behind us. I turned to see a boy with brown hair running toward us. "Yah, I hope you're not trying to kill the new kid." he said breathing heavily when he caught up. 


"The only person I'm gonna kill is you Na Jaemin, for running in the hall!" Renjun half yelled letting go of my hand, and putting him in choke hold. 


 "Ah it hurts." Jaemin moaned.


 "It's supposed to, otherwise it wouldn't be me doing it." Renjun said tightening his grip. I was trying not to laugh.


 "Ow! New kid, could you please help me?"


 "Don't even think about it Jisung. Unless you wanna die too." Renjun said grinning an evil grin. For a second I was scared of Renjun, until I heard him laugh and he let Jaemin go. "I'm just playing. With you, not him he's gonna die." He said pointing to Jaemin. "Sooner rather than later."


 I chuckled at the comment, and Jaemin laughed. "I'm sorry Renjun-ah. "


 "Renjun-ah?" Renjun said in a beg your pardon way.


 "I'm sorry Renjun hyung." Jaemin corrected himself.


Renjun folded his arms "Better, but I was kinda expecting you to have a little more respect and call me Renjun-ssi." 


 "Aren't we friends?" 


 "I don't know anymore." Renjun said playfully.


"Are you gonna introduce me to the new kid?" Jaemin asked 


 "Oh! Sorry, Jisung. Na Jaemin this is Park Jisung. Park Jisung this is Na Jaemin this schools number one heartthrob." Renjun said putting his hands over his chest overdramaticly. 


Jaemin smiled sweetly and said "Hi Park Jisung."


 "Hi Jaemin." No one has ever been this nice to me for no reason, I thought to myself. Then I realized I forgot to be formal. "I mean Jaemin-ssi. No. I mean, ugh. I mean, Na Jaemin-ssi.
He responded the same way Renjun did, he laughed. "Aigoo, cute. You don't have to call me Jaemin-ssi, you can call me hyung."


 "Hyung?" I asked confused. "I can call you, hyung?"


 "Yeah. Unless that makes you uncomfortable." He said putting his hands in his pockets.


 "No. It's fine." I smiled 


 "Cool! Yah, Jisung-ah do you dance?" Jaemin asked.


 "Jaemin-ie don't bother him with it." Renjun whined.


 "I dance, sometimes. It's a hobby." I said to Jaemin.


 "Do you want to join our dance club?" Jaemin asked. "Right now there are only 6 of us because it's a new club and all, and we're all friends."


 "Jaemin and our other friend Jeno, were kicked out of the other dance club for reasons I don't even know, and so they decided to make their own dance club. The Dream Dance Club. There are only six of us because no one else will join." Renjun said.


 "I'd really love to join your dance club." 


 "Really?" Jaemin and Renjun said in unison. "Jisung if you're just trying to be nice that's cool, but you really don't have to." Renjun added.


 "No. I mean, I really want to. Not just being nice." I smiled.


 "Daebak!" Jaemin seemed really excited. "We'll introduce you to the rest of the club members at lunch. He said putting his arm around my shoulder. I froze. Jaemin quickly removed his obviously sensing the tension of the moment. I didn't dislike the motion, but I've never had anyone put their arm around me like that.


"Sorry, I got excited." Jaemin said. I felt bad that I made him feel awkward.


 "No... I mean, it's alright. Uhh... well, it definitely wasn't you. I'm not use to that kind of motion that's all."


 "Oh, I get it." he smiled.


 "Anyway, Jisung is mine during lunch. I have to give him the school tour." Renjun said.
 "Can't you do that after school?" Jaemin whined.


 "No." Renjun said rolling his eyes.


 "Fine. Then we can meet after school!" Jaemin said.


 "I can't. I have to go to work after school." I said, genuinely wishing I didn't have to work.


 "Hmmm... How about after work?" Renjun suggested.


 "I have to go home." I said looking down. 


 "It's okay! We can always meet up tomorrow at lunch." Jaemin said.


 "Deal!" Me and Renjun said at the same time. "Jisung, can we have your phone number? So we can call you about club meetings, and stuff." Renjun asked.


 "Ummm... I don't have a-" I was cut short by the bell. 


 "Crap!" Renjun said angrily "We're late. This is all your fault Jaemin" as he finished he grabbed my hand and started running, once again practically dragging me.
In what felt like a breeze the first day in my new school ended. No one talked to me outside of Renjun hyung and Jaemin hyung, but that was a pretty start. Tomorrow I get to meet the Dream Dance Club. So for the first time in what feels like forever i have something to look forward to.