Aftershock

The Killing Room

Minutes after Nayeon ends her phone call with 911, the police that resides on campus show up. Officers are closing down the bedrooms and cordoning off the crime scene. Almost everyone who was present at the party has left and the only remaining people are Jeongyeon, Jihyo, Momo, Mina and ofcourse Nayeon. Everyone except Jeongyeon and Jihyo were asked to leave, but Jeongyeon and Jihyo asked the officers for their friends to stay so they could later head out together. After hesitating for a while the officers agreed, as long as they stay in the kitchen and do not come near the crime scene. That word just makes Jeongyeon sick to her stomach.

 

Who saw her first? Momo breaks the silence between the group who are standing around eachother. I did Jihyo cannot look anyone in the eye but decides to speak up. Jeongyeon is not able to hold her tears in anymore, but likes to speak up as well. It was just horrible seeing her dead body on the ground Jeongyeon breaks down in tears and covers her face. Jihyo comforts her and continues the conversation for Jeongyeon. We were just going upstairs and looked for a bedroom that was available. We noticed that a lot were occupied but finally found one that wasnt Jihyo takes a deep breath.

 We went in and were you know making out on the bed but when I looked to my left I saw Sana laying on the floor, unconscious, at least I thought she was. I jumped off the bed and when I looked at her body I noticed her head was surrounded by a pool of blood Jihyo starts to tear up.

 Jeongyeon gathers up her courage and tries to finish the conversation she started. I thought Jihyo was overreacting, that Sana was just drunk off her and just passed out on the floor. But I was wrong Jeongyeons voice cracks. I shook her body and checked her pulse. I screamed for Sana to wake up but she was not responding to me. That is when I was sure she was gone. It must have happened not that long before because her body was still warm. I could feel her body being warm, her wrists be tepid Jeongyeon lets out a wail.

 Nayeon hugs Jeongyeon as tight as she can and comforts her. Mina decides to comfort her friend as well and gives Jihyo a warm hug. Momo awkwardly watches her friends hug eachother but gets interrupted as a detective makes her way to the kitchen.

Sorry to interrupt you young ladies, but I need to start this investigation. Good evening or should I say night, I am detective Son Seungwan, but you can just call me Miss Son the detective chuckles. I am joking, you can call me Wendy. Probably easier to remember Wendy looks at the girls who just look awkwardly back at her, not sure if the detective is actually being this weird in such a serious situation. I apologize ladies, it is not the right time to crack jokes right now. Really, my mistake Wendy places her hand in the middle of her chest and makes a little bow gesture.

I have talked to the officers and I need Yoo Jeongyeon and Park Jihyo to come with me. I assume I can find the two of you here? Jihyo nods and intertwines her fingers with Jeongyeons. Do we need to go to the station for this? Jihyo asks the detective. No, we can just do it here for now Wendy looks at the remaining girls. In a separate room though, another detective will question your girlfriend Jihyo shoots a look at Jeongyeon and quickly corrects the statement that has been made. Oh she is not my girl- Jihyo is unable to finish her sentence as Wendy has already started walking towards an other room. Follow me ladies

 

As the two girls make their way to an other room, the other three of them are left in the kitchen. Nayeon seeks comfort in Momos arms and starts crying. She has been holding herself together for Jeongyeon, but the fact that the girl she secretly loves is now dead, is unbearable for her.

Nayeon breaks the hug and looks at Mina, who is walking towards her, preparing Nayeon for another hug.  I know how you felt about her, Nayeon. I always knew, and it is okay Mina speaks out with a low toned voice. Both Momo and Mina watch Nayeon cry and give her the opportunity to let everything out. Once Nayeon feels like she is finished, she mouths thank you to the two and picks up one of the many water bottles that are placed on the kitchen counter.

Mina looks at Momo, who immediately looks away as soon as she notices that she is being stared at. I know this is not the most appropriate time to ask you Nayeon but…” Mina looks at Nayeon. Are you not introducing me to your cute friend over here? Mina smiles and looks back at Momo, who is almost red as a tomato now.

Nayeon bursts out laughing and introduces Momo and Mina to eachother. Nayeon mentions that she and Mina used to be friends in high school, but that they just parted ways in college. Mina gets excited when her former friend informs her that Momo moved here from Japan. She starts saying something in Japanese and her eyes light up when Momo responds back in their native language.

The atmosphere changes when Jeongyeon and Jihyo come back from their interrogation. Suddenly the girls remember that a murder happened right above them. As they are planning to go home, Nayeon makes sure Momo stays at her place. Jeongyeon also prefers Jihyo staying at their dorm. Nayeon could not leave Mina alone though, and suggested she also stayed over at their dorm. She tried to brighten up her mood by saying it could be a sleepover, like old times.

 

Nayeon wakes up from the very few hours of sleep she had. Without her waking up every now and then, she can probably add up the amount of barely three hours of sleep. She looks to her left, where Momo is laying down and currently staring at the ceiling being wide awake.

 I thought looking at the ceiling would help me fall asleep, but it has been hours Momo looks to her right and pouts at the as awfully looking Nayeon. Lets get up and get something to eat. It is morning anyways so why not start our day early?” Momo looks at her phone and is surprised that Nayeon is right. Damn, did not even notice it is seven already Momo mouths as she tries to get up from the bed.

 

Nayeon walks into the living room with Momo catching up behind her. Looking at the couch, they see a hand waving at them. They get greeted by a groggy Mina, who apparently has not had any sleep as well. Mina makes place for them on the couch and the three of them just look around the living room. It is silent and Mina decides to make the living room a bit more lively, suggesting to turn the TV on. Nayeon where is the remote?

It is on the kitchen table, wait, I will get it for you Jeongyeon walks into the living room and makes her way to the tiny kitchen to grab the remote. Jihyo enters the room and plops herself on one of the chairs. Same goes for Jeongyeon and Jihyo; they also look like they have not slept at all. Jeongyeon turns on the TV and everyones attention immediately goes to the screen when they hear the latest news.

 

This just in: a twenty-one year old student was found dead at a local university. Police say the girl died due to a head injury and was presumably murdered. More details will be released later in an official statement

 

 

God please turn that off Nayeon looks away, not being able to look at the devastating news. I am sorry Jeongyeon turns off the TV and the room becomes awfully silent. Jihyo gets up and announces she is going to make everyone some pancakes, so they can have a proper breakfast. Mina offers to help her and walks towards the kitchen with her.

 Nayeon is still upset about the news and decides to get some water. When she approaches the kitchen, she hears some whispering and decides to lurk on the girls.

 

We need to talk. We cant let it go so easily

 

Nayeon tries to listen carefully. Is that Minas voice?

 

Not now. Not here. We will talk about this later

 

Nayeon clears as she makes her way into the kitchen. Jihyo slightly jumps at Nayeons sudden entrance but brushes it off by smiling. Mina gives her a little smile too. Nayeon gets herself a glass of water and makes her way back to the couch.

 

Nayeon just ignored the conversation she overheard, for now atleast. She must admit the pancakes Jihyo made were one of the best pancakes she has ever had. Nayeon looks at Momo, who is munching forever on her pancake with a huge smile on her face. Jeongyeon still looks clearly upset. Jihyo and Mina just have a neutral look on their face, but you can tell they are trying to be strong and are keeping themselves together.

After everyone finishes their breakfast Mina decides it is a suitable time to leave. She asks Jihyo if she can use her phone to get an Uber, since her own phone died. Nayeon overhears the two and insists on taking Mina home. The past few hours have been crazy and it just did not feel right to let Mina take an Uber alone.

The drive to Minas apartment is hushed. Mina only speaks to give Nayeon the right directions, and other then the radio there is no other sound to be heard in the car. The ride does not feel awkward though, they are enjoying the silence. Nayeon just cant stop thinking about the conversation she overheard and wonders if something happened before between Mina and Sana. Nayeon stops her car when Mina announces they have reached her apartment.

Thank you for dropping me off Nayeon. Actually, thank you for everything. You did not have to let me stay over but I am glad you did. I definitely did not want to stay alone yesterday Mina hugs Nayeon. No problem, I am glad you stayed over too.

Mina looks out of her window. She is really gone, huh? Nayeon fumbles with her car keys and just nods.

Where were you when it happened Mina? Nayeon looks at Mina. Are you seriously asking me this right now? Mina scoffs. Yeah, I am seriously asking you this right now

Mina shakes her head in disbelief. I dont know. Probably dancing. Why? Do you think I did it?

Nayeon tightens her grip on the steering wheel. I dont know  I mean You always had some anger issues back when we were friends. The way you snapped at some of those kids back in high school and beat them up? What if you got mad at Sana and snapped? Accidentally beat her to death? We all know you have been holding a grudge since you became distant with her

Mina looks shocked at Nayeon and opens the car door. Listen I know you are probably still in shock from yesterday, but I do not need to hear this right now. I will hear an apology when you get back to your senses. Goodbye Mina slams the door shut and walks towards her apartment.