Remember when?

The Killing Room

Nayeon heads into the living room and sees several pizza boxes placed on the coffee table. Momo and Jihyo are chatting with eachother and eating their pizzas, while Jeongyeon is searching through her Netflix dashboard so they can watch something.

Momo ordered some pizza for us and we ate most of it, but dont worry we left some for you as well. Did Mina get home safe? Jeongyeon asks while shoving a pizza slice in . Nayeon remembers the tensed conversation they had in the car. Yeah, she was a bit upset over Sana ofcourse but that is to be expected Momo and Jihyo look at Nayeon and nod as they agree with her.

 

Jeongyeon looks at the girls and decides to start a discussion. Who do you think did it? Who do you think murdered Sana? She looks at the other girls who look a bit uncomfortable answering the question.

 Jihyo decides to speak up. Who would not have done it?  Jeongyeon frowns at Jihyos comment. Why would you say that? What do you even mean with that?  Jihyo shakes her head. Nothing. Let it go Jeongyeon does not want to let it go though. No, finish what you started. What do mean with that comment you made?  Momo steps in and agrees with Jeongyeon. Yeah, I am curious now too. What do you mean with that?

Jihyo sighs. I am just saying that Sana was not a saint. Someone must have murdered her for a reason. Maybe she even deserved to be All the other girls look at her with a shocked expression. Did Jihyo just really say that?

Jihyo immediately regrets saying those words. That is not what I meant Jihyo looks down to her lap, embarrassed of the poor choice of words to express her feelings about the matter. Momo looks at Jihyo who notices she is clearly upset after saying that. It is okay Jihyo, we are all a mess. How about we head home? You live in the Eastern part of the city, right? Me too, so we can take the subway together Jihyo nods and they both get up.

 Nayeon gets up too and wants to prevent both of them from leaving. Let me drive you guys home Momo physically stops Nayeon from moving any further and disagrees. No, you need to rest. Besides, me and Jihyo will be together so you do not have to worry about anything Nayeon gives Momo a reluctant look. Are you sure about this? I dont know- Jihyo steps in and agrees with Momo. We will be fine, we got this!

After saying a quick goodbye Momo and Jihyo leave the dorm. The way Jihyo talked about Sana still left Jeongyeon with an uneasy feeling, making their goodbye slightly awkward and informal. Everyone could notice the stiff hug the two gave eachother.

 

Jeongyeon and Nayeon were back to being the only ones left in the dorm. Back to normal you would say, but everyone knows that is not the case. Jeongyeon finally finds a movie on Netflix that she wants to watch. Nayeon uses this as the perfect opportunity to think things through. She excuses herself and makes her way to her room, leaving the half-sleeping Jeongyeon alone in the living room.

 

Nayeon sits behind her desk, ready to start figuring things out. She rubs her eyes and yawns. Clearly she is exhausted from the lack of sleep she has had the past twenty four hours, but she wants to do this now. Nayeon needs to figure out who is behind this. She starts to write down the possible reasons why the two suspects in her mind might have done this. Why Mina or Jihyo did it.

 

Starting off with remembering everything about Mina and the times they spent together, Nayeon tries to write down reasons why Mina might have killed Sana.

Mina:

-has an issue with controlling her anger. Has been in fights before during high school.              

-Sana and Mina stopped being friends in college. Things did not end in good terms. Why?    

-find out if she has had any outbursts lately!!!!!                                                                                   

-find out where Mina was when the murder happened.           

             

Nayeon moves on to her next suspect. Jihyo.

Jihyo:

-Was being really weird about Sana when she talked about who the suspect could be??

-Used to be slightly bullied in the past.

That is when Nayeon remembers the endless times that Sana joked about Jihyos weight in the past.

Jihyo used to be a bit chubbier during high school. Some girls bullied her for it, but Sana used to make 'funny' jokes about her weight. Behind her back and in her face. There was always a look of discomfort in Jihyos face and Nayeon often told Sana to stop teasing her. Sana used to shush everyone and made everyone known that it was just some meaningless teasing. Was this Jihyos way of taking revenge?

 

Nayeon stops focusing on her list and decides to get some well-deserved sleep. She has plenty of time to delve deeper into this situation since classes have been cancelled for three days straight. Nayeon rips out the paper sheet from her notebook and places it under a bunch of other paperwork, just in case someone goes into her room and finds the suspect list.

 

The next morning Nayeon wakes up to a normal looking scenario. Jeongyeon is sprawled over the couch and has not reached her bedroom the previous night. It happens pretty often that Jeongyeon falls asleep while watching TV. Nayeon wants to scold her for wasting so much electricity by leaving the TV on, but for now she just lets it go. She grabs the nearest pillow she can find and throws it on the younger girls head, leading her to wake up and growl. Both of them definitely slept better last night.

As there is no class they decide to stay in and finish some coursework for next week. Both got emails from several professors that they have been excused from certain projects if they prefer that, but honestly, they just want to be treated normal.

 

Nayeon goes through her e-mails and finds an interesting one. Dude, did you see the e-mail about the wake for Sana that is being held on Thursday? Jeongyeon frowns and checks her e-mail to see if she received it too. Yes, I see- No way…” Nayeon looks at a bewildered Jeongyeon and must say that she is too herself. Jeongyeon huffs. No way! Jennie Kim is hosting the wake with Park Sooyoung? You must be kidding me! Nayeon nods her head several times. Right! Everyone will see how they are going to fake their tears and make the wake all about themselves. Way to let the two fakest sorority sisters host it Jeongyeon completely agrees. They should have let Park Chaeyoung do it. Atleast she is sincere Nayeon scratches her head. Definitely, but I think they did this because Jennie and Sooyoung are the same age as Sana. It is still super lame though. Anyways, I want to go to the wake. So lets go. I think it will do us good Jeongyeon gives Nayeon a quick thumbs up and they resume with their work.

 

The following day the girls are watching some TV in the living room. When their show gets interrupted by local news, the two start paying attention when they hear the following:

BREAKING NEWS: details about the murder of the twenty-one year old student at a local university, that occurred last Friday, have been released. The following segment will release the official statement from the police.

A young woman starts appearing on screen, being revealed as the head detective for the case. It is weird since it is not the same detective that was at the scene on Friday. Detective Wendy

The unknown detective asks for the surrounded reporters to remain quiet as she is ready to release the statement.

Good afternoon, my name is detective Kang and I will be the head detective in charge for this murder investigation. My colleague, detective Son, will help me with this case so you might hear information from her in the future as well. Now moving on to the information every viewer has been waiting for:

On Friday night twenty- one year old student Minatozaki Sana was murdered in a frat house at the North side of the university. We are certain that this case can be treated as a homicide. Miss Minatozaki died due to a head injury and is presumably hit with a hard and/or sharp object, according to the forensic pathologist.

Please understand that we are still investigating this case and have not found our main suspect yet. We will do our best to find the person who committed this crime and make sure that our city is safe again.

That is it for now, thank you for your time.

The detective walks off from the stand and the news is now focused on some other topic. Nayeon tries to come up with an excuse so she can leave the house and dive deeper into this investigation herself. She informs Jeongyeon she is going to campus to do some work. Jeongyeon lets her be and assumes its just Nayeon wanting some time and space for herself. Nayeon has some other plans in mind though.

 

While patiently waiting in front of the door and giving it another knock, Nayeon looks on her phone to see if someone has messaged her. With no surprise of having no messages, she looks up when the door gets opened. Nayeon? That is a pleasant surprise

Jihyo pushes the door further open and makes way for Nayeon to enter her apartment. The apartment itself looks small, but once you enter it you realize how spacious it is.

I am sorry for just barging in. I wanted to check how you are doing. The atmosphere got a bit awkward that day you left my place Nayeon says with a sheepish smile. Jihyo nods. Yeah things got a bit awkward, but I truly did not mean to sound like that. Jeongyeon has not even texted me back but it is alright, I get her Nayeon tries to comfort her. Do not worry, she has not been responding to a lot of people. I think the only people she texts back are her parents

Jihyo gets some snacks and something to drink for the two. They start talking about high school and remembered all the mutual classmates they had. At one point they ended up talking about someone they would rather avoid: Sana.

I know you did not mean what you said that day Jihyo Nayeon mumbles while eating one of the snacks that are placed on the table. How does it feel not to be bullied anymore since college started though? Nayeon asks.

Bold of you to assume that I am not getting bullied anymore Jihyo spits out. Nayeon shoots a look. You still get bullied? I thought that ended since high school  Jihyo bites her lip Guess it ended since Friday

What? Care to explain? The news comes as a shock to Nayeon.

Jihyo regrets her words but is unable to change the topic. She needs to start talking. You know how in high school Sana used to bully me? It became less once we started college but it still happened

Nayeon is surprised by Jihyos comment. Bully you in high school? I mean, I was there at times and it was just some teasing. You know she did not mean it like that Jihyos corners of twitch. Teasing? I am baffled how oblivious you are to things Nayeon. Teasing is acceptable, I tease too and yes that is normal. But when you get confronted with the fact that you weigh a bit more than other girls, it is exhausting. Now imagine, hearing this every day, from a girl whose body you wish you had. Not to mention that she would make the jokes in front of others, forcing me to listen to other girls laughing at her jokes at the expense of my weight. Others, including you

Nayeon is dumbstruck by Jihyos confrontation. When she takes a minute to think about what Jihyo said, she realizes she is right. Nayeon might have stopped Sana from teasing Jihyo sometimes, but it was always for a temporary time. She never told her to stop making those jokes on the long run.

Jihyo notices that Nayeon is thinking things through and decides to get something else to drink for them, this time a drink that is a bit stronger. I think we both need this Jihyo pours in some vodka in a glass and hands it to Nayeon. Nayeon tries to find the right words to tell Jihyo but Jihyo speaks up before she can. It is okay Nayeon. I know you feel bad and all is forgiven. You are a good person. Besides, it was high school. It is bound to be messy Nayeon chuckles. I am sorry though. But what about college? So, Sana did not stop?

Jihyo slowly shakes her head and takes a sip from her glass. No. Sana stopped teasing me in front of others, well besides her sorority sisters, but it was still happening. It was less frequent, but it still happened. Shes so inconsiderate

That is not true Nayeon tries to defend Sana. Jihyo disagrees with her. To you she was not inconsiderate I guess. But just because she was not that towards you does not mean she was a good person in general Nayeon looks at Jihyo and raises her glass. Wise words

 

They move on from all the serious talk and start talking about college. Jihyo and Nayeon never have been close but considering they have some mutual friends now, they find it the right time to get to know eachother better. From endless talks about Jeongyeon, Jihyo asking Nayeon if she is dating Momo with Nayeon almost getting a seizure trying to deny that they are, to talking about how fake Sanas sorority sisters are. I really can not decide who is worse; Sooyoung or Jennie Jihyo pours more vodka in both of their glasses. Jennie. No wait- definitely Sooyoung. No but Jennie is horrible too Nayeon cant decide. Jihyo smiles at Nayeon. Both just are

How is Mina doing? I have not talked to her since I dropped her off Nayeon anxiously waits for Jihyos reply as she does not know if Mina mentioned the conversation they had in the car.

She is doing alright. Actually, I have not been talking to anyone since I left your place. Thank you for coming, it is nice Jihyo gives Nayeon a smile.

It was nice to have Mina over. It has been a while since me and Mina properly spent some time together. It was nice to reconnect a bit. She has not really changed since high school Nayeon smiles while reminiscing the times they spent together.

I did not expect Mina to get into that fight in high school though! She looks so sweet and innocent

Fight? You mean fights! Girl had some serious anger issues back then Nayeon snickers. Does she still have them?

Jihyo tries to remember the last time Mina was a bit angry. Oh yeah, oh wow, she actually was mad at Sana right beforeuh Nayeon gets curious. Mina fought with Sana that night?

Jihyo looks around her, which does not even make sense since no one is home but wants to make sure no one can hear them. You keep this between us alright?  Nayeon nods.

Mina came up to me on Friday, all angry, and I asked her what was wrong. For some reason she was really mad at Sana and apparently Mina even slapped her. It was after a long time that I saw Mina being that angry Jihyo tries to remember more. You see that day I did not really care about it, but she did act a bit weird when we were at your dorm the next day. I think it had something to do with Chaeyoung

Nayeon raises her eyebrows. Sanas sorority sister Chaeyoung or that sketchy freshman Chaeyoung? Jihyo makes a no gesture with her finger. Definitely that freshman. I was drinking that day, so it did not make any sense. Still does not make any sense

 

Nayeon is happy with the new information she just received. Find out what happened between Mina, Sana and Chaeyoung. Noted.