Chapter 2

Beauty of the Shore
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Kun awoke, the entire sea seemed to be buzzing in excitement. Different species of fish swam back and forth excitedly before zooming off into the distance. Kun slowly grabbed his things and carefully made his way back to where he saw the humans last night. Luckily for him, it was raining quite heavily and there wasn’t a human in sight. Laughing to himself about his luck, he swam closer to the shore. The absence of humans admittedly made him put down his guard as he swam so far into the shallows that his belly was dragging on the sand.

 

It amazed him at how different the shores looked all around the world. One part could have bone white sand, the other could have pebbles. The places beyond the shore of course always looked different as well. He had been to shores that looked like no human had ever set foot there before. That was the only place he dared to come almost ashore. The elders often told stories of merpeople that got washed ashore and dried up in the sun. He was always warned not to go on land no matter what.

 

Never talk to humans and never go on land. Those were his two rules. As he skimmed the shallows for anything interesting he heard squealing from nearby. Swinging his head around, he saw the group of humans he saw last night playing around on a dock about 100 ft away. Again that one human strayed away from the group. Kun, panicking, went back into the water and went far to the ocean floor, hoping none of them saw him. He put a hand to his chest. His heart was beating so fast.

 

He stared in the general direction of the dock and noticed it came to an end in pretty deep water. Biting his lip, he thought about swimming to it.

 

“This is crazy..” He whispered to him as he brushed a curious angelfish away before swimming along the ocean floor, knowing that the storm would make the water dark enough that he wouldn’t be seen. Once he was under it, he swam up to it and noticed there was a small pocket of air between the water and the underside of the dock.

 

As soon as he went above the water he could hear the humans walking around.

 

“Bet you $100 you won’t jump in right now.”

 

“Why would I jump in?”

 

“Okay, bet you $100 to jump in and grab a rock from the bottom.”

 

“Nah, man. You know that water is cold as hell.”

 

Kun’s curiosity was peaked. Why did they want a rock? He peeked thr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter