Chapter 1

Beauty of the Shore
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kun was always intrigued by humans. He loved watching them from afar, seeing how they play and interact with each other. It was always so interesting to see them swim and just genuinely have fun in the water even though they couldn’t breathe in it as he could. All the other mermaids and mermen were terrified of humans because of the history between the two species. Humans had nearly hunted them all to near extinction. The last few merpeople had retreated to the parts of the ocean that humans never go in. The Bermuda Triangle was home to the biggest population of them because of the human’s fear of the place. Little did they know that all the disappearances were because of old leaders in the kingdom that chose… less dignified ways of dealing with humans. Luckily the new leaders were much more humane.

 

Even though he was the black sheep of the species for his interest in the two-legged creatures, Kun loved to travel around the world. He caught some of the names uttered from humans in passing. It was on his latest trip that his life was completely turned upside down. And he wouldn’t want to trade the change for anything.

 

 

 

“Kun, do you really want to go there? The tailless are so violent there.” Kun’s younger sister asked as she picked nervously at her teal colored tail.

 

“I don’t think they’re violent. Besides, no one will see me. I’ve been traveling for a couple years and I haven’t been found yet. I promise you I’ll be fine. I’ll be back in 3 months. Take care of Mom for me, okay?” He smiled at her and ruffled her hair when she smiled widely and nodded.

 

“Will you bring me something?”

 

“Of course I will! I always have! Any specific requests?”

 

“Something colorful!” She swam around excitedly.

 

“Something colorful, you got it.” Kissing her forehead, he patted her shoulder. “See ya little minnow.”

 

“Bye dolphin!!”

 

Kun grabbed his bag, he admittedly used one from the humans. He’s actually used several bags from the human world. They don’t seem to last very long, probably something with being in salt water permanently. As his little sister swam out of the room and she was soon replaced by Kun’s mother.

 

“Son? Can I convince you to stay? I fear I won’t be in the ocean for much longer.”

 

“Mother, I promise I’ll be back soon.” He hugged her tightly before putting the bag strap on his arm and heading out. His destination would take a couple weeks to swim to so the amount of time he’ll actually have observing the humans will be cut down to amount a month and a h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter